Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Griffins?
Or gryphons?
What even is the difference?
Or gryphons?
What even is the difference?
There is no difference, you can say either griffin, griffon or gryphon, which is more akin to the greek word for them that is γρυφων
There is no difference, you can say either griffin, griffon or gryphon, which is more akin to the greek word for them that is γρυφων
WBsJuD1.pngiQrvnPv.pngfvfrO0T.pngg2TOb2t.pngzy5WGDV.png
[quote name="5keletons" date="2019-10-08 09:28:56" ] There is no difference, you can say either griffin, griffon or gryphon, which is more akin to the greek word for them that is γρυφων [/quote] Thank you! I wondered that, too. AND I KNOW GREEK MY GOODNESS
5keletons wrote on 2019-10-08 09:28:56:
Thank you! I wondered that, too.
AND I KNOW GREEK MY GOODNESS
50316481p.png
FR +9 G1 collector Wishlist AvatarAdoptables
I prefer the spelling gryphon, but either work. To me, Gryphon is the name of a mythical creature, and Griffin/Griffon is a human name derived from the mythical creature, but idk honestly, that's just what my brain has seemingly decided. Any of those spellings work, and there's technically not really any difference between them :)
I prefer the spelling gryphon, but either work. To me, Gryphon is the name of a mythical creature, and Griffin/Griffon is a human name derived from the mythical creature, but idk honestly, that's just what my brain has seemingly decided. Any of those spellings work, and there's technically not really any difference between them :)
oAK3y8z.png AfamSig.gif
In my own "headcanon" a griffin is smaller and animalistic, dull-colored and no larger or more intelligent than a wild dog, and a gryphon is a large, noble, possibly sentient beast with a rivalry with dragons. But I accept either.
In my own "headcanon" a griffin is smaller and animalistic, dull-colored and no larger or more intelligent than a wild dog, and a gryphon is a large, noble, possibly sentient beast with a rivalry with dragons. But I accept either.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
They all relate to to the same mythical creature, just different spellings. Like fairy, faery, or fairie.
They all relate to to the same mythical creature, just different spellings. Like fairy, faery, or fairie.
For me, every day is World Kindness Day. b59f9d9c-60d2-11eb-95e1-814ec59a413c.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.gif
I generally see griffons as the 'modern' variation of the species -- the smaller, faster scavengers that live in human cities. Gryphons, on the other hand, are the larger variant of the species seen more in ancient times, and griffins are the umbrella term for both. Of course, they're generally VERY interchangeable.
I generally see griffons as the 'modern' variation of the species -- the smaller, faster scavengers that live in human cities. Gryphons, on the other hand, are the larger variant of the species seen more in ancient times, and griffins are the umbrella term for both. Of course, they're generally VERY interchangeable.
Gr15mqs.png
I6Ay4yi.gifwLQRY4q.gif