Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tea lovers, help me out here
1 2 3
So, I really, really, really want to like tea. But I just don't, no matter what blend or brand. It's too herbaceous/watered-down for me. I like coffee, hot chocolate, and even instant apple cider, but just...not tea.

Any tips to convert me into a cultured, avid tea-drinker?
So, I really, really, really want to like tea. But I just don't, no matter what blend or brand. It's too herbaceous/watered-down for me. I like coffee, hot chocolate, and even instant apple cider, but just...not tea.

Any tips to convert me into a cultured, avid tea-drinker?
Try it with ice and sugar.

You’ll like it a whole lot more.

(Put in sugar while the tea is hot so it can dissolve, then make it cold)
Try it with ice and sugar.

You’ll like it a whole lot more.

(Put in sugar while the tea is hot so it can dissolve, then make it cold)
2KwZtRK.png7nppAyR.png
[font=monospace][b]Maybe try sweet teas first? To be honest I wasn't much of a tea fan, until I tried sweeter teas and eventually grew to love the more herbal warm teas, too. My favorite tea is the Arizona Tea line. [emoji=guardian winking size=1]
Maybe try sweet teas first? To be honest I wasn't much of a tea fan, until I tried sweeter teas and eventually grew to love the more herbal warm teas, too.

My favorite tea is the Arizona Tea line.
vaOV9W8.gif
Try a tea called Cupcake Tea.
( some companies call it birthday cake tea though,)
Some batches come with sprinkles in them. Then add a whole ton of sugar and cream.
Try a tea called Cupcake Tea.
( some companies call it birthday cake tea though,)
Some batches come with sprinkles in them. Then add a whole ton of sugar and cream.
l\__/l
{='.'=} This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your
(“)_(”) signature to help Kitty gain world domination.
If the taste is too watery, you could maybe try steeping the blends longer than recommended? It doesn't necessarily work for all teas, but it definitely brings out the flavor more. And, like others above have mentioned, you can cut some of the bitterness with sweeteners.

Also, what kinds of blends have you tried? Have you experimented with herbal blends, green blends, or black blends? And do you try mostly plain ones or teas with other flavors mixed in?
If the taste is too watery, you could maybe try steeping the blends longer than recommended? It doesn't necessarily work for all teas, but it definitely brings out the flavor more. And, like others above have mentioned, you can cut some of the bitterness with sweeteners.

Also, what kinds of blends have you tried? Have you experimented with herbal blends, green blends, or black blends? And do you try mostly plain ones or teas with other flavors mixed in?
NHCZe8E.gifnMkuik2.gifwO1H58F.gif
Have you tried eating anything with matcha in it? That's green tea powder, babey. And it is DELICIOUS.

Also good: Earl Grey ice cream. McConnell's makes the stuff, if you want to know. They even put shortbread cookie chunks in their recipe!
Have you tried eating anything with matcha in it? That's green tea powder, babey. And it is DELICIOUS.

Also good: Earl Grey ice cream. McConnell's makes the stuff, if you want to know. They even put shortbread cookie chunks in their recipe!
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
Twining's of London is a very good brand with a wide variety of flavors. You can get everything from the standard Earl Grey to herbal blends such as Buttermint (peppermint with vanilla). I personally like them because off of their tea smells fresh.

If it tastes watered down, you're likely using too much water or not letting it seep long enough.
Twining's of London is a very good brand with a wide variety of flavors. You can get everything from the standard Earl Grey to herbal blends such as Buttermint (peppermint with vanilla). I personally like them because off of their tea smells fresh.

If it tastes watered down, you're likely using too much water or not letting it seep long enough.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
As a tea lover, I really want to help with this. But I feel like I need to know more. In danger of sounding creepy, but what don't you like about tea? What have you tried? How do you take your coffee? What flavors do you like? Tea is such a complex, diverse, and lovely thing.
As a tea lover, I really want to help with this. But I feel like I need to know more. In danger of sounding creepy, but what don't you like about tea? What have you tried? How do you take your coffee? What flavors do you like? Tea is such a complex, diverse, and lovely thing.
responds to blue or willow; she/her pronouns
i got used to tea the way i got to used to coffee: i started off only being able to drink it as a horrible dessert monstrosity of sugar and cream and syrup, and then worked my way down to drinking plain. tea i also just forced myself more than coffee though, i'd just sometimes brew a batch of green tea and chug it until the taste with no sugar/milk didn't bother me.

also whenever tea is too watery i just steep it far longer. though now i like my tea pretty bitter which may not be what you're looking for.

also, quality of tea matters! i only got used to plain coffee because i was working as a barista and drinking really nice quality beans ground as needed, not starbucks or instant or pre-ground that was sitting forever. tea is the same way. loose leaf is usually fresher and better quality than teabags, though that's not to say teabags are bad.
i got used to tea the way i got to used to coffee: i started off only being able to drink it as a horrible dessert monstrosity of sugar and cream and syrup, and then worked my way down to drinking plain. tea i also just forced myself more than coffee though, i'd just sometimes brew a batch of green tea and chug it until the taste with no sugar/milk didn't bother me.

also whenever tea is too watery i just steep it far longer. though now i like my tea pretty bitter which may not be what you're looking for.

also, quality of tea matters! i only got used to plain coffee because i was working as a barista and drinking really nice quality beans ground as needed, not starbucks or instant or pre-ground that was sitting forever. tea is the same way. loose leaf is usually fresher and better quality than teabags, though that's not to say teabags are bad.
tumblr_inline_nm5aogxI3C1t2i6sg.giftumblr_inline_nm5amd4Rto1t2i6sg.gif
I think if you really don't like tea, no matter how much you try to, at a certain point you just have to accept that. If you end up finding a type of tea that you like, that's great, but there's no shame in not liking a certain drink. I drink about 5 cups of tea every day, but that's because I enjoy the taste of it.

Earl grey and jasmine green are some of my favorite types if you haven't tried those already.
I think if you really don't like tea, no matter how much you try to, at a certain point you just have to accept that. If you end up finding a type of tea that you like, that's great, but there's no shame in not liking a certain drink. I drink about 5 cups of tea every day, but that's because I enjoy the taste of it.

Earl grey and jasmine green are some of my favorite types if you haven't tried those already.
giphy.gif
1 2 3