Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Did You Have To Learn Cursive in School?
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
I’m from the US, I had to learn cursive in 2nd and 3rd grade... I think around 2005 or so. Not sure if they do it anymore, but my mom is a teacher and it sounds like her middle school students don’t know it, but they might have just forgotten or not paid attention.
I’m from the US, I had to learn cursive in 2nd and 3rd grade... I think around 2005 or so. Not sure if they do it anymore, but my mom is a teacher and it sounds like her middle school students don’t know it, but they might have just forgotten or not paid attention.
vlHpjp8.png .
he/him

FR+3:00
. .
checked on swipp, baldwin, or arlo lately?
_ wizardry2.gif
I did back in...2nd grade? I remember everyone telling me that I am expected to use cursive in middle and high school but after elementary I never used it. I admitly don't even remember how to write in cursive nor can I read it well haha.

Even in college I do everything online and when I do have to hand write something professors insist on not using cursive
I did back in...2nd grade? I remember everyone telling me that I am expected to use cursive in middle and high school but after elementary I never used it. I admitly don't even remember how to write in cursive nor can I read it well haha.

Even in college I do everything online and when I do have to hand write something professors insist on not using cursive
b475fdbf7abba9d7392a9af135ba67132dcc1c0f.gif

guy / +2 FRT / 25
forum pings on
Yep I learned cursive all the way up to 5th grade. I can still write in it and can read it tho I have a little trouble with some letters. Sometimes I'll even write in it for fun.
My little sister isn't learning it so whenever it comes up it still boggles my mind that she won't ever know how to write with it.

The only thing that I wonder about is how kids are gonna do signatures?? Are they just gonna print it messily or???
Yep I learned cursive all the way up to 5th grade. I can still write in it and can read it tho I have a little trouble with some letters. Sometimes I'll even write in it for fun.
My little sister isn't learning it so whenever it comes up it still boggles my mind that she won't ever know how to write with it.

The only thing that I wonder about is how kids are gonna do signatures?? Are they just gonna print it messily or???
image.pngwGjTru5.pngUcA1ifP.pngimage.png
I learned cursive in 2nd/3rd grade and just used it all throughout my school career. I still do it from time to time. I guess it wasn't a chore for me because I don't recall ever hating it. My issue was being taught by a right-handed teacher (as I'm left-handed).
I learned cursive in 2nd/3rd grade and just used it all throughout my school career. I still do it from time to time. I guess it wasn't a chore for me because I don't recall ever hating it. My issue was being taught by a right-handed teacher (as I'm left-handed).
9iqeDz7.png
1st-3rd grade

I never learned it well, my signature in cursive is awful lol

But it makes sense to do some sort of connected shorthand when in a hurry
1st-3rd grade

I never learned it well, my signature in cursive is awful lol

But it makes sense to do some sort of connected shorthand when in a hurry
3u37mIB.png
I was casually forced to in third grade, and you would get a failing grade if you didn't write in cursive. Now, years later, I can only write my name in cursive, and that's all I remember.
I was casually forced to in third grade, and you would get a failing grade if you didn't write in cursive. Now, years later, I can only write my name in cursive, and that's all I remember.

nfZCrZ4.png
I dont mind being pinged!
In grade school, my teacher wouldn't accept any assignment unless we wrote in cursive. I'm actually glad she made us do it. I write faster in cursive than I guess print.
In grade school, my teacher wouldn't accept any assignment unless we wrote in cursive. I'm actually glad she made us do it. I write faster in cursive than I guess print.
Please ping me if you want me to read something.
Light's Baldwin Trading Thread
ColiforLife_zpscbfcm2si.jpg
I remember having to use cursive almost religiously in years 3-4
by 5-6 you'd be somewhat looked down on if you didn't
by high school no one cared
now I can barely write my name in cursive
or in general, my handwriting is awful haha

It was funny how, even as kids, I can remember how everyone could tell we'd never actually use it, despite every adult's insistence of otherwise
guess who was right
I remember having to use cursive almost religiously in years 3-4
by 5-6 you'd be somewhat looked down on if you didn't
by high school no one cared
now I can barely write my name in cursive
or in general, my handwriting is awful haha

It was funny how, even as kids, I can remember how everyone could tell we'd never actually use it, despite every adult's insistence of otherwise
guess who was right
///////////tumblr_p5wzkf4NYZ1vamgqko1_100.png
DQR0xuP.png
FObX7rS.png
HdmxfuE.png
5hF3FGk.png
Pgv53XB.png
R5gBjNt.png ////////ebwdsO1.png
Yeah, as a Brit born and bred, I also was forced into using cursive in primary school, with us being publicly named and shamed if we didn't ( I remember more than one time where a teacher effectively told someone that they should go back to nursery class because they wrote in block).

This, combined with being towards the back end of the "You MUST write with your right hand!" era of thinking (and, tbh, an awful primary school in general), led from my neat, left-handed block writing to a messy, right-handed scrawl that is nearly impossible to read. My block letters still look much neater, but having cursive drummed into my skull for years makes it really hard to switch.
Yeah, as a Brit born and bred, I also was forced into using cursive in primary school, with us being publicly named and shamed if we didn't ( I remember more than one time where a teacher effectively told someone that they should go back to nursery class because they wrote in block).

This, combined with being towards the back end of the "You MUST write with your right hand!" era of thinking (and, tbh, an awful primary school in general), led from my neat, left-handed block writing to a messy, right-handed scrawl that is nearly impossible to read. My block letters still look much neater, but having cursive drummed into my skull for years makes it really hard to switch.
*Looks at lair* Ah yes. Organised chaos.
KASr4bY.png
YEAH, i know I sure did! and i actually enjoyed it too

i still cant comprehend in my mind that theres some people who dont know cursive

granted, my hand writing is bad, but at least i know it

and i keep thinking everyone else does too, but people get surprised when i say i did learn it in 3rd grade

we're the last generation of cursive writers :pensive:
YEAH, i know I sure did! and i actually enjoyed it too

i still cant comprehend in my mind that theres some people who dont know cursive

granted, my hand writing is bad, but at least i know it

and i keep thinking everyone else does too, but people get surprised when i say i did learn it in 3rd grade

we're the last generation of cursive writers :pensive:
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15