Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Funny D&D moments
1 2 3 4
semi long post, here have a TLDR at the end.

I used to play a Tiefling Warlock in a campaign featuring a lot of random encounters and things of that nature. My character had a tendency to avoid danger and in several previous encounters has managed to completely avoid damage. (By climbing trees and the like.)
One day on the road we were ambushed by a manticore. We were in a snowy forest with no civilization in sight, so I, being my cowardly self decided to use illusion magic to conceal myself. Thing is, I didn't have a good idea, so I sat down and used minor illusion to make a brick around me. Not even a barrel, one person-sized slab of red brick, in the middle of the forest.
That on it's own is only a mildly funny story, but each round when the manticore tried to see through the illusion it failed. This 12 wis creature truly believed there was a giant, snowless brick in it's territory, for several rounds, until we killed it, that was firing eldritch blasts at it.
And that, friends, how I use spells 'creatively' and why maybe I shouldn't be allowed to.

TLDR: warlock disguises themselves as brick. Manticore fails saves, and believes they are killed by magic brick.
semi long post, here have a TLDR at the end.

I used to play a Tiefling Warlock in a campaign featuring a lot of random encounters and things of that nature. My character had a tendency to avoid danger and in several previous encounters has managed to completely avoid damage. (By climbing trees and the like.)
One day on the road we were ambushed by a manticore. We were in a snowy forest with no civilization in sight, so I, being my cowardly self decided to use illusion magic to conceal myself. Thing is, I didn't have a good idea, so I sat down and used minor illusion to make a brick around me. Not even a barrel, one person-sized slab of red brick, in the middle of the forest.
That on it's own is only a mildly funny story, but each round when the manticore tried to see through the illusion it failed. This 12 wis creature truly believed there was a giant, snowless brick in it's territory, for several rounds, until we killed it, that was firing eldritch blasts at it.
And that, friends, how I use spells 'creatively' and why maybe I shouldn't be allowed to.

TLDR: warlock disguises themselves as brick. Manticore fails saves, and believes they are killed by magic brick.
We were in a dungeon once, we overlooked a ledge and there was a monster on the level below it we could see. Instead of contemplating a plan to eliminate it efficiently, we spent 20 mins trying to pick up a mattress to throw onto it.

It didn't end well.
We were in a dungeon once, we overlooked a ledge and there was a monster on the level below it we could see. Instead of contemplating a plan to eliminate it efficiently, we spent 20 mins trying to pick up a mattress to throw onto it.

It didn't end well.
plagueshieldr.pngXxqDwGq.pngplagueshieldl.png
OH MAN OH MAN

So I am actively playing in a Pathfinder adventure path called Skulls and Shackles. Basically y'all pirates. It's a pretty chaotic game overall, but two moments really stick out:

1. We're in a ship race. To earn a spot on the pirate council. One of the obstacles is a dragon turtle that one of the council members (a druid) summoned to attack incoming ships. Best option against a druid? Another druid. We have a mermaid druid who swells the ocean just before it, and we sail over the dragon turtle.
TLDR, we ramp-jumped a dragon turtle. Tony Hawk would be proud.

2. Context: We have a NPC who was supposedly so hard to turn to your side that Pathfinder didn't even make an advancement for him like the other NPCs. We're supposed to recruit NPCs to our side in the first book so we can mutiny later. Apparently this guy is so unfriendly that apparently they thought it'd be impossible for level one PCs to diplomacy to friendliness. SO YEAH anyway we friendshipped the heck outta this guy.

And so: this guy is pretty serious. Is a rogue and a brawler and isn't really a jovial person. We enter a dancing contest in this festival to win some dress. The dress is symbolic of some local legend, but what do we care about that? We're pirates! The dress is EXPENSIVE and despite promising to bring the dress back for the festival next year...uh yeah...we gonna hock it for cash.

It's important to note, this is basically like prom. The dude PCs/NPCs can help the gals out with their dancing or performances, but only a girl can win the dress. Essentially, if she wins, she becomes the girl from the legend for a year.

We all enter. Except Mr. Serious. Unfortunately, we all lose. So we tail the girl that won to steal the dress from her later. TURNS OUT IT WAS THE GUY THE ENTIRE TIME HIS DISGUISE WAS JUST SO GOOD. Everyone's jaw dropped at the reveal.
TLDR, local Rogue NPC that never does anything fun secretly disguises himself as a girl under all our noses and wins a prize we all failed to win. "Last Surprise" from Persona 5 plays in the background.
OH MAN OH MAN

So I am actively playing in a Pathfinder adventure path called Skulls and Shackles. Basically y'all pirates. It's a pretty chaotic game overall, but two moments really stick out:

1. We're in a ship race. To earn a spot on the pirate council. One of the obstacles is a dragon turtle that one of the council members (a druid) summoned to attack incoming ships. Best option against a druid? Another druid. We have a mermaid druid who swells the ocean just before it, and we sail over the dragon turtle.
TLDR, we ramp-jumped a dragon turtle. Tony Hawk would be proud.

2. Context: We have a NPC who was supposedly so hard to turn to your side that Pathfinder didn't even make an advancement for him like the other NPCs. We're supposed to recruit NPCs to our side in the first book so we can mutiny later. Apparently this guy is so unfriendly that apparently they thought it'd be impossible for level one PCs to diplomacy to friendliness. SO YEAH anyway we friendshipped the heck outta this guy.

And so: this guy is pretty serious. Is a rogue and a brawler and isn't really a jovial person. We enter a dancing contest in this festival to win some dress. The dress is symbolic of some local legend, but what do we care about that? We're pirates! The dress is EXPENSIVE and despite promising to bring the dress back for the festival next year...uh yeah...we gonna hock it for cash.

It's important to note, this is basically like prom. The dude PCs/NPCs can help the gals out with their dancing or performances, but only a girl can win the dress. Essentially, if she wins, she becomes the girl from the legend for a year.

We all enter. Except Mr. Serious. Unfortunately, we all lose. So we tail the girl that won to steal the dress from her later. TURNS OUT IT WAS THE GUY THE ENTIRE TIME HIS DISGUISE WAS JUST SO GOOD. Everyone's jaw dropped at the reveal.
TLDR, local Rogue NPC that never does anything fun secretly disguises himself as a girl under all our noses and wins a prize we all failed to win. "Last Surprise" from Persona 5 plays in the background.
Looking for free lineage dragons? Level 25 rentals? Join an active community with frequent free raffles? Check out Vitali's Warriors!
Oohhhhh boy.

In my first campaign ever, we have a party of one dwarf, three elves, a halfling, and a chaotic neutral bard (me).

At one point one of the elves wanted to defect, somehow the only chaotic neutral player in the party was designated as the “holder of important things”, and our halfling shot sunflower seeds at a dragon in order to “feed it”.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my bard has yet to take damage though we’ve been in a decent amount of nasty encounters. Mostly cause I hide behind trees...
Oohhhhh boy.

In my first campaign ever, we have a party of one dwarf, three elves, a halfling, and a chaotic neutral bard (me).

At one point one of the elves wanted to defect, somehow the only chaotic neutral player in the party was designated as the “holder of important things”, and our halfling shot sunflower seeds at a dragon in order to “feed it”.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my bard has yet to take damage though we’ve been in a decent amount of nasty encounters. Mostly cause I hide behind trees...
Art shop.

Free Genes.
My best friend plays a human necromancer with a zombie dog companion whom she cherishes dearly even though it looks horrible and stinks 10 meters against the wind.

Long story short we decided to climb down a cliff and most of us rolled fairly well. Except the necromancer who slipped and started falling. The DM let her roll for a dex save (her other character died in the last round and she was already low health so we all felt really bad for her.)

Her: *rolls*

Me, the other two players and her: "NAT 20!!!!!"

The DM, *looking up and rolling his eyes*: "so AS YOU FALL, you grab the legs of your pet dog. Since its skin and bone structure is all broken the wind stretches him open like a parachute and you land safely. No harm done."

Her: "YEEES, I LOVE YOU DOG!!"

DM: "The dog is absolutely dead now though and I'm not letting you bring him back to life"

Her: "Aww :'("

Wanna know how Miss Necormancers last character died?
Basically she played a homosexual Dwarf who wouldn't stop hitting on the guards. So at night, just to annoy the dwarf, they sneaked into his room and cut off half of his beard.

And the dwarf freaked, stormed into a room full with soldiers, pulled his weapon and (obviously) died.

Another thing that happened in a recent game was pretty neat too. I took over a serthis fighter because the player of that character moved away. I'm still a big newbie to the whole thing and I don't have the big brain for it to be honest.

I just finished climbing up a steep wall in a dungeon when my character triggered something and a monster approached me (it was fairly far away so i thought I still have a little more time. Yeeeeaaah)
So the DM asked me: "What will you do now?"
And I said: "I'm helping my friends up as well with my long tail"
DM: "Fine ok" / The other players: "Wait what, but the monster will-"

DM rolls for his attack, gets up from his chair, walks into the kitchen, comes back out and says: "The monster JUMPS IN YOUR DIRECTION, but it misses you by a few inches and falls down, into the deep black hole beneath you. A few seconds later you hear a loud splat.

Players: "Did you just 1-"

DM: "YES, Yes I did..."
My best friend plays a human necromancer with a zombie dog companion whom she cherishes dearly even though it looks horrible and stinks 10 meters against the wind.

Long story short we decided to climb down a cliff and most of us rolled fairly well. Except the necromancer who slipped and started falling. The DM let her roll for a dex save (her other character died in the last round and she was already low health so we all felt really bad for her.)

Her: *rolls*

Me, the other two players and her: "NAT 20!!!!!"

The DM, *looking up and rolling his eyes*: "so AS YOU FALL, you grab the legs of your pet dog. Since its skin and bone structure is all broken the wind stretches him open like a parachute and you land safely. No harm done."

Her: "YEEES, I LOVE YOU DOG!!"

DM: "The dog is absolutely dead now though and I'm not letting you bring him back to life"

Her: "Aww :'("

Wanna know how Miss Necormancers last character died?
Basically she played a homosexual Dwarf who wouldn't stop hitting on the guards. So at night, just to annoy the dwarf, they sneaked into his room and cut off half of his beard.

And the dwarf freaked, stormed into a room full with soldiers, pulled his weapon and (obviously) died.

Another thing that happened in a recent game was pretty neat too. I took over a serthis fighter because the player of that character moved away. I'm still a big newbie to the whole thing and I don't have the big brain for it to be honest.

I just finished climbing up a steep wall in a dungeon when my character triggered something and a monster approached me (it was fairly far away so i thought I still have a little more time. Yeeeeaaah)
So the DM asked me: "What will you do now?"
And I said: "I'm helping my friends up as well with my long tail"
DM: "Fine ok" / The other players: "Wait what, but the monster will-"

DM rolls for his attack, gets up from his chair, walks into the kitchen, comes back out and says: "The monster JUMPS IN YOUR DIRECTION, but it misses you by a few inches and falls down, into the deep black hole beneath you. A few seconds later you hear a loud splat.

Players: "Did you just 1-"

DM: "YES, Yes I did..."
3169374761_1_7_V7IQH2JC.gif[/center]

-We had an elven ranger who thought they were the freaking goddess of nature, so when we got to a few bugbears and their trained wolves, the rest of us were fighting while the elf... tried to tame the wolves. Rolled a three or something dumb on Animal Handling and lost about half her hitpoints (We’re all level one, mind you). So she’s bleeding heavily and just got mauled, she should probably attack, but nOooo. This goddess of nature tries to tame the wolves again. Gets mauled again, and is easily knocked out. We were fighting at the time, and she miserably failed her death saves, and... she died. “I didn’t know they’d kill me!” she reasoned.

-There was a big metal crate that wouldn’t open with some valuables inside, but none of us were strong enough to open it. Me, being a human bard... you know what I do. I roll to flirt with the crate. Needless to say, the crate was incredibly flattered and allowed me to open it was unaffected.

-I, as a DM, put a baby kenku in a maze of sewers to disorient my players, and of course, they followed the path and found the kenku wailing. It was but a distraction, but my players somehow came to a consensus that its name was Meep and the kenku was now their pet. To this day, they still tow around a little kenku in their bag and feed it coins. The fire genasi won’t even fight in battles even more, but will protect the kenku from enemies. They even bought a specially made cradle from a furniture shop and put it in their house for Meep. And finally - best of all - the group is about to head to a formal opera, and guess who they’re bringing! They’re currently trying to dress up this random distraction I put in a dungeon and bring it to an opera. Oh god, what have I done...

-We had an elven ranger who thought they were the freaking goddess of nature, so when we got to a few bugbears and their trained wolves, the rest of us were fighting while the elf... tried to tame the wolves. Rolled a three or something dumb on Animal Handling and lost about half her hitpoints (We’re all level one, mind you). So she’s bleeding heavily and just got mauled, she should probably attack, but nOooo. This goddess of nature tries to tame the wolves again. Gets mauled again, and is easily knocked out. We were fighting at the time, and she miserably failed her death saves, and... she died. “I didn’t know they’d kill me!” she reasoned.

-There was a big metal crate that wouldn’t open with some valuables inside, but none of us were strong enough to open it. Me, being a human bard... you know what I do. I roll to flirt with the crate. Needless to say, the crate was incredibly flattered and allowed me to open it was unaffected.

-I, as a DM, put a baby kenku in a maze of sewers to disorient my players, and of course, they followed the path and found the kenku wailing. It was but a distraction, but my players somehow came to a consensus that its name was Meep and the kenku was now their pet. To this day, they still tow around a little kenku in their bag and feed it coins. The fire genasi won’t even fight in battles even more, but will protect the kenku from enemies. They even bought a specially made cradle from a furniture shop and put it in their house for Meep. And finally - best of all - the group is about to head to a formal opera, and guess who they’re bringing! They’re currently trying to dress up this random distraction I put in a dungeon and bring it to an opera. Oh god, what have I done...

he/him
+0 FR time
tumblr_orsudyIvEA1v0z12fo2_100.png yHDs58y.pngtumblr_inline_np72trxBTw1qcu3nq_100.png
so our party is staying on the roof of this inn, and one of the party members falls into a river full of poop that he had just cleaned out of a stall trying to climb up. (he dies) later on, we try to resurrect him, and he becomes a zombie and attacks us. so there.

also, in the same session, I try my hardest to get past some guards, and yet I had to pay extra to pass.
so our party is staying on the roof of this inn, and one of the party members falls into a river full of poop that he had just cleaned out of a stall trying to climb up. (he dies) later on, we try to resurrect him, and he becomes a zombie and attacks us. so there.

also, in the same session, I try my hardest to get past some guards, and yet I had to pay extra to pass.
hrrr!
My boyfriend's water genasi sorcerer character honestly pulled off a siatraction too well. Basic gist we were going to steal something from a navy armory, but obviously guards are watching the towers. So the sorcerer runs up to the guards at the front gate and claims there's a mugging in the alley way. He rolls a nat 20. Those guards grab other guards and follow him to an empty alley. The head guard asks what is going on and the sorcer tell him 'a mugging!' I don't think it was a nat 20, but he got a critical success roll on an eldritch blast spell, splattered a gnome, and sent most of the other gnomes running iff scared.
The best part is he came back to the tower and proceeded to do the same thing. He pulled it off twice. xD
My boyfriend's water genasi sorcerer character honestly pulled off a siatraction too well. Basic gist we were going to steal something from a navy armory, but obviously guards are watching the towers. So the sorcerer runs up to the guards at the front gate and claims there's a mugging in the alley way. He rolls a nat 20. Those guards grab other guards and follow him to an empty alley. The head guard asks what is going on and the sorcer tell him 'a mugging!' I don't think it was a nat 20, but he got a critical success roll on an eldritch blast spell, splattered a gnome, and sent most of the other gnomes running iff scared.
The best part is he came back to the tower and proceeded to do the same thing. He pulled it off twice. xD
C:
So one time we were attacked by a bed mimic, and someone thought it was a good idea to eat it.

This was around the start of the campaign.
So one time we were attacked by a bed mimic, and someone thought it was a good idea to eat it.

This was around the start of the campaign.

When on your way out
Be sure that you say goodbye
Then lock the door tight.

They/it
Fr +3
Fandragons
Wishlist
... HOW. I have literally eaten a merman in our campaign... But how on earth does one get around to eating a bed mimic xD
... HOW. I have literally eaten a merman in our campaign... But how on earth does one get around to eating a bed mimic xD
AO77JKB.gif
1 2 3 4