Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The new or the old Lion King?
1 2 3 4
I havent seen the new one but I’m gonna say the old one. May be a bit biased

Buuut the new one just seems cringy to me
Seth Rogen makes me cringe

Seth Rogen singing makes me super cringe
I think he’s funny but nah, cringe
I havent seen the new one but I’m gonna say the old one. May be a bit biased

Buuut the new one just seems cringy to me
Seth Rogen makes me cringe

Seth Rogen singing makes me super cringe
I think he’s funny but nah, cringe
9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
I absolutely loved both, but nothing will ever top the original.
I absolutely loved both, but nothing will ever top the original.
miDn30f.gif
The original is better, but I'd say the new one isn't as bad as people say it is. I watched it and I liked it enough.
The original is better, but I'd say the new one isn't as bad as people say it is. I watched it and I liked it enough.
S O K O L
knowledge of comprehension, benevolence, and aesthetics | active | slowly revamping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
ToxrvHn.gif
Just saw the live action last night with my gf, and I will agree with the original being much more expressive. Nothing will beat the original. But I did really enjoy the live action because of how beautiful it was. I was kinda disappointed as well with how much they botched ‘be prepared’
Just saw the live action last night with my gf, and I will agree with the original being much more expressive. Nothing will beat the original. But I did really enjoy the live action because of how beautiful it was. I was kinda disappointed as well with how much they botched ‘be prepared’
........ deity_shadowbinder_by_dogi_crimson-da4xq7y.gif tumblr_inline_oqxzzokthn1r2ao8y_540.png
I really like both :D

Possible spoilers ahead if you wanna watch the remake >>

The original is good in the sense that it captures what Disney was made for. With animation, you can make animals do things they wouldn't in real life. Facial expressions like showing sadness, happiness, etc. aren't usually found in the wild (some animals do, like horses for example). Feeling emotion is a different story.

I liked that the remake stuck to real life. Scar looked sickly, dull mane and overall just weaker looking than Mufasa or Simba. Which, in real life, males with a lighter colored mane are more often than not, rogue and are --sometimes-- weaker than a male with a pride. Dark manes indicate a well-fed, strong male. And if a mane is thin, it could also indicate the above. (Of course, you can factor in heat and the like, but that's for another time)

And there wasn't any zany, over the top action like the original. Like when young Simba sang "Just can't wait to be King," in the original, the other animals made a tower with themselves. That just wouldn't work IRL. I just can't see zebra's standing on top of elephants, ostriches sat upon the zebras, etc. etc. in real life. Could you?

I think all the voice actors did great :D (despite all the flake Beyonce was getting for playing Nala, Seth Rogan, etc.) So far, this is my favorite live-action remake.
But it's hard for me to truly hate a movie. *Shrug*
I really like both :D

Possible spoilers ahead if you wanna watch the remake >>

The original is good in the sense that it captures what Disney was made for. With animation, you can make animals do things they wouldn't in real life. Facial expressions like showing sadness, happiness, etc. aren't usually found in the wild (some animals do, like horses for example). Feeling emotion is a different story.

I liked that the remake stuck to real life. Scar looked sickly, dull mane and overall just weaker looking than Mufasa or Simba. Which, in real life, males with a lighter colored mane are more often than not, rogue and are --sometimes-- weaker than a male with a pride. Dark manes indicate a well-fed, strong male. And if a mane is thin, it could also indicate the above. (Of course, you can factor in heat and the like, but that's for another time)

And there wasn't any zany, over the top action like the original. Like when young Simba sang "Just can't wait to be King," in the original, the other animals made a tower with themselves. That just wouldn't work IRL. I just can't see zebra's standing on top of elephants, ostriches sat upon the zebras, etc. etc. in real life. Could you?

I think all the voice actors did great :D (despite all the flake Beyonce was getting for playing Nala, Seth Rogan, etc.) So far, this is my favorite live-action remake.
But it's hard for me to truly hate a movie. *Shrug*
ooooooooooo kssHcoX.png K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
25 LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
The remake had none of the fun, heart, or power of the original. It's just pretty. Look at some stills go "ooh, looks nice" and watch the animated one again.

Plenty of people have mentioned the stone-faced heartlessness on all the animals' faces, so I won't harp. BUT:

The stampede? Garbage. None of the weight of the original and it looks like the wildebeest are spaced out and thin and unthreatening.

The VAs are pretty dang phoned in. Remember Simba screaming "NOOO" when he saw his dad fall? It's like, "no" in the new one.

Remember the striking visual of Mufasa in the sky speaking to Simba? Apparently that's "too silly" despite being one of the most remembered and touching scenes in the original. No face. Just voice in the sky.

"Can't Wait to Be King" also couldn't possibly do the visuals in "real life". So now it's visually dull. Good improvement.

They cut 98% of Be Prepared. LAME.
The remake had none of the fun, heart, or power of the original. It's just pretty. Look at some stills go "ooh, looks nice" and watch the animated one again.

Plenty of people have mentioned the stone-faced heartlessness on all the animals' faces, so I won't harp. BUT:

The stampede? Garbage. None of the weight of the original and it looks like the wildebeest are spaced out and thin and unthreatening.

The VAs are pretty dang phoned in. Remember Simba screaming "NOOO" when he saw his dad fall? It's like, "no" in the new one.

Remember the striking visual of Mufasa in the sky speaking to Simba? Apparently that's "too silly" despite being one of the most remembered and touching scenes in the original. No face. Just voice in the sky.

"Can't Wait to Be King" also couldn't possibly do the visuals in "real life". So now it's visually dull. Good improvement.

They cut 98% of Be Prepared. LAME.
I'm going to watch the new one today, but I'm betting I'll prefer the original. My only hangup for the remake is that the characters look... underwhelming? Especially Scar... real lions can have black manes, why not Scar himself? Keep it matty and nasty but just... black mane- And by that I mean the genetic defect, not the darker manes being healthier, of course x3 That isn't including the lack of differentiation imbetween unique characters Sacrificing characterization for realism is a no-no, imo, but seeing it realistically is pretty cool I guess Proof of black manes: [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/5802/21805273385_22ab48d65b_b.jpg[/img] [img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/ANAD1M/side-view-portrait-of-male-lion-with-patchy-black-mane-and-bloodied-ANAD1M.jpg[/img] It could have been this-
I'm going to watch the new one today, but I'm betting I'll prefer the original. My only hangup for the remake is that the characters look... underwhelming? Especially Scar... real lions can have black manes, why not Scar himself? Keep it matty and nasty but just... black mane-

And by that I mean the genetic defect, not the darker manes being healthier, of course x3

That isn't including the lack of differentiation imbetween unique characters
Sacrificing characterization for realism is a no-no, imo, but seeing it realistically is pretty cool I guess

Proof of black manes:
21805273385_22ab48d65b_b.jpg
side-view-portrait-of-male-lion-with-patchy-black-mane-and-bloodied-ANAD1M.jpg
It could have been this-

~Void~
~They | It~
~FR+2~
~Chaos Incarnate~
xxxx pink_flipp_117x100.png xxxxx pidgeadoptOrisasig1.png
xxxxxx
Art Shop
Cauldron Services
Wishlist
The live action versions are nothing but awful cash grabs.
The live action versions are nothing but awful cash grabs.
kEygMJz.png
[quote name="Loniface" date="2019-07-20 09:28:09" ] I've not even watched the live-action version, but I know the original is better. You just don't stack up against good old-fashioned 2-D animation. [/quote] ^^This Also, i heared enough from my friends that i should save my money for something acually worthy to watch. Yet alone the pictures i saw of Scar, who looks like a trashy lion instead of the dark furred and black maned glorious baddy he should be, not as mighty and powerful as his brother Mufasas looks like, but not like a lion plushy i pull out from the sewers. Also "Be prepared" was almost completly cut, the BEST song in the movie! Utterly disgusting. EDIT (hope you see that) @LuciDatum Its not even a genetic defect that a lion has black mane, its the testosteron level, during mating time it gets much darker than before. The more testosteron the darker the mane, which itself explains why Scar is so powerhungery.
Loniface wrote on 2019-07-20 09:28:09:
I've not even watched the live-action version, but I know the original is better. You just don't stack up against good old-fashioned 2-D animation.

^^This

Also, i heared enough from my friends that i should save my money for something acually worthy to watch.

Yet alone the pictures i saw of Scar, who looks like a trashy lion instead of the dark furred and black maned glorious baddy he should be, not as mighty and powerful as his brother Mufasas looks like, but not like a lion plushy i pull out from the sewers.

Also "Be prepared" was almost completly cut, the BEST song in the movie! Utterly disgusting.

EDIT (hope you see that)
@LuciDatum

Its not even a genetic defect that a lion has black mane, its the testosteron level, during mating time it gets much darker than before.
The more testosteron the darker the mane, which itself explains why Scar is so powerhungery.
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

[img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/411130904061149184/582860369400168471/image0.png[/img] I think people make the fatal mistake of comparing the old 2D and the new CGI versions of Disney's movies over and over again. To me, they're simply two totally different and incomparable experiences. Sure, they're the same story, but told in different ways and with different ways of animation. Just like H.C. Andersens original The Little Mermaid (which is a very tragic and sad story) and Disney's versions. In my opinion, they're both worth watching and I think the new one has gorgeous details in it..for a huge TLK fan who grew up playing the lion king with my friends in the schoolyard and having a huge fascination of lions for many years, the new movie made me very emotional, nostalgic and I cried too much lol xD I'd say the "realism" makes me much more easily affected than the cartoon versions do c:
image0.png
I think people make the fatal mistake of comparing the old 2D and the new CGI versions of Disney's movies over and over again.
To me, they're simply two totally different and incomparable experiences. Sure, they're the same story, but told in different ways and with different ways of animation. Just like H.C. Andersens original The Little Mermaid (which is a very tragic and sad story) and Disney's versions.

In my opinion, they're both worth watching and I think the new one has gorgeous details in it..for a huge TLK fan who grew up playing the lion king with my friends in the schoolyard and having a huge fascination of lions for many years, the new movie made me very emotional, nostalgic and I cried too much lol xD
I'd say the "realism" makes me much more easily affected than the cartoon versions do c:
unknown-2.png
1 2 3 4