Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Got any writers out there?
1 2
I have decided to start writing. Why, you ask? Well, I have NO idea. Anyways, I want some tips to help me get started. In my first story, I want to include(if that’s the right word) Chekhov's gun, a red herring, and a Shaggy dog story. This is not my first time writing a story, but I still think I have a LOT Tom improve on.
I have decided to start writing. Why, you ask? Well, I have NO idea. Anyways, I want some tips to help me get started. In my first story, I want to include(if that’s the right word) Chekhov's gun, a red herring, and a Shaggy dog story. This is not my first time writing a story, but I still think I have a LOT Tom improve on.
He/Him|WARNING! I eat pancakes|FR time+2|Weird|This, along with my clan profile, is a big WIP
SM’s Leveling and Grinding
3EEgU.gif
I’ve herd of Chekhov’s gun and red herrings of course but not a ‘Shaggy Dog story’, what’s that?
Anyways I consider myself a writer, and let the pen possess you, that’s what I always say
When you get in a good mood, or just wish to, write
Write till you can’t anymore
Don’t bother with grammar, you can check that later
And have fun!
If your own writing is boring you, it’ll bore your ‘reader’ as well

Best way to get good at anything though, is to practice
I’ve herd of Chekhov’s gun and red herrings of course but not a ‘Shaggy Dog story’, what’s that?
Anyways I consider myself a writer, and let the pen possess you, that’s what I always say
When you get in a good mood, or just wish to, write
Write till you can’t anymore
Don’t bother with grammar, you can check that later
And have fun!
If your own writing is boring you, it’ll bore your ‘reader’ as well

Best way to get good at anything though, is to practice
npc_scribbles_by_dogi_crimson-daevs0a.gif
@Eurydise
Thanks for the tips! So a “Shaggy Dog story” is when a lot of action is built-up in a very complicated manner, but at the end of the story ends with a anti-climax or ironic reversal. Anyways, thanks again for the tips! These will be very helpful when I start writing!!! Also, “Let the pen possess you”, you should put that in your sig. It sounds deeep.
@Eurydise
Thanks for the tips! So a “Shaggy Dog story” is when a lot of action is built-up in a very complicated manner, but at the end of the story ends with a anti-climax or ironic reversal. Anyways, thanks again for the tips! These will be very helpful when I start writing!!! Also, “Let the pen possess you”, you should put that in your sig. It sounds deeep.
He/Him|WARNING! I eat pancakes|FR time+2|Weird|This, along with my clan profile, is a big WIP
SM’s Leveling and Grinding
3EEgU.gif
Idk man, I always just write something that I think is fun and then go like, "oooh, wouldn't it be cool if that happened now? It would tie so neatly into that other thing!". So yeah. Just have fun XD Or maybe some more plan-oriented writers could help you out more XD
Idk man, I always just write something that I think is fun and then go like, "oooh, wouldn't it be cool if that happened now? It would tie so neatly into that other thing!". So yeah. Just have fun XD Or maybe some more plan-oriented writers could help you out more XD
arcane.png
[ Howard Phillips Lovecraft Fandragon Quest ]
[ The Wolves of Mibu Project ]
I like notifications, so please don't hesitate to ping me~
arcaneshade.png
@SolarManta
Oh my gosh I’ve been trying to figure out a new quote for my sig for ages thank you so much for the idea!
@SolarManta
Oh my gosh I’ve been trying to figure out a new quote for my sig for ages thank you so much for the idea!
npc_scribbles_by_dogi_crimson-daevs0a.gif
I fancy myself a writer (I’ve even written several, short fanfics; to about a total of 12)! Honestly, I like thinking of story stuff while I try to go to sleep. ;P Sometimes I come up with these super awesome bits of story dialogue and then I’m like “hhhh But how do I get to it???” and I never get an answer from myself, lol.

Another thing that seemed to be working for me recently is not writing the whole chapter, however long, in one sitting; after finding I’m generally better at writing it if I take “intervals” kind of, switching between writing writing and doing something else.
I fancy myself a writer (I’ve even written several, short fanfics; to about a total of 12)! Honestly, I like thinking of story stuff while I try to go to sleep. ;P Sometimes I come up with these super awesome bits of story dialogue and then I’m like “hhhh But how do I get to it???” and I never get an answer from myself, lol.

Another thing that seemed to be working for me recently is not writing the whole chapter, however long, in one sitting; after finding I’m generally better at writing it if I take “intervals” kind of, switching between writing writing and doing something else.

Puppy
She/Her - FR+3
FR Writer/Artist Discord
aaaa
I write a little bit. I personally write all my clan lore. And ive done a few short stories(mainly for school) that I think are pretty good. Im not a huge writer but i do love writing when i can get into it! But it's easier for me to write when i can choose for myself what i write. So write what you like and write what you know.
I write a little bit. I personally write all my clan lore. And ive done a few short stories(mainly for school) that I think are pretty good. Im not a huge writer but i do love writing when i can get into it! But it's easier for me to write when i can choose for myself what i write. So write what you like and write what you know.
image.pngwGjTru5.pngUcA1ifP.pngimage.png
I write every now and then, but regularly enough to be considered one I guess.

When you’re writing, It’s best to expand your vocabulary- try and find a different amount of words you can use in your writing, but that doesn’t mean you should use words you’ve seen without knowing their meaning and slap it in there to look smart- the best way to expand vocabulary is to regularly study, or even download those annoying crossword ads you see everywhere :)

Another one is to try your best to not prolong paragraphs- some writers feel obligated to make their paragraphs as long as they can by adding filler to it, or adding unnecessary things and run-ons- however, you shouldn’t feel the need to! It’s not bad to make short paragraphs, or even just simple sentences. Sometimes, It’s better to utilize simple dialogue better than paragraphs!

An example is the end of a chapter, where you can use a simple sentence to leave a good cliffhanger, and keep your readers on their toes- here’s an example:

“What do we have here?” Behind the protagonist, stood the antagonist, a sword in hand, glaring at them with malicious intent.
[insert some more actions of protagonist and antagonist.]

Vs

“What do we have here?”

It keeps the readers interested, they might want to know who said the dialogue at the end, or they want to know who might be introduced- sometimes It’s purely just to know what’s at the end of the chapter!

Since this is already getting pretty lengthy, I also want to mention not to repetitively use the same word at the start of paragraphs or sentences- it can become tiring, and your readers might see a repeating pattern! Switch it up a bit!

I hope this all helps you :) good luck on your journey to be the greatest writer you can be!

Edit: I also have tons more of tips, if you’d like to hear those. I don’t wanna chalk up this forum post though.
I write every now and then, but regularly enough to be considered one I guess.

When you’re writing, It’s best to expand your vocabulary- try and find a different amount of words you can use in your writing, but that doesn’t mean you should use words you’ve seen without knowing their meaning and slap it in there to look smart- the best way to expand vocabulary is to regularly study, or even download those annoying crossword ads you see everywhere :)

Another one is to try your best to not prolong paragraphs- some writers feel obligated to make their paragraphs as long as they can by adding filler to it, or adding unnecessary things and run-ons- however, you shouldn’t feel the need to! It’s not bad to make short paragraphs, or even just simple sentences. Sometimes, It’s better to utilize simple dialogue better than paragraphs!

An example is the end of a chapter, where you can use a simple sentence to leave a good cliffhanger, and keep your readers on their toes- here’s an example:

“What do we have here?” Behind the protagonist, stood the antagonist, a sword in hand, glaring at them with malicious intent.
[insert some more actions of protagonist and antagonist.]

Vs

“What do we have here?”

It keeps the readers interested, they might want to know who said the dialogue at the end, or they want to know who might be introduced- sometimes It’s purely just to know what’s at the end of the chapter!

Since this is already getting pretty lengthy, I also want to mention not to repetitively use the same word at the start of paragraphs or sentences- it can become tiring, and your readers might see a repeating pattern! Switch it up a bit!

I hope this all helps you :) good luck on your journey to be the greatest writer you can be!

Edit: I also have tons more of tips, if you’d like to hear those. I don’t wanna chalk up this forum post though.
cst time(2hrs+ fr time) | me? gongaga. | she/her
Hi! I went to college for writing, and the best advice I received is to read as much as you can! Read until your brain bursts with words. Find a bunch of favorite authors and study how they write. I'm usually inspired by whatever I've been reading, either content-wise or stylistically.

Also, there are no special hoops to jump through to become a writer. You don't have to go to school for it or ever get published. All you have to do is write. (:

Best of luck to you!
Hi! I went to college for writing, and the best advice I received is to read as much as you can! Read until your brain bursts with words. Find a bunch of favorite authors and study how they write. I'm usually inspired by whatever I've been reading, either content-wise or stylistically.

Also, there are no special hoops to jump through to become a writer. You don't have to go to school for it or ever get published. All you have to do is write. (:

Best of luck to you!
vista_noc2.png
Fen
FR+2
I write a bit. Not much lately. I’m spiralling.
I write a bit. Not much lately. I’m spiralling.
9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
1 2