Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book recommendations?
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14
Endling by Kathrine Applegate is really good! I'm probably the only person in the fandom, but it's a great fantasy series! It's about Byx, one of the last members of her species, and she goes on a big adventure trying to find a lost colony of her own. There are two books out now, with a third coming out next may!
Endling by Kathrine Applegate is really good! I'm probably the only person in the fandom, but it's a great fantasy series! It's about Byx, one of the last members of her species, and she goes on a big adventure trying to find a lost colony of her own. There are two books out now, with a third coming out next may!
aaabY55.gifwater_acebling_by_cicide76536-dcipzis.gifWIrxbxw.pngot6V0KH.pngtumblr_pfujchNmpw1xtta8zo1_100.png
I mostly read Russian classics but

1. "3 girls" (Natalya Vereiskaya) its sooo discerning book about children at the times of the 2WW
2. "3 camrades" Erich Maria Remarque (also war theme)
3. "2 Kapitans" (author - Kaverin) this book tells about a Child who dreamed to become a pilot (this book has also made me cry in some chapters)
4. "Forest girl" (Lidya Charskaya) a book about girl wich lost her mother and lived in forest. She had a VERY hard fate but the ending of the book is perfect
5. "Ice Gods" (Henry Rider Haggard) its a book about a north tribe and the fate of the leader of the tribe
I mostly read Russian classics but

1. "3 girls" (Natalya Vereiskaya) its sooo discerning book about children at the times of the 2WW
2. "3 camrades" Erich Maria Remarque (also war theme)
3. "2 Kapitans" (author - Kaverin) this book tells about a Child who dreamed to become a pilot (this book has also made me cry in some chapters)
4. "Forest girl" (Lidya Charskaya) a book about girl wich lost her mother and lived in forest. She had a VERY hard fate but the ending of the book is perfect
5. "Ice Gods" (Henry Rider Haggard) its a book about a north tribe and the fate of the leader of the tribe
  • The Shadow Cipher- York by Laura Ruby is a really cool book, I enjoyed it a lot. Not really a fantasy or anything from what I remember but a good read nonetheless.
  • The Cold Cereal series by Adam Rex is funny and also has a bit of fantasy to it. Basically some kids have to save two worlds from an evil cereal company.
  • Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger (one of my top fav series! it's fantasy (literally about elves)) and there's a pretty great fandom for it.
  • Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan (series). Again, not really a fantasy, but it's amazingly well-written and the characters are awesome. I've read it like 5 times now.
  • The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates by Caroline Carlson (series). Kind of a fantasy? Has pirates and a gargoyle who wants to be a pirate.
  • The Map to Everywhere by Carrie Ryan and John Parke Davis (series). Fantasy. The wizard is really cool. And there's a cat. (need I say more?)
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy (book one of the series). Fantasy, a retelling of some fairy tells. Funny and has clueless princes and strong princesses.

oof that's a little long and I could keep going on, but I'll stop there :)
  • The Shadow Cipher- York by Laura Ruby is a really cool book, I enjoyed it a lot. Not really a fantasy or anything from what I remember but a good read nonetheless.
  • The Cold Cereal series by Adam Rex is funny and also has a bit of fantasy to it. Basically some kids have to save two worlds from an evil cereal company.
  • Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger (one of my top fav series! it's fantasy (literally about elves)) and there's a pretty great fandom for it.
  • Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan (series). Again, not really a fantasy, but it's amazingly well-written and the characters are awesome. I've read it like 5 times now.
  • The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates by Caroline Carlson (series). Kind of a fantasy? Has pirates and a gargoyle who wants to be a pirate.
  • The Map to Everywhere by Carrie Ryan and John Parke Davis (series). Fantasy. The wizard is really cool. And there's a cat. (need I say more?)
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy (book one of the series). Fantasy, a retelling of some fairy tells. Funny and has clueless princes and strong princesses.

oof that's a little long and I could keep going on, but I'll stop there :)
tumblr_inline_nhxsklEd7y1qcphlu.png 6xCfem3.pngWtB6k63.png
@Mythivy - Thank you!!! Those all sound good!
@Mythivy - Thank you!!! Those all sound good!
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
The Themis Files series by Sylvain Neuvel is really good! It's actually my favorite book series and the covers are really pretty. The way of storytelling is quite unique though, it's not written like a novel but more like a really long interview with the main characters. It takes some time to get used to that but it's totally worth it in my opinion. I can't really go into detail without spoiling the whole plot but it's a Sci-Fi series about giant robots, aliens and humans.

I also second Sunleth's recommendation of Inkheart! The book is actually part of a trilogy which I first read nine or ten years ago and I still really enjoy rereading the whole series. While the first book takes place on Earth, the other two take you to a totally different world (with the same characters though). I don't know how well these books have been translated into English, though, I read them in German. The movie adaptation of Inkheart is horrible btw, I really wouldn't recommend watching it <':

The Themis Files series by Sylvain Neuvel is really good! It's actually my favorite book series and the covers are really pretty. The way of storytelling is quite unique though, it's not written like a novel but more like a really long interview with the main characters. It takes some time to get used to that but it's totally worth it in my opinion. I can't really go into detail without spoiling the whole plot but it's a Sci-Fi series about giant robots, aliens and humans.

I also second Sunleth's recommendation of Inkheart! The book is actually part of a trilogy which I first read nine or ten years ago and I still really enjoy rereading the whole series. While the first book takes place on Earth, the other two take you to a totally different world (with the same characters though). I don't know how well these books have been translated into English, though, I read them in German. The movie adaptation of Inkheart is horrible btw, I really wouldn't recommend watching it <':

xxxx
Aac33wX.png
xxxx xxxx
chhh86fgo.png
xxxx
hello i live for this stuff cause it gives me a reason to talk about my favorite books

now, onto my TOP FIVE MOST RECOMMENDED BOOKS BY ERRAI

NUMBER ONE- Seraphina and Shadowscale.
They’re a two book series set in a really cool fantasy land with a pretty unique take on dragons. Bits of the first book can be a bit of a drag, but that all goes flying out the window in the second book. We’re talking MAJOR LGBTQA+ representation and interesting magic powers coupled with an interesting religion!! But that’s nothing compared to...

NUMBER TWO- Tess of the Road
This book. This book. This book is art. It takes place in the same universe as Seraphina and Shadowscale but MUCH BETTER!!!!! It has more LGBTQA+ rep, but that does take a back burner to highlight the main character (Tess) and her struggles. I don’t wanna spoil too much but this story touches upon some pretty dark themes with grace and treats them with respect. This book has my respect.

NUMBER THREE- The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear
!!!!!! This book is literally insane!!!! It has such a unique world, so many unique characters, such raw AMAZINGNESS! It features many likeable characters, such as literal talking waves! Giant evil spiders! Interdimensional gelatin princes from the 1336th dimension! Time snail farts! Troglotrols! A caravan of desert hippies and their semi-stable mirage! A hunk of rock that is absolutely bonkers! This book has them all!

NUMBER FOUR- The Alchemasters Apprentance
You want food? You want talking cats? This book has you covered! It’s set in the same incredibly interesting world as Bluebear, but instead of following a blue bear it follows a blue cat. This certain cat is no cat but a Crat, which is basically a cat with really good fat and high intelligence. The antagonist is a bit-not-really-evil-but-kinda-really-evil alchemist/chef. I would give anything to eat a dinner he cooked! Like literally anything!

NUMBER FIVE- The Disappearing Spoon
This book is what you wished 8th grade chemistry was. It isn’t a fantasy, but nonfiction. It’s a book that talks about literally all the elements, even the ones your teacher glossed over, like Francium or Astatine (my personal favorite). It is really very interesting and entertaining, if you’re a science geek. This was also the book that made me turn back to the true way and spell Aluminum like it should be- Aluminium.

(edit- i just realized how long this is! I’m sorry!)
hello i live for this stuff cause it gives me a reason to talk about my favorite books

now, onto my TOP FIVE MOST RECOMMENDED BOOKS BY ERRAI

NUMBER ONE- Seraphina and Shadowscale.
They’re a two book series set in a really cool fantasy land with a pretty unique take on dragons. Bits of the first book can be a bit of a drag, but that all goes flying out the window in the second book. We’re talking MAJOR LGBTQA+ representation and interesting magic powers coupled with an interesting religion!! But that’s nothing compared to...

NUMBER TWO- Tess of the Road
This book. This book. This book is art. It takes place in the same universe as Seraphina and Shadowscale but MUCH BETTER!!!!! It has more LGBTQA+ rep, but that does take a back burner to highlight the main character (Tess) and her struggles. I don’t wanna spoil too much but this story touches upon some pretty dark themes with grace and treats them with respect. This book has my respect.

NUMBER THREE- The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear
!!!!!! This book is literally insane!!!! It has such a unique world, so many unique characters, such raw AMAZINGNESS! It features many likeable characters, such as literal talking waves! Giant evil spiders! Interdimensional gelatin princes from the 1336th dimension! Time snail farts! Troglotrols! A caravan of desert hippies and their semi-stable mirage! A hunk of rock that is absolutely bonkers! This book has them all!

NUMBER FOUR- The Alchemasters Apprentance
You want food? You want talking cats? This book has you covered! It’s set in the same incredibly interesting world as Bluebear, but instead of following a blue bear it follows a blue cat. This certain cat is no cat but a Crat, which is basically a cat with really good fat and high intelligence. The antagonist is a bit-not-really-evil-but-kinda-really-evil alchemist/chef. I would give anything to eat a dinner he cooked! Like literally anything!

NUMBER FIVE- The Disappearing Spoon
This book is what you wished 8th grade chemistry was. It isn’t a fantasy, but nonfiction. It’s a book that talks about literally all the elements, even the ones your teacher glossed over, like Francium or Astatine (my personal favorite). It is really very interesting and entertaining, if you’re a science geek. This was also the book that made me turn back to the true way and spell Aluminum like it should be- Aluminium.

(edit- i just realized how long this is! I’m sorry!)
SURlPKu.png
@Errai - Oo, so many good books!! Thank you for all the suggestions! I love reading tons of them - it gives me so many new books to read. c: I have Serafina and Shadow Scale - I love them so much!! Tess of the Road, too. ^^
@Errai - Oo, so many good books!! Thank you for all the suggestions! I love reading tons of them - it gives me so many new books to read. c: I have Serafina and Shadow Scale - I love them so much!! Tess of the Road, too. ^^
@Faasnu I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but here's my recommendations:

His Fair Assassin trilogy by LaFevers is by far my favorite book series. It's a must if you love historical medieval assassins with a slight supernatural twist.

Maximum Ride series was my top when I was a teenager, and I still have not read the last book because I'm a chicken and don't want it to end. But if you love wings and action, then hnnnng..

I'm currently reading House of Leaves. It's kinda almost scary, I really don't know if it's true or not, so.. if you go in like me and believe everything, there might be times you won't be able to look up from the book because you'll feel like something is there, waiting to get you.

I'd like to also add anything by Garth Nix is top tier work. Yes yes <3
@Faasnu I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but here's my recommendations:

His Fair Assassin trilogy by LaFevers is by far my favorite book series. It's a must if you love historical medieval assassins with a slight supernatural twist.

Maximum Ride series was my top when I was a teenager, and I still have not read the last book because I'm a chicken and don't want it to end. But if you love wings and action, then hnnnng..

I'm currently reading House of Leaves. It's kinda almost scary, I really don't know if it's true or not, so.. if you go in like me and believe everything, there might be times you won't be able to look up from the book because you'll feel like something is there, waiting to get you.

I'd like to also add anything by Garth Nix is top tier work. Yes yes <3
SIdwfny.png
@Faasnu
I very highly recommend the Illuminae trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. The series is a fantastic mix of sci-fi, dystopian, adventure, and romance. The writing is amazing, but done with a twist: the story is ONLY told through files, audio transcripts, chat logs, etc. All three books are amazing reads and super immersive. Cannot recommend them enough.

edit: Reading through this thread, I'm seeing so many good recommendations! I realize I should note that the Illuminae books are really dark, pretty gory and scary in a lot of places. Especially gory. Read at your own discretion (but you still should bc they're fantastic).
@Faasnu
I very highly recommend the Illuminae trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. The series is a fantastic mix of sci-fi, dystopian, adventure, and romance. The writing is amazing, but done with a twist: the story is ONLY told through files, audio transcripts, chat logs, etc. All three books are amazing reads and super immersive. Cannot recommend them enough.

edit: Reading through this thread, I'm seeing so many good recommendations! I realize I should note that the Illuminae books are really dark, pretty gory and scary in a lot of places. Especially gory. Read at your own discretion (but you still should bc they're fantastic).
trilo
she/her
@Trilonyte - I love that series! I own them all. :D
@Trilonyte - I love that series! I own them all. :D
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14