Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book recommendations?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14
Enchanted Forest Chronicles - its witty and entertaining, kids series but fun
Keeper of the Lost Cities - a girl who realizes shes an elf, really fun and they're huge
Maximum Ride - havent read it but heard its good form lotsa people; girl with wings
Inheritance Cycle - Really good fantasy series about dragons and bonding with them, solid magic system and good world building
Enchanted Forest Chronicles - its witty and entertaining, kids series but fun
Keeper of the Lost Cities - a girl who realizes shes an elf, really fun and they're huge
Maximum Ride - havent read it but heard its good form lotsa people; girl with wings
Inheritance Cycle - Really good fantasy series about dragons and bonding with them, solid magic system and good world building
My boyfriend has been really enjoying the red rising series, he's finished 2 1/2 books in as many weeks
My boyfriend has been really enjoying the red rising series, he's finished 2 1/2 books in as many weeks
wMXAg3w.png
@StolenFury - Ooh, thank you! :D I’ve been meaning to read Maximum Ride!
@StolenFury - Ooh, thank you! :D I’ve been meaning to read Maximum Ride!
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
@MaplesHaiku
AaaAAAA The Lunar Chronicles are so GOOD I’m actually rereading it right now for the second time omg,,

Edit::
I’d have to recommend the books Eon and Eona. I can’t really explain too much without giving it away— but its based on the 12 dragon-years not certain what they’re actually called(year of the pig dragon,, etc. Essentially, theres a girl training to try and become a dragoneye, a person that can control one of the 12 dragons, but girls aren’t meant to train for this, so she has to hide her identity. The day when the rat dragon has to pick a apprentice comes and some interesting stuff happens!!! Its really really god, I enjoy it a lot.
@MaplesHaiku
AaaAAAA The Lunar Chronicles are so GOOD I’m actually rereading it right now for the second time omg,,

Edit::
I’d have to recommend the books Eon and Eona. I can’t really explain too much without giving it away— but its based on the 12 dragon-years not certain what they’re actually called(year of the pig dragon,, etc. Essentially, theres a girl training to try and become a dragoneye, a person that can control one of the 12 dragons, but girls aren’t meant to train for this, so she has to hide her identity. The day when the rat dragon has to pick a apprentice comes and some interesting stuff happens!!! Its really really god, I enjoy it a lot.
9oRPa8v.png
@Faasnu
On A Sunbeam by Tillie Walden is a beautiful graphic novel that I highly recommend! It's a fantasy space story of a team traveling to help fix structur000es across the universe while also showing the complex, heart aching past of the characters before they joined the crew. The art and use of colors are amazing, and the story is so amazing I almost cried
@Faasnu
On A Sunbeam by Tillie Walden is a beautiful graphic novel that I highly recommend! It's a fantasy space story of a team traveling to help fix structur000es across the universe while also showing the complex, heart aching past of the characters before they joined the crew. The art and use of colors are amazing, and the story is so amazing I almost cried
kZjIfse.gif
@Faasnu

The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson: It's a very long series, but definitely a high fantasy classic. Great character development (in most realms). It can be slow at times, however it's definitely worth the read if you're looking for a long series to immerse yourself in.

The Darklord of Derkholm by Diana Wynn Jones (she also wrote Howls Moving Castle but I love this book waaaay more): Great british humor. If you love stuff by Terry Pratchett, you'll likely like things by Diana Wynn Jones. Darklord of Derkholm is an excellent combination of magic, humor, and a driving plot. Her writing style reminds me of J.K. Rowlings because it's evenly paced.

Ursula Le Guin: She writes scifi and fantasy. Many know her for the Tales from Earthsea which is a high fantasy novel written like lord of the rings. Magic is much more subtle in this series.

Short stories by Phillip K. D-i-c-k: I think his most famous short story is Minority Report since it was adapted into film. Great pacing, diverse stories ranging from a time traveling lady to crime fighting systems that are ethically concerning.

@Faasnu

The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson: It's a very long series, but definitely a high fantasy classic. Great character development (in most realms). It can be slow at times, however it's definitely worth the read if you're looking for a long series to immerse yourself in.

The Darklord of Derkholm by Diana Wynn Jones (she also wrote Howls Moving Castle but I love this book waaaay more): Great british humor. If you love stuff by Terry Pratchett, you'll likely like things by Diana Wynn Jones. Darklord of Derkholm is an excellent combination of magic, humor, and a driving plot. Her writing style reminds me of J.K. Rowlings because it's evenly paced.

Ursula Le Guin: She writes scifi and fantasy. Many know her for the Tales from Earthsea which is a high fantasy novel written like lord of the rings. Magic is much more subtle in this series.

Short stories by Phillip K. D-i-c-k: I think his most famous short story is Minority Report since it was adapted into film. Great pacing, diverse stories ranging from a time traveling lady to crime fighting systems that are ethically concerning.

@Brokko - I looked up the Wheel of Time series on Goodreads and I noticed that there were two books titled the Wheel of Time series parts 1/2 and 2/2. These were listed after the first 14 books of the series. The summaries also seemed completely different than that of the first book in the series. Do you know anything about these other two books that seem to have something to do with the series? If so, should I read them after? I am just worried I will miss out on the series and I don't want to do that, since I think I will end up really liking this series. ^^
@Brokko - I looked up the Wheel of Time series on Goodreads and I noticed that there were two books titled the Wheel of Time series parts 1/2 and 2/2. These were listed after the first 14 books of the series. The summaries also seemed completely different than that of the first book in the series. Do you know anything about these other two books that seem to have something to do with the series? If so, should I read them after? I am just worried I will miss out on the series and I don't want to do that, since I think I will end up really liking this series. ^^
@Faasnu

Ooooh those two books are a split of the first book. It has a slightly different prologue (more like an added one), but I suggest buying the The Eye of the world, which is the unsplit one.

The split version is supposed to make it easier for a younger audience to read.

@Faasnu

Ooooh those two books are a split of the first book. It has a slightly different prologue (more like an added one), but I suggest buying the The Eye of the world, which is the unsplit one.

The split version is supposed to make it easier for a younger audience to read.

@Brokko - Ah! Got it! Thank you!
@Brokko - Ah! Got it! Thank you!
I only glanced through so sorry if these were already said, but anything by Holly Black. She writes a lot of fiction about faeries and dark subject matter. I really adore her Curse Workers series. Combines a bit of mystery into fantasy.

Another good one I recommend is a series by Maggie Stiefvater called the Raven Cycle. The characters are absolutely fascinating and diverse. I've re-read the series at least 5 times by now.

Derek Landy writes the Skulduggery Pleasant series. A lot of really good humor, characters, and a great plot. The banter is so amusing I can't help but giggle out loud sometimes.
I only glanced through so sorry if these were already said, but anything by Holly Black. She writes a lot of fiction about faeries and dark subject matter. I really adore her Curse Workers series. Combines a bit of mystery into fantasy.

Another good one I recommend is a series by Maggie Stiefvater called the Raven Cycle. The characters are absolutely fascinating and diverse. I've re-read the series at least 5 times by now.

Derek Landy writes the Skulduggery Pleasant series. A lot of really good humor, characters, and a great plot. The banter is so amusing I can't help but giggle out loud sometimes.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14