Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Unpopular Opinions:Pokemon edition
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Gen 1 had the most boring, lazy, and unoriginal designs out of all generations.
Charizard is...just a dragon that breathes fire. Never seen that before. Seel the seal, a ball that turns into a bigger ball upside down, a ball with arms that eventually gets legs, a snake, a bigger snake, and so on. At least newer generations have more creative twists to the creatures they make as a whole :/ Garbodor and Trubbish are more creatively designed than Grimer/ Muk. Ice cream, meringue, and whipped cream pokemon are unique and creative. Just because you don't like their inspiration source doesn't mean they're bad designs.
Something that doesn't fit your aesthetic isn't bad!! They're monsters, which means they don't all have to be animals!
Gen 1 had the most boring, lazy, and unoriginal designs out of all generations.
Charizard is...just a dragon that breathes fire. Never seen that before. Seel the seal, a ball that turns into a bigger ball upside down, a ball with arms that eventually gets legs, a snake, a bigger snake, and so on. At least newer generations have more creative twists to the creatures they make as a whole :/ Garbodor and Trubbish are more creatively designed than Grimer/ Muk. Ice cream, meringue, and whipped cream pokemon are unique and creative. Just because you don't like their inspiration source doesn't mean they're bad designs.
Something that doesn't fit your aesthetic isn't bad!! They're monsters, which means they don't all have to be animals!
6xTBbgI.png
* Sun/Moon absolutely sucked. The story was lame (OH LILLIE AND EMO-KID ARE RELATED?!? AND JELLYFISH LADY IS THEIR MOM?!?? WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?)
- The hand-holding in that game ruined it, because last time I checked, Pokemon was about exploring the world, and I can't DO that if you won't let me take five steps without making me talk to Hau (literally one of the most annoying characters ever created) or some other useless NPC, or stop me and say NO GO THIS WAY etc.
- I liked the Pokemon designs, and I LOVED the idea of Alolan forms, but seeing as that's probably not going to be a thing now it's such a waste? And only Gen 1 'mons got them? Yeah, Gen 1 is getting on my nerves too.

* Z-Moves are stupid.

*The new CGI remake of the 1st Movie looks ridiculous; Seriously, who asked for that?

* I really dislike Japan; They don't like to share their cool merchandise! D: When the heck are we going to get a Pokemon Center store here in the US?!?? D:
I just want all of the Pokemon Fit Plush Line, man. D:

*Nidoking is one of the best pokemon ever made: Best Shiny, best team member, and just all around awesome. He doesn't get enough love from the Pokemon Company at all. Seriously, there hasn't even been a TCG Box for him (or Nidoqueen) yet!
* Sun/Moon absolutely sucked. The story was lame (OH LILLIE AND EMO-KID ARE RELATED?!? AND JELLYFISH LADY IS THEIR MOM?!?? WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?)
- The hand-holding in that game ruined it, because last time I checked, Pokemon was about exploring the world, and I can't DO that if you won't let me take five steps without making me talk to Hau (literally one of the most annoying characters ever created) or some other useless NPC, or stop me and say NO GO THIS WAY etc.
- I liked the Pokemon designs, and I LOVED the idea of Alolan forms, but seeing as that's probably not going to be a thing now it's such a waste? And only Gen 1 'mons got them? Yeah, Gen 1 is getting on my nerves too.

* Z-Moves are stupid.

*The new CGI remake of the 1st Movie looks ridiculous; Seriously, who asked for that?

* I really dislike Japan; They don't like to share their cool merchandise! D: When the heck are we going to get a Pokemon Center store here in the US?!?? D:

*Nidoking is one of the best pokemon ever made: Best Shiny, best team member, and just all around awesome. He doesn't get enough love from the Pokemon Company at all. Seriously, there hasn't even been a TCG Box for him (or Nidoqueen) yet!
i think jynx is a fun pokemon.
i think jynx is a fun pokemon.
J0opiUV.png
nick / tumblr
Ledian is a good pokemon. It just got cursed with awful stats and a movepool that don't work for it at all.
Ledian is a good pokemon. It just got cursed with awful stats and a movepool that don't work for it at all.
uzH5Loo.gifgiratina-origin.gifluxray-f.gifempoleon.gifhaxorus.giftyranitar.gif
- pokemon has been on a fast decline in quality since gen 6
- the national dex situation with swsh is definitely a bad thing, though there are more reasons not to buy swsh than just that and the heehee funny graphics
- gen 4/5 were peak pokemon, gen 4 content wise and gen 5 design wise
- on the topic of gen 5, let's stop pretending that vanillite represents the design quality of the same generation that gave us haxorus, scolipede, hydreigon, eelektross, etc etc
- the entirety of gen 7, from sumo to lets go, was a disaster
- gen 1 isnt exempt from criticism just because its the original, and the gen 1 games are god awful
- sumo anime isnt bad you guys are just mean
- most shinies from gen 7 suck due to the new conventions used when designing them. ever since they moved away from swapping palettes they were able to hand design shinies, though with gen 7 they would only change 1/2 colours, making them feel incomplete
- pokemon has been on a fast decline in quality since gen 6
- the national dex situation with swsh is definitely a bad thing, though there are more reasons not to buy swsh than just that and the heehee funny graphics
- gen 4/5 were peak pokemon, gen 4 content wise and gen 5 design wise
- on the topic of gen 5, let's stop pretending that vanillite represents the design quality of the same generation that gave us haxorus, scolipede, hydreigon, eelektross, etc etc
- the entirety of gen 7, from sumo to lets go, was a disaster
- gen 1 isnt exempt from criticism just because its the original, and the gen 1 games are god awful
- sumo anime isnt bad you guys are just mean
- most shinies from gen 7 suck due to the new conventions used when designing them. ever since they moved away from swapping palettes they were able to hand design shinies, though with gen 7 they would only change 1/2 colours, making them feel incomplete
Vorvomon_vpet_pen.gif Dorumon_vpet_dm.gif Ryudamon_vpet_pen.gif
I like overworld spawns, but they shouldn't be everything. An idea that makes the game have the same addictiveness as when it was random would be if: Common Pokemon have a high chance to spawn in the overworld, and rare Pokemon have a low one. You have a low chance of encountering something randomly, but if you do, it'll have a higher chance to be a rare Pokemon.
I like overworld spawns, but they shouldn't be everything. An idea that makes the game have the same addictiveness as when it was random would be if: Common Pokemon have a high chance to spawn in the overworld, and rare Pokemon have a low one. You have a low chance of encountering something randomly, but if you do, it'll have a higher chance to be a rare Pokemon.
MZeTqmO.png

he/him
Sun and Moon had a good story, but the constant never ending hand holding murdered that game. Alolan forms are an awesome idea, even if some of the actual forms themselves left a lot to be desired. I hope we'll get more regional variation, rather than see the mechanic fade into the ether. Mega evolution was a silly idea, wish the lesser used mons and cooler designs could have had a perma version instead, so we could still have them now. I'm hopeful for Sword and Shield. I think it'll at least be a step up from Sun and Moon, hope they take the story and leave the hand holding and introduce some new monsters I can be excited about. [quote name="StormWendjule" date="2019-07-09 19:34:57" ] When the heck are we going to get a Pokemon Center store here in the US?!?? D: I just want all of the Pokemon Fit Plush Line, man. D: [/quote] Do you know about Pokemoncenter.com? It's the official pokemon center website, it has all the awesome plushes and good stuff! Also I think they have a US distributor so it's not imported.
Sun and Moon had a good story, but the constant never ending hand holding murdered that game.

Alolan forms are an awesome idea, even if some of the actual forms themselves left a lot to be desired. I hope we'll get more regional variation, rather than see the mechanic fade into the ether.

Mega evolution was a silly idea, wish the lesser used mons and cooler designs could have had a perma version instead, so we could still have them now.

I'm hopeful for Sword and Shield. I think it'll at least be a step up from Sun and Moon, hope they take the story and leave the hand holding and introduce some new monsters I can be excited about.

StormWendjule wrote on 2019-07-09 19:34:57:
When the heck are we going to get a Pokemon Center store here in the US?!?? D:

Do you know about Pokemoncenter.com?
It's the official pokemon center website, it has all the awesome plushes and good stuff! Also I think they have a US distributor so it's not imported.

YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

[font=century gothic]Hmmm some more thoughts I was thinking about today - I wish we'd get some evolutions to older Pokémon again (that aren't just Eevee). I love all the evolutions Gen 4 added. Even Lickilicky. - Relating to previous point, I actually don't think Pokémon intended to be kinda silly/gimmicky like Farfetch'd/Dunsparce necessarily need evolutions though. Not against the idea and I'd still probably like it if they did, but I still love these seemingly 'bad' Pokémon that play really interestingly. I have a couple of non-attacking Pyukumuku that really annoyed my siblings... don't think I've battled them with my Dunsparce yet though that I used throughout USUM... serene grace headbutt was hilariously overpowered. - Next opinion isn't necessarily unpopular in the 'most people disagree' sense but more that I don't see many others talking about it but I REALLY hope we'll get some more welsh things in Galar rather than just focusing mainling on Scotland/England? There's some signs like Galar meaning 'grief' and arguably Yamper, but I'm hoping for some dragons and fairies. I've always been sad when things have done british or united kingdom themed things but really were only english. Also if Druddigon is in the Galar dex no one will be able to say I'm wrong for always pronouncing it with the welsh 'dd' letter B) - I really didn't like Z-moves when they were first announced and still don't - [i]however[/i] I do like the ones that simply add effects to moves rather than just a full out attack? I had some fun with my z-hypnosis [emoji=gaoler laughing size=1] - For what's probably my most unpopular opinion? Swablu/Altaria are my least favourite Pokémon. I blame Pokémon Ranger as it was my first real experience with Pokémon and I remember having the most trouble with them for some reason? I also just generally don't like Swablu's design and was saddened that Mega Altaria was the first dragon/fairy type.
Hmmm some more thoughts I was thinking about today

- I wish we'd get some evolutions to older Pokémon again (that aren't just Eevee). I love all the evolutions Gen 4 added. Even Lickilicky.

- Relating to previous point, I actually don't think Pokémon intended to be kinda silly/gimmicky like Farfetch'd/Dunsparce necessarily need evolutions though. Not against the idea and I'd still probably like it if they did, but I still love these seemingly 'bad' Pokémon that play really interestingly. I have a couple of non-attacking Pyukumuku that really annoyed my siblings... don't think I've battled them with my Dunsparce yet though that I used throughout USUM... serene grace headbutt was hilariously overpowered.

- Next opinion isn't necessarily unpopular in the 'most people disagree' sense but more that I don't see many others talking about it but I REALLY hope we'll get some more welsh things in Galar rather than just focusing mainling on Scotland/England? There's some signs like Galar meaning 'grief' and arguably Yamper, but I'm hoping for some dragons and fairies. I've always been sad when things have done british or united kingdom themed things but really were only english.

Also if Druddigon is in the Galar dex no one will be able to say I'm wrong for always pronouncing it with the welsh 'dd' letter B)

- I really didn't like Z-moves when they were first announced and still don't - however I do like the ones that simply add effects to moves rather than just a full out attack? I had some fun with my z-hypnosis

- For what's probably my most unpopular opinion? Swablu/Altaria are my least favourite Pokémon. I blame Pokémon Ranger as it was my first real experience with Pokémon and I remember having the most trouble with them for some reason? I also just generally don't like Swablu's design and was saddened that Mega Altaria was the first dragon/fairy type.
sumo removing lusamine apologizing to lillie justifies the abuse that lillie has been though and makes it seem ok. this is even worse considering lillie seems on perfectly fine terms with her mother when team rocket takes over, acting like nothing bad happened between em.

minor complaint about usum but it's always rubbed me the wrong way
sumo removing lusamine apologizing to lillie justifies the abuse that lillie has been though and makes it seem ok. this is even worse considering lillie seems on perfectly fine terms with her mother when team rocket takes over, acting like nothing bad happened between em.

minor complaint about usum but it's always rubbed me the wrong way
34k8ssH.png viola. 23. they/them.
hobbyanime & oc liker
They never should have given charizard more attention than the others; two mega evolutions due to popularity, big role presence in major games/the anime...all because they want to cater to the early fanboys who are older now. New region shows a charizard yet we can't have national dex too lmao
They never should have given charizard more attention than the others; two mega evolutions due to popularity, big role presence in major games/the anime...all because they want to cater to the early fanboys who are older now. New region shows a charizard yet we can't have national dex too lmao
OjayHBU.png
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22