Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Recommend 1 Book
I love to read, and I find myself near the end of the current series (Mistborn Saga).

I've read a fair bit, mostly in the fantasy genre but I'm willing to venture out of that for the sake of something different :)

So recommend one book that you would love anyone/everyone to read :D if you want say why its such a good book, go for it! (but no spoilers!)
I love to read, and I find myself near the end of the current series (Mistborn Saga).

I've read a fair bit, mostly in the fantasy genre but I'm willing to venture out of that for the sake of something different :)

So recommend one book that you would love anyone/everyone to read :D if you want say why its such a good book, go for it! (but no spoilers!)
For "I Know That Reference", all dragons (minus Level 25s & Fodders) are fandergs within my lair :)
One of my absolute favourite series is Skulduggery Pleasant. Picked it up on a whim on a World Book Day, some 10 years ago now I think, and it just stuck with me.

Not sure if you've read or heard of it, but that's my personal contribution. I still have a couple books to read in the latter parts of the series...
One of my absolute favourite series is Skulduggery Pleasant. Picked it up on a whim on a World Book Day, some 10 years ago now I think, and it just stuck with me.

Not sure if you've read or heard of it, but that's my personal contribution. I still have a couple books to read in the latter parts of the series...
WKtl2lb.pngYMPbu9R.pngBS4vqBB.png
Old Dragon Enjoyer
Not sure how much of a fantasy you like, should it be a light book or not... I mean on a comprehension difficulty. I have something in mind, but these books aren't exactly fantasy oriented much, more like symbolism/mystery/exploration/action and while it does have a bit of a fantasy and imaginary stuff, it is not a fantasy, it feels "alive" and it's in the real world.

So, it depends. Tell me the genres you like to read and maybe i'll have something in store ;)
Not sure how much of a fantasy you like, should it be a light book or not... I mean on a comprehension difficulty. I have something in mind, but these books aren't exactly fantasy oriented much, more like symbolism/mystery/exploration/action and while it does have a bit of a fantasy and imaginary stuff, it is not a fantasy, it feels "alive" and it's in the real world.

So, it depends. Tell me the genres you like to read and maybe i'll have something in store ;)
mZeSXZC.png
i couldn't possibly choose between these 3, i'm sorry for breaking the rules :") (they aren't fantasy! sorry <3)

extremely loud and incredibly close - jonathan safran foer - this book made me weep my eyes out, it's incredibly written and incredibly moving, and even though it's not necessarily action packed it's gripping and addictive and i ended up reading it in like 3 days i think

watership down - richard adams - a story about bunnies that again, made me cry because you get so attached to the characters and it's so REAL even though it's literally about talking rabbits. it's heart-wrenching but so so rewarding if you can read the whole book (i'd also watched the film before i read it, so i knew what to expect in the worst bits :") )

oryx and crake - margaret atwood - dystopian fiction (my fav genre) and the first in a series of 3. i haven't even finished this book yet but it's SO easy to read (even if the topics discussed in it aren't) and it's super interesting to try and figure out what actually happened (as a lot of the book is written as like, the protagonist remembering his childhood/flashback-type things). super good read

SORRY i chose 3, but if you happen to read any of these, i hope you enjoy them! :D
i couldn't possibly choose between these 3, i'm sorry for breaking the rules :") (they aren't fantasy! sorry <3)

extremely loud and incredibly close - jonathan safran foer - this book made me weep my eyes out, it's incredibly written and incredibly moving, and even though it's not necessarily action packed it's gripping and addictive and i ended up reading it in like 3 days i think

watership down - richard adams - a story about bunnies that again, made me cry because you get so attached to the characters and it's so REAL even though it's literally about talking rabbits. it's heart-wrenching but so so rewarding if you can read the whole book (i'd also watched the film before i read it, so i knew what to expect in the worst bits :") )

oryx and crake - margaret atwood - dystopian fiction (my fav genre) and the first in a series of 3. i haven't even finished this book yet but it's SO easy to read (even if the topics discussed in it aren't) and it's super interesting to try and figure out what actually happened (as a lot of the book is written as like, the protagonist remembering his childhood/flashback-type things). super good read

SORRY i chose 3, but if you happen to read any of these, i hope you enjoy them! :D
.[/nextcol]21525.png
mollie/idio
she/they
fr + 8 (GMT)
feel free to ping, pm, friend etc :)
21526.png
@Hoshi95

:D gimme anything you got! I'm happy to go outside of the fantasy genre for something completely new and refreshing! I'm very open minded with books ~
@Hoshi95

:D gimme anything you got! I'm happy to go outside of the fantasy genre for something completely new and refreshing! I'm very open minded with books ~
For "I Know That Reference", all dragons (minus Level 25s & Fodders) are fandergs within my lair :)
Firebringer by David Clement-Davies is really good! It’s kinda like WaterShip Down, but about deer and prophecies.

I’d also recommend Gathering Blue by Louis Lowry. It’s sorta like a sequel to The Giver, but it’s not completely necessary to read the first one. The story is kinda post-apocalyptic, people live in kinda backwards communities, that kind of thing.
Firebringer by David Clement-Davies is really good! It’s kinda like WaterShip Down, but about deer and prophecies.

I’d also recommend Gathering Blue by Louis Lowry. It’s sorta like a sequel to The Giver, but it’s not completely necessary to read the first one. The story is kinda post-apocalyptic, people live in kinda backwards communities, that kind of thing.
cDDSaqc.png
Origin, The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown I really love these two! It has exploration/mystery vibes and action! I really enjoy these! You really have to get into it to understand every connection between the characters and the story is on a whole new level.

The Lost Bible - Igor Bergler - Man, am I fascinated by this book. Though, it has a bit of a fantasy since it's about vamps :P Again, mystery/action/exploartion and a bit of a fantasy. :P

These are my fave recommendations so far. I hope I will be able to find more amazing books, but do have in mind that I love romance for summer days too, to relax myself with light books, for relaxation, so expect these too! If I find something else, then I will tell ya :D

The Jeferrson Key - Steve Berry - Mostly action, less mystery and fantasy. Realer than the mentioned above, but it's a nice book and easier to understand, cuz its mostly action XD
Origin, The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown I really love these two! It has exploration/mystery vibes and action! I really enjoy these! You really have to get into it to understand every connection between the characters and the story is on a whole new level.

The Lost Bible - Igor Bergler - Man, am I fascinated by this book. Though, it has a bit of a fantasy since it's about vamps :P Again, mystery/action/exploartion and a bit of a fantasy. :P

These are my fave recommendations so far. I hope I will be able to find more amazing books, but do have in mind that I love romance for summer days too, to relax myself with light books, for relaxation, so expect these too! If I find something else, then I will tell ya :D

The Jeferrson Key - Steve Berry - Mostly action, less mystery and fantasy. Realer than the mentioned above, but it's a nice book and easier to understand, cuz its mostly action XD
mZeSXZC.png
Mother of Learning. It’s a online web novel which has been written with exceptional quality. Best magical time-loop, adventure story with plenty of mystery, magic and plot twists. Harry Potter has nothing on this for world building. It’s a bit slow in the first few chapters but it will definitely hold your interested afterwards. Read for free here: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21220/mother-of-learning
Mother of Learning. It’s a online web novel which has been written with exceptional quality. Best magical time-loop, adventure story with plenty of mystery, magic and plot twists. Harry Potter has nothing on this for world building. It’s a bit slow in the first few chapters but it will definitely hold your interested afterwards. Read for free here: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21220/mother-of-learning
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
[quote name="Khraylen" date="2019-04-22 03:41:00" ] One of my absolute favourite series is Skulduggery Pleasant. Picked it up on a whim on a World Book Day, some 10 years ago now I think, and it just stuck with me. Not sure if you've read or heard of it, but that's my personal contribution. I still have a couple books to read in the latter parts of the series... [/quote] I second this so hard. Can't recommend it enough, it's really stuck with me for the fantastic wit, world, and unforgettable characters. And I also happened to pick up the first two books on a whim at a yearly book fair! [s]Waiting to get the two latest books for my birthday in July.[/s]
Khraylen wrote on 2019-04-22 03:41:00:

I second this so hard. Can't recommend it enough, it's really stuck with me for the fantastic wit, world, and unforgettable characters. And I also happened to pick up the first two books on a whim at a yearly book fair! Waiting to get the two latest books for my birthday in July.
m8ucmws.png

It appears that we are in a forum signature.
. . . says Wilde.
--

Please stop this lunatic owl from buying any more dragons.
Sincerely, the Nightwatch Clan.
I'm gonna offer something different here. Growing up I LOVED fantasy (I was 6 when I read narnia, 7 when I read Harry Potter, I read pjo, hoo, tmr, trc, tmi, etc). But now I cant read a paragraph (I dont know if I'm dyslexic or what, but large sections of text are not happening lol). So, with that being said- poetry!
I really like Useless Magic by Florence Welch, but I'm also just a fan of hers in general. Its pretty fantasy aesthetic though, so I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
I'm gonna offer something different here. Growing up I LOVED fantasy (I was 6 when I read narnia, 7 when I read Harry Potter, I read pjo, hoo, tmr, trc, tmi, etc). But now I cant read a paragraph (I dont know if I'm dyslexic or what, but large sections of text are not happening lol). So, with that being said- poetry!
I really like Useless Magic by Florence Welch, but I'm also just a fan of hers in general. Its pretty fantasy aesthetic though, so I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
98bf1699ec3a8a9904ee0a7db6e28469c9948a3c.gif