Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Small pet suggestions?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
My flatmate impulse bought a Syrian hamster (Terrible idea to impulse buy any pet), and she became our communal hamster. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much, but she's super affectionate and pretty low maintenance. basically, if you can afford a big enough enclosure, toys and are willing to clean out the cage and spend half an hour to an hour playing with the hamster a day then you're set.
Hamsters are pretty easy to tame too, and as long as you respect their space, can come to enjoy snuggling with their human owners too. there's loads of misinformation about hamsters out there, so it's essential to do your research.

That said, if you're living with a small child, in my experience house rabbits are better. I used to go to a daycare that had outdoor rabbits that played with the toddlers, and when 5 year old me left a cage open, I got to take home a baby french lop who became my first house bunny. Rabbits are very social creatures and do best with another rabbit (as others have mentioned). It's worth mentioning that rabbits will chew anything they can, and you will need to ''rabbit proof'' any room you put them in. Also, as rabbits are pray animals, they can get ill from stress pretty quickly and any illness of injury needs to be checked out by a Vet ASAP, meaning that their care can be pretty expensive.
My flatmate impulse bought a Syrian hamster (Terrible idea to impulse buy any pet), and she became our communal hamster. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much, but she's super affectionate and pretty low maintenance. basically, if you can afford a big enough enclosure, toys and are willing to clean out the cage and spend half an hour to an hour playing with the hamster a day then you're set.
Hamsters are pretty easy to tame too, and as long as you respect their space, can come to enjoy snuggling with their human owners too. there's loads of misinformation about hamsters out there, so it's essential to do your research.

That said, if you're living with a small child, in my experience house rabbits are better. I used to go to a daycare that had outdoor rabbits that played with the toddlers, and when 5 year old me left a cage open, I got to take home a baby french lop who became my first house bunny. Rabbits are very social creatures and do best with another rabbit (as others have mentioned). It's worth mentioning that rabbits will chew anything they can, and you will need to ''rabbit proof'' any room you put them in. Also, as rabbits are pray animals, they can get ill from stress pretty quickly and any illness of injury needs to be checked out by a Vet ASAP, meaning that their care can be pretty expensive.
I would recommend birds! I have two zebra finches, so that is really all I can tell you about for birds though. They are kind of hands-off little fellas, so if you are looking for a pet you can hold and interact with, they are not for you. However, they take up very little space (the recommended cage size is 30x18x18 inches) and are cheap and easy to care for. It costs around $50 per year for their food and other expenses. Here are what they look like: [img]https://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2019/02/GroupOfZebraFinchesOnBranch.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg[/img] These guys should only be kept in pairs, one is not happy. I would say get these guys from a rescue, but they typically do not show up in rescues, so getting them from a breeder is probably your best bet. If you are looking for a pet you can hold, I would look into conures or cockatiels or Indian ringneck parakeets. I have never owned any of these guys myself, but I have friends who have and they have only good things to say about them!
I would recommend birds! I have two zebra finches, so that is really all I can tell you about for birds though. They are kind of hands-off little fellas, so if you are looking for a pet you can hold and interact with, they are not for you. However, they take up very little space (the recommended cage size is 30x18x18 inches) and are cheap and easy to care for. It costs around $50 per year for their food and other expenses. Here are what they look like:
GroupOfZebraFinchesOnBranch.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
These guys should only be kept in pairs, one is not happy. I would say get these guys from a rescue, but they typically do not show up in rescues, so getting them from a breeder is probably your best bet. If you are looking for a pet you can hold, I would look into conures or cockatiels or Indian ringneck parakeets. I have never owned any of these guys myself, but I have friends who have and they have only good things to say about them!
[quote name="pablobunny" date="2019-04-16 12:12:52" ] . Also, as rabbits are pray animals, they can get ill from stress pretty quickly and any illness of injury needs to be checked out by a Vet ASAP, meaning that their care can be pretty expensive. [/quote] @pablobunny I'm not returning to this thread to be a rabbit nazi, but I just wanted to put in my opinion that rabbits don't need to go to the vet every single time they get sick. A lot of sicknesses can be treated at home that is much cheaper, or can be simply changed with diet. The only times I've ever had to take any of my three rabbits I've had over the last 8 years to the vet was 1, for an ear infection that needed antibiotics, 2, a mysteriously lethargic rabbit that wasn't getting better (needed pain meds), and 3, an infected abscess. I've treated GI stasis at home, ear mites/crusty ears, fleas, and other intestinal problems with a simple diet adjustment. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just like to bring awareness that since vets are expensive, and if you do some research online, you can find that in the case of rabbits, unless it's an extreme problem (such as an abscess), you can treat it at home and save money, time, and limit stress for your rabbit. :)
pablobunny wrote on 2019-04-16 12:12:52:
. Also, as rabbits are pray animals, they can get ill from stress pretty quickly and any illness of injury needs to be checked out by a Vet ASAP, meaning that their care can be pretty expensive.

@pablobunny
I'm not returning to this thread to be a rabbit nazi, but I just wanted to put in my opinion that rabbits don't need to go to the vet every single time they get sick. A lot of sicknesses can be treated at home that is much cheaper, or can be simply changed with diet.

The only times I've ever had to take any of my three rabbits I've had over the last 8 years to the vet was 1, for an ear infection that needed antibiotics, 2, a mysteriously lethargic rabbit that wasn't getting better (needed pain meds), and 3, an infected abscess. I've treated GI stasis at home, ear mites/crusty ears, fleas, and other intestinal problems with a simple diet adjustment.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just like to bring awareness that since vets are expensive, and if you do some research online, you can find that in the case of rabbits, unless it's an extreme problem (such as an abscess), you can treat it at home and save money, time, and limit stress for your rabbit. :)
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
@nospaces I certainly did not/do not recommend that she get a special needs rescue pet as her first. There are many animals that are in good health, physically as well as mentally, and whose biggest problem is that they simply do not have a permanent home. There is an insane number of unwanted pets out there. People buy them and realize that they don`t want them after all, irresponsible idiots think dumping babies off on overcrowded and underfunded shelters and rescues is an acceptable alternative to getting their pets neutered, and sometimes people just die, move or go to prison and leave their pets behind. Many of those animals would make wonderful first pets.

And yes, reptiles are often in very bad shape when they come in. Because of the work I do with cats (we`re a street project for the homeless and otherwise needy) I also get to see a lot of other types of pets, and the reptiles are often particularily bad cases, just as the other of the more exotic pets tend to be as well. These types of pets are "cool" and "trendy" and people buy and gift them like novelty items. It`s extremely sad.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

@MorningSkye Rabbits and guinea pigs naturally live in groups, that`s a fact and cannot be disagreed with. What you can disagree with is my opinion that humans, when they decide to have a pet/pets should feel obliged to recognize, meet and respect their pets` nature and needs.

Yes, it can take time before two grown rabbits have bonded. And yes, some of them might never bond. But what are the reasons for this? It`s usually one of the following:
-The rabbit was bonded with somebody else and lost this friend, either because he/she died or was taken away. Just like humans who have suffered the loss of a loved one can totally close themselves off to new relationships, animals can as well.
-The rabbit already has a partner/friend and does not want to allow somebody new into the group.
-The rabbit is an adult who has always lived alone. When a rabbit, or any other animal that would normally live in a group is forced to spend a considerable amount of it`s life without contact to another animal, it can, and very often does, develop social and psychological deficits that make it difficult, and in some severe cases impossible, to bond with another animal.
And yes, this means exactly what it sounds like: Being denied contact to a member of the same species (or in some cases an animal friend of another species, which in the case of a rabbit should not be a guinea pig, just to point that out because so many people like to do this) can, and often will, result in mental illness.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

@Snivy14 Just out of curiosity: How would you know whether or not this bird was, as you say "very well socialized" if the poor thing never had the chance to show it`s social competence (or more likely the complete lack thereof) because it was forced to spend 14-15 years in solitary confinement???
And yes, that`s a rhethorical question.

@nospaces I certainly did not/do not recommend that she get a special needs rescue pet as her first. There are many animals that are in good health, physically as well as mentally, and whose biggest problem is that they simply do not have a permanent home. There is an insane number of unwanted pets out there. People buy them and realize that they don`t want them after all, irresponsible idiots think dumping babies off on overcrowded and underfunded shelters and rescues is an acceptable alternative to getting their pets neutered, and sometimes people just die, move or go to prison and leave their pets behind. Many of those animals would make wonderful first pets.

And yes, reptiles are often in very bad shape when they come in. Because of the work I do with cats (we`re a street project for the homeless and otherwise needy) I also get to see a lot of other types of pets, and the reptiles are often particularily bad cases, just as the other of the more exotic pets tend to be as well. These types of pets are "cool" and "trendy" and people buy and gift them like novelty items. It`s extremely sad.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

@MorningSkye Rabbits and guinea pigs naturally live in groups, that`s a fact and cannot be disagreed with. What you can disagree with is my opinion that humans, when they decide to have a pet/pets should feel obliged to recognize, meet and respect their pets` nature and needs.

Yes, it can take time before two grown rabbits have bonded. And yes, some of them might never bond. But what are the reasons for this? It`s usually one of the following:
-The rabbit was bonded with somebody else and lost this friend, either because he/she died or was taken away. Just like humans who have suffered the loss of a loved one can totally close themselves off to new relationships, animals can as well.
-The rabbit already has a partner/friend and does not want to allow somebody new into the group.
-The rabbit is an adult who has always lived alone. When a rabbit, or any other animal that would normally live in a group is forced to spend a considerable amount of it`s life without contact to another animal, it can, and very often does, develop social and psychological deficits that make it difficult, and in some severe cases impossible, to bond with another animal.
And yes, this means exactly what it sounds like: Being denied contact to a member of the same species (or in some cases an animal friend of another species, which in the case of a rabbit should not be a guinea pig, just to point that out because so many people like to do this) can, and often will, result in mental illness.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

@Snivy14 Just out of curiosity: How would you know whether or not this bird was, as you say "very well socialized" if the poor thing never had the chance to show it`s social competence (or more likely the complete lack thereof) because it was forced to spend 14-15 years in solitary confinement???
And yes, that`s a rhethorical question.

cat hair everywhere
Fish are rather high-maintenance, even bettas, which are horribly mistreated as a result of marketing. I wouldn't put a betta in anything smaller than 5.5 gallons (~20 L). Seriously, a lot of fishkeeping is chemistry. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a fish, it's extremely rewarding to own fish, but you absolutely need to do your research beforehand. If you want, I can give some advice on it :) Just PM me. I hope you find the pet that speaks to you!
Fish are rather high-maintenance, even bettas, which are horribly mistreated as a result of marketing. I wouldn't put a betta in anything smaller than 5.5 gallons (~20 L). Seriously, a lot of fishkeeping is chemistry. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a fish, it's extremely rewarding to own fish, but you absolutely need to do your research beforehand. If you want, I can give some advice on it :) Just PM me. I hope you find the pet that speaks to you!
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
@ChocoMeow
I don't want to steal the op's thread, but I did want to reply...I hope the op doesn't mind.

I agree with the points you brought up, actually. All those points are valid and true. It is just our personal opinions on the matter as a whole that I will respectfully say we have different views on. Though I would like to mention it isn't abusing or failing to meet a rabbit's need (or a guinea pig, but I know very little about them. It's my sister's and not mine) by not getting them a partner, or never bonding two rabbits, and letting them live a life by themselves.

Because from evidence I myself have witnessed, and from others, a rabbit can live a happy life without another rabbit, and if it is well cared for and well loved, how can one possibly fail to meet its requirements just because it doesn't have another rabbit? (rhetorical)

Personally I have never even heard of rabbits forming mental illnesses because they are deprived of another rabbit's presence. I also think there are other reasons than just a rabbit not bonding because of the reasons you mentioned. I see it as it can be territorial, too.

Anyways, I want to and will do research on this topic, for my head knowledge, not to argue with you. I genuinely am interested in learning more of the topic.
@ChocoMeow
I don't want to steal the op's thread, but I did want to reply...I hope the op doesn't mind.

I agree with the points you brought up, actually. All those points are valid and true. It is just our personal opinions on the matter as a whole that I will respectfully say we have different views on. Though I would like to mention it isn't abusing or failing to meet a rabbit's need (or a guinea pig, but I know very little about them. It's my sister's and not mine) by not getting them a partner, or never bonding two rabbits, and letting them live a life by themselves.

Because from evidence I myself have witnessed, and from others, a rabbit can live a happy life without another rabbit, and if it is well cared for and well loved, how can one possibly fail to meet its requirements just because it doesn't have another rabbit? (rhetorical)

Personally I have never even heard of rabbits forming mental illnesses because they are deprived of another rabbit's presence. I also think there are other reasons than just a rabbit not bonding because of the reasons you mentioned. I see it as it can be territorial, too.

Anyways, I want to and will do research on this topic, for my head knowledge, not to argue with you. I genuinely am interested in learning more of the topic.
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
@ChocoMeow

No need to be rude my friend let me hold it/pet it this was years ago and it was not "forced" to live in that cage it had play time out of its cage too.
@ChocoMeow

No need to be rude my friend let me hold it/pet it this was years ago and it was not "forced" to live in that cage it had play time out of its cage too.
rsz-rsz-1hatchery.png rsz-brewing.png art-shop-2.png B7aT9QH.png flB6EWm.png
@ChocoMeow @Snivy14 @MorningSkye @nospaces

Aaaaaaaalrighty guys, thank you for all of your brilliant input, but let's not get carried away with arguing. At the end of the day everyone has great points of view and experience that they've offered, but it's really up to me to knuckle down with the research, so I don't think there's any need to majorly disagree or be rude to one another.
@ChocoMeow @Snivy14 @MorningSkye @nospaces

Aaaaaaaalrighty guys, thank you for all of your brilliant input, but let's not get carried away with arguing. At the end of the day everyone has great points of view and experience that they've offered, but it's really up to me to knuckle down with the research, so I don't think there's any need to majorly disagree or be rude to one another.
click my babies
3eXZj.gif
@singularuniverse Good luck on your reserch I hope you find a pet that you like. [emoji=coatl happy]
@singularuniverse

Good luck on your reserch I hope you find a pet that you like.
rsz-rsz-1hatchery.png rsz-brewing.png art-shop-2.png B7aT9QH.png flB6EWm.png
@Snivy14

Thank you, and me too! :D
@Snivy14

Thank you, and me too! :D
click my babies
3eXZj.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8