Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Small pet suggestions?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I've gotten to the point where no matter how many plants I buy, I can't shake my craving for some sort of pet - we used to have dogs and puppies before we moved, and now the closest thing to a pet I have is a toddler sibling. Currently my family and I are renting a townhouse that doesn't allow for big pets such as dogs or cats, but as far as I'm aware there's nothing against smaller animals.

Does anybody have suggestions and maybe ways to convince parents to look into it? So far I've considered snails (slimey puppies!!), fish (we had a siamese fighting fish when I was little) and birds (the bf has one and is very keen on the idea of me getting one too).

Also pls feel free to send pet photos I love them :D
I've gotten to the point where no matter how many plants I buy, I can't shake my craving for some sort of pet - we used to have dogs and puppies before we moved, and now the closest thing to a pet I have is a toddler sibling. Currently my family and I are renting a townhouse that doesn't allow for big pets such as dogs or cats, but as far as I'm aware there's nothing against smaller animals.

Does anybody have suggestions and maybe ways to convince parents to look into it? So far I've considered snails (slimey puppies!!), fish (we had a siamese fighting fish when I was little) and birds (the bf has one and is very keen on the idea of me getting one too).

Also pls feel free to send pet photos I love them :D
click my babies
3eXZj.gif
I could info dump for days about all the small pets Ive kept growing up but i wont lmao I do recommend leopard geckos if you havent already considered! Theyre chunky little friends that are very easy to care for and totally friendly!

Convincing your parents? Show your research! Plan what youll need, where itll be, how much $ itll be, and read alllllll the care sheets! Show em youre really committed!
I could info dump for days about all the small pets Ive kept growing up but i wont lmao I do recommend leopard geckos if you havent already considered! Theyre chunky little friends that are very easy to care for and totally friendly!

Convincing your parents? Show your research! Plan what youll need, where itll be, how much $ itll be, and read alllllll the care sheets! Show em youre really committed!
aaa I have a pet hedgehog in my condo that doesn't technically allow pets... They're a bit more high maintenance (heat lamp requirements) and they do require quite a bit more space than the pets you're thinking about... They're also nocturnal and can be little grumps when you wake them up and a lot of people find grumpy hedgehogs scary (ball of spikes and hissing) so you have to be prepared to learn to handle the little pin cushions! But I honestly adore my hedgehog, she's such a little trouble maker and loves to come out and play at night. This is her, her name is Pixel. c: [img]https://i.imgur.com/giXT2Sz.jpg[/img]
aaa I have a pet hedgehog in my condo that doesn't technically allow pets... They're a bit more high maintenance (heat lamp requirements) and they do require quite a bit more space than the pets you're thinking about...

They're also nocturnal and can be little grumps when you wake them up and a lot of people find grumpy hedgehogs scary (ball of spikes and hissing) so you have to be prepared to learn to handle the little pin cushions!

But I honestly adore my hedgehog, she's such a little trouble maker and loves to come out and play at night.

This is her, her name is Pixel. c:
giXT2Sz.jpg
i love love love guinea pigs!!! they're a little bigger, but they're absolutely the best. i mean just look [img]https://cdn.omlet.co.uk/images/originals/a-guinea-pig-with-short-hair.jpg[/img] plus skinny pigs! they need some extra love and care but they have such personality, i love them so much. [img]https://i.etsystatic.com/11992217/r/il/e884eb/1304568911/il_794xN.1304568911_41bv.jpg[/img] [img]https://pics.me.me/a-skinny-pig-hairless-guinea-pig-37716202.png[/img] they're little weirdos, i love them. i can't have a dog when i move out this year bc of the housing rules but guinea pigs are just as personable and lovable! my little skinny Monty loves me, he wheeks at me to take him out and cuddle him in his lil blanket pocket it's the sweetest.
i love love love guinea pigs!!! they're a little bigger, but they're absolutely the best. i mean just look
a-guinea-pig-with-short-hair.jpg

plus skinny pigs! they need some extra love and care but they have such personality, i love them so much.
il_794xN.1304568911_41bv.jpg
a-skinny-pig-hairless-guinea-pig-37716202.png

they're little weirdos, i love them. i can't have a dog when i move out this year bc of the housing rules but guinea pigs are just as personable and lovable! my little skinny Monty loves me, he wheeks at me to take him out and cuddle him in his lil blanket pocket it's the sweetest.
FR + 0 - pls click them! ->hjmaO1.pngxSaWI1.pngLDOIs1.pngunknown.png
If you're looking to something that is similar care level to a cat, may I suggest a bunny? I would check with housing first as they are sometimes considered a larger animal, though.
They do need a good amount of space and lots of time outside their enclosure, so some baby-proofing might need to be done but they're really the perfect pet if you like a quiet, independent creature that is happy to coexist alongside you but is also willing to snuggle up at times and has lots and lots of personality ^^
If you're looking to something that is similar care level to a cat, may I suggest a bunny? I would check with housing first as they are sometimes considered a larger animal, though.
They do need a good amount of space and lots of time outside their enclosure, so some baby-proofing might need to be done but they're really the perfect pet if you like a quiet, independent creature that is happy to coexist alongside you but is also willing to snuggle up at times and has lots and lots of personality ^^
sabel
| infj | server time
i really really like coatls

PYuV1yF.png

“reality is an illusion
the universe is a hologram
buy gold
bye !”
@singularuniverse

MY TIME HAS COME! SO, I have had basically every pet under the sun. Big, smol, creepy, crawly, cuddly. So on and so forth! I have dogs, a pig, cats, and more, but I will stick to the smol ones I have had over the years. Enjoy the info dump XD

My favorites (creepies and crawlies included):

1.) Rats. Very fun, easily trained, not too smelly, small, but large enough to handle comfortably. They can eat basically everything and they have lovely personalities. They seem to do decent in pairs or alone. Easy starter pet, and not too much of an investment because they only live about two years (I've had seven. Between one and two years is a normal lifespan for them). They love to climb, do tricks, share your favorite foods (I never bought rat food for mine. I have a decent diet, so I just shared my food with my rats and they always did great!). 10/10 my favorite starter pet. They're really wonderful, though I have found unneutered males to be a bit testy. Great in pairs, small groups, or alone (so long as they get lots of attention--this goes for most animals).

2.) Tarantulas. Here me out before you skip. I've always had a tense peace with spiders, so when I got a brachypelma albopilosum (Curly hair. They lit have poodle floof), I was a wee bit nervous. Turns out they're great! Low maintenance. Cheap, and they are display animals, not cuddlers, so you will never ever have to even touch it! (Bonus because too many legs. On a similar note: they live these freaking adorable little footprints). I feed mine one cricket a week...and that's basically all the care they need besides a little bit of water and the usual. You can make your own cage (with a tupperware basically), they incapable of making sound, super easy to feed, and are really cool to look at!

It is AMAZING to see them molt and dig their little burrows. My Kaimides grew over an inch in one molt (which is impressive because all that was squeezed into one smol body). It's surprisingly cute to see them web up their little houses and excavate their areas, and they're super easy, so you can leave for a month and not worry about care. However you can only have one per cage. Males usually only live a year or so, but females of different species can live for decades! There are a lot of visually stunning and easily available starter species

3.) Mice! My sister and I have two (in a two story Kaytee crittertrail with accessories). They're cute and pretty cheap but smell really bad. Two mice smell worse than basically anything else except ferrets.

4.) Guinea pig! They like big cages, so beware the ones you find in stores unless it's big. (We have a Midwest cage and it's easy to set up, clean, and it's ginormous! Big enough for two). They live up to ten years and seem to do well in pairs or alone. (Gummy pig is my third one. She is four. Our first boys lived to four or five [they got sick] and we rescued one who was already old to begin with.) Super easy and fun. They making beeping and whistling noises, but are pretty quiet!

5.) If you have time, space, and money, FERRETS! They're dolls, but they smell and can be UBER destructive. They do eat dry cat food just fine, so that's easy enough at least. I have had three. They're super cuddly, playful, and absolutely wild. So much fun! My Lily loved collecting rubber bouncy balls and putting them in shoes, and cinnamon flavored candies!

6.) Hermit crabs. Super fun and cute! I had a bunch when I was younger and remember them being just the coolest little guys, and they even kinda had personalities.
@singularuniverse

MY TIME HAS COME! SO, I have had basically every pet under the sun. Big, smol, creepy, crawly, cuddly. So on and so forth! I have dogs, a pig, cats, and more, but I will stick to the smol ones I have had over the years. Enjoy the info dump XD

My favorites (creepies and crawlies included):

1.) Rats. Very fun, easily trained, not too smelly, small, but large enough to handle comfortably. They can eat basically everything and they have lovely personalities. They seem to do decent in pairs or alone. Easy starter pet, and not too much of an investment because they only live about two years (I've had seven. Between one and two years is a normal lifespan for them). They love to climb, do tricks, share your favorite foods (I never bought rat food for mine. I have a decent diet, so I just shared my food with my rats and they always did great!). 10/10 my favorite starter pet. They're really wonderful, though I have found unneutered males to be a bit testy. Great in pairs, small groups, or alone (so long as they get lots of attention--this goes for most animals).

2.) Tarantulas. Here me out before you skip. I've always had a tense peace with spiders, so when I got a brachypelma albopilosum (Curly hair. They lit have poodle floof), I was a wee bit nervous. Turns out they're great! Low maintenance. Cheap, and they are display animals, not cuddlers, so you will never ever have to even touch it! (Bonus because too many legs. On a similar note: they live these freaking adorable little footprints). I feed mine one cricket a week...and that's basically all the care they need besides a little bit of water and the usual. You can make your own cage (with a tupperware basically), they incapable of making sound, super easy to feed, and are really cool to look at!

It is AMAZING to see them molt and dig their little burrows. My Kaimides grew over an inch in one molt (which is impressive because all that was squeezed into one smol body). It's surprisingly cute to see them web up their little houses and excavate their areas, and they're super easy, so you can leave for a month and not worry about care. However you can only have one per cage. Males usually only live a year or so, but females of different species can live for decades! There are a lot of visually stunning and easily available starter species

3.) Mice! My sister and I have two (in a two story Kaytee crittertrail with accessories). They're cute and pretty cheap but smell really bad. Two mice smell worse than basically anything else except ferrets.

4.) Guinea pig! They like big cages, so beware the ones you find in stores unless it's big. (We have a Midwest cage and it's easy to set up, clean, and it's ginormous! Big enough for two). They live up to ten years and seem to do well in pairs or alone. (Gummy pig is my third one. She is four. Our first boys lived to four or five [they got sick] and we rescued one who was already old to begin with.) Super easy and fun. They making beeping and whistling noises, but are pretty quiet!

5.) If you have time, space, and money, FERRETS! They're dolls, but they smell and can be UBER destructive. They do eat dry cat food just fine, so that's easy enough at least. I have had three. They're super cuddly, playful, and absolutely wild. So much fun! My Lily loved collecting rubber bouncy balls and putting them in shoes, and cinnamon flavored candies!

6.) Hermit crabs. Super fun and cute! I had a bunch when I was younger and remember them being just the coolest little guys, and they even kinda had personalities.
I definitely recommend birds. I got a conure back in October and it’s just been the most rewarding experience in my life to take care of him. Birds are intelligent, entertaining, and they truly bond with their owners. Just remember that some birds are very high-maintenance and you should always heavily research whatever type of bird you’re thinking of getting! Some birds can be extremely loud and destructive and require a lot of attention, while others are much easier to care for but much different in personality. You’ll need to do a lot of research to decide what type of bird you’ll want, because each species is very different and suits different lifestyles. And a pic of my son: [img]https://imgur.com/sDdV4It.png[/img]
I definitely recommend birds. I got a conure back in October and it’s just been the most rewarding experience in my life to take care of him. Birds are intelligent, entertaining, and they truly bond with their owners.

Just remember that some birds are very high-maintenance and you should always heavily research whatever type of bird you’re thinking of getting! Some birds can be extremely loud and destructive and require a lot of attention, while others are much easier to care for but much different in personality. You’ll need to do a lot of research to decide what type of bird you’ll want, because each species is very different and suits different lifestyles.

And a pic of my son:
sDdV4It.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Im a Reptile Man so heres my thoughts! Kenyan sand boas. Especially males- they get to around 18 inches, wherein the females get about two feet. Their setup is quite minimal as compared to other snakes (like my ball python). [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/5c2639f6869d7b106213424d3c59fd41/tumblr_oz9nzmPt7U1rk2s7mo1_1280.jpg[/img] This was Sock Puppet (or Poppy for short) when I first got her. She weighed 17 grams. Most colubrids are a good bet tbh- such as hognoses don't get too big either- the males can be as small as 14 inches fully grown. Leopard geckos are a good bet too! Small, (mostly) friendly creatures that have the cutest little grin [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/9c3ce3ffb7cb010b8d9677aa1f4ed1be/tumblr_p12nhh8ODu1rk2s7mo2_1280.jpg[/img] Heres my Bumble, she doesn't let me handle her much due to the fact that she's a Blazing Blizzard, and they come with attitudes. Crested geckos are also a good option! Also they dont need as many bugs (if you're squeamish about that) and mostly drink smoothies, again I don't have one so I dont know their care 100% Snails are a GREAT option as well, but you have to be prepared to uh... control the population? I think almost all Land snails have boy and girl bits, but I know from experience that "Mystery Snails" (The smaller version of apple snails) are either boys or girls, but there's 0 way to tell. I'd speak up on rodents but I only had a guinea pig when I was ? 10 so I doubt my husbandry and care for those animals was bad. Hope this helps! :)
Im a Reptile Man so heres my thoughts!

Kenyan sand boas. Especially males- they get to around 18 inches, wherein the females get about two feet. Their setup is quite minimal as compared to other snakes (like my ball python).
tumblr_oz9nzmPt7U1rk2s7mo1_1280.jpg
This was Sock Puppet (or Poppy for short) when I first got her. She weighed 17 grams.
Most colubrids are a good bet tbh- such as hognoses don't get too big either- the males can be as small as 14 inches fully grown.

Leopard geckos are a good bet too! Small, (mostly) friendly creatures that have the cutest little grin
tumblr_p12nhh8ODu1rk2s7mo2_1280.jpg
Heres my Bumble, she doesn't let me handle her much due to the fact that she's a Blazing Blizzard, and they come with attitudes.

Crested geckos are also a good option! Also they dont need as many bugs (if you're squeamish about that) and mostly drink smoothies, again I don't have one so I dont know their care 100%

Snails are a GREAT option as well, but you have to be prepared to uh...
control the population?
I think almost all Land snails have boy and girl bits, but I know from experience that "Mystery Snails" (The smaller version of apple snails) are either boys or girls, but there's 0 way to tell.

I'd speak up on rodents but I only had a guinea pig when I was ? 10 so I doubt my husbandry and care for those animals was bad.

Hope this helps! :)
sjWn44Q.png
Fish are loads of fun if you want a nice, pretty thing to look at and once the tank is cycled they don't require too much maintenance. If you get at least 20 gallons you have tons of options for fish or you could go for a nice small 5-10 gallon and a betta.
And there are loads of types of aquatic snails you could get too :D

Guinea pigs are cool but need a massive cage and daily floor time, need to be in same sex pairs or groups and can be loud.

Fish are loads of fun if you want a nice, pretty thing to look at and once the tank is cycled they don't require too much maintenance. If you get at least 20 gallons you have tons of options for fish or you could go for a nice small 5-10 gallon and a betta.
And there are loads of types of aquatic snails you could get too :D

Guinea pigs are cool but need a massive cage and daily floor time, need to be in same sex pairs or groups and can be loud.

cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
Here is what I tell anyone that asks for my input when they are trying to decide on a pet: First things first: Don`t buy a pet from a breeder or pet shop. There are so many animals in dire need of a permanent home, and even if you already are set on a specific type of pet, you`ll find one this way. Then, next thing, be prepared to get more than one pet. A human, even if they spend hours with their pet each day, cannot replace a member of the same species. Many people think that they can keep just one bunny, guinea pig, rat, different types of bird, etc. as long as they entertain it for an hour or two each day, and this is not aceptable, at all. Some people even entertain the cruel idea of getting only one pet in order to make this pet become fixated on them. This is kind of like deliberately inducing Stockholm syndrom in an animal. Please do not do this! Get two animals, they will thank you by having longer, healthier and certainly happier lives. (Please note that while many pet shops will knowingly sell bunnies, guinea pigs, parrots, etc. to people who will keep them as solitary pets, most shelters (places where people actually care about the animals and not about the money) will refuse to let such animals be adopted out into solitary homes.) And then one more thing: Inform yourself thoroughly before you get any kind of animal. A lot of people will tell you that there are pets out there that only need a little place to sleep, some food and water, toys, and regular cleaning - This is simply not true. So many guinea pigs, rats, hamsters and bunnies have spent their lives wasting away in some kids bedroom or garden shed, expected to be happy and thankful because they have food, water and a hamster wheel or some toys from the pet store. Please let your future pets live happy lives. Inform yourself about their needs and then choose the kind of pets whose needs you will be fully willing and able to tend to. And having said that, I don`t recommend any kind of pet to you. I recommend that you take the time to find out (by reading, asking other people with pets, asking people that work in a shelter, etc) which type of pet would be right for you, based on your personality, your living situation, and your schedule. Oh and as for snails - yes, they make wonderful pets. I have a whole bunch of them myself. If you have any questions about snails, feel free to ask. And here, pet pics for you: [IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/16k402b.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2zjawcm.jpg[/IMG] Oh, btw: if my text is filled with typos, it´s because the thing in the last picture keeps attacking and distracting me. [emoji=pearlcatcher laughing]
Here is what I tell anyone that asks for my input when they are trying to decide on a pet:

First things first: Don`t buy a pet from a breeder or pet shop. There are so many animals in dire need of a permanent home, and even if you already are set on a specific type of pet, you`ll find one this way.

Then, next thing, be prepared to get more than one pet. A human, even if they spend hours with their pet each day, cannot replace a member of the same species. Many people think that they can keep just one bunny, guinea pig, rat, different types of bird, etc. as long as they entertain it for an hour or two each day, and this is not aceptable, at all. Some people even entertain the cruel idea of getting only one pet in order to make this pet become fixated on them. This is kind of like deliberately inducing Stockholm syndrom in an animal. Please do not do this! Get two animals, they will thank you by having longer, healthier and certainly happier lives.
(Please note that while many pet shops will knowingly sell bunnies, guinea pigs, parrots, etc. to people who will keep them as solitary pets, most shelters (places where people actually care about the animals and not about the money) will refuse to let such animals be adopted out into solitary homes.)

And then one more thing: Inform yourself thoroughly before you get any kind of animal. A lot of people will tell you that there are pets out there that only need a little place to sleep, some food and water, toys, and regular cleaning - This is simply not true.
So many guinea pigs, rats, hamsters and bunnies have spent their lives wasting away in some kids bedroom or garden shed, expected to be happy and thankful because they have food, water and a hamster wheel or some toys from the pet store. Please let your future pets live happy lives. Inform yourself about their needs and then choose the kind of pets whose needs you will be fully willing and able to tend to.
And having said that, I don`t recommend any kind of pet to you. I recommend that you take the time to find out (by reading, asking other people with pets, asking people that work in a shelter, etc) which type of pet would be right for you, based on your personality, your living situation, and your schedule.

Oh and as for snails - yes, they make wonderful pets. I have a whole bunch of them myself. If you have any questions about snails, feel free to ask.

And here, pet pics for you:

16k402b.jpg

2zjawcm.jpg

Oh, btw: if my text is filled with typos, it´s because the thing in the last picture keeps attacking and distracting me.

cat hair everywhere
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8