Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Invertebrae - Photos of Tiny Critters
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72
A large spider covered in tiny spiders? Thank you @Xionahri now I know what kind of nightmares I'll have tonight[emoji=guardian scared]. But if they hunt on the move I'm pretty sure there aren't any Wolf Spiders around here. Most of ours just hang around the corners and pretend to be catching bugs(they never do though, lousy layabouts):-P

A large spider covered in tiny spiders? Thank you @Xionahri now I know what kind of nightmares I'll have tonight. But if they hunt on the move I'm pretty sure there aren't any Wolf Spiders around here. Most of ours just hang around the corners and pretend to be catching bugs(they never do though, lousy layabouts):-P
we3Gmh2.pngCWpoTRF.pngjjb11A7.gif
What a beautiful spider heck <3

So most roaches are pretty skittish of light and movement, and they don't really like being handled in my experience. Lately I've been seeing two kinds, the bug brown winged kind, and what I think are some sort of Oriental Cockroach. The big brown ones are pretty normal in the regards that they don't like being picked up; however the orientals I've found are all very calm. They seem perfectly content to sit on my hand while I carry them outside.

As for the thing about oils, I don't really know anything about that to be honest. The first oriental I found was actually chewing on my fingers, so it probably didn't mind.

And yeah, I'm being careful to wash my hands. I don't usually see them, much less handle them in a daily basis, so unless I get some more hissing cockroaches someday, I don't think I'm at risk of developing an allergy. But thank you for telling me!

Edit: Oh! So looking through the posts about wolf spiders reminded me of something cool. Sometimes at night, if you have a flashlight and watch carefully, you can see the reflections in the eyes of all the little spiders on their mama's back as she runs around at your feet. The first time I saw it I thought it was some sort of weird mica. (A reflective stone)
What a beautiful spider heck <3

So most roaches are pretty skittish of light and movement, and they don't really like being handled in my experience. Lately I've been seeing two kinds, the bug brown winged kind, and what I think are some sort of Oriental Cockroach. The big brown ones are pretty normal in the regards that they don't like being picked up; however the orientals I've found are all very calm. They seem perfectly content to sit on my hand while I carry them outside.

As for the thing about oils, I don't really know anything about that to be honest. The first oriental I found was actually chewing on my fingers, so it probably didn't mind.

And yeah, I'm being careful to wash my hands. I don't usually see them, much less handle them in a daily basis, so unless I get some more hissing cockroaches someday, I don't think I'm at risk of developing an allergy. But thank you for telling me!

Edit: Oh! So looking through the posts about wolf spiders reminded me of something cool. Sometimes at night, if you have a flashlight and watch carefully, you can see the reflections in the eyes of all the little spiders on their mama's back as she runs around at your feet. The first time I saw it I thought it was some sort of weird mica. (A reflective stone)
sculkquest.pngIconx100t.png
@Voronwis

The zig-zag does look cool! Some people call them writing spiders due to the zig-zags!

@Xionahri

Ah, alright! I just wanted to play it safe but good to know. ^^ Nice wolf spider btw! We have them around here as well, I've seen mommas carrying eggsacs before too!

One type of spider I definitely hope to get a picture of this year is a jumping spider, they're so cute.
@Voronwis

The zig-zag does look cool! Some people call them writing spiders due to the zig-zags!

@Xionahri

Ah, alright! I just wanted to play it safe but good to know. ^^ Nice wolf spider btw! We have them around here as well, I've seen mommas carrying eggsacs before too!

One type of spider I definitely hope to get a picture of this year is a jumping spider, they're so cute.
a3665186-2e54-4922-869a-430b41931c92.png
█████████████████
███████████████
███
She/her - 23 - Artist

Trigun Stampede - Dr. Stone
Fleet Foxes - Delicious in Dungeon

@tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral @Dragonfruiteen It's a bit stormy in central Germany at the moment, so that's a reason there haven't been a lot of pics lately. However, some good news: Finally some plants started blooming. My pic is howver unrelated to those flowers. Some kind of [i]Cepaea[/i]. Possibly a garden banded snail or grove snail. [img]https://i.imgur.com/BigtMq9.jpg[/img] I didn't check if this shell was inhabited, but since it hasn't been there before, I think so.
@tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral @Dragonfruiteen

It's a bit stormy in central Germany at the moment, so that's a reason there haven't been a lot of pics lately. However, some good news: Finally some plants started blooming.

My pic is howver unrelated to those flowers. Some kind of Cepaea. Possibly a garden banded snail or grove snail.
BigtMq9.jpg
I didn't check if this shell was inhabited, but since it hasn't been there before, I think so.
@Xionahri
That snail looks really blue in that light. Was it white or yellow?
@Xionahri
That snail looks really blue in that light. Was it white or yellow?
we3Gmh2.pngCWpoTRF.pngjjb11A7.gif
Nothing today. Weather was fine and all, but my health has been declining a bit. Might've caught a cold. Again.

@Voronwis

The pic was taken at a cloudy afternoon, so I had to use my phone's flash. Looks like it uses blue light instead of white or yellow. Which does not seem like the best idea for picture-taking, but I'm neitehr a professional nor know hat much about photography, so whatever.

It was a creme white with dark yellow stripes.
Nothing today. Weather was fine and all, but my health has been declining a bit. Might've caught a cold. Again.

@Voronwis

The pic was taken at a cloudy afternoon, so I had to use my phone's flash. Looks like it uses blue light instead of white or yellow. Which does not seem like the best idea for picture-taking, but I'm neitehr a professional nor know hat much about photography, so whatever.

It was a creme white with dark yellow stripes.
@tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral @Dragonfruiteen So, I was about to take a bath to herlp with my cold, but it was delayed a bit. A silverfish seems to have fallen into the tub and needed my help to get out. Enjoy another pic with horrible lighting. [img]https://i.imgur.com/oHA2c5m.jpg[/img] Now, silverfish have a bad reputation. In part, rightfully so, I admit. They can destroy property, especially when there's many of them. Just one on its own is harmless enough, though. Also, their presence may be an indicator for water damage. I know something is up with my shower, so that might be the cause of this critter moving here. However if, silverfish stay a rare sight around here, I don't actually mind them. They are among the few creatures that eat dust mites. And I happen to be allergic towards dust mite droppings. The world could use a few less of them. Edit: Spelling. Apparently I can't type with a cold.

So, I was about to take a bath to herlp with my cold, but it was delayed a bit. A silverfish seems to have fallen into the tub and needed my help to get out. Enjoy another pic with horrible lighting.
oHA2c5m.jpg
Now, silverfish have a bad reputation. In part, rightfully so, I admit. They can destroy property, especially when there's many of them. Just one on its own is harmless enough, though.
Also, their presence may be an indicator for water damage. I know something is up with my shower, so that might be the cause of this critter moving here.

However if, silverfish stay a rare sight around here, I don't actually mind them. They are among the few creatures that eat dust mites. And I happen to be allergic towards dust mite droppings. The world could use a few less of them.

Edit: Spelling. Apparently I can't type with a cold.
@Xionahri
so cute!

i love silverfish

they are among my most fave inverts

i saw a baby one on my bday last year :D
@Xionahri
so cute!

i love silverfish

they are among my most fave inverts

i saw a baby one on my bday last year :D
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
@Xionahri
My bathroom and kitchen is FILLED with silverfish! Or maybe not that much, but we have a few now and then and some can be quite big. We have to help them out of the sink, there is only one way in and no way out so yeah, not the smartest ones.
In the bathroom they're kinda fun. Turning on the light, they sit completely still on the wall probably hoping I dont see / know they are there, thinking they're one with the wall.. Which is white, they are not.
@Xionahri
My bathroom and kitchen is FILLED with silverfish! Or maybe not that much, but we have a few now and then and some can be quite big. We have to help them out of the sink, there is only one way in and no way out so yeah, not the smartest ones.
In the bathroom they're kinda fun. Turning on the light, they sit completely still on the wall probably hoping I dont see / know they are there, thinking they're one with the wall.. Which is white, they are not.
I found some common firebugs. Only a few so far, but, in time there'll be a lot of those around. [img]https://i.imgur.com/AnQuGdX.jpg[/img] According to Wikipedia (the German one, the English page for this species is a bit lacking) about 5% of these animals - usually appearing to be wingless - have two sets of fully developed wings. Still flightless though, unlike many other winged hemiptera. The things you learn while trying to look up the English name for something but end up reading everything else. I remember seeing something like this occasionally, though I naturally assumed these to be a different species. Will definitely try to get a pic of a winged one for this thread someday. I mean, 5% of a species seen a lot? I like my odds. @tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral @Dragonfruiteen
I found some common firebugs. Only a few so far, but, in time there'll be a lot of those around.
AnQuGdX.jpg
According to Wikipedia (the German one, the English page for this species is a bit lacking) about 5% of these animals - usually appearing to be wingless - have two sets of fully developed wings. Still flightless though, unlike many other winged hemiptera. The things you learn while trying to look up the English name for something but end up reading everything else.
I remember seeing something like this occasionally, though I naturally assumed these to be a different species. Will definitely try to get a pic of a winged one for this thread someday. I mean, 5% of a species seen a lot? I like my odds.

1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72