Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Invertebrae - Photos of Tiny Critters
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72
@Xionahri Hello, I hope I'm doing this right ^^ I currently don't have too many ready photos but would love to contribute to this more frequently once the weather warms up! [img]https://i.imgur.com/Sqc9i02.png[/img] Here's a photo from last year. I often have the luck to find some wounded bug. Last year's find was this Violet Carpenter Bee, female. She was missing two wings. I honestly don't know how it happened, but I did find her near busy traffic. She survived about 2-3 months with me, I'd occasionally take her out to feast on the blooming flowers, and her nights were spent in the enclosure of my giant African land snails. Two years ago I found a rose chafer beetle, who was missing most of his legs, cut off at different locations, most even lacking a tibia. His wings were damaged too, not the elytra, I assume an encounter with a cat, or a rather bumpy ride? Either way, he was spoiled with ripe fruit, and survived 8 whole months! No photos of him unfortunately... I don't think I feel too comfortable sharing the country I live in just yet, but let's say Eastern Europe?
@Xionahri Hello, I hope I'm doing this right ^^ I currently don't have too many ready photos but would love to contribute to this more frequently once the weather warms up!

Sqc9i02.png

Here's a photo from last year. I often have the luck to find some wounded bug. Last year's find was this Violet Carpenter Bee, female. She was missing two wings. I honestly don't know how it happened, but I did find her near busy traffic.
She survived about 2-3 months with me, I'd occasionally take her out to feast on the blooming flowers, and her nights were spent in the enclosure of my giant African land snails.

Two years ago I found a rose chafer beetle, who was missing most of his legs, cut off at different locations, most even lacking a tibia. His wings were damaged too, not the elytra, I assume an encounter with a cat, or a rather bumpy ride? Either way, he was spoiled with ripe fruit, and survived 8 whole months! No photos of him unfortunately...

I don't think I feel too comfortable sharing the country I live in just yet, but let's say Eastern Europe?
I found a lovely cockroach and brought it outside. it's not the same kind as the one I made that thread about though. [img]https://i.imgur.com/K0waNZS.jpg[/img] And yes, I did wash my hands after handling it ^^ Oh yeah, I'm in Arizona, USA right now. I travel a lot though, so I'll be taking pictures in other states as well.
I found a lovely cockroach and brought it outside. it's not the same kind as the one I made that thread about though.
K0waNZS.jpg

And yes, I did wash my hands after handling it ^^

Oh yeah, I'm in Arizona, USA right now. I travel a lot though, so I'll be taking pictures in other states as well.
sculkquest.pngIconx100t.png
Here's the biggest caterpillar I've ever seen, found in September. It's an eyed hawk moth caterpillar! There were loads on that bush. [img]https://i.imgur.com/7PPObkS.jpg[/img]
Here's the biggest caterpillar I've ever seen, found in September. It's an eyed hawk moth caterpillar! There were loads on that bush.
7PPObkS.jpg
[center] This is from September 2018, but it's my most recent picture of any invertebrae, a beautiful Yellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia). I believe the dark thing in the web with it is a leaf but I may be mistaken, it could be prey wrapped up in web. [img]https://i.postimg.cc/sXXTTGcy/IMG-20180915-190917.jpg[/img] They build big, beautiful orb webs (unfortunately this pic doesn't really show it) and are a pretty decently sized spider, or the females are at least. I've always loved these guys, I've even caught grasshoppers in the past when I was younger to drop in their webs so that I could watch them eat. As for where this picture was taken? Central time zone, USA. I'll definitely post more here once the weather warms up and things get more active.[/center]
This is from September 2018, but it's my most recent picture of any invertebrae, a beautiful Yellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia). I believe the dark thing in the web with it is a leaf but I may be mistaken, it could be prey wrapped up in web.

IMG-20180915-190917.jpg

They build big, beautiful orb webs (unfortunately this pic doesn't really show it) and are a pretty decently sized spider, or the females are at least. I've always loved these guys, I've even caught grasshoppers in the past when I was younger to drop in their webs so that I could watch them eat.

As for where this picture was taken? Central time zone, USA.

I'll definitely post more here once the weather warms up and things get more active.
a3665186-2e54-4922-869a-430b41931c92.png
█████████████████
███████████████
███
She/her - 23 - Artist

Trigun Stampede - Dr. Stone
Fleet Foxes - Delicious in Dungeon

@Saturnia What a beautiful beetle! And now I think of you as running this huge rescue center for insects:-) @Dragonfruiteen Awww cute cockroach! @RainbowRay Oh wow it's HUGE! And very, very lovely[emoji=heart] @Spottedleaf125 EEEK! What a monster! I looked up the kind of web they make and I've never seen a web that has this zig-zag pattern in the middle- interesting.
@Saturnia
What a beautiful beetle! And now I think of you as running this huge rescue center for insects:-)

@Dragonfruiteen
Awww cute cockroach!

@RainbowRay
Oh wow it's HUGE! And very, very lovely

@Spottedleaf125
EEEK! What a monster!
I looked up the kind of web they make and I've never seen a web that has this zig-zag pattern in the middle- interesting.
we3Gmh2.pngCWpoTRF.pngjjb11A7.gif
@Voronwis Ooh oops! That's a bee ;o; nervous mistake there, I do wish I had photos of the beetle though! And a bug rescue, omg! that's a dream <3 I was honestly tempted to glue wings to her, as she had parts of the missing ones, and I've heard of tarantula owners using super glue for injuries, but I was still unsure...
@Voronwis Ooh oops! That's a bee ;o; nervous mistake there, I do wish I had photos of the beetle though! And a bug rescue, omg! that's a dream <3 I was honestly tempted to glue wings to her, as she had parts of the missing ones, and I've heard of tarantula owners using super glue for injuries, but I was still unsure...
@Saturnia
That'a a bee? A black bee? I've never even heard of black bees.
Gluing wings to a bee? That's so crazy it might actually have worked:-)
@Saturnia
That'a a bee? A black bee? I've never even heard of black bees.
Gluing wings to a bee? That's so crazy it might actually have worked:-)
@tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral So, was over at my partner's place during the weekend. Friday evening, we were making some food, when suddenly something big darted through the room. He managed to catch it with a glass. It - or better she - was a giant wolf spider. We brought her outside afterwards. [img]https://i.imgur.com/cyEFqVe.jpg[/img] What's up with me only posting spiders so far. @Saturnia What a beautiful bee. And wow, I've looked at aculeatae for my whole life, but never actually noticed before they have four wings. How did I miss that? Though, they are kinda close together for most of them. European wasps especially have wing shapes making this very confusing. And that story of the beetle is nice. It's great to read how well you took care of it. @Dragonfruiteen Oh cool. That's a good-looking roach. How easy is it to handle them? They're skittish, aron't they? And I also heard many roaches don't like the oils on mammalian skin and therefore avoid touching as much as possible. Yeah, it's important to stay clean after touching a roach. There've been reports that researches who often handled roaches developed allergies against them. Let's hope that won't happen to you. Probably really won't as I don't think you touch them daily. But I think you should know and stay safe. @RainbowRay What a beautiful beast. Impressive. May it have become a beautiful moth. @Spottedleaf125 Ohh, what a pretty orb weaver. Here in central europe are similar ones, and they indeed have really neat webs. I too often fed them as a kid, but with flies instead of grasshoppers. Grashoppers I did however catch too. A little note about your post though. I get your sentiment, but I don't like seeing warnings anywhere in this thread. peopel should know what they are getting into when reading even the first post. I kinda also made this as a place where pictures of all kinds of inverts are normalised. I mean, pictures of dogs are normal and without warnings everywhere, even when I have met more people IRL who are afraid of dogs than of spiders. I myself am actually a bit afraid of maggots (it's getting better, though) yet I will not stop anyone posting a picture of a maggot. they have all the right to belong in here as much as all the other inverts. Sorry, did not want to go on a bit of a rant here, but it's soemthing I wanted to say. Nothing personal against you or that precious garden spider.
@tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral

So, was over at my partner's place during the weekend. Friday evening, we were making some food, when suddenly something big darted through the room. He managed to catch it with a glass. It - or better she - was a giant wolf spider. We brought her outside afterwards.
cyEFqVe.jpg
What's up with me only posting spiders so far.

@Saturnia

What a beautiful bee. And wow, I've looked at aculeatae for my whole life, but never actually noticed before they have four wings. How did I miss that? Though, they are kinda close together for most of them. European wasps especially have wing shapes making this very confusing.

And that story of the beetle is nice. It's great to read how well you took care of it.

@Dragonfruiteen

Oh cool. That's a good-looking roach. How easy is it to handle them? They're skittish, aron't they? And I also heard many roaches don't like the oils on mammalian skin and therefore avoid touching as much as possible.
Yeah, it's important to stay clean after touching a roach. There've been reports that researches who often handled roaches developed allergies against them. Let's hope that won't happen to you. Probably really won't as I don't think you touch them daily. But I think you should know and stay safe.

@RainbowRay

What a beautiful beast. Impressive. May it have become a beautiful moth.

@Spottedleaf125

Ohh, what a pretty orb weaver. Here in central europe are similar ones, and they indeed have really neat webs. I too often fed them as a kid, but with flies instead of grasshoppers. Grashoppers I did however catch too.
A little note about your post though. I get your sentiment, but I don't like seeing warnings anywhere in this thread. peopel should know what they are getting into when reading even the first post.
I kinda also made this as a place where pictures of all kinds of inverts are normalised. I mean, pictures of dogs are normal and without warnings everywhere, even when I have met more people IRL who are afraid of dogs than of spiders.
I myself am actually a bit afraid of maggots (it's getting better, though) yet I will not stop anyone posting a picture of a maggot. they have all the right to belong in here as much as all the other inverts.
Sorry, did not want to go on a bit of a rant here, but it's soemthing I wanted to say. Nothing personal against you or that precious garden spider.
@Xionahri Ohhh horrid! Look at those legs! She's your partner's disgusting flatmate that pay no rent.[emoji=guardian laughing] But, how do I recognize a wolf spider? What should I look at?
@Xionahri
Ohhh horrid! Look at those legs! She's your partner's disgusting flatmate that pay no rent.
But, how do I recognize a wolf spider? What should I look at?
@Voronwis

They are failry large and have long limbs. The ones around here got vertical stripes on there chephalothorax and smaller light markings on their abdomen. Colour-wise, they tend to be dark brown or grey-brown.
Also, the can also be identified by an intresting habit. When the females have young, they will carry them around on their backs to protect them and get food quicker to them. So, if you see a big spider covered in tiny spiders, chances are you're looking at a wolf. They will also carry their unhatched young around, since are pretty much always on the move. They hunt prey actively, after all.
They are harmless if you don't bother them, and even then their venom is about the strength of that of a bee. Fairly easy to catch and relocate due to their size.

And the not paying rent thing is probaly why he decided to bring her out. Such a big roommate should definitly pay rent for all the space she needs. Her good looks didn't help her in this case.
@Voronwis

They are failry large and have long limbs. The ones around here got vertical stripes on there chephalothorax and smaller light markings on their abdomen. Colour-wise, they tend to be dark brown or grey-brown.
Also, the can also be identified by an intresting habit. When the females have young, they will carry them around on their backs to protect them and get food quicker to them. So, if you see a big spider covered in tiny spiders, chances are you're looking at a wolf. They will also carry their unhatched young around, since are pretty much always on the move. They hunt prey actively, after all.
They are harmless if you don't bother them, and even then their venom is about the strength of that of a bee. Fairly easy to catch and relocate due to their size.

And the not paying rent thing is probaly why he decided to bring her out. Such a big roommate should definitly pay rent for all the space she needs. Her good looks didn't help her in this case.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72