Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Invertebrae - Photos of Tiny Critters
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72
Ahh, so many responses since I've gone for the weekend. I have no new pictures, but a plan to fix my flower problem. Each wadnesday, there's a farmers markt in town. I hope there'll be some flowers there. My grandma is coming with me, and she knows a lot about plants.

@Voronwis

Aww, what a cutie vicious predator. Beautiful find (though it did more find you, than the other way around). It probably just wanted to watch you play. But yeah, they can have a kinda mean bite, so it's best to stay safe.

Speaking of bitey bugs, that reminds me when a beetle of some species I'm unfamiliar with landed last summer on my arm and just kept trying to eat me. Very inefficintly. It was small that a ladybug and couldn't even break human skin. Still, could feel it. So, the entire time it was there, I was like 'Ow. Aww, how cute. Ow.', until that little decided I wasn't edible and fly off.

@masotan

Seems like the first thing the insects are doing after waking up is distracting gamers. Fascinating creatures.
Here, the bright green ones are common, though those spotty brown ones are not unfamiliar to me either.

I too hope its doing well, and the same for you. Get well soon. Drink some tea and get some nice snuggly blankets.

@Kodama

Your pets sound cool. And let's hope you can convince your mum to get some big fluffy spiders one day.

One can never have too many pictures of moths. You don't have a problem, everyone who doesn't have pics of flying fluffballs has a problem.
Those pictures are cool. It's insteresting to me how diffent animals can look like at other parts of the world. Here are no moths that even remotely resemble anything like the luna moth. Thanks for all those great pictures. The oakworm is so fluffy. Cute.
Ahh, so many responses since I've gone for the weekend. I have no new pictures, but a plan to fix my flower problem. Each wadnesday, there's a farmers markt in town. I hope there'll be some flowers there. My grandma is coming with me, and she knows a lot about plants.

@Voronwis

Aww, what a cutie vicious predator. Beautiful find (though it did more find you, than the other way around). It probably just wanted to watch you play. But yeah, they can have a kinda mean bite, so it's best to stay safe.

Speaking of bitey bugs, that reminds me when a beetle of some species I'm unfamiliar with landed last summer on my arm and just kept trying to eat me. Very inefficintly. It was small that a ladybug and couldn't even break human skin. Still, could feel it. So, the entire time it was there, I was like 'Ow. Aww, how cute. Ow.', until that little decided I wasn't edible and fly off.

@masotan

Seems like the first thing the insects are doing after waking up is distracting gamers. Fascinating creatures.
Here, the bright green ones are common, though those spotty brown ones are not unfamiliar to me either.

I too hope its doing well, and the same for you. Get well soon. Drink some tea and get some nice snuggly blankets.

@Kodama

Your pets sound cool. And let's hope you can convince your mum to get some big fluffy spiders one day.

One can never have too many pictures of moths. You don't have a problem, everyone who doesn't have pics of flying fluffballs has a problem.
Those pictures are cool. It's insteresting to me how diffent animals can look like at other parts of the world. Here are no moths that even remotely resemble anything like the luna moth. Thanks for all those great pictures. The oakworm is so fluffy. Cute.
[quote name="Voronwis" date="2019-02-23 13:56:47" ] Sooooo I was minding my tail yesterday and playing videogames, when I suddenly feel that something is crawling on my wrist. I look and I FREAK! It's a ladybug! And those guys bite. Hard. So I am doing this little dance trying to shake it off, but it wouldn't budge! Then I stop and think: wait! I finally have a bug to show to @ @/Xionahri ! I managed to convince it to go sit on some paper. So here it is, one ladybug, photographed in UK: [url=https://flic.kr/p/2ePqCSw][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7877/47138012562_514b4d55c1.jpg[/img][/url] [/quote] I didn't know could ladybugs bite people.
Voronwis wrote on 2019-02-23 13:56:47:
Sooooo I was minding my tail yesterday and playing videogames, when I suddenly feel that something is crawling on my wrist. I look and I FREAK! It's a ladybug! And those guys bite. Hard. So I am doing this little dance trying to shake it off, but it wouldn't budge! Then I stop and think: wait! I finally have a bug to show to @ @/Xionahri ! I managed to convince it to go sit on some paper.
So here it is, one ladybug, photographed in UK:
47138012562_514b4d55c1.jpg
I didn't know could ladybugs bite people.
3YVdS.gifnVsDK.giftkcez.gifbja3g.gifIzYqF.gif
@Drag0n5 IKR? You have no idea how shocked I was back then! I was fifteen and a ladybug was crawling on my hand which I didn't mind since I used to like ladybugs. Then it stopped at the tip of my finger and bit me! And the best part is when I tell this story and people don't believe me.[emoji=guardian deadpan]
@Drag0n5
IKR? You have no idea how shocked I was back then! I was fifteen and a ladybug was crawling on my hand which I didn't mind since I used to like ladybugs. Then it stopped at the tip of my finger and bit me! And the best part is when I tell this story and people don't believe me.
we3Gmh2.pngCWpoTRF.pngjjb11A7.gif
@Drag0n5 @Voronwis

It is the Asian Lady Beetles that tend to bite. The native species that a lot of people grew up with almost never do, which is why a lot of people are shocked when they first run into one of the Asian variety. Unfortunately the Asian Lady Beetles are taking over in a lot of areas and edging out native species. They are also prone to infesting homes.
@Drag0n5 @Voronwis

It is the Asian Lady Beetles that tend to bite. The native species that a lot of people grew up with almost never do, which is why a lot of people are shocked when they first run into one of the Asian variety. Unfortunately the Asian Lady Beetles are taking over in a lot of areas and edging out native species. They are also prone to infesting homes.
[quote name="Krissim" date="2019-02-24 12:00:42" ] @/Drag0n5 @/Voronwis It is the Asian Lady Beetles that tend to bite. The native species that a lot of people grew up with almost never do, which is why a lot of people are shocked when they first run into one of the Asian variety. Unfortunately the Asian Lady Beetles are taking over in a lot of areas and edging out native species. They are also prone to infesting homes. [/quote] Wow the more you know.
Krissim wrote on 2019-02-24 12:00:42:
@/Drag0n5 @/Voronwis

Wow the more you know.
3YVdS.gifnVsDK.giftkcez.gifbja3g.gifIzYqF.gif
@Krissim
Ohhh so this is a beetle then! I had no idea!
@Krissim
Ohhh so this is a beetle then! I had no idea!
@Voronwis
All ladybugs are beetles, it is just people often use beetle instead of bug when talking about the Asian Lady Beetles to further differentiate them from the species of ladybugs a lot of people are thinking of when they hear the word.
@Voronwis
All ladybugs are beetles, it is just people often use beetle instead of bug when talking about the Asian Lady Beetles to further differentiate them from the species of ladybugs a lot of people are thinking of when they hear the word.
@Krissim
That's what I meant, this one is an Asian Lady Beetle.
@Krissim
That's what I meant, this one is an Asian Lady Beetle.
@Xionahri
Please add me to the pinglist, I'd love to see what kinds of bugs show up here!
And I might possibly request to use a photo as a reference picture for drawing if I really really like it. Only if it's okay with the photographer of course.
@Xionahri
Please add me to the pinglist, I'd love to see what kinds of bugs show up here!
And I might possibly request to use a photo as a reference picture for drawing if I really really like it. Only if it's okay with the photographer of course.
sculkquest.pngIconx100t.png
I had a pretty big moth (horizontally the size of an open hand) in my house once. It had landed on top of a wooden decorative sign with a phrase from a Bob Marley song, it read "Every little thing is gonna be alright". Funny thing is, it was a black witch moth. In many superstitions, they're omens of death! So, basically she (and it was a she, it had a white stripe running through its wings that only females have) was just saying: "hey, I might be scary but I'm not bad!" I took a picture, but can't access my cellphone right now. She looked like this: [img]https://rollingharbour.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/moneyback-black-witch-moth-eleuthera-julia-gotz-juliatrees.jpg[/img]
I had a pretty big moth (horizontally the size of an open hand) in my house once. It had landed on top of a wooden decorative sign with a phrase from a Bob Marley song, it read "Every little thing is gonna be alright".

Funny thing is, it was a black witch moth. In many superstitions, they're omens of death! So, basically she (and it was a she, it had a white stripe running through its wings that only females have) was just saying: "hey, I might be scary but I'm not bad!"

I took a picture, but can't access my cellphone right now. She looked like this:

moneyback-black-witch-moth-eleuthera-julia-gotz-juliatrees.jpg
tree.png xxxxice.png
xx
Keep your head up,
princess
snow.png
snow.png
snow.png
or your crown's
gonna fall
XX
xxxxice.png