Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Invertebrae - Photos of Tiny Critters
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72
[center] [item=Spineback Slug][item=Common Locust][item=Coppercoil Spider][item=Ghostcrab][item=Bark Centipede][item=Frost Whisper][item=Red Octopus][item=Nogglebane Leaf Beetle] [b][color=green][size=7]Invertebrae[/size] [size=5]Photos of Tiny Critters[/size][/color][/b] [item=Golden Coa Moth][item=Isopod][item=Maggot][item=Darkwood Titan][item=Tuxedo Urchin][item=Silverfish][item=Wooly Bear][item=Sun Baked Oysters] [/center] This was inspired by the Daily Endangered Species thread, but I wanted to do something more interactive. As you probably heard or read, invertebrates are dying at an incresing rate. Thus, I want you to go out and find some, to raise awareness of these beautiful creatures a bit more. I decided I want to go out a bit more, and in process get my hobby of taking snapshots of invertebrates going. This thread is kinda a motivation for me, maybe it'll be one for you too. Please share all the pictures you take. The quality doesn't mater to me, just seeing some critters will be nice. I take most of my pics with my phone. I can't promise I'll post something here daily. Time, wheather, and how busy I am with other will always be factors. [b]Rules:[/b] Only post pictures here you took yourself. Or - with their permission - pictures an IRL friend took. I want this thread to be as genuine as possible. And I want to see what kinda critters live where you live. I'd like if pictures are taken within the current year. As I mentioned before, invertebrates are dying, so current pictures are more relevent than pictures taken long ago. But all pics are fine, provided you specify if thesy've been taken some time ago if that's the case. Invertebrates only! There are so many more thread focused on vertebrates, and with this one I want to give an underappreciated group of animals some spotlight. So, keep this thread boneless. Lastly, and most importantly: [b]Try to disturb the animals as little as possible.[/b] Taking good photos is nice, but it's nowhere as important as keeping the critters comfortable. Let nature be nature. Not necessarily a rule, but try not to post pictures with warnings attched to them or therelike. I shared my thoughts on this somewhere is this thread, but will post them again here for visibility: [quote=Xionahri]I get your sentiment, but I don't like seeing warnings anywhere in this thread. people should know what they are getting into when reading even the first post. I kinda also made this as a place where pictures of all kinds of inverts are normalised. I mean, pictures of dogs are normal and without warnings everywhere, even when I have met more people IRL who are afraid of dogs than of spiders. I myself am actually a bit afraid of maggots (it's getting better, though) yet I will not stop anyone posting a picture of a maggot. they have all the right to belong in here as much as all the other inverts.[/quote] While this thread is mostly focused on wildlife, I don't mind photos of your pet invertebrates either. Any beautiful tiny critter is nice to see. Oh, and memes are allowed too, if they are at least somewhat related to inverts. Have fun! Now, go out and take some neat photos. PS: I mentioned Zoic's thread, Daily Endangered Species, in this thread's intro, so check it out too. It's a good thread. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gend/2599606%5D][img]https://images2.imgbox.com/09/43/OYNOGSDM_o.png[/img][/url] Also check out Waddwillow's Wildlife Club. Join if you like it. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gend/2724586#post_2724586][img]https://i.imgur.com/nWFhmK4.jpg[/img][/url]
Spineback Slug Common Locust Coppercoil Spider Ghostcrab Bark Centipede Frost Whisper Red Octopus Nogglebane Leaf Beetle
Invertebrae
Photos of Tiny Critters

Golden Coa Moth Isopod Maggot Darkwood Titan Tuxedo Urchin Silverfish Wooly Bear Sun Baked Oysters

This was inspired by the Daily Endangered Species thread, but I wanted to do something more interactive. As you probably heard or read, invertebrates are dying at an incresing rate. Thus, I want you to go out and find some, to raise awareness of these beautiful creatures a bit more.

I decided I want to go out a bit more, and in process get my hobby of taking snapshots of invertebrates going. This thread is kinda a motivation for me, maybe it'll be one for you too. Please share all the pictures you take. The quality doesn't mater to me, just seeing some critters will be nice. I take most of my pics with my phone.
I can't promise I'll post something here daily. Time, wheather, and how busy I am with other will always be factors.

Rules:
Only post pictures here you took yourself. Or - with their permission - pictures an IRL friend took. I want this thread to be as genuine as possible. And I want to see what kinda critters live where you live.
I'd like if pictures are taken within the current year. As I mentioned before, invertebrates are dying, so current pictures are more relevent than pictures taken long ago. But all pics are fine, provided you specify if thesy've been taken some time ago if that's the case.
Invertebrates only! There are so many more thread focused on vertebrates, and with this one I want to give an underappreciated group of animals some spotlight. So, keep this thread boneless.
Lastly, and most importantly: Try to disturb the animals as little as possible. Taking good photos is nice, but it's nowhere as important as keeping the critters comfortable. Let nature be nature.

Not necessarily a rule, but try not to post pictures with warnings attched to them or therelike.
I shared my thoughts on this somewhere is this thread, but will post them again here for visibility:
Xionahri wrote:
I get your sentiment, but I don't like seeing warnings anywhere in this thread. people should know what they are getting into when reading even the first post.
I kinda also made this as a place where pictures of all kinds of inverts are normalised. I mean, pictures of dogs are normal and without warnings everywhere, even when I have met more people IRL who are afraid of dogs than of spiders.
I myself am actually a bit afraid of maggots (it's getting better, though) yet I will not stop anyone posting a picture of a maggot. they have all the right to belong in here as much as all the other inverts.

While this thread is mostly focused on wildlife, I don't mind photos of your pet invertebrates either. Any beautiful tiny critter is nice to see.

Oh, and memes are allowed too, if they are at least somewhat related to inverts. Have fun!

Now, go out and take some neat photos.

PS: I mentioned Zoic's thread, Daily Endangered Species, in this thread's intro, so check it out too. It's a good thread.
OYNOGSDM_o.png

Also check out Waddwillow's Wildlife Club. Join if you like it.
nWFhmK4.jpg
Pinglist: @Xionahri @tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral @Dragonfruiteen @Aetherna @Saturnia @narumitsu @Natron @GeckoWithATophat @Zikitty @Gormanghaste @tremetol @Wait @Requacy @TheBugDetective @Cartography @triingquarry @ShallWeDance @seclusion @AmelioSageglow

If you want on the ping list, inform me. I'll put you on there as soon as possible. This list can be used by everyone posting here (which is the reason I myself am a part of it).

Posters:
Here's a list of people who've posted photos here. While it's not necessary, I'd like to know what country (or which part of your country, if you live in a bigger one) you're from. So tell me if you want. I'd like to know which animals you see in your part of the world.

Aerotyrannus
Aetherna - Spain
bittybatty
ChocoMeow - Germany
CyanDog - Australia
Cynictis - Arizona, USA
Deramadus
Dragonfruiteen - Arizona, USA
Kodama - Southeast USA
Kyuremu - NSW, Australia
LibraryWhale - Michigan, USA
Lexreon - Canada
Masotan
Miragaia - Oregon, USA
mothmen - Virginia, USA
Nebiros - Pennsylvania, USA
Nekron
PixelSpiral - European Russia
RainbowRay
Saturnia - Eastern Europe
Shiinotic
Spottedleaf125 - CTZ, USA
Tomaytotomahto
Voronwis - UK
Xionahri - Germany
Zoic - a desert
Pinglist: @Xionahri @tomaytotomahto @Pixelspiral @Dragonfruiteen @Aetherna @Saturnia @narumitsu @Natron @GeckoWithATophat @Zikitty @Gormanghaste @tremetol @Wait @Requacy @TheBugDetective @Cartography @triingquarry @ShallWeDance @seclusion @AmelioSageglow

If you want on the ping list, inform me. I'll put you on there as soon as possible. This list can be used by everyone posting here (which is the reason I myself am a part of it).

Posters:
Here's a list of people who've posted photos here. While it's not necessary, I'd like to know what country (or which part of your country, if you live in a bigger one) you're from. So tell me if you want. I'd like to know which animals you see in your part of the world.

Aerotyrannus
Aetherna - Spain
bittybatty
ChocoMeow - Germany
CyanDog - Australia
Cynictis - Arizona, USA
Deramadus
Dragonfruiteen - Arizona, USA
Kodama - Southeast USA
Kyuremu - NSW, Australia
LibraryWhale - Michigan, USA
Lexreon - Canada
Masotan
Miragaia - Oregon, USA
mothmen - Virginia, USA
Nebiros - Pennsylvania, USA
Nekron
PixelSpiral - European Russia
RainbowRay
Saturnia - Eastern Europe
Shiinotic
Spottedleaf125 - CTZ, USA
Tomaytotomahto
Voronwis - UK
Xionahri - Germany
Zoic - a desert
Page for additional stuff. I might post news, signature art (once I have some) and other things regarding this thread here.

Art wanted!
If you'd like to help this thread by drawing a banner or little signature image things, I'd greatly appreciate this. I have no skill in digital art myself, so any help would be grand.

Donations?
I would like to do some raffle related to this thread in the future. I'd like donations of gems and various invertebrate related stuff (that aren't food items or common familiars, as those will be used for raffle points). So, if you have spare gems or invertebrate related genes, apparel, skins or similar, a donation would be nice. All of these things will be safely vaulted and only be used for these raffles. Of course, I'll try to contribute as much as possible too.

Quick note on insects and water (can potetionally help critters you find)
Whenever you see an insect that seems a bit out of it, try giving it acces to water. This can be a single drop just in front of them, or place them (if said animal is a flight-capable winged one) of a flat rock inside a bird bath (not on the sides, since they are rather steep most of the time and can cause a small animal like that to slip and drown).
This at least works well with lepidoptera and hymenoptera, as I've tested it with both and they respond well to it. Should work with other types of insect too, at least if they have functional mouthparts.
Speaking of hymenoptera, a beekeeper I know specifically recommend the 'flat rock in bird bath' thing to me, as bees will commonly land in places like this to get a drink of water.

One the opposite side of that, a seemingly drowned insect can possibly be revived by salting it, providing it has not been in the water too long. The salt sucks the water out of its trachea, and so air can reenter them. Even an animal that has been completely motionless can spring to life after a few seconds to minutes.
Page for additional stuff. I might post news, signature art (once I have some) and other things regarding this thread here.

Art wanted!
If you'd like to help this thread by drawing a banner or little signature image things, I'd greatly appreciate this. I have no skill in digital art myself, so any help would be grand.

Donations?
I would like to do some raffle related to this thread in the future. I'd like donations of gems and various invertebrate related stuff (that aren't food items or common familiars, as those will be used for raffle points). So, if you have spare gems or invertebrate related genes, apparel, skins or similar, a donation would be nice. All of these things will be safely vaulted and only be used for these raffles. Of course, I'll try to contribute as much as possible too.

Quick note on insects and water (can potetionally help critters you find)
Whenever you see an insect that seems a bit out of it, try giving it acces to water. This can be a single drop just in front of them, or place them (if said animal is a flight-capable winged one) of a flat rock inside a bird bath (not on the sides, since they are rather steep most of the time and can cause a small animal like that to slip and drown).
This at least works well with lepidoptera and hymenoptera, as I've tested it with both and they respond well to it. Should work with other types of insect too, at least if they have functional mouthparts.
Speaking of hymenoptera, a beekeeper I know specifically recommend the 'flat rock in bird bath' thing to me, as bees will commonly land in places like this to get a drink of water.

One the opposite side of that, a seemingly drowned insect can possibly be revived by salting it, providing it has not been in the water too long. The salt sucks the water out of its trachea, and so air can reenter them. Even an animal that has been completely motionless can spring to life after a few seconds to minutes.
Here's the start of this wonderful thread. It almost wasn't made today, as I found nothing outside today and it was getting too windy too continue. But then, inside, I came across humanity's most humble companion: the cellar spider. [img]https://i.imgur.com/6ULDt4V.jpg[/img] These little spiders actually adapted to live with humans. Sicne the beginning of our species, we've been sharing our caves with them. We kept predators away from them with our presence, and they in turn ate insects that might harm us - including the world's deadliest animal, the mosquito. Even as or caves became fancier, they stayed with us. Wonerful critters, even though many people wouldn't think much about them.
Here's the start of this wonderful thread. It almost wasn't made today, as I found nothing outside today and it was getting too windy too continue.

But then, inside, I came across humanity's most humble companion: the cellar spider.
6ULDt4V.jpg
These little spiders actually adapted to live with humans. Sicne the beginning of our species, we've been sharing our caves with them. We kept predators away from them with our presence, and they in turn ate insects that might harm us - including the world's deadliest animal, the mosquito. Even as or caves became fancier, they stayed with us. Wonerful critters, even though many people wouldn't think much about them.
Haven't found any critter today. It's still kinda cold and for health reasons I don't want to stay outside that long today. There's oddly few flowers currently. Snowdrops should be starting to bloom at the moment, but I can't see any around. Here's a little something though. I found outside, in a tiny corner near the house what looks like a spider web that still looks usable enough. Someone lives there. [img]https://i.imgur.com/LXwb2AH.jpg[/img] Edit: damn, that pic looks bad. That's what I get trying to photograph a small silk construct in a dark corner with a phone.
Haven't found any critter today. It's still kinda cold and for health reasons I don't want to stay outside that long today. There's oddly few flowers currently. Snowdrops should be starting to bloom at the moment, but I can't see any around.

Here's a little something though. I found outside, in a tiny corner near the house what looks like a spider web that still looks usable enough. Someone lives there.
LXwb2AH.jpg

Edit: damn, that pic looks bad. That's what I get trying to photograph a small silk construct in a dark corner with a phone.
@Xianahri Put me on the pinglist please! Here are some pictures of my African long tailed centipede [i](Rhysida longipes)[/i], which I named Centipeetle. I only have pictures of him in the shipping vial because he blends in with the substrate in his enclosure. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/435922842370965506/547819060134543360/image2.jpg[/img] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/435922842370965506/547819059471974401/image0.jpg[/img] His species isn’t native to my area, but there are lots of large, brightly colored centipedes that [i]are[/i] native here, like [i]Scolopendra heros[/i] and [i]Scolopendra polymorpha[/i], so maybe I’ll get pictures of them one day. I’ve always mostly been into invertebrates, but centipedes are especially cool to me.
@Xianahri Put me on the pinglist please!

Here are some pictures of my African long tailed centipede (Rhysida longipes), which I named Centipeetle. I only have pictures of him in the shipping vial because he blends in with the substrate in his enclosure.

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

His species isn’t native to my area, but there are lots of large, brightly colored centipedes that are native here, like Scolopendra heros and Scolopendra polymorpha, so maybe I’ll get pictures of them one day. I’ve always mostly been into invertebrates, but centipedes are especially cool to me.
image.png
@tomaytotomahto Your pictures don't work and I want to see your lovely monstrosity[emoji=amber mosquito]
@tomaytotomahto
Your pictures don't work and I want to see your lovely monstrosity
we3Gmh2.pngCWpoTRF.pngjjb11A7.gif
@Tomaytotomahto

As Voro said too, those pics don't work. I suggest uploading them to https://imgur.com/ It's easy to use and requires no signup.

Myriapodes are great. Don't have to many of those around here. Soem species of centipedes and millipedes are supposed to be found in central europe, yet I've never seen one in the wild.

Good luck taking pictures of wild ones. Judging from the distribution of those two species you mentioned, I guess you're somewhere from either southern US or northern Mexico. Sounds like it's a lot warmer there than here, so you likely have a better chance of finding critters than I do at the moment.

And now, I really wanna see centipeetle. He sounds nice.
@Tomaytotomahto

As Voro said too, those pics don't work. I suggest uploading them to https://imgur.com/ It's easy to use and requires no signup.

Myriapodes are great. Don't have to many of those around here. Soem species of centipedes and millipedes are supposed to be found in central europe, yet I've never seen one in the wild.

Good luck taking pictures of wild ones. Judging from the distribution of those two species you mentioned, I guess you're somewhere from either southern US or northern Mexico. Sounds like it's a lot warmer there than here, so you likely have a better chance of finding critters than I do at the moment.

And now, I really wanna see centipeetle. He sounds nice.
@Xionahri Here's a pandora moth caterpillar I snapped a picture of during the summer! Taken in central Oregon, USA [img]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/8dc9f7ee-b3d6-42a6-a488-8eaa8cd49ecd/dd09c7n-78604260-12b4-4ba5-a461-f91d9136f746.jpg/v1/fill/w_774,h_1032,q_70,strp/untitled_by_quadrupedal_dd09c7n-pre.jpg[/img]
@Xionahri

Here's a pandora moth caterpillar I snapped a picture of during the summer! Taken in central Oregon, USA

untitled_by_quadrupedal_dd09c7n-pre.jpg
4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
@Miragaia

Ohh, that's a good picture. Cute caterpillar too. Nice find!

Okay, change of plans. I mostly wanted this thread to be pictuires taken in the vurrent year, but I can't pass beautiful pics like this up.
@Miragaia

Ohh, that's a good picture. Cute caterpillar too. Nice find!

Okay, change of plans. I mostly wanted this thread to be pictuires taken in the vurrent year, but I can't pass beautiful pics like this up.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 71 72