Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone willing to do D&D with me?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I'm finishing up my Aasimar Paladin why do the stats and/or rules have to be so complicated, and although i've never played before, I've heard wonderful stories, and I'd love to be able to do so, although I'm unsure how to start. Would anyone be willing to help and/or adventure with me?
I'm finishing up my Aasimar Paladin why do the stats and/or rules have to be so complicated, and although i've never played before, I've heard wonderful stories, and I'd love to be able to do so, although I'm unsure how to start. Would anyone be willing to help and/or adventure with me?
lryevj1.pngyXDNgEJ.png0ZDiNpW.png
@Angel614 While I'm in too many campaigns myself to run another, I can certainly give you some tips and pointers!

First, what ruleset/edition are you using? It sounds like 5e or Fifth Edition D&D, but correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Second, if you are using 5e I definitely recommend using the D&D Beyond website, it's very useful, though you do have to buy some things on it, or at least the Game Master will need to in order to let the players use certain facets. It requires a Twitch.TV account in order to log in and use the site.

Another great resource is Roll 20 which allows you to move icons on a map set up by the game master. Excellent for combat or just keeping track of where characters are sometimes. I believe it is free, but does require a valid email in order to sign up.

Discord is a great and free chat service to allow you to speak together with your gaming group, though you can also use a play-by-post format here as well.

Once you form a group, I do recommend setting a specific time each week or every other week that everyone is available in order to guarantee the game doesn't stall out because one person is not committed. That's happened to a lot of my play-by-post role playing games, here and on other forum communities.

I think that's all I have off hand, if you have any specific questions I can certainly see about helping further. I used to play classic A D&D with my dad and uncles as a kid, but I've used lots of table top RPG rule sets at this point too!
@Angel614 While I'm in too many campaigns myself to run another, I can certainly give you some tips and pointers!

First, what ruleset/edition are you using? It sounds like 5e or Fifth Edition D&D, but correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Second, if you are using 5e I definitely recommend using the D&D Beyond website, it's very useful, though you do have to buy some things on it, or at least the Game Master will need to in order to let the players use certain facets. It requires a Twitch.TV account in order to log in and use the site.

Another great resource is Roll 20 which allows you to move icons on a map set up by the game master. Excellent for combat or just keeping track of where characters are sometimes. I believe it is free, but does require a valid email in order to sign up.

Discord is a great and free chat service to allow you to speak together with your gaming group, though you can also use a play-by-post format here as well.

Once you form a group, I do recommend setting a specific time each week or every other week that everyone is available in order to guarantee the game doesn't stall out because one person is not committed. That's happened to a lot of my play-by-post role playing games, here and on other forum communities.

I think that's all I have off hand, if you have any specific questions I can certainly see about helping further. I used to play classic A D&D with my dad and uncles as a kid, but I've used lots of table top RPG rule sets at this point too!
dFnwkLI.png
pZJYyk4.png
ePOliyb.png
77780318.png77918481.png[/img]
@Quillis,

Ahh Thank you!

I'm using the 5th edition, mainly because it was recommended to me by a friend.

I will absolutely check out all of those websites! thank you so much for the advice! *hugs*

Do you have any tips for filling out the character form? I get the base stats and such, but everything else..Yeah. For example, I don't know what to do for equipment or magic and such.
@Quillis,

Ahh Thank you!

I'm using the 5th edition, mainly because it was recommended to me by a friend.

I will absolutely check out all of those websites! thank you so much for the advice! *hugs*

Do you have any tips for filling out the character form? I get the base stats and such, but everything else..Yeah. For example, I don't know what to do for equipment or magic and such.
@Angel614

On D&D Beyond they have basic "set ups" and some of that stuff will depend on who you have running your campaign! For example, you may just select a "starter pack" for a paladin, or your GM may say "You have XXX amount of gold and can buy your starting supplies with it"

If you have a specific heirloom or character item that is important to your background or backstory, you will want to work it over with the GM and make sure it isn't something that will break the game if you have it from the get go. For example, having a token or trinket from a lost love or parent is usually fine and great for character building, however a pair of winged boots that let you fly is 100% going to break the game if you have it right away! Think of all the pitfall traps and dungeon gaps that you could easily defeat with that!

I'd have to look up what a 5e Paladin has for starting options, though you can usually find some info in the handbook itself if you have a copy.

I've only just joined a 5e campaign myself! Yesterday was the second session I partook in, and unfortunately the rest of the party I just joined have high bounties on their heads in at least two countries, so my blue Dragonborn barbarian got thrown in jail with them when they got caught! It was quite the adventure and the session ended before we fully escaped, but it was certainly interesting!
EDIT: Another resource I enjoy is the Teal Dice Roller It's not the same as a real old fashioned set of dice, but it's not half bad!
@Angel614

On D&D Beyond they have basic "set ups" and some of that stuff will depend on who you have running your campaign! For example, you may just select a "starter pack" for a paladin, or your GM may say "You have XXX amount of gold and can buy your starting supplies with it"

If you have a specific heirloom or character item that is important to your background or backstory, you will want to work it over with the GM and make sure it isn't something that will break the game if you have it from the get go. For example, having a token or trinket from a lost love or parent is usually fine and great for character building, however a pair of winged boots that let you fly is 100% going to break the game if you have it right away! Think of all the pitfall traps and dungeon gaps that you could easily defeat with that!

I'd have to look up what a 5e Paladin has for starting options, though you can usually find some info in the handbook itself if you have a copy.

I've only just joined a 5e campaign myself! Yesterday was the second session I partook in, and unfortunately the rest of the party I just joined have high bounties on their heads in at least two countries, so my blue Dragonborn barbarian got thrown in jail with them when they got caught! It was quite the adventure and the session ended before we fully escaped, but it was certainly interesting!
EDIT: Another resource I enjoy is the Teal Dice Roller It's not the same as a real old fashioned set of dice, but it's not half bad!
dFnwkLI.png
pZJYyk4.png
ePOliyb.png
77780318.png77918481.png[/img]
Ive never played either, but im pretty interested. I havent had the best experience with regular rp. I might be interested though
Ive never played either, but im pretty interested. I havent had the best experience with regular rp. I might be interested though
854_0b2828e6da7a7fa3_I.gif
I'm a beginner myself but I'd also be interested! ^^
I'm a beginner myself but I'd also be interested! ^^
komaeda_icon__free_to_use__by_pinkbunnii-d74v520.gif
Furvilla | FR+2 | ToyHou.se
divider__6__by_ladymidnightsolace-da3ygsj.png
@Quillis,

Sweet! I’ll check it out!

I don’t know if i’ll Have a special meaningful item for her (I might I dunno), but I definitely like the idea!

PFFFT THAT IS HILARIOUS!
“What happens when you have too many edgy characters” XD!

Sweet! Thank you so much!

@V88,

Really? Sweet! Do you know anything about the game?

@BadLuck, really?! Yes! We can put together a group!
@Quillis,

Sweet! I’ll check it out!

I don’t know if i’ll Have a special meaningful item for her (I might I dunno), but I definitely like the idea!

PFFFT THAT IS HILARIOUS!
“What happens when you have too many edgy characters” XD!

Sweet! Thank you so much!

@V88,

Really? Sweet! Do you know anything about the game?

@BadLuck, really?! Yes! We can put together a group!
@Angel614

A bit, I almost was in a game with my dad and some other people but plans kinda fell through. I'll still need to do some research though.
@Angel614

A bit, I almost was in a game with my dad and some other people but plans kinda fell through. I'll still need to do some research though.
854_0b2828e6da7a7fa3_I.gif
@Angel614

Yep! I play once a week with some others so I might be able to provide a little help if needed ^^
@Angel614

Yep! I play once a week with some others so I might be able to provide a little help if needed ^^
komaeda_icon__free_to_use__by_pinkbunnii-d74v520.gif
Furvilla | FR+2 | ToyHou.se
divider__6__by_ladymidnightsolace-da3ygsj.png
@Badluck and @V88,

Sweet! Now we just need a DM I think.
@Badluck and @V88,

Sweet! Now we just need a DM I think.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8