Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | NaNoWriMo Novelists, Unite!
1 2 3
[center]I'm doing NaNoWriMo and, true to form, am dodging my daily word count by doing something else instead. :] I thought it would be fun to have a NaNo hub right here for the Flight Rising community to take part in! [b][size=4]What's NaNoMeMo?[/b][/size] "NaNoWriMo" stands for [b]National Novel Writing Month.[/b] At its core, the idea is that you write 1,667 words every single day in November--that's just shy of 6 pages, double-spaced, in 12 point Times New Roman--and by the end of the final day, you have a 50,000 word novel--wow! The official NaNoWriMo // NaNo month is November--aka, right now! [b][size=4]What, that's crazy! Why??[/b][/size] The "why" changes depending on who you ask. Some people do it for fun, or for the challenge of it; others do it because writing for a certain amount of time a day is a good habit to get into if you want to be a writer; some do it because they want to get a novel out of their brain and onto paper and November is a good time because there's lots of other people doing the same thing. In the end, everyone is doing it because they want to [i]write[/i]. [b][size=4]Wow. How do I join?[/b][/size] Well, you can really just do it, if you want to! Lots of people use Word or Google Drive or countless other writing apps and sites for the word count alone, but I know plenty of people who type it all on a typewriter, and even some who prefer to write by hand! There [i]is[/i] an official site for NaNoWriMo [url=https://nanowrimo.org/](nanowrimo.org)[/url], where you can sign up, connect with other writers, set goals, and even update your word count daily and see a graph of your progress...but it's not at all required. All that you need is a pen and paper (or a typewriter, or a keyboard) and the will and drive to do it! [b][size=4]Well, it's already November...it's too late, right?[/b][/size] Not at all! I'm posting this early my time on November the 3rd, which means by the end of the day, you "ought" to have 5,001 words done. However, if you start today, all you have to do is write 1,853 words a day for the next 27 days, and you'll actually [i]overreach[/i] the 50k mark because I had to round up! [b][size=4]That's too much pressure! What if I can't do it?[/b][/size] That's okay! Hundreds, nay, thousands of excited NaNo participants "fail" every year! Even if you don't make the 50k mark, you'll still have all the words you put down, and you'll have practiced the craft, and--corny as it sounds--those are the real prizes that come out of this whole deal! If you don't make it to the end, or you fall short of 50k, you'll still have made connections, and made art, and gotten [i]better[/i] at making art...and I don't think that's a waste of time, at all. :) So--after that brief digression--I thought it would be fun to have a community / support thread for everyone on-site doing NaNo this year! :) Please feel free to comment, to ask questions, to gripe, to moan, to ask for feedback...and, of course, to share your victories and successes! If you like, go ahead and share a synopsis of your piece, a profile of your main character, and/or a brief description of your world! Also, please feel free to post any funny typos or general bits of silliness, as well as any writing-themed dragons you may have--I'll spotlight them below! :) Now, back to work. Write on and may Hunoluil, our Patron of Writers, bless you with inspiration, grit, and drive! And remember...in November we write. Edits are December-you's problem. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46521874] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/465219/46521874_350.png[/img] [/url][/center]
I'm doing NaNoWriMo and, true to form, am dodging my daily word count by doing something else instead. :] I thought it would be fun to have a NaNo hub right here for the Flight Rising community to take part in!

What's NaNoMeMo?
"NaNoWriMo" stands for National Novel Writing Month. At its core, the idea is that you write 1,667 words every single day in November--that's just shy of 6 pages, double-spaced, in 12 point Times New Roman--and by the end of the final day, you have a 50,000 word novel--wow! The official NaNoWriMo // NaNo month is November--aka, right now!

What, that's crazy! Why??
The "why" changes depending on who you ask. Some people do it for fun, or for the challenge of it; others do it because writing for a certain amount of time a day is a good habit to get into if you want to be a writer; some do it because they want to get a novel out of their brain and onto paper and November is a good time because there's lots of other people doing the same thing. In the end, everyone is doing it because they want to write.

Wow. How do I join?
Well, you can really just do it, if you want to! Lots of people use Word or Google Drive or countless other writing apps and sites for the word count alone, but I know plenty of people who type it all on a typewriter, and even some who prefer to write by hand! There is an official site for NaNoWriMo (nanowrimo.org), where you can sign up, connect with other writers, set goals, and even update your word count daily and see a graph of your progress...but it's not at all required. All that you need is a pen and paper (or a typewriter, or a keyboard) and the will and drive to do it!

Well, it's already November...it's too late, right?
Not at all! I'm posting this early my time on November the 3rd, which means by the end of the day, you "ought" to have 5,001 words done. However, if you start today, all you have to do is write 1,853 words a day for the next 27 days, and you'll actually overreach the 50k mark because I had to round up!

That's too much pressure! What if I can't do it?
That's okay! Hundreds, nay, thousands of excited NaNo participants "fail" every year! Even if you don't make the 50k mark, you'll still have all the words you put down, and you'll have practiced the craft, and--corny as it sounds--those are the real prizes that come out of this whole deal! If you don't make it to the end, or you fall short of 50k, you'll still have made connections, and made art, and gotten better at making art...and I don't think that's a waste of time, at all. :)

So--after that brief digression--I thought it would be fun to have a community / support thread for everyone on-site doing NaNo this year! :) Please feel free to comment, to ask questions, to gripe, to moan, to ask for feedback...and, of course, to share your victories and successes!

If you like, go ahead and share a synopsis of your piece, a profile of your main character, and/or a brief description of your world!

Also, please feel free to post any funny typos or general bits of silliness, as well as any writing-themed dragons you may have--I'll spotlight them below! :)

Now, back to work. Write on and may Hunoluil, our Patron of Writers, bless you with inspiration, grit, and drive! And remember...in November we write.

Edits are December-you's problem.

46521874_350.png
[center][b][size=6]Motivation[/b][/size] [img]https://tenor.com/view/dont-stop-dont-give-up-kid-advice-motivation-gif-4496803.gif[/img] [/center]
Motivation

dont-stop-dont-give-up-kid-advice-motivation-gif-4496803.gif

References and Resources

I'm currently writing an adventure pirate novel, so that means lots of research on sword fighting, sailing, and injuries. Shout out if you want any links--they don't have to be pirate related! :)

References and Resources

I'm currently writing an adventure pirate novel, so that means lots of research on sword fighting, sailing, and injuries. Shout out if you want any links--they don't have to be pirate related! :)

[center][size=6]Writing Dragon Spotlight[/size] @Dragonwolfpup 's Holly!! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28769440] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/287695/28769440_350.png[/img] [/url][/center]
Writing Dragon Spotlight

@Dragonwolfpup 's Holly!!

28769440_350.png
Aaannnd feel free to post!

Hi, I'm Kira and I'm currently writing a pirate//adventure novel! It's actually my thesis for my master's program, and I'm so excited to be devoting NaNo to it! <3

Elliana is a princess, and second in line for the throne, until her elder brother is murdered by pirates. When she fails to bring his killers to justice as a princess, she runs away to become a pirate herself, changing her name to help protect her identity. She then begins a manhunt which may or may not claim her life--and in the process, manages to anger Prince Aegir of a neighboring nation, who vows to bring her to justice.

Will Elliana (now Verdigris) find the man who killed her brother? Will Aegir bring her back to his home nation to face justice? Will her parents discover that she's turned pirate? Will her first mate, Gerig, have a literal heart attack as he tries to keep her safe?

Coming soon to an editing table near you!
Aaannnd feel free to post!

Hi, I'm Kira and I'm currently writing a pirate//adventure novel! It's actually my thesis for my master's program, and I'm so excited to be devoting NaNo to it! <3

Elliana is a princess, and second in line for the throne, until her elder brother is murdered by pirates. When she fails to bring his killers to justice as a princess, she runs away to become a pirate herself, changing her name to help protect her identity. She then begins a manhunt which may or may not claim her life--and in the process, manages to anger Prince Aegir of a neighboring nation, who vows to bring her to justice.

Will Elliana (now Verdigris) find the man who killed her brother? Will Aegir bring her back to his home nation to face justice? Will her parents discover that she's turned pirate? Will her first mate, Gerig, have a literal heart attack as he tries to keep her safe?

Coming soon to an editing table near you!
OOh, I'm doing it this year! I've always wanted to write a book, and this will finally be my year. My book is basically about a super pessimistic boy named Terren who gets a special tarot deck from his grandmother which ends up reacting to his pessimism and decides to teach him what his negativity will truly get him. I only have, like 1000 words. Pthhhhh... [center] this is the dragon writing beside me. Holly's already written a ton of books, and she's inspiring me to not procrastinate. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28769440] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/287695/28769440_350.png[/img] [/url][/center]
OOh, I'm doing it this year! I've always wanted to write a book, and this will finally be my year.

My book is basically about a super pessimistic boy named Terren who gets a special tarot deck from his grandmother which ends up reacting to his pessimism and decides to teach him what his negativity will truly get him.
I only have, like 1000 words. Pthhhhh...
this is the dragon writing beside me. Holly's already written a ton of books, and she's inspiring me to not procrastinate.

28769440_350.png
4X87HDW.png
Totally Interesting bio
This will be my 7th year doing NaNoWriMo and I have high hopes for completing this one as well.

Btw if you have an account on the NaNoWriMo site you should check this out. You can create a pokemon in your signature that will grow and evolve as you write!

http://thousandroads.net/fanfic/nanowrimon/

This will be my 7th year doing NaNoWriMo and I have high hopes for completing this one as well.

Btw if you have an account on the NaNoWriMo site you should check this out. You can create a pokemon in your signature that will grow and evolve as you write!

http://thousandroads.net/fanfic/nanowrimon/

_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow
@Dragonwolfpup

Hi and welcome! :3 That sounds so awesome! Do you have a working title at all?

Holly looks amazing by the way!! ^_^ I wish we had more "bookish" apparel for our dergs~

@TwilightDreams

That's amazing!! :O Congratulations on so many awesome years!

I definitely ran right over to that link and made myself a Charmander~ :3
@Dragonwolfpup

Hi and welcome! :3 That sounds so awesome! Do you have a working title at all?

Holly looks amazing by the way!! ^_^ I wish we had more "bookish" apparel for our dergs~

@TwilightDreams

That's amazing!! :O Congratulations on so many awesome years!

I definitely ran right over to that link and made myself a Charmander~ :3
I was looking for a thread about NaNo to procrastinate with yesterday, I'm glad to see someone made a thread. haha

My NaNo this year is technically a re-write of last years (which I never finished). It's focused on one of my OCs who is deaf, has bpd, and is a werewolf-vampire hybrid. A lot of parts of his story has changed, so I'm trying to get his story done this year.

also I 1000% immediately signed up for a NaNoWriMon.
I was looking for a thread about NaNo to procrastinate with yesterday, I'm glad to see someone made a thread. haha

My NaNo this year is technically a re-write of last years (which I never finished). It's focused on one of my OCs who is deaf, has bpd, and is a werewolf-vampire hybrid. A lot of parts of his story has changed, so I'm trying to get his story done this year.

also I 1000% immediately signed up for a NaNoWriMon.
KvxzF3W.png ♦ adult ♦ he/him ♦ FR Time ♦ kpop fan ♦ pms / pings / friend requests ok ♦ lore

You did well today
@Redeim

I procrastinated by making the thread :P Feel free to procrastinate within it!

That sounds so interesting! Mine is technically a continuation of my novel, but apart from class requirements this will be the first time I've properly sat down to write it. xD

@Redeim

I procrastinated by making the thread :P Feel free to procrastinate within it!

That sounds so interesting! Mine is technically a continuation of my novel, but apart from class requirements this will be the first time I've properly sat down to write it. xD

1 2 3