Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Best Spooky/Horror movies for Halloween
1 2
Looking to add some to the list to watch through my days off. List anything you think is scary to watch alone at night. :D
Looking to add some to the list to watch through my days off. List anything you think is scary to watch alone at night. :D
some general ~spoopy~ films i enjoy watching on halloween are: insidious, the conjuring, annabelle, saw, the exorcist, rose red (it's a miniseries by stephen king!! it's amazing), scream, silent hill, the babadook, the thing (original),

i've seen 300+ horror films and the scariest (for me) were: cannibal holocaust, i spit on your grave (original), last house on the left, veronica, creep, the descent, sinister, the wailing (it's in korean but !!! SO CREEPY)

i also really like dark floors, which was made by a finnish heavy metal band, which is pretty neat :')
some general ~spoopy~ films i enjoy watching on halloween are: insidious, the conjuring, annabelle, saw, the exorcist, rose red (it's a miniseries by stephen king!! it's amazing), scream, silent hill, the babadook, the thing (original),

i've seen 300+ horror films and the scariest (for me) were: cannibal holocaust, i spit on your grave (original), last house on the left, veronica, creep, the descent, sinister, the wailing (it's in korean but !!! SO CREEPY)

i also really like dark floors, which was made by a finnish heavy metal band, which is pretty neat :')
tumblr_inline_p9tieiGTwc1qbn90k_75sq.giftumblr_inline_p9tifvs2vw1qbn90k_75sq.gif
@caffeinecold
Thank you for the suggestions! I love Rose Red there are some great scares in that mini series. :D
@caffeinecold
Thank you for the suggestions! I love Rose Red there are some great scares in that mini series. :D
I suggest a hidden gem called Contagion. It may seem boring in the synopsis but once you actually THINK about whats going on, it's absolutely terrifying. I also, suggest the "so bad but spooky" movie Signs.
I suggest a hidden gem called Contagion. It may seem boring in the synopsis but once you actually THINK about whats going on, it's absolutely terrifying. I also, suggest the "so bad but spooky" movie Signs.
dWCPwZL.png Dragon Tail Plushies for SALE!
@SmokeyPinecone Signs is absolutely terrifying! XDD
I first watched that when I was about 12 (the film itself only had a 12 rating) and it creeped me out so much! It's the suspense from not seeing anything that makes it so spooky throughout the film.

I'm also going to recommend A Quiet Place, which is less horror and more suspense/ thriller but ties in with Hallowe'en quite well.

Also the Conjuring universe is my favourite - the fact that they all take place along the same timeline is awesome. I recommend viewing them in the order of their release date tbh: The Conjuring, Annabelle, The Conjuring 2, Annabelle Creation, and finally The Nun was just released this year (I don't know if it's out on video yet).

I'm a sucker for ghost stories (is there anything better for watching alone at night??) so if you've not already seen them, the Paranormal Activity films are great to binge! There's 6 of them, best to watch them in order of release.

The Haunting in Connecticut is a total classic/ must watch. As is The Ring & The Grudge - I recommend the Japanese versions over the western remakes, especially of the Grudge.

And finally whilst not films; if you're a gamer I recommend trying out Amnesia, the Silent Hill series, and Project Zero/ Fatal Frame. Great spooky hallowe'en goodness right there!
@SmokeyPinecone Signs is absolutely terrifying! XDD
I first watched that when I was about 12 (the film itself only had a 12 rating) and it creeped me out so much! It's the suspense from not seeing anything that makes it so spooky throughout the film.

I'm also going to recommend A Quiet Place, which is less horror and more suspense/ thriller but ties in with Hallowe'en quite well.

Also the Conjuring universe is my favourite - the fact that they all take place along the same timeline is awesome. I recommend viewing them in the order of their release date tbh: The Conjuring, Annabelle, The Conjuring 2, Annabelle Creation, and finally The Nun was just released this year (I don't know if it's out on video yet).

I'm a sucker for ghost stories (is there anything better for watching alone at night??) so if you've not already seen them, the Paranormal Activity films are great to binge! There's 6 of them, best to watch them in order of release.

The Haunting in Connecticut is a total classic/ must watch. As is The Ring & The Grudge - I recommend the Japanese versions over the western remakes, especially of the Grudge.

And finally whilst not films; if you're a gamer I recommend trying out Amnesia, the Silent Hill series, and Project Zero/ Fatal Frame. Great spooky hallowe'en goodness right there!
tDAcVLz.png
I recently watched 'a quiet place', it's more of a thriller but it has great jumpscares
I recently watched 'a quiet place', it's more of a thriller but it has great jumpscares
tumblr_inline_nc6dk1vPha1scrvs1.gif
I'll just leave this list here for a random assortment of horror movies that you can look up if any seem interesting. [quote name="DesertUmbra" date="2017-10-04 19:55:16" ] Ah man, I love horror. I'm not sure if you've seen the classics (stuff like Alien, The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Thing (1982), Psycho (1960), The Exorcist, The Fly (1986), Silence of the Lambs, Poltergeist (1982), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), etc.) But if you're looking for stuff that's a bit less know/praised (though some are cult classics), I'd suggest some of these: [LIST] [*]The Mist (This one is one of my favorites. Not too scary, but fun to watch) [*]The Host (2006, not the awful 2013 one. Haven't seen this one, but it's been recommended to me a few times) [*]Eraserhead (Kinda slow and artsy, but with some unsettling imagery and sounds) [*]From Beyond (Kinda funny/weird for a majority of it, but towards the end it gets more gory/unsettling, and then it gets funny again) [*]Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978. Pretty good stuff, slow at first, builds suspense, nice payoff at the end) [*]The Blob (1988. Kinda dumb, but the death scenes are wonderfully graphic and unique) [*]REC (Found footage style zombie movie but also in Spanish. That's all I need to say) [*]Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness (Two films, cult classic comedy/horror that I just love) [*]Re-Animator (This one is... entertaining? Like, I watched the whole thing but I'm not sure how I really feel about it. Kinda a horror/comedy.) [*]Tremors (Wonderful B monster movie, nothing else needs to be said) [*]Under the Skin (This is also one of my favorites, don't look up anything about it before you watch it) [*]Videodrome (Also confusing but kinda funny. She was a TV the whole time!) [*]Slither (Wonderful horror/comedy film that's reminiscent of The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers) [*]Child's Play (More well-known as the Chucky movie, it's funny and kinda creepy at times) [*]The Blair Witch Project (Originator of the whole found footage craze, for better or for worse) [*]The Void (A newer sci-fi/horror movie that I really want to love, but it's just too much of a mess. Still worth a watch if you like sci-fi/horror, though) [*]They Live (Sci-fi/horror/action/comedy. What else is there to say?) [/LIST] [/quote]
I'll just leave this list here for a random assortment of horror movies that you can look up if any seem interesting.
DesertUmbra wrote on 2017-10-04 19:55:16:
Ah man, I love horror. I'm not sure if you've seen the classics (stuff like Alien, The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Thing (1982), Psycho (1960), The Exorcist, The Fly (1986), Silence of the Lambs, Poltergeist (1982), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), etc.)

But if you're looking for stuff that's a bit less know/praised (though some are cult classics), I'd suggest some of these:
  • The Mist (This one is one of my favorites. Not too scary, but fun to watch)
  • The Host (2006, not the awful 2013 one. Haven't seen this one, but it's been recommended to me a few times)
  • Eraserhead (Kinda slow and artsy, but with some unsettling imagery and sounds)
  • From Beyond (Kinda funny/weird for a majority of it, but towards the end it gets more gory/unsettling, and then it gets funny again)
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978. Pretty good stuff, slow at first, builds suspense, nice payoff at the end)
  • The Blob (1988. Kinda dumb, but the death scenes are wonderfully graphic and unique)
  • REC (Found footage style zombie movie but also in Spanish. That's all I need to say)
  • Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness (Two films, cult classic comedy/horror that I just love)
  • Re-Animator (This one is... entertaining? Like, I watched the whole thing but I'm not sure how I really feel about it. Kinda a horror/comedy.)
  • Tremors (Wonderful B monster movie, nothing else needs to be said)
  • Under the Skin (This is also one of my favorites, don't look up anything about it before you watch it)
  • Videodrome (Also confusing but kinda funny. She was a TV the whole time!)
  • Slither (Wonderful horror/comedy film that's reminiscent of The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers)
  • Child's Play (More well-known as the Chucky movie, it's funny and kinda creepy at times)
  • The Blair Witch Project (Originator of the whole found footage craze, for better or for worse)
  • The Void (A newer sci-fi/horror movie that I really want to love, but it's just too much of a mess. Still worth a watch if you like sci-fi/horror, though)
  • They Live (Sci-fi/horror/action/comedy. What else is there to say?)
1vAtYxM.png
3EXA1Nv.png
i'm going to vouch for The Host, though it's not exactly a horror film. it's a Korean family drama/monster movie and is actually funnier than it is scary. but it's absolutely excellent.

also Eraserhead can be absolutely terrifying. i never finished watching the movie because i couldn't stomach parts of it at the age i watched it.

some of my picks have been said already but i'm gonna say 'em anyway:

Alien (and Aliens which is more of an action movie but still amazing), John Carpenter's The Thing, Poltergeist, Suspiria (haven't seen it in full but man is it a gorgeous movie), Black Swan (more of a drama/suspense movie i'd say but still has some good body horror in it), Cabin in the Woods (horror comedy, satire of the horror genre).

a few movies that aren't really horror but have a spooky aesthetic/horror-esque moments are Crimson Peak (more of a romance but with ghosts, has that gorgeous Guillermo del Toro aesthetic) and Annihilation (weird sci-fi drama/thriller with some genuinely disturbing moments), Let the Right One In (more of a suspense film, but excellent anyway).

and if you're into campy, gory b-movie horror, watch Brain Dead/Dead Alive. one of Peter Jackson's first movies, all around fun zombie flick.

also this video is good if you want some lesser-known horror movies.
i'm going to vouch for The Host, though it's not exactly a horror film. it's a Korean family drama/monster movie and is actually funnier than it is scary. but it's absolutely excellent.

also Eraserhead can be absolutely terrifying. i never finished watching the movie because i couldn't stomach parts of it at the age i watched it.

some of my picks have been said already but i'm gonna say 'em anyway:

Alien (and Aliens which is more of an action movie but still amazing), John Carpenter's The Thing, Poltergeist, Suspiria (haven't seen it in full but man is it a gorgeous movie), Black Swan (more of a drama/suspense movie i'd say but still has some good body horror in it), Cabin in the Woods (horror comedy, satire of the horror genre).

a few movies that aren't really horror but have a spooky aesthetic/horror-esque moments are Crimson Peak (more of a romance but with ghosts, has that gorgeous Guillermo del Toro aesthetic) and Annihilation (weird sci-fi drama/thriller with some genuinely disturbing moments), Let the Right One In (more of a suspense film, but excellent anyway).

and if you're into campy, gory b-movie horror, watch Brain Dead/Dead Alive. one of Peter Jackson's first movies, all around fun zombie flick.

also this video is good if you want some lesser-known horror movies.
If you're into body horror might I suggest Hellraiser? It's a classic, I think. Rather gory though, so if that is not really your thing, you might wanna skip it. I also really liked VVitch or The witch (2016). Perhaps you can throw some Hansel & Gretel witch hunters if you like some fantasy/action. A slightly older movie called The others with Nicole Kidman in it is also pretty darn amazing, I remember. Oh, and El orfanato. The taking of Deborah Logan.
A lot of them were already mentioned and I currently cannot remember others haha.
If you're into body horror might I suggest Hellraiser? It's a classic, I think. Rather gory though, so if that is not really your thing, you might wanna skip it. I also really liked VVitch or The witch (2016). Perhaps you can throw some Hansel & Gretel witch hunters if you like some fantasy/action. A slightly older movie called The others with Nicole Kidman in it is also pretty darn amazing, I remember. Oh, and El orfanato. The taking of Deborah Logan.
A lot of them were already mentioned and I currently cannot remember others haha.
BkLX97a.pngOctopus is welcomeYya65zH.png
The VVitch was a very good movie. A Haunting in Connecticut is also super good, I used to watch that movie obsessively.

If you've just seen The Grudge, and not the Japanese version, I recommend watching that. It's called Ju-on. I watched it when I was 10, while staying over at my Japanese great grandparents house so it kind of added another layer of fear over me (I slept in their praying room that had a huge shrine set up cause I was so scared).
The VVitch was a very good movie. A Haunting in Connecticut is also super good, I used to watch that movie obsessively.

If you've just seen The Grudge, and not the Japanese version, I recommend watching that. It's called Ju-on. I watched it when I was 10, while staying over at my Japanese great grandparents house so it kind of added another layer of fear over me (I slept in their praying room that had a huge shrine set up cause I was so scared).
WYLy2Ui.gif
1 2