Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dragons Of Pern Series
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44 45
@Nightwhisper666 Oh, that’s true. Sorry, that particular tidbit slipped my mind, it’s been awhile since I’ve read these. But again, this was written in a time when simply being a woman was a bad handicap, never mind having different a shade of skin tone or being someone who was viewed as going against the normal order of humanity. After all, we’ve only started making real progress toward accepting same sex relationships in recent years. So I don’t hold it against the books, because I expect it from old works, and the fact that things were different then and now needs to be acknowledged and accepted because we can’t change the past. I’ve heard that later on, the representation gets better, but since I haven’t actually read that far, I did a quick google search to clear up some stuff.

•For context, in the time surrounding the 1960s, homosexuality was very taboo
•early on in the stories, representation was not good, and in an attempt to not risk any specific spoilers, or go beyond the limits of my knowledge, I’ll leave it at this: It was not consentual and was forced.
•later on, it seems the air was cleared a bit, more so in books written and co-written by her son (though im not entirely sure on that last bit because I haven’t read those yet.) and homosexuality was acknowledged, admitted, and made a little more consentual and much less of a violation.
•you will understand why consent will always be a bit lacking in certain instances in these books as you read them. (Other times, it’s just a holdover of sexism.)

As for bland characters, yeah, I suppose they do fit into their grooves? I dunno, bland characters are usually a turn of for me, so if they are lacking in dimension it’s because I get swept in by the world building so much that I just don’t notice. Just give it a read and see what you think.
@Nightwhisper666 Oh, that’s true. Sorry, that particular tidbit slipped my mind, it’s been awhile since I’ve read these. But again, this was written in a time when simply being a woman was a bad handicap, never mind having different a shade of skin tone or being someone who was viewed as going against the normal order of humanity. After all, we’ve only started making real progress toward accepting same sex relationships in recent years. So I don’t hold it against the books, because I expect it from old works, and the fact that things were different then and now needs to be acknowledged and accepted because we can’t change the past. I’ve heard that later on, the representation gets better, but since I haven’t actually read that far, I did a quick google search to clear up some stuff.

•For context, in the time surrounding the 1960s, homosexuality was very taboo
•early on in the stories, representation was not good, and in an attempt to not risk any specific spoilers, or go beyond the limits of my knowledge, I’ll leave it at this: It was not consentual and was forced.
•later on, it seems the air was cleared a bit, more so in books written and co-written by her son (though im not entirely sure on that last bit because I haven’t read those yet.) and homosexuality was acknowledged, admitted, and made a little more consentual and much less of a violation.
•you will understand why consent will always be a bit lacking in certain instances in these books as you read them. (Other times, it’s just a holdover of sexism.)

As for bland characters, yeah, I suppose they do fit into their grooves? I dunno, bland characters are usually a turn of for me, so if they are lacking in dimension it’s because I get swept in by the world building so much that I just don’t notice. Just give it a read and see what you think.
antlers_left_by_broqentoys-dcsi472.png X
Call me Six
Aromantic • Asexual • Agender
they/them
antlers_right_by_broqentoys-dcsi46w.png
@SashaFiredrake

I'm glad the representation gets better. DO we ever get gay POVs? That would be awesome!

I heard that in Dragonflight, F'lar(god these names!) abuses Lessa and even rapes her?

I kinda thought these books were for kids lol...
@SashaFiredrake

I'm glad the representation gets better. DO we ever get gay POVs? That would be awesome!

I heard that in Dragonflight, F'lar(god these names!) abuses Lessa and even rapes her?

I kinda thought these books were for kids lol...
“Gently my mind escapes into the relaxing mode of pleasure.
A pleasure that will take my mind off the reality of life."
--Slipknot
@Nightwhisper Ok, it doesn’t get fantastically better, but it is less horrible. I don’t know if we get POVs, because I haven’t read to the point where it’s admitted and acknowledged yet.

Yes. That is true. There is some context to that, though it’s no excuse, but **** does occur in the books. On multiple occasions. Consent is lacking in these stories. I don’t think most cases are heavily protested, (not that it makes it ok in any sense) though I haven’t read most books (wait, there is one instance in the white dragon and that’s a character who doesn’t really have an excuse and I really don’t like him or that book.) and in most cases both parties are under heavy influence by their dragon’s thoughts.

Ok, up until Harry Potter came out, there really weren’t many books for kids. These are not for kids.
@Nightwhisper Ok, it doesn’t get fantastically better, but it is less horrible. I don’t know if we get POVs, because I haven’t read to the point where it’s admitted and acknowledged yet.

Yes. That is true. There is some context to that, though it’s no excuse, but **** does occur in the books. On multiple occasions. Consent is lacking in these stories. I don’t think most cases are heavily protested, (not that it makes it ok in any sense) though I haven’t read most books (wait, there is one instance in the white dragon and that’s a character who doesn’t really have an excuse and I really don’t like him or that book.) and in most cases both parties are under heavy influence by their dragon’s thoughts.

Ok, up until Harry Potter came out, there really weren’t many books for kids. These are not for kids.
Call me Six
they/them
@SashaFiredrake

How do the dragons bond with their riders so deeply, even though they probably haven't known each other for long after being Impressioned?
@SashaFiredrake

How do the dragons bond with their riders so deeply, even though they probably haven't known each other for long after being Impressioned?
--Slipknot
@Nightwhisper666 ...I imagine Impression and a life time in each other’s heads probably goes a long way. Am I being tested on my understanding of the books? ‘Cause if I am I’m gonna go reread Dragonflight now XD
@Nightwhisper666 ...I imagine Impression and a life time in each other’s heads probably goes a long way. Am I being tested on my understanding of the books? ‘Cause if I am I’m gonna go reread Dragonflight now XD
Call me Six
they/them
@Nightwhisper666 It's a mental bond fomed at hatching lol it just kinda starts off as a deep bond
@Nightwhisper666 It's a mental bond fomed at hatching lol it just kinda starts off as a deep bond
95154e6f88761c97ae7010a4917ba626.gif
@Freydra

Do they ever fight? The dragon and their rider?
@Freydra

Do they ever fight? The dragon and their rider?
--Slipknot
@Nightwhisper666 well I haven't read all of them but there have been time where they dissagree
@Nightwhisper666 well I haven't read all of them but there have been time where they dissagree
95154e6f88761c97ae7010a4917ba626.gif
@Freydra

What trilogy are you on?
@Freydra

What trilogy are you on?
--Slipknot
@SashaFiredrake

Are you actually going to reread it?! Lol, when was the last time you read it?
@SashaFiredrake

Are you actually going to reread it?! Lol, when was the last time you read it?
--Slipknot
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44 45