Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What is your favorite poem?
1 2
Okay. One of my absolute favourite poems is The Lady of Shalott by good ol' Tennyson. I once read it in front of a class I was taking in college and it took like a good 10 minutes (I was def the longest and I am sure my class hated it, lol). I really enjoy the King Arthur and medieval subject matter.

Also up there is Litany in Which Certain Things Are Crossed Out by Richard Siken. It is just a gorgeous poem and really speaks to me.
Okay. One of my absolute favourite poems is The Lady of Shalott by good ol' Tennyson. I once read it in front of a class I was taking in college and it took like a good 10 minutes (I was def the longest and I am sure my class hated it, lol). I really enjoy the King Arthur and medieval subject matter.

Also up there is Litany in Which Certain Things Are Crossed Out by Richard Siken. It is just a gorgeous poem and really speaks to me.
tumblr_pgs06aYS6r1tdg9e1o2_r1_250.pngarcane_space_new_copy_by_cassiopie-dbkaj3c.pngtumblr_pgs06aYS6r1tdg9e1o5_r1_100.png
Quite a few, but right now I'm stuck on 'Wild Geese' by Mary Oliver... the nature imagery in her poems always resonates!
Quote:
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
Quite a few, but right now I'm stuck on 'Wild Geese' by Mary Oliver... the nature imagery in her poems always resonates!
Quote:
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
Pretty much anything by Edgar Allan Poe. I love the themes and his way with words so much. <3 "A Dream Within a Dream", "Alone", and "The Raven" might be my favorites. [quote="Dream Within a Dream"]Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow — You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream. I stand amid the roar Of a surf-tormented shore, And I hold within my hand Grains of the golden sand — How few! yet how they creep Through my fingers to the deep, While I weep — while I weep! O God! Can I not grasp Them with a tighter clasp? O God! can I not save One from the pitiless wave? Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?[/quote]
Pretty much anything by Edgar Allan Poe. I love the themes and his way with words so much. <3 "A Dream Within a Dream", "Alone", and "The Raven" might be my favorites.

Dream Within a Dream wrote:
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow —
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand —
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep — while I weep!
O God! Can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
qYqvSwV.gif
[img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/1cd6/f/2017/363/8/9/roses_are_red_by_girlgamer1001-dby9h6o.png[/img] [s]sorry not sorry[/s]
roses_are_red_by_girlgamer1001-dby9h6o.png
sorry not sorry
VGxuHXT.png
1 2