Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Language-Learning, Exchange & Resources
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35 36
@stormspecter

At the moment I'm using the Daily Lessons from Nihongo Shark // I've subscribed to the Beta, so I have full access to all their JLPT Courses!
My Grammar-skills cover some - but not all - N5 and N4 things, so right now I'm going through N5 thoroughly, to fix what I have missed!
I did use the Genki Textbooks, as well as a German Series which is really great! :D

I think you mentioned books as well, as your main source? :D

But yeah you're right - japanese grammar is indeed a treat!
No singular, no plural.
Objects don't have genders.
Only 2.5~tenses.
No cases.

Comparing it with German or English I really realize how glad I should be that Japanese Grammar is this easy. :'D
I think my fear of grammar stems from studying english though, where i struggled with it greatly - which has lead me to mistakenly believe that I "can't learn any grammar" - which i know isn't true.
...but my brain believes it. :'D""

Finnish from what I hear is really hardcore though ; ____ ; )
Like, damn - I could never do that. ; ___ ; ) All my respect to you!
@stormspecter

At the moment I'm using the Daily Lessons from Nihongo Shark // I've subscribed to the Beta, so I have full access to all their JLPT Courses!
My Grammar-skills cover some - but not all - N5 and N4 things, so right now I'm going through N5 thoroughly, to fix what I have missed!
I did use the Genki Textbooks, as well as a German Series which is really great! :D

I think you mentioned books as well, as your main source? :D

But yeah you're right - japanese grammar is indeed a treat!
No singular, no plural.
Objects don't have genders.
Only 2.5~tenses.
No cases.

Comparing it with German or English I really realize how glad I should be that Japanese Grammar is this easy. :'D
I think my fear of grammar stems from studying english though, where i struggled with it greatly - which has lead me to mistakenly believe that I "can't learn any grammar" - which i know isn't true.
...but my brain believes it. :'D""

Finnish from what I hear is really hardcore though ; ____ ; )
Like, damn - I could never do that. ; ___ ; ) All my respect to you!
fr_hatchery_button_small_by_naahva-dch05rf.png
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
[ Language Learning Hub ]
naturef1.png
@Naahva
ooh okay! well good luck with your learning!
oh actually, i haven't had any Japanese textbooks sadly! I've learned almost everything I know from pretty much all over the internet and through random media exposure, my main sources of grammar have mostly come from things like tae kim's guide to japanese, japaneseammo's lovely videos, and a bunch of other helpful things i can't remember lol. i'd love some novels/stories written in japanese though

I know right?? English grammar is really messed up lmao. i know how you feel but for sure you can learn grammar! screw that belief, your English is terrific! and i'm sure your Japanese can be just as good! :-)

hhh thank you!! I used to think the same--like, that finnish was too hard and i'd never be able to learn it thanks to all those 16 cases, so i avoided it for a while. but I just loved it too much, felt too comfortable with it and so I just decided I'd give it a try. turns out it isn't the cases that are that hard for me, it's the consonant gradation :p it's really confusing and exhausting but i think i've made a lot of progress! I'm sure you could do it as well if you wanted to!
(fun fact: your username actually sounds really Finnish to me!)
@Naahva
ooh okay! well good luck with your learning!
oh actually, i haven't had any Japanese textbooks sadly! I've learned almost everything I know from pretty much all over the internet and through random media exposure, my main sources of grammar have mostly come from things like tae kim's guide to japanese, japaneseammo's lovely videos, and a bunch of other helpful things i can't remember lol. i'd love some novels/stories written in japanese though

I know right?? English grammar is really messed up lmao. i know how you feel but for sure you can learn grammar! screw that belief, your English is terrific! and i'm sure your Japanese can be just as good! :-)

hhh thank you!! I used to think the same--like, that finnish was too hard and i'd never be able to learn it thanks to all those 16 cases, so i avoided it for a while. but I just loved it too much, felt too comfortable with it and so I just decided I'd give it a try. turns out it isn't the cases that are that hard for me, it's the consonant gradation :p it's really confusing and exhausting but i think i've made a lot of progress! I'm sure you could do it as well if you wanted to!
(fun fact: your username actually sounds really Finnish to me!)
sEBxtxA.png thDLJf3.png eGiN2Xv.png
@stormspecter

Omg I love Tae Kim's Guide - it has helped me so much, hahhaha!
(In case you are interested in books - there are some links to book pdfs in the Resource post :D)
If you say novels or stories... this might help!
ChokoChoko LIbrary was a big archive with stories of various length and difficulty - with japanese-students as target-group, thus most specific vocab for said story is included and explained at the bottom of each story!
The Site itself is kinda down - but people on reddit saved the story PDFs!
About stories and novels... if you don't mind stuff which takes 15 minutes to set up - you can create a japanese amazon account!
Then, download a kindle reader app for your computer / phone (or perhaps you got a kindle?) - and e voila! You'll be able to download excerpts from various books and novels of all sizes for free!
The excerpts are of a decent size - and absolutely enough to judge whether you're already able to read this, or not!
And if you find yourself interested and able to read and understand this.... the books never cost that much, since they're all e-books :D
I think 400 Yen, roughly? Which is really nothing, haha!
Even if you don't end up buying anything - you ll have a limitless amount of free excerpts available at your feet! : D
Some more kindle reddit magic here . w.)
Hope this helps!
((And if you google "free japanese reading practice" you might be able to find some raw manga, or pdfs of other books and stories! Fortunately, there's really a ton of resources on the internet for japanese. :'D )

I hope so!
I'm the kinda guy who has a hard time 'understanding' grammar to a deeper extent - but if I'm just exposed to grammar in correct use often enough, i get used to - and learn from that :'D
So... MORE JAPANESE EXPOSURE, I NEED--- :'D""""

16 cases still sounds savage to me - like German and it's 4 cases can sometimes be tricky even for native speakers, hahahahha!
I'm glad they're not giving you such a hard time ; w ; )
(Omg this is super cool hahahhaha! I love language trivia like this :'D)
@stormspecter

Omg I love Tae Kim's Guide - it has helped me so much, hahhaha!
(In case you are interested in books - there are some links to book pdfs in the Resource post :D)
If you say novels or stories... this might help!
ChokoChoko LIbrary was a big archive with stories of various length and difficulty - with japanese-students as target-group, thus most specific vocab for said story is included and explained at the bottom of each story!
The Site itself is kinda down - but people on reddit saved the story PDFs!
About stories and novels... if you don't mind stuff which takes 15 minutes to set up - you can create a japanese amazon account!
Then, download a kindle reader app for your computer / phone (or perhaps you got a kindle?) - and e voila! You'll be able to download excerpts from various books and novels of all sizes for free!
The excerpts are of a decent size - and absolutely enough to judge whether you're already able to read this, or not!
And if you find yourself interested and able to read and understand this.... the books never cost that much, since they're all e-books :D
I think 400 Yen, roughly? Which is really nothing, haha!
Even if you don't end up buying anything - you ll have a limitless amount of free excerpts available at your feet! : D
Some more kindle reddit magic here . w.)
Hope this helps!
((And if you google "free japanese reading practice" you might be able to find some raw manga, or pdfs of other books and stories! Fortunately, there's really a ton of resources on the internet for japanese. :'D )

I hope so!
I'm the kinda guy who has a hard time 'understanding' grammar to a deeper extent - but if I'm just exposed to grammar in correct use often enough, i get used to - and learn from that :'D
So... MORE JAPANESE EXPOSURE, I NEED--- :'D""""

16 cases still sounds savage to me - like German and it's 4 cases can sometimes be tricky even for native speakers, hahahahha!
I'm glad they're not giving you such a hard time ; w ; )
(Omg this is super cool hahahhaha! I love language trivia like this :'D)
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
naturef1.png
Hey guys, if anyone needs help with Japanese grammar, vocabulary, or kanji, Genki has a series of quizzes/practices that follows the curriculum of their books and also provides you with handy cheat sheets for the rules of each lesson (you can find these by clicking the "Rule" button at the bottom of each grammar practice.) You can go here to check it out. Note that you do have to have hiragana/katakana enabled on your device to be able to use it, but it's very helpful!
Hey guys, if anyone needs help with Japanese grammar, vocabulary, or kanji, Genki has a series of quizzes/practices that follows the curriculum of their books and also provides you with handy cheat sheets for the rules of each lesson (you can find these by clicking the "Rule" button at the bottom of each grammar practice.) You can go here to check it out. Note that you do have to have hiragana/katakana enabled on your device to be able to use it, but it's very helpful!
XvmXrsO.gif
@strifing

Omg that's super handy! Thanks for sharing - I'll include it in the Japanese Resource Post! :D

(Oh also, while we're at it... do you want to be added to the Ping-list Squad Post for Japanese? Ping-List Squads are meant to be able to ping all people (who want to be pinged) when adressing something vital to said language :D
Something like this neat thing you shared here, for example!)
@strifing

Omg that's super handy! Thanks for sharing - I'll include it in the Japanese Resource Post! :D

(Oh also, while we're at it... do you want to be added to the Ping-list Squad Post for Japanese? Ping-List Squads are meant to be able to ping all people (who want to be pinged) when adressing something vital to said language :D
Something like this neat thing you shared here, for example!)
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
naturef1.png
[center] [img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/f48d4427337475c93793b461c3397afc/tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png[/img] [size=4]Hello everyone! Sorry for pinging you all, but I got neat news! [b](. w.)[/b] [/center] [size=2] ((((Everyone pinged in here has commented on this Thread in the Past, so I figured you'd be down for updates and that cool stuff! - my apologies if you don't like the ping [b]; _ ; )[/b] )))) [/size] [center]There are[b] 2 major changes[/b] to this hub which i just had to share, because I spent hours working on them yesterday! ( . w. ) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12098492] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/120985/12098492_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/f48d4427337475c93793b461c3397afc/tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png[/img][/center] [center][size=5] [b]The[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gend/2441291/1#post_33267618] Resource post[/url] is massive and continues growing![/b] [/size] [/center] [size=4] The links all lead to [b]Masterposts[/b] which were written by students of said language, meaning they were written by ‚[i]experts[/i]‘ of studying these languages! These Masterposts have a much higher quality in both context and structure, than I could ever archive, since I only know my stuff when it gets to Japanese. This in return leaves me with more time to gather more Masterposts, so we grow in diversity in content! If you’re still interested in your Target Language, [b]I absolutely recommend[/b] checking them out! THere’s so many Resources and Guides and valuable Tips - it’s a language-learning Gold Mine ; w; [b]Especially if your TL is not listed[/b] - [b]absolutely[/b] check out the [i]„Many more[/i]“ section! There were so many posts for other languages, I didn’t have the time to copy and paste them all [b]yet[/b]! Thus I absolutely recommend checking - I am pretty certain everyone will find something useful in there! :D Many of you voiced interested in a specific language - but said you had [b]no idea where to start![/b] These Posts absolutely have you covered - they take you by the hand and lead you down that sweet, sweet Language Road! [b]( . w.)[/b] [center][img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/f48d4427337475c93793b461c3397afc/tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png[/img][/center] [center] [size=5] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gend/2441291/1#post_33267620]Ping-List Squads[/url] [/size][/center] [size=4] The 2nd news is a new Function I introduced yesterday, which I call „Pinglist-Squads“ The goal is to have people [i](of course only if they want to)[/i] organized in [b]Ping-Lists for each language [/b]- and with how they judge their abilities! If you want to share a something neat - be it a website / book / experience, or a meme - or if you have a question… you can just ping all the people from the Squad of your Language! I’ve read through your all introduction posts and have put down the level I think you were implying - but some posts were a little ambiguous! Please, correct me if I’m wrong! [b][u]Don’t hesitate to ping me if:[/u][/b] - you dont want to appear on the PingList Squad - I’ve put down the wrong level for you - Your target languages have changed - You don’t deem one of these languages important enough to be listed as part of said squad [u][b]The tiers would be:[/b][/u] [i]Interested - Newbie - Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced - Semi-Fluent - Fluent - Native Speaker[/i] (((I don’t necessarily mean to put native speakers on a higher pedestal than people who are fluent - but there is so many cultural differences and geographical differences in languages, where sometimes you might want a native speaker to chime in, on very specific stuff! :D ) ----- ----- Below is what I gathered from your introduction posts! Some weren't completely clear at what level you rank yourself - I did my best reading between the lines, but some of my judgement is probably very far off! Again, don't hesitate to correct me, or let me know if you don't want to be listed! I will start editing the Squad Post and adding your names for now - but corrections can be made any time! [/size] @PixelSpiral Russian (Native) Esperanto (Beginner) @Coakes13 Spanish (Advanced) @Hypercoaster Spanish (Fluent) @MountainMouse Spanish (Beginner) @jungkook Korean (Beginner) - or would you prefer Intermediate? :D @Riptide1st Arabic (Native) Chinese (Newbie) @Nicolas Spanish (Newbie) @gumiho Korean (Beginner) - or would you prefer Intermediate? . w.) @Amorah Japanese (Intermediate) @Yukhei Mandarin (Beginner) Korean (Beginner) @Katargo German (Native) Russian (Interested) Chinese (Interested) @RabidWhovian German (Intermediate) Spanish (Interested) Russian (Interested) Hawaiian (Interested) Swahili (Interested) @Yokudl If you want to appear in the Ping-List Squad Posts, please use the scale above to rank yourself, if you can! : 3 Also, do you want all of these languages to be listed, or are there languages you say you aren’t interested in enough, in order to be listed? : 3 Russian (???) Icelandic (????) Latin (???) German (???) Proto-Germanic (???) Anglo-Saxon (???) Greek (???) Japanese (???) @asianbirb Mandarin (Semi-Fluent) Japanese (Beginner) French (Intermediate) @Vipera Teochew (Semi-Fluent??? ; w ; ) Spanish (Intermediate) Mandarin (Intermediate) @monkfishlover German (interested) Japanese (Interested) Italian (Interested) French (Interested) @Dinero Spanish (Beginner) @bashfulbat Spanish (Beginner), ASL (Beginner) @Kura3 Portuguese (Native) French (Fluent) Japanese (Beginner) @Lumipallo16 Finnish (Native) Swedish (Semi-Fluent? Fluent? Native?) Icelandic (interested) Estonian (Interested) @Rivix Dutch (Beginner) @strifing Japanese (Intermediate) @Arupocalypse German (Beginner) Japanese (Beginner) Ukrainian (Interested) Hungarian (Interested) @dragonscales232 Punjabi (Beginner) @setonix Chinese / Mandarin (Fluent) Dutch (Intermediate) - or would you prefer advanced? :3 @karategirl99 Welsh (Semi-Fluent) Russian (Beginner) Italian (Beginner) Japanese (Beginner) Greek (Interested) [img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/f48d4427337475c93793b461c3397afc/tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png[/img] [center][b]Thanks for your attention![/b] ...oh and if there's someone who enjoys [b]BBcoding[/b] and making visually beautiful posts.... The Main-Posts really need some [b]editing[/b] - I am absolutely terrible at this ;; So if there's anyone who might be interested in lending a hand - making it all more visually appealing... I'd be very delighted [b]; _ ;[/b] [/center]
tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png

Hello everyone!
Sorry for pinging you all, but I got neat news! (. w.)

((((Everyone pinged in here has commented on this Thread in the Past, so I figured you'd be down for updates and that cool stuff! - my apologies if you don't like the ping ; _ ; ) ))))

There are 2 major changes to this hub which i just had to share, because I spent hours working on them yesterday! ( . w. )

12098492_350.png

The Resource post is massive and continues growing!

The links all lead to Masterposts which were written by students of said language, meaning they were written by ‚experts‘ of studying these languages!
These Masterposts have a much higher quality in both context and structure, than I could ever archive, since I only know my stuff when it gets to Japanese.
This in return leaves me with more time to gather more Masterposts, so we grow in diversity in content!

If you’re still interested in your Target Language, I absolutely recommend checking them out!
THere’s so many Resources and Guides and valuable Tips - it’s a language-learning Gold Mine ; w;

Especially if your TL is not listed - absolutely check out the „Many more“ section!
There were so many posts for other languages, I didn’t have the time to copy and paste them all yet!
Thus I absolutely recommend checking - I am pretty certain everyone will find something useful in there! :D

Many of you voiced interested in a specific language - but said you had no idea where to start!
These Posts absolutely have you covered - they take you by the hand and lead you down that sweet, sweet Language Road! ( . w.)

The 2nd news is a new Function I introduced yesterday, which I call „Pinglist-Squads“
The goal is to have people (of course only if they want to) organized in Ping-Lists for each language - and with how they judge their abilities!

If you want to share a something neat - be it a website / book / experience, or a meme - or if you have a question… you can just ping all the people from the Squad of your Language!

I’ve read through your all introduction posts and have put down the level I think you were implying - but some posts were a little ambiguous! Please, correct me if I’m wrong!

Don’t hesitate to ping me if:
- you dont want to appear on the PingList Squad
- I’ve put down the wrong level for you
- Your target languages have changed
- You don’t deem one of these languages important enough to be listed as part of said squad

The tiers would be:

Interested - Newbie - Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced - Semi-Fluent - Fluent - Native Speaker

(((I don’t necessarily mean to put native speakers on a higher pedestal than people who are fluent - but there is so many cultural differences and geographical differences in languages, where sometimes you might want a native speaker to chime in, on very specific stuff! :D )

Below is what I gathered from your introduction posts!
Some weren't completely clear at what level you rank yourself - I did my best reading between the lines, but some of my judgement is probably very far off!
Again, don't hesitate to correct me, or let me know if you don't want to be listed!

I will start editing the Squad Post and adding your names for now - but corrections can be made any time!

@PixelSpiral
Russian (Native)
Esperanto (Beginner)

@Coakes13
Spanish (Advanced)

@Hypercoaster
Spanish (Fluent)

@MountainMouse
Spanish (Beginner)

@jungkook
Korean (Beginner) - or would you prefer Intermediate? :D

@Riptide1st
Arabic (Native)
Chinese (Newbie)

@Nicolas
Spanish (Newbie)

@gumiho
Korean (Beginner) - or would you prefer Intermediate? . w.)

@Amorah
Japanese (Intermediate)

@Yukhei
Mandarin (Beginner)
Korean (Beginner)

@Katargo
German (Native)
Russian (Interested)
Chinese (Interested)

@RabidWhovian
German (Intermediate)
Spanish (Interested)
Russian (Interested)
Hawaiian (Interested)
Swahili (Interested)

@Yokudl
If you want to appear in the Ping-List Squad Posts, please use the scale above to rank yourself, if you can! : 3
Also, do you want all of these languages to be listed, or are there languages you say you aren’t interested in enough, in order to be listed? : 3
Russian (???)
Icelandic (????)
Latin (???)
German (???)
Proto-Germanic (???)
Anglo-Saxon (???)
Greek (???)
Japanese (???)

@asianbirb
Mandarin (Semi-Fluent)
Japanese (Beginner)
French (Intermediate)

@Vipera
Teochew (Semi-Fluent??? ; w ; )
Spanish (Intermediate)
Mandarin (Intermediate)

@monkfishlover
German (interested)
Japanese (Interested)
Italian (Interested)
French (Interested)

@Dinero
Spanish (Beginner)

@bashfulbat
Spanish (Beginner),
ASL (Beginner)

@Kura3
Portuguese (Native)
French (Fluent)
Japanese (Beginner)

@Lumipallo16
Finnish (Native)
Swedish (Semi-Fluent? Fluent? Native?)
Icelandic (interested)
Estonian (Interested)

@Rivix
Dutch (Beginner)

@strifing
Japanese (Intermediate)

@Arupocalypse
German (Beginner)
Japanese (Beginner)
Ukrainian (Interested)
Hungarian (Interested)

@dragonscales232
Punjabi (Beginner)

@setonix
Chinese / Mandarin (Fluent)
Dutch (Intermediate) - or would you prefer advanced? :3

@karategirl99
Welsh (Semi-Fluent)
Russian (Beginner)
Italian (Beginner)
Japanese (Beginner)
Greek (Interested)

Thanks for your attention!

...oh and if there's someone who enjoys BBcoding and making visually beautiful posts....
The Main-Posts really need some editing - I am absolutely terrible at this ;;
So if there's anyone who might be interested in lending a hand - making it all more visually appealing... I'd be very delighted ; _ ;
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
naturef1.png
Yeah, that looks right to me :)

Sorry if my introduction post caused you any problems...
Yeah, that looks right to me :)

Sorry if my introduction post caused you any problems...
Loving life and loving food :p

FR +8 hours.

My favourite genres to roleplay in right now are Action, Fantasy and Supernatural. If you would like to roleplay with me, please feel free to either inbox message me or post a comment on my profile :)
@KarateGirl99

No problem at all!
Since I literally came up with this idea and system yesterday, there was no way either of us could've known these tiers would become useful one day! ^^)/
@KarateGirl99

No problem at all!
Since I literally came up with this idea and system yesterday, there was no way either of us could've known these tiers would become useful one day! ^^)/
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
naturef1.png
@Naahva

Do we actually have any Welsh resources available, or should I get my butt onto Google and see what I can find?
@Naahva

Do we actually have any Welsh resources available, or should I get my butt onto Google and see what I can find?
Loving life and loving food :p

FR +8 hours.

My favourite genres to roleplay in right now are Action, Fantasy and Supernatural. If you would like to roleplay with me, please feel free to either inbox message me or post a comment on my profile :)
@KarateGirl99

In the Resource Post, below "all Languages" there is a Section titled "Many More"

There are 2 massive Posts which list so many resources... I legit couldn't copy them all.
I am very certain i ve seen welsh listed! : B

((But consultatiing google is never bad. There is so much good stuff on Tumblr alone - i cant even imagine how many neat resources google must reveal!)

Edit: added 2 things on the post itself
This is one of the Masterposts I could find, which include some stuff for Welsh!
The other link on the Resource Post leads to a dropbox with some files!
https://dedalvs.tumblr.com/post/136845719337/language-resources-masterpost
@KarateGirl99

In the Resource Post, below "all Languages" there is a Section titled "Many More"

There are 2 massive Posts which list so many resources... I legit couldn't copy them all.
I am very certain i ve seen welsh listed! : B

((But consultatiing google is never bad. There is so much good stuff on Tumblr alone - i cant even imagine how many neat resources google must reveal!)

Edit: added 2 things on the post itself
This is one of the Masterposts I could find, which include some stuff for Welsh!
The other link on the Resource Post leads to a dropbox with some files!
https://dedalvs.tumblr.com/post/136845719337/language-resources-masterpost
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
naturef1.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35 36