Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | ~♦Daily Spaceflight Images♦~
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16
[b]Day 32: 10 February 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276515100465299456/412136916939440138/unknown.png[/img] The Space Shuttle Endeavour orbiter photographed from the ISS. I dunno, it's late and I'm in a sappy mood, but this picture makes me so emotional. It's on display when you walk in to see the Endeavour orbiter and it always strikes me every time. It's such a calming photo, first of all. The firey reds and blues are just so stunning from every angle. It's such a humble reminder that no matter how powerful any launch vehicle looks, the natural universe around us is always infinitely more so, and so much more beautiful and gigantic. It's humbling. But seeing this much beauty is such a stunning reminder of [i]why[/i] we're exploring the way we are. I'm not religious, but when I see photos like this, it always reminds me why going to space strengthens the faith of any religious astronaut I've ever listened to. It's because the universe might be massive and enormous and uncaring, but it's also so, so gorgeous, in such a humbling, passive way. It's impossible, I think, to see something like this, and to not have some sort of numinous experience, when you just sit back for a moment and watch and experience the world around you, and all you can feel is thankful that the universe aligned in such a way just once, and that you were fortunate enough to witness it, too stunned to ask why. And every time a sight like this is gazed upon by human eyes, it enriches the consciousness of our species and deepens our tiny place in the universe just a little bit more. We might be but a flea on the back of a lion, but we might as well appreciate how gorgeous that lion can be.
Day 32: 10 February 2018

@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour

unknown.png

The Space Shuttle Endeavour orbiter photographed from the ISS.

I dunno, it's late and I'm in a sappy mood, but this picture makes me so emotional. It's on display when you walk in to see the Endeavour orbiter and it always strikes me every time. It's such a calming photo, first of all. The firey reds and blues are just so stunning from every angle. It's such a humble reminder that no matter how powerful any launch vehicle looks, the natural universe around us is always infinitely more so, and so much more beautiful and gigantic. It's humbling.

But seeing this much beauty is such a stunning reminder of why we're exploring the way we are. I'm not religious, but when I see photos like this, it always reminds me why going to space strengthens the faith of any religious astronaut I've ever listened to. It's because the universe might be massive and enormous and uncaring, but it's also so, so gorgeous, in such a humbling, passive way. It's impossible, I think, to see something like this, and to not have some sort of numinous experience, when you just sit back for a moment and watch and experience the world around you, and all you can feel is thankful that the universe aligned in such a way just once, and that you were fortunate enough to witness it, too stunned to ask why. And every time a sight like this is gazed upon by human eyes, it enriches the consciousness of our species and deepens our tiny place in the universe just a little bit more.

We might be but a flea on the back of a lion, but we might as well appreciate how gorgeous that lion can be.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
@GuidanceOfficer could I please be added to the pinglist? 'v'
@GuidanceOfficer could I please be added to the pinglist? 'v'
PXC8hgn.png
@GuidanceOfficer

That’s a very nice, calming photo of space shuttle Endeavour! And what you said about it, is beautiful. Space is enormous, and we have explored so little of it.
@GuidanceOfficer

That’s a very nice, calming photo of space shuttle Endeavour! And what you said about it, is beautiful. Space is enormous, and we have explored so little of it.
tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif
Wishlist
She/Her
FRT+9
@GuidanceOfficer it would just make my day if i could be added to the pinglist
@GuidanceOfficer it would just make my day if i could be added to the pinglist
nonbinary-asexual-splotch2-jeu-de-cartes2.png
@GuidanceOfficer if there's a pinglist i need to be on it asap. this is the best thread bless
@GuidanceOfficer if there's a pinglist i need to be on it asap. this is the best thread bless
ohQY5qq.gif
[b]Day 33: 11 February 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist [img]https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17pan1174743.jpg[/img] Today's image is a panorama taken by Jack Schmitt during Apollo 17. The panorama was taken during the start of EVA-1. Commander Gene Cernan isn't visible because he's powering up the rover behind the LM. During EVA-1, Gene and Jack deployed the American flag and TV camera, as well as the Lunar Surface Cosmic Ray Experiment, which remained outside the LM until the end of the third and final EVA-3. They also deployed the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Package (ALSEP) and a bunch of explosive devices to measure the chemical composition of various points around the ALSEP site. (These weren't detonated until they left.) They also traveled to Steno Crater, where they collected geologic samples. This image was accessed from the [url=https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/images17.html]Apollo 17 Image Library[/url]. The full resolution of this image is [url=https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17pan1174743.jpg]here[/url].
Day 33: 11 February 2018

@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist

a17pan1174743.jpg

Today's image is a panorama taken by Jack Schmitt during Apollo 17. The panorama was taken during the start of EVA-1. Commander Gene Cernan isn't visible because he's powering up the rover behind the LM.

During EVA-1, Gene and Jack deployed the American flag and TV camera, as well as the Lunar Surface Cosmic Ray Experiment, which remained outside the LM until the end of the third and final EVA-3. They also deployed the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Package (ALSEP) and a bunch of explosive devices to measure the chemical composition of various points around the ALSEP site. (These weren't detonated until they left.)

They also traveled to Steno Crater, where they collected geologic samples.

This image was accessed from the Apollo 17 Image Library. The full resolution of this image is here.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
[b]Day 34: 12 February 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276515100465299456/412857176491687936/View_out_the_LMPs_window_during_lift-off_apollo_14.jpg[/img] The view out of the LM pilot's window during the liftoff of Apollo 14 from the surface of the Moon. I'm super exhausted, so no big explanation tonight, sorry guys. Hope you enjoy the picture though!
Day 34: 12 February 2018

@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist

View_out_the_LMPs_window_during_lift-off_apollo_14.jpg

The view out of the LM pilot's window during the liftoff of Apollo 14 from the surface of the Moon.

I'm super exhausted, so no big explanation tonight, sorry guys. Hope you enjoy the picture though!
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
[b]Day 35: 13 February 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/6b8803c80e966d4be414532cd14cedf2/tumblr_oue3jry02P1wu1xspo1_400.jpg[/img] Frank Borman in preparation for Gemini 7. So... Gemini 7 was... It was an interesting flight. There were some highlights, but overall it wasn't all that pleasant. For one thing, Frank wasn't allowed to take off his suit for a few days. That suit got REALLY uncomfortable. The last 3 days of the mission were pretty boring, too; they spent most of their time reading and discovering things going wrong with the spacecraft, which is always fun. The planned rendezvous with Gemini 6A went well, though; the two spacecraft got pretty close, barely a foot apart. Hope you're all having/have had a good day!
Day 35: 13 February 2018

tumblr_oue3jry02P1wu1xspo1_400.jpg

Frank Borman in preparation for Gemini 7.

So... Gemini 7 was... It was an interesting flight. There were some highlights, but overall it wasn't all that pleasant.

For one thing, Frank wasn't allowed to take off his suit for a few days. That suit got REALLY uncomfortable. The last 3 days of the mission were pretty boring, too; they spent most of their time reading and discovering things going wrong with the spacecraft, which is always fun.

The planned rendezvous with Gemini 6A went well, though; the two spacecraft got pretty close, barely a foot apart.

Hope you're all having/have had a good day!
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
@GuidanceOfficer
may i be added to the pinglist? this stuff is really cool! :0
@GuidanceOfficer
may i be added to the pinglist? this stuff is really cool! :0
(f)art shoppe
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
[b]Day 36: 14 February 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist @dragonscales232 [center][img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/0571c412efea35c541a8509a5df2cb89/tumblr_oo69dgKoRn1w6s8g7o1_400.gif[/img][/center] Remember how I mentioned Gemini 7 yesterday? Well, immediately following the mission, Frank Borman and Jim Lovell jokingly announced their engagement. I mean... I'm pretty sure they were both married already, so it was 100% a joke, but friends that ride together in a spacecraft that small and come out still friends probably have a stronger friendship than most people I know in relationships, so I'm honoring Jim and Frank's not-marriage it for Valentine's Day. Hope you all had a good day (and I hope you get a chance to nab some of the candy once it's on sale if that's a thing where you are!)
Day 36: 14 February 2018

@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay @SpottedSorex @OMGAKITTEN @NoDragonHere @TeenyTinyDragon @TheEngineer @clockworkEntity @Endeavour @Sciencin @MarshmallowMatey @Afflatedartist @dragonscales232
tumblr_oo69dgKoRn1w6s8g7o1_400.gif

Remember how I mentioned Gemini 7 yesterday? Well, immediately following the mission, Frank Borman and Jim Lovell jokingly announced their engagement. I mean... I'm pretty sure they were both married already, so it was 100% a joke, but friends that ride together in a spacecraft that small and come out still friends probably have a stronger friendship than most people I know in relationships, so I'm honoring Jim and Frank's not-marriage it for Valentine's Day.

Hope you all had a good day (and I hope you get a chance to nab some of the candy once it's on sale if that's a thing where you are!)
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16