Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | ~♦Daily Spaceflight Images♦~
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
historic irony?

please never shut up about Apollo 13, i'm always here for Apollo 13
historic irony?

please never shut up about Apollo 13, i'm always here for Apollo 13
MuAIaYM.pngfMJGS3M.png
@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 Hey, sorry for no post yesterday! Fridays are really busy for me because of my job at the museum; I didn't make it home until around rollover because I was working the telescope deck. To make up for it, I'll post two days' worth of images. [b]Day 10: 19 January 2018[/b] [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276515100465299456/404477308687351809/earth_apollo_17.jpg[/img][/center] This image of the Earth was taken during Apollo 17, I believe during transearth coast (the period when the astronauts are returning to Earth). Apollo 17 was the final Apollo mission, so it's with a heavy heart that I admit that I don't think humans have been quite this far from Earth since. (I know you can see all of Earth in your view from where Hubble is, but I'm pretty sure this was taken a lot more than that far out). Apollo 17 is one of my favorite missions. I don't really have much of a rational reason why it's so close to my heart. I think my favorite thing is how enthusiastic Ron Evans is throughout the entire thing. You can hear him in the launch laughing so much Gene Cernan has to essentially tell him to calm down and remind him there's more stuff to do. Him laughing and exclaiming "This is what it means to be a spaceman!" during the last transearth EVA? Yeah. You bet your rear end I was crying listening to the audio of that mission. If you guys get a chance next year, I highly recommend listening in to the mission live as it was in 1972 on apollo17.com . It really makes the audio and the mission come to life. [b]Day 11: 20 January 2018[/b] Guess whose birthday it is? That's right: Buzz Aldrin's! [center][img]https://i1.wp.com/www.rocketstem.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AS11-0066-S68-40395-5.6.68.jpg[/img][/center] Buzz Aldrin, best known for being the LM pilot of Apollo 11, turns 88 today! He was born on January 20, 1930. He was selected as part of NASA's third group of astronauts and flew onboard Gemini 12, the last Gemini flight, where he set a record for EVA time. These days, Buzz is a pretty big advocate for getting out to Mars.
@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64

Hey, sorry for no post yesterday! Fridays are really busy for me because of my job at the museum; I didn't make it home until around rollover because I was working the telescope deck. To make up for it, I'll post two days' worth of images.

Day 10: 19 January 2018
earth_apollo_17.jpg

This image of the Earth was taken during Apollo 17, I believe during transearth coast (the period when the astronauts are returning to Earth). Apollo 17 was the final Apollo mission, so it's with a heavy heart that I admit that I don't think humans have been quite this far from Earth since. (I know you can see all of Earth in your view from where Hubble is, but I'm pretty sure this was taken a lot more than that far out).

Apollo 17 is one of my favorite missions. I don't really have much of a rational reason why it's so close to my heart. I think my favorite thing is how enthusiastic Ron Evans is throughout the entire thing. You can hear him in the launch laughing so much Gene Cernan has to essentially tell him to calm down and remind him there's more stuff to do. Him laughing and exclaiming "This is what it means to be a spaceman!" during the last transearth EVA? Yeah. You bet your rear end I was crying listening to the audio of that mission.

If you guys get a chance next year, I highly recommend listening in to the mission live as it was in 1972 on apollo17.com . It really makes the audio and the mission come to life.

Day 11: 20 January 2018

Guess whose birthday it is? That's right: Buzz Aldrin's!
AS11-0066-S68-40395-5.6.68.jpg

Buzz Aldrin, best known for being the LM pilot of Apollo 11, turns 88 today! He was born on January 20, 1930. He was selected as part of NASA's third group of astronauts and flew onboard Gemini 12, the last Gemini flight, where he set a record for EVA time. These days, Buzz is a pretty big advocate for getting out to Mars.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
@violalore
Oh, oh! Add me to the pinglist please?
@violalore
Oh, oh! Add me to the pinglist please?
@RainbowRay of course! :)
@RainbowRay of course! :)
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
@violalore

Thanks again for starting up such a wonderful thread! I've greatly enjoyed every post so far.

Also, definitely jealous of your job! That sounds like such a fun position. I'd love to work at a museum or planetarium at some point in my life.
@violalore

Thanks again for starting up such a wonderful thread! I've greatly enjoyed every post so far.

Also, definitely jealous of your job! That sounds like such a fun position. I'd love to work at a museum or planetarium at some point in my life.
[b]Day 12: 21 January 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 Today's image is brought to you via my friend Emily on Tumblr; her url is [url=https://gusgrissom.tumblr.com/post/169975742413/neil-armstrong-playing-ukulele-in-quarantine-after]gusgrissom[/url]. Other people have reposted her stuff in the past without crediting her, so I'm just gonna not be a jerk and even give her a shoutout. Go check her blog out! [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/e2a40fad2c4021088ba4771725b9b8c1/tumblr_p2xg6h6bsR1w6s8g7o2_540.jpg[/img] Here's Neil Armstrong playing ukelele in quarantine after returning from Apollo 11, sometime after splashdown. He was a cute boy, that's all I have to say.
Day 12: 21 January 2018

@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64

Today's image is brought to you via my friend Emily on Tumblr; her url is gusgrissom. Other people have reposted her stuff in the past without crediting her, so I'm just gonna not be a jerk and even give her a shoutout. Go check her blog out!

tumblr_p2xg6h6bsR1w6s8g7o2_540.jpg

Here's Neil Armstrong playing ukelele in quarantine after returning from Apollo 11, sometime after splashdown.

He was a cute boy, that's all I have to say.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
That is a great picture, thank you Violalore and thank you Emily!
That is a great picture, thank you Violalore and thank you Emily!
eLAndXa.png FooterAds.gif
Gary was here, Ash is a loser
2OTuj7X.png I hoard black orpingtons and black-capped chickadees!
[b]Day 13: 22 January 2018[/b] @VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/S-IC_engines_and_Von_Braun.jpg[/img] Rocket scientist Wernher Von Braun standing next to the business end of the first stage of a Saturn V. The Saturn V, as I'm sure we all know, was an incredibly powerful rocket; in fact, it's the tallest and most powerful rocket launched successfully to date. The first stage, the S-IC, was 42 meters tall and 36 meters wide. It provided thrust through five Rocketdyne F-1 engines arranged in an X formation, as you can see in this picture. The four side rockets could rotate together on what I'm pretty sure is kinda a massive gimbal; the fifth was held in position pointed straight down. Ignition occurred 8.9 seconds before liftoff. (I'm pretty sure this is so they could make sure the thing is reaching a healthy amount of thrust. That's how Shuttle launches worked, at least.) Under normal conditions, the stage would burn for 168 seconds before cutoff. The center engine cut off 26 seconds before the others; if this didn't occur, the vehicle would accelerate unsafely, and the astronauts would feel dangerous amounts of G-force, possibly knocking them out, and this isn't The Martian; they need to fly their rocket! At cutoff, they were travelling 2300 meters per second, and they were at a position of about 67 km in altitude, and 93km downrange. Wernher Von Braun was the mastermind behind the Saturn V. Before working in America, he worked with missiles in Nazi Germany during WWII. When it became clear that the Nazis were losing, he and his team called a secret meeting and chose to surrender and defect to the United States. Their reason? They were tired of totalitarianism. The US didn't trust their team with rockets very much at all, though Wernher wanted desparately to mess around with them enough to put something in orbit. It was the launch of Sputnik 1 that convinced the US that they needed a team of rocket scientists on their side. Funnily enough, the Soviet's rocket genius figure, Sergei Korolev, also had an interesting backstory, but I'll save that post for another day. This image was accessed through Wikipedia Commons.
Day 13: 22 January 2018

@VincentAnderlin @kallimabutterfly @NotarySojac @Firra @BezimiennyRaptor @Cunea @Kirmon64 @RainbowRay

S-IC_engines_and_Von_Braun.jpg

Rocket scientist Wernher Von Braun standing next to the business end of the first stage of a Saturn V.

The Saturn V, as I'm sure we all know, was an incredibly powerful rocket; in fact, it's the tallest and most powerful rocket launched successfully to date. The first stage, the S-IC, was 42 meters tall and 36 meters wide. It provided thrust through five Rocketdyne F-1 engines arranged in an X formation, as you can see in this picture. The four side rockets could rotate together on what I'm pretty sure is kinda a massive gimbal; the fifth was held in position pointed straight down.

Ignition occurred 8.9 seconds before liftoff. (I'm pretty sure this is so they could make sure the thing is reaching a healthy amount of thrust. That's how Shuttle launches worked, at least.) Under normal conditions, the stage would burn for 168 seconds before cutoff. The center engine cut off 26 seconds before the others; if this didn't occur, the vehicle would accelerate unsafely, and the astronauts would feel dangerous amounts of G-force, possibly knocking them out, and this isn't The Martian; they need to fly their rocket! At cutoff, they were travelling 2300 meters per second, and they were at a position of about 67 km in altitude, and 93km downrange.

Wernher Von Braun was the mastermind behind the Saturn V. Before working in America, he worked with missiles in Nazi Germany during WWII. When it became clear that the Nazis were losing, he and his team called a secret meeting and chose to surrender and defect to the United States. Their reason? They were tired of totalitarianism. The US didn't trust their team with rockets very much at all, though Wernher wanted desparately to mess around with them enough to put something in orbit. It was the launch of Sputnik 1 that convinced the US that they needed a team of rocket scientists on their side. Funnily enough, the Soviet's rocket genius figure, Sergei Korolev, also had an interesting backstory, but I'll save that post for another day.

This image was accessed through Wikipedia Commons.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
NUuorfS.png .
Ooh, this is pretty snazzy! I’d love to be added to the pinglist for this! :0
Ooh, this is pretty snazzy! I’d love to be added to the pinglist for this! :0
tumblr_ozp7liPSd31w8xkufo9_250.png
@violalore ooo this is so so so cute and intresting :)))

can you add me to the pinglist too ^^~ ?
@violalore ooo this is so so so cute and intresting :)))

can you add me to the pinglist too ^^~ ?
OMGAKITTEN.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16