Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Pokemon G/S Shinies
This topic is not only for me to gush about how excited I am for shinies but I wanna hear about your shiny experiences! Catch any recent ones? Are you gonna shiny hunt in the digital release? Tell me everything!
I started playing the original Gold on my DS and oh man am I excited. This game is where the legendary rumor of, "When you breed a shiny pokemon, you have a higher chance to breed shinies!" came from!

I'M SO EXCITED TO BREED FOR SHINIES! For those of you who aren't hip and in the know about this, The way shinies were determined back in the day was with IV's of course but IV's were lower back then so as long as the Defense, Speed, and Special were 10, and the Attack was 2, 3, 6, 7, or 14 I believe? I may be wrong on that Attack one BUT ANYWAYS, as long at the IV's match up it was shiny.

Now hold up. Wait a minute. (Fill my cup, put some shinies in it.) Check this out.
Breeding was introduced in this game. And when you breed Pokemon, IV's are passed down to the child. If I remember correctly, it was the father who past down most of the IV and the mother just determined the Pokemon breed.
NOW. CHECK. IT.
WHICH POKEMON IN THIS GAME IS GUARENTEED TO HAVE THE EXACT IV'S NEEDED FOR SHININESS?
RED GYARADOS.
MMMM BOY. Make sure that sucker is a male, slap in in the day care with any female within the same egg group and you got yourself a 1 IN 68 CHANCE OF SHININESS. HOO DOGGY!

Once again, this may not be exactly correct as I haven't played this game in years and may be getting some facts confused with current gen breeding but GOOD GOLLY GOSH IM EXCITED TO GET THOSE SPARKLY BOYS.
I have no idea who I'm gonna breed for though, what do you guys think?
Seaking, Lanturn, Octillery, Qwilfish, Arbok, or Dragonite?

I could also double whammy this popsicle stand by breeding for a shiny that will diverge into a whole nother egg group but that would be a bit of time since the shiny would have to be male so I could run the risk of having multiple shinies. It would be fun to giveaway those shinies in a raffle or something though if people were interested.
Not to mention how LOOOONG it takes to get eggs in the original gold but wooooorth iiiit~
This topic is not only for me to gush about how excited I am for shinies but I wanna hear about your shiny experiences! Catch any recent ones? Are you gonna shiny hunt in the digital release? Tell me everything!
I started playing the original Gold on my DS and oh man am I excited. This game is where the legendary rumor of, "When you breed a shiny pokemon, you have a higher chance to breed shinies!" came from!

I'M SO EXCITED TO BREED FOR SHINIES! For those of you who aren't hip and in the know about this, The way shinies were determined back in the day was with IV's of course but IV's were lower back then so as long as the Defense, Speed, and Special were 10, and the Attack was 2, 3, 6, 7, or 14 I believe? I may be wrong on that Attack one BUT ANYWAYS, as long at the IV's match up it was shiny.

Now hold up. Wait a minute. (Fill my cup, put some shinies in it.) Check this out.
Breeding was introduced in this game. And when you breed Pokemon, IV's are passed down to the child. If I remember correctly, it was the father who past down most of the IV and the mother just determined the Pokemon breed.
NOW. CHECK. IT.
WHICH POKEMON IN THIS GAME IS GUARENTEED TO HAVE THE EXACT IV'S NEEDED FOR SHININESS?
RED GYARADOS.
MMMM BOY. Make sure that sucker is a male, slap in in the day care with any female within the same egg group and you got yourself a 1 IN 68 CHANCE OF SHININESS. HOO DOGGY!

Once again, this may not be exactly correct as I haven't played this game in years and may be getting some facts confused with current gen breeding but GOOD GOLLY GOSH IM EXCITED TO GET THOSE SPARKLY BOYS.
I have no idea who I'm gonna breed for though, what do you guys think?
Seaking, Lanturn, Octillery, Qwilfish, Arbok, or Dragonite?

I could also double whammy this popsicle stand by breeding for a shiny that will diverge into a whole nother egg group but that would be a bit of time since the shiny would have to be male so I could run the risk of having multiple shinies. It would be fun to giveaway those shinies in a raffle or something though if people were interested.
Not to mention how LOOOONG it takes to get eggs in the original gold but wooooorth iiiit~
OOOO I FORGOT ABOUT THIS! GOOD LUCK!

also dont mind me im gonna juts
@drawingdeamon

i need a place that has the stats, thanks
OOOO I FORGOT ABOUT THIS! GOOD LUCK!

also dont mind me im gonna juts
@drawingdeamon

i need a place that has the stats, thanks
My username is drawingdeamon! Please mind the spelling!
My fandragons are in my Hibernal Den!
thisaddefinitelydoesntminebitcoin.png
@AngelSami
The first thing I'm doing after getting my shiny Totodile is hunt for a shiny Ditto over by Goldenrod. Then I can breed for almost anything :D

Quagsire, Charizard, Rapidash, Hitmonchan, Raichu, Psyduck, LAPRAS, Moltres, BELLOSSOM, Gligar, Magcargo, Shuckle, Swinub, Spinarak, Politoed, Umbreon, Houndoom, and Suicune are my to-hunt list for this gen so I'm in for a GREAT time
@AngelSami
The first thing I'm doing after getting my shiny Totodile is hunt for a shiny Ditto over by Goldenrod. Then I can breed for almost anything :D

Quagsire, Charizard, Rapidash, Hitmonchan, Raichu, Psyduck, LAPRAS, Moltres, BELLOSSOM, Gligar, Magcargo, Shuckle, Swinub, Spinarak, Politoed, Umbreon, Houndoom, and Suicune are my to-hunt list for this gen so I'm in for a GREAT time
Snr7ysG.png HChIF4s.png
@Mokuroh
I wanted to shiny reset for cyndaquil but I keep forgetting that his purple flames turn to normal once you transfer him up...
I'm wanting to hunt Crobat, Jumpluff, Yanma, Aipom, Giraffig, Stantler, Smeargle, Donphan, Magby, and Ho-oh! I'm most looking forward to Stantler and Ho-oh~
I would love to hunt for one of the legendary dogs but arnt they a bit trickier to find shiny? Like once you encounter them for the first time they're locked so you have to reset and re-encounter them? I guess that's no different from shiny resetting for stationary legendaries now that I think about it.

And are you gonna go for a wild encounter for that ditto? Because if so good luck! You have more patience than me XD I could see it being fun though, especially if you manage to find a shiny Drowzee! Hypno is one of my favorites, not to mention the cute pink shiny version of him.
@Mokuroh
I wanted to shiny reset for cyndaquil but I keep forgetting that his purple flames turn to normal once you transfer him up...
I'm wanting to hunt Crobat, Jumpluff, Yanma, Aipom, Giraffig, Stantler, Smeargle, Donphan, Magby, and Ho-oh! I'm most looking forward to Stantler and Ho-oh~
I would love to hunt for one of the legendary dogs but arnt they a bit trickier to find shiny? Like once you encounter them for the first time they're locked so you have to reset and re-encounter them? I guess that's no different from shiny resetting for stationary legendaries now that I think about it.

And are you gonna go for a wild encounter for that ditto? Because if so good luck! You have more patience than me XD I could see it being fun though, especially if you manage to find a shiny Drowzee! Hypno is one of my favorites, not to mention the cute pink shiny version of him.
@AngelSami Random encounter is my favorite method, partially because of the chance to find other things! I mean I'd love a shiny Drowzee or even the 1% Yanma (btw someone ALREADY found one)

Also isn't Suicune stationary? I've never played GSC, just the remakes so I'm hoping that stays the same
@AngelSami Random encounter is my favorite method, partially because of the chance to find other things! I mean I'd love a shiny Drowzee or even the 1% Yanma (btw someone ALREADY found one)

Also isn't Suicune stationary? I've never played GSC, just the remakes so I'm hoping that stays the same
Snr7ysG.png HChIF4s.png
@Mokuroh
I thought Suicune was stationary only in Crystal? In Gold and Silver I believe he's also roaming with the other two sadly. I would love to find a shiny Entei but idk how the roaming mechanic will mess with it. I think it truly is up to soft resetting till the first encounter is shiny.
@Mokuroh
I thought Suicune was stationary only in Crystal? In Gold and Silver I believe he's also roaming with the other two sadly. I would love to find a shiny Entei but idk how the roaming mechanic will mess with it. I think it truly is up to soft resetting till the first encounter is shiny.