Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Who else here plays D&D?
1 2
So I just started a new campaign with some friends last month, and it's given me the RPG itch. If anyone else plays, tell me all about it! What's your character? What are some notable moments from your campaign? What's your party like? :0

I have a bunch of characters from previous drop-in sessions playing Pathfinder with friends, but for this continuous campaign, I'm playing a Half-Orc fighter. First time I've ever played a melee character and I have to say, it's satisfying to one-shot fodder enemies that were seriously scary to my Bard!
So I just started a new campaign with some friends last month, and it's given me the RPG itch. If anyone else plays, tell me all about it! What's your character? What are some notable moments from your campaign? What's your party like? :0

I have a bunch of characters from previous drop-in sessions playing Pathfinder with friends, but for this continuous campaign, I'm playing a Half-Orc fighter. First time I've ever played a melee character and I have to say, it's satisfying to one-shot fodder enemies that were seriously scary to my Bard!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ecto
they/ey
21403.png25756.png
@ectochoir

[RAISES HAND]
yES HELLO DID SOMEONE SAY D&D?!?

Right now, I'm running a campaign for my friend! I only really have one good friend to play D&D with, so one of us winds up DMing while the other plays anywhere between one to three characters. It's a bit clunky, but actually pretty fun!

The campaign I'm running takes place mainly in the Outlands - the players have just gotten to the city of Sigil in our last session. Essentially, the main plot is that stars have started disappearing from the sky, and nobody can quite determine what's happening other than that it's bad news. Each character also has their own motives for being in the Outlands, but that's the main plot.

Basically, the party consists of three characters: Joris, the human werebear fighter (eldritch warrior, I think) who's worried that the Red Wizards of Thay are tracking him down, a bard construct named Doza with a boombox from Earth installed in her chest, and a Tabaxi cleric/rogue named Nimblesmoke who steals things and occasionally smokes shrooms. Joris wants to stop the Red Wizards from hunting him, Doza wants to know where she and the boombox came from, and Nimblesmoke is looking for a demiplane to move her people to because her home plane is being totally invaded by the Skaven, a rat-people from the Warhammer 40k universe.

There's also some stuff about Bast and a deceptive archfiend named Morumal who has tricked the party into thinking that they're benevolent. Oh, and some stuff about the Rod of Seven Parts, the Annulus, and the Codex of Infinite Planes will come up soon, but my players don't know that yet!

My friend and I have a plan to run a game where we basically mash the D&D and Fate Core systems together. I still have yet to roll up my character, but I know they're going to be a tiefling warlock with an amazing homebrew patron. (I'll give you links to it if you want, it's awesome stuff!)
@ectochoir

[RAISES HAND]
yES HELLO DID SOMEONE SAY D&D?!?

Right now, I'm running a campaign for my friend! I only really have one good friend to play D&D with, so one of us winds up DMing while the other plays anywhere between one to three characters. It's a bit clunky, but actually pretty fun!

The campaign I'm running takes place mainly in the Outlands - the players have just gotten to the city of Sigil in our last session. Essentially, the main plot is that stars have started disappearing from the sky, and nobody can quite determine what's happening other than that it's bad news. Each character also has their own motives for being in the Outlands, but that's the main plot.

Basically, the party consists of three characters: Joris, the human werebear fighter (eldritch warrior, I think) who's worried that the Red Wizards of Thay are tracking him down, a bard construct named Doza with a boombox from Earth installed in her chest, and a Tabaxi cleric/rogue named Nimblesmoke who steals things and occasionally smokes shrooms. Joris wants to stop the Red Wizards from hunting him, Doza wants to know where she and the boombox came from, and Nimblesmoke is looking for a demiplane to move her people to because her home plane is being totally invaded by the Skaven, a rat-people from the Warhammer 40k universe.

There's also some stuff about Bast and a deceptive archfiend named Morumal who has tricked the party into thinking that they're benevolent. Oh, and some stuff about the Rod of Seven Parts, the Annulus, and the Codex of Infinite Planes will come up soon, but my players don't know that yet!

My friend and I have a plan to run a game where we basically mash the D&D and Fate Core systems together. I still have yet to roll up my character, but I know they're going to be a tiefling warlock with an amazing homebrew patron. (I'll give you links to it if you want, it's awesome stuff!)
oZSMaBu.png "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
they/them
tumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo6_75sq.pngtumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo5_75sq.png
[/code]
@Luthyx
Whoa, sounds like a good time! I've done some one on one sessions before, but never where I play more than one character! :0 It must make for an interesting dynamic. It sounds like there's lots planned to go through as well! I suppose a broad plot ensures you'll be playing for a long time to come though.

My friend who's DMing our 5e campaign is being very secretive about the plot so far lmao. We've only had 2 sessions but so far we've already slain a cursed bear, retrieved a convoy from bandits and returned it to the Merchants' Guild, and solved a murder mystery at a brothel. The DM says we're blowing through content so fast, he's having trouble keeping up with us, haha. He had to delay our next session so he could finish up the next section of story.

I've never played anything but D&D and Pathfinder, but I'm actually slowly working on building my own system to go along with an original world I've had in the works for years. :0 It's a lot of work!
@Luthyx
Whoa, sounds like a good time! I've done some one on one sessions before, but never where I play more than one character! :0 It must make for an interesting dynamic. It sounds like there's lots planned to go through as well! I suppose a broad plot ensures you'll be playing for a long time to come though.

My friend who's DMing our 5e campaign is being very secretive about the plot so far lmao. We've only had 2 sessions but so far we've already slain a cursed bear, retrieved a convoy from bandits and returned it to the Merchants' Guild, and solved a murder mystery at a brothel. The DM says we're blowing through content so fast, he's having trouble keeping up with us, haha. He had to delay our next session so he could finish up the next section of story.

I've never played anything but D&D and Pathfinder, but I'm actually slowly working on building my own system to go along with an original world I've had in the works for years. :0 It's a lot of work!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ecto
they/ey
21403.png25756.png
@ectochoir

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting dynamic! I have to be careful so that no one character falls behind the rest and becomes irrelevant, since that would otherwise break up the tandem of the story. I have a sort of idea as to the end plot, and I've sprinkled some NPCs and clues throughout the world, but other than that, I've essentially built a giant sandbox. My player is going to have to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B, since I'm doing practically nothing but improvising and praying to RNGesus at this point.

Sounds like an interesting campaign you've got there! You'll have to tell me more as the plot unravels, heh.

Ooh, you're making your own system? That's awesome! I'd love to hear about it and its world at some point. This is Fate Core, by the way! I really, really love characters and story-writing (it's probably no wonder that I write books for a living, heh), so this system spoke to me a lot. We'll have to find a way to merge it with D&D to make an epic campaign!
@ectochoir

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting dynamic! I have to be careful so that no one character falls behind the rest and becomes irrelevant, since that would otherwise break up the tandem of the story. I have a sort of idea as to the end plot, and I've sprinkled some NPCs and clues throughout the world, but other than that, I've essentially built a giant sandbox. My player is going to have to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B, since I'm doing practically nothing but improvising and praying to RNGesus at this point.

Sounds like an interesting campaign you've got there! You'll have to tell me more as the plot unravels, heh.

Ooh, you're making your own system? That's awesome! I'd love to hear about it and its world at some point. This is Fate Core, by the way! I really, really love characters and story-writing (it's probably no wonder that I write books for a living, heh), so this system spoke to me a lot. We'll have to find a way to merge it with D&D to make an epic campaign!
oZSMaBu.png "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
they/them
tumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo6_75sq.pngtumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo5_75sq.png
[/code]
@Luthyx
I feel like I would have so much trouble with that. I get so invested in each character I play that balancing out my attention between them would be a hard task for me! :P For example, I don't even play in the campaign in which I made my ifrit bard, but he's still one of my favorite characters and I still invest more time in him than I do my half-orc I'm currently playing!

I'm sensing tension between the two kingdoms in the world we're in, so I feel like we might end up trying to prevent a war or helping one of the countries. Not sure which yet, but our DM is definitely brewing up a storm on the horizon!

Now that I see it, I recall reading about the Fate Core system! It's pretty neat! :0 Big open sandbox worlds are the best tbh. If I manage to finish my system and play a campaign, I'll be dropping my party on the map and saying "okay go." I have enough individual plot points already written that are all separate that it might just be fun to let them explore and solve some puzzles before introducing them to anything big and overarching later on.
@Luthyx
I feel like I would have so much trouble with that. I get so invested in each character I play that balancing out my attention between them would be a hard task for me! :P For example, I don't even play in the campaign in which I made my ifrit bard, but he's still one of my favorite characters and I still invest more time in him than I do my half-orc I'm currently playing!

I'm sensing tension between the two kingdoms in the world we're in, so I feel like we might end up trying to prevent a war or helping one of the countries. Not sure which yet, but our DM is definitely brewing up a storm on the horizon!

Now that I see it, I recall reading about the Fate Core system! It's pretty neat! :0 Big open sandbox worlds are the best tbh. If I manage to finish my system and play a campaign, I'll be dropping my party on the map and saying "okay go." I have enough individual plot points already written that are all separate that it might just be fun to let them explore and solve some puzzles before introducing them to anything big and overarching later on.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ecto
they/ey
21403.png25756.png
I've been DM'ing two groups of friends for some time now, even though we're not that far into my story- gosh, it's so exhausting but I absolutely LOVE it. I love writing the stories and random snippets and making the characters sweat for something.

Recently they tried to take down an organization residing at a small town that sells slaves and I had a whole thing ready with a hand drawn and painted map of a place but they decided to just randomly bust out and ruined my plans altogether....... I'll have to get back at them somehow, but they're totally owning being the heroes of their story!!
I've been DM'ing two groups of friends for some time now, even though we're not that far into my story- gosh, it's so exhausting but I absolutely LOVE it. I love writing the stories and random snippets and making the characters sweat for something.

Recently they tried to take down an organization residing at a small town that sells slaves and I had a whole thing ready with a hand drawn and painted map of a place but they decided to just randomly bust out and ruined my plans altogether....... I'll have to get back at them somehow, but they're totally owning being the heroes of their story!!
I do! I don't have a character, I'm the gm, I have a bunch of characters that my players enjoy messing with and occasionally murdering
We've played a few sessions to meet/establish characters, now we're ready to start the main campaign just in time for school to start and everyone to go away lmao
I do! I don't have a character, I'm the gm, I have a bunch of characters that my players enjoy messing with and occasionally murdering
We've played a few sessions to meet/establish characters, now we're ready to start the main campaign just in time for school to start and everyone to go away lmao
tumblr_n8h81aIYJy1si697do4_500.png
My friends and I play D&D with our imaginations ;v; We have dice, but not anything else needed to actually play the game. It seems to work for us since we play for hours, but it would be nice to have actual rules to follow...
My friends and I play D&D with our imaginations ;v; We have dice, but not anything else needed to actually play the game. It seems to work for us since we play for hours, but it would be nice to have actual rules to follow...
tumblr_pshm8gf6Wq1vb7houo1_500.png
@ectochoir

I really want to get back into DnD. I used to be part of a pretty active group but then said group dwindled down to three people - me, my mom, and the DM. I need to find people to play with - I'm in college so there are a lot of people who are likely game candidates, but I'm incredibly timid unless I have context and time to talk to someone about DnD. There are people who play it in the cafeteria, but I'm not gonna run up into them in the middle of a game and say HEY I C U LIKE DND CAN U PLAY WITH ME AND MY FRANDZ?

Anyway, when I played it more often, it was a blast. We played a lot of Pathfinder and 4th edition with my DM and out of the two I prefer 4th because it's more...streamlined? Easier to understand and more balanced. Basically you didn't have 3 half-elf rangers in one party because that was the best race/class combo to play (as it was in Pathfinder).

Our longest-running campaign had its share of weird stories and fun moments. One of our party members was an 82-year-old warlock who worshiped the Void (he was a star pact warlock) and handed out pamphlets like a Jehovah's Witness. He also had the body of a 17-year-old for a while but reverted to his aged state when we fought some monsters that sapped arcane power.

Other notable stars: Rhogar the dragonborn fighter aka The True MVP, Aurelia the paladin of the Raven Queen who vowed to serve because of an ancient curse on her family laid by the Raven Queen herself (the character I played), Roswynn the gnome bard who at some point got a pet fey owlbear from a bunch of friendly goblins (more on that later), who was played by my mom, and a shifter runepriest named Rock who spoke broken Common but impeccable Goblin whose favorite word was "Trap" (played by the warlock's player after a certain point in the story).

At one point in the game, our entire party ended up sucked into a time portal in a forest that took us 10 years into the future. The warlock managed to keep himself in the present, but in a fit of rage stapled a bunch of his little Void pamphlets to the forest's trees and burned down the entire forest with a miniature sun of radiant energy. During the 10 years that we had missed, the warlock married one of our recurring villains, a she-goblin hexer, converted her entire goblin village into star-worshiping not-evil goblins, and had a half-goblin daughter named Starr. Oh, and he became the Goblin King.

Notable fails:

- During a fight with skeletons, the warlock wanted to use Dread Star, which unleashes a miniature sun to shoot a death ray at the target. Another player, who was playing a bard (note: this was not my mom's gnome bard), said that if the warlock rolled a 1, he would let the warlock smite him with the death ray. The warlock rolled a one. Surprisingly, it was not the death ray that killed the bard, but rather a piece from an exploding boneshard skeleton.

- We were navigating a puzzle dungeon to retrieve a magical item known as the MacGuffin Stone to perform a ritual to banish an evil titan to his home domain (a perfect example of my DM's sense of humor) and we ended up swimming for it through a flooded section of the dungeon after we got the stone. Problem is, the paladin was a crap swimmer, and there was a whirlpool that was messing with our athletics (swim) checks. So True MVP Dragonborn Fighter played lifeguard and constantly dragged the poor paladin out of danger until we all decided to go back to dry land and go back the way we came. It was less difficult navigating the fire jet traps on the way back than swimming for it.

- During the climax of the story, we were performing the banishing ritual to rid this world of the evil titan. So all the spellcasters were near a statue with the MacGuffin Stones and Plot Device Stones (totally separate objects btw), leaving the fighter and paladin to guard their backs. Then, black puddings oozed onto the scene. At this point, it should be made clear that black puddings split into smaller and smaller black puddings when hit with melee attacks. We had two melee fighters who had to face these puddings and no magical backup. The paladin died one turn before the fighter could shove a health potion down her throat, smothered to death by tiny black puddings. What a way to die.

After the paladin died I played a Minotaur ranger whose combination of feats and weaponry allowed her to shoot an arrow across the entire board without penalty, but I didn't get to play her for long because it was around this time people stopped showing up and we ran out of players.
@ectochoir

I really want to get back into DnD. I used to be part of a pretty active group but then said group dwindled down to three people - me, my mom, and the DM. I need to find people to play with - I'm in college so there are a lot of people who are likely game candidates, but I'm incredibly timid unless I have context and time to talk to someone about DnD. There are people who play it in the cafeteria, but I'm not gonna run up into them in the middle of a game and say HEY I C U LIKE DND CAN U PLAY WITH ME AND MY FRANDZ?

Anyway, when I played it more often, it was a blast. We played a lot of Pathfinder and 4th edition with my DM and out of the two I prefer 4th because it's more...streamlined? Easier to understand and more balanced. Basically you didn't have 3 half-elf rangers in one party because that was the best race/class combo to play (as it was in Pathfinder).

Our longest-running campaign had its share of weird stories and fun moments. One of our party members was an 82-year-old warlock who worshiped the Void (he was a star pact warlock) and handed out pamphlets like a Jehovah's Witness. He also had the body of a 17-year-old for a while but reverted to his aged state when we fought some monsters that sapped arcane power.

Other notable stars: Rhogar the dragonborn fighter aka The True MVP, Aurelia the paladin of the Raven Queen who vowed to serve because of an ancient curse on her family laid by the Raven Queen herself (the character I played), Roswynn the gnome bard who at some point got a pet fey owlbear from a bunch of friendly goblins (more on that later), who was played by my mom, and a shifter runepriest named Rock who spoke broken Common but impeccable Goblin whose favorite word was "Trap" (played by the warlock's player after a certain point in the story).

At one point in the game, our entire party ended up sucked into a time portal in a forest that took us 10 years into the future. The warlock managed to keep himself in the present, but in a fit of rage stapled a bunch of his little Void pamphlets to the forest's trees and burned down the entire forest with a miniature sun of radiant energy. During the 10 years that we had missed, the warlock married one of our recurring villains, a she-goblin hexer, converted her entire goblin village into star-worshiping not-evil goblins, and had a half-goblin daughter named Starr. Oh, and he became the Goblin King.

Notable fails:

- During a fight with skeletons, the warlock wanted to use Dread Star, which unleashes a miniature sun to shoot a death ray at the target. Another player, who was playing a bard (note: this was not my mom's gnome bard), said that if the warlock rolled a 1, he would let the warlock smite him with the death ray. The warlock rolled a one. Surprisingly, it was not the death ray that killed the bard, but rather a piece from an exploding boneshard skeleton.

- We were navigating a puzzle dungeon to retrieve a magical item known as the MacGuffin Stone to perform a ritual to banish an evil titan to his home domain (a perfect example of my DM's sense of humor) and we ended up swimming for it through a flooded section of the dungeon after we got the stone. Problem is, the paladin was a crap swimmer, and there was a whirlpool that was messing with our athletics (swim) checks. So True MVP Dragonborn Fighter played lifeguard and constantly dragged the poor paladin out of danger until we all decided to go back to dry land and go back the way we came. It was less difficult navigating the fire jet traps on the way back than swimming for it.

- During the climax of the story, we were performing the banishing ritual to rid this world of the evil titan. So all the spellcasters were near a statue with the MacGuffin Stones and Plot Device Stones (totally separate objects btw), leaving the fighter and paladin to guard their backs. Then, black puddings oozed onto the scene. At this point, it should be made clear that black puddings split into smaller and smaller black puddings when hit with melee attacks. We had two melee fighters who had to face these puddings and no magical backup. The paladin died one turn before the fighter could shove a health potion down her throat, smothered to death by tiny black puddings. What a way to die.

After the paladin died I played a Minotaur ranger whose combination of feats and weaponry allowed her to shoot an arrow across the entire board without penalty, but I didn't get to play her for long because it was around this time people stopped showing up and we ran out of players.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
Ahhhh! I'm in a D&D group at the moment! We're doing the Storm King's Thunder campaign right now, and I'm playing an Elven Bard. His name is Ruinor Nailo and all he wants to do is make people happy with his music!

The last point we got to in the campaign, our group sort of adopted a baby dragon for a while and then had to leave it and everyone was pretty sad. And we also sort of stole a flying cat?
Ahhhh! I'm in a D&D group at the moment! We're doing the Storm King's Thunder campaign right now, and I'm playing an Elven Bard. His name is Ruinor Nailo and all he wants to do is make people happy with his music!

The last point we got to in the campaign, our group sort of adopted a baby dragon for a while and then had to leave it and everyone was pretty sad. And we also sort of stole a flying cat?
Mira | He/They | FR +14
1 2