Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 36 37
@Enigmadoodles

That's amazing :0

I guess Deer -found accidentally dead/already dead- are okay for claim in your area? It'd be great if it was like that where I live, I'd need a permit to take Deer of any type on my own legally~
@Enigmadoodles

That's amazing :0

I guess Deer -found accidentally dead/already dead- are okay for claim in your area? It'd be great if it was like that where I live, I'd need a permit to take Deer of any type on my own legally~
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
@Beefuzz

Well, there seem to be laws against collecting roadkill without a permit, but this obviously wasn't roadkill and those laws mostly stands for taxidermy. So unless I missed something somewhere I'm pretty sure everything I've collected, and how I've collected it, is legal.

Laws are weird. I swear I did my research.
@Beefuzz

Well, there seem to be laws against collecting roadkill without a permit, but this obviously wasn't roadkill and those laws mostly stands for taxidermy. So unless I missed something somewhere I'm pretty sure everything I've collected, and how I've collected it, is legal.

Laws are weird. I swear I did my research.
@Enigmadoodles

Aha, in my area collecting "Already dead" things -save for a couple animals- has been legal effectively since 2013, I found that out recently lol. Which means I could just collect about any dead critter I find. Deer and Turkey are off limits unless you've got a permit~
@Enigmadoodles

Aha, in my area collecting "Already dead" things -save for a couple animals- has been legal effectively since 2013, I found that out recently lol. Which means I could just collect about any dead critter I find. Deer and Turkey are off limits unless you've got a permit~
@Beefuzz

I hope it's ok that I ping you; Google has been useless in answering my question, so I hope you or someone else can help!

You may remember but I shared a picture of my full coyote piece, an old one but still in great shape. I recently moved, and started realizing he smells horribly of cat and litter stuff; I have two cats but I've taken care of them super well and never noticed a smell, let alone one this bad, so Devyn(yes I named the coyote) must be holding the odor in well because his fur reeks of it.

My question is, is there any way I can get the smell out without damaging him?? Google only gave ways to get the original "dead animal" smell out, I don't think this is the same...
@Beefuzz

I hope it's ok that I ping you; Google has been useless in answering my question, so I hope you or someone else can help!

You may remember but I shared a picture of my full coyote piece, an old one but still in great shape. I recently moved, and started realizing he smells horribly of cat and litter stuff; I have two cats but I've taken care of them super well and never noticed a smell, let alone one this bad, so Devyn(yes I named the coyote) must be holding the odor in well because his fur reeks of it.

My question is, is there any way I can get the smell out without damaging him?? Google only gave ways to get the original "dead animal" smell out, I don't think this is the same...
**Please ping me Rahkali, not Rakhali!**

xxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx x xxxxx xxxx x x xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxx
z0HlerP.png
@Rahkali

There are a couple of taxidermist listed on our front page, they might be able to offer help!

If I was more sure of it, I'd say try waterless shampoo (like for dogs)... Or some kind of dry shampoo. I don't know if that would be safe/wise.
@Rahkali

There are a couple of taxidermist listed on our front page, they might be able to offer help!

If I was more sure of it, I'd say try waterless shampoo (like for dogs)... Or some kind of dry shampoo. I don't know if that would be safe/wise.
So glad I've found this thread <3

Username: @/KingSpinosaurus
Collection: Antlers, horns (sheep, cow and antelope), teeth, a shark, a pheasant, (baby) crocodile head, turtle shells, sea urchins, wasp nests (was and earth), shells of all kinds, beetles and butterflies, fossils (fish, teeth, ammonites, trilobites and plants), sea stars, dried seahorse, feathers, sepia bones. I also like live in a botanical garden full of cacti, succulents, carnivorous plants and decorated with crystals c:
Skills: Bone cleaning, salt/wet preserving, taxidermy (but on a modest level, I attented classes for this)
Dream piece(s): Wild boar shoulder mount, deer shoulder mount, red fox pelt, diaphonized bat (or just preserved as a wet specimen), giraffe skull, dolphin skull.. Anything actually, I have a really long list
Do you mind being pinged?: No c:
So glad I've found this thread <3

Username: @/KingSpinosaurus
Collection: Antlers, horns (sheep, cow and antelope), teeth, a shark, a pheasant, (baby) crocodile head, turtle shells, sea urchins, wasp nests (was and earth), shells of all kinds, beetles and butterflies, fossils (fish, teeth, ammonites, trilobites and plants), sea stars, dried seahorse, feathers, sepia bones. I also like live in a botanical garden full of cacti, succulents, carnivorous plants and decorated with crystals c:
Skills: Bone cleaning, salt/wet preserving, taxidermy (but on a modest level, I attented classes for this)
Dream piece(s): Wild boar shoulder mount, deer shoulder mount, red fox pelt, diaphonized bat (or just preserved as a wet specimen), giraffe skull, dolphin skull.. Anything actually, I have a really long list
Do you mind being pinged?: No c:
Help them grow please!=>eastern-dragon-child-fire-pixel.gif
i found a place with tons of pretty butterflies today! @LizardKing and i picked up 3 dead ones, and we might keep stopping by to pick up more! theyre in the freezer now to get sanitized
i found a place with tons of pretty butterflies today! @LizardKing and i picked up 3 dead ones, and we might keep stopping by to pick up more! theyre in the freezer now to get sanitized
8VvjJ9p.png
@kuchipatchis

How did you find them? Wings opened or closed? A tip: Get a proper display box, it'll be much easier than using a shadow box like I did~ plus it'll probably fit better in a proper display.

I was lucky enough to find Lillith Butterfly with her wings spread so she didn't need to be relaxed ^^
@kuchipatchis

How did you find them? Wings opened or closed? A tip: Get a proper display box, it'll be much easier than using a shadow box like I did~ plus it'll probably fit better in a proper display.

I was lucky enough to find Lillith Butterfly with her wings spread so she didn't need to be relaxed ^^
@BeeFuzz The first one we found had its wings open, the other two were closed. But that'd be awesome if we could just skip the relaxing on the first bug, it did seem like a pretty decent position. Might of changed when were freezed it though. What would be a proper display box? Is it something I'd have to get online, or just a different box than a shadow box we could get at a craft store? ............. So I just came back from a sorta mini Renaissance Festival, and got a nice rabbit pelt for 8 bucks! The whole both was so nice, it had bee products (some honey and wax), all sorts of little knick knacks (marbles, little dragon figurines, tiny glass bottles), some play bows and knives, and a decent amount of little taxidermy things (the rabbit pelts, some raccoon and fox tails, alligator claws) Here it is, my dog wants so desperately to eat it or something lol [img]https://i.imgur.com/tQNqx4G.jpg[/img]
@BeeFuzz

The first one we found had its wings open, the other two were closed. But that'd be awesome if we could just skip the relaxing on the first bug, it did seem like a pretty decent position. Might of changed when were freezed it though.

What would be a proper display box? Is it something I'd have to get online, or just a different box than a shadow box we could get at a craft store?

So I just came back from a sorta mini Renaissance Festival, and got a nice rabbit pelt for 8 bucks! The whole both was so nice, it had bee products (some honey and wax), all sorts of little knick knacks (marbles, little dragon figurines, tiny glass bottles), some play bows and knives, and a decent amount of little taxidermy things (the rabbit pelts, some raccoon and fox tails, alligator claws)

Here it is, my dog wants so desperately to eat it or something lol
tQNqx4G.jpg
@LizardKing

I'd say try to find something that allows the top to open and is deep. The problem with my display-shadow box- is that in the end it wasn't deep enough and bent the pin as a result. Plus the opening top would probably be easier to work with than a shadow box because to keep the foam safely in place I had to tape it down. Otherwise the foam would have moved while I secured it.

The best bet would probably be to find a thin sheet of foam -to poke the pin into- and then a shadow box that would fit that and the pin's entire height, if you don't mind having something that closes from the bottom/back.

-
Lilith's wings didn't change positions any when I stuck her in the freezer, nor did they when my dad put something on top of them -it wasn't anything too heavy though, but had she not been frozen more or less she'd've been squished more than likely.- Her wings held the position pretty well even once I was pinning her, but they moved a little bit at first~
@LizardKing

I'd say try to find something that allows the top to open and is deep. The problem with my display-shadow box- is that in the end it wasn't deep enough and bent the pin as a result. Plus the opening top would probably be easier to work with than a shadow box because to keep the foam safely in place I had to tape it down. Otherwise the foam would have moved while I secured it.

The best bet would probably be to find a thin sheet of foam -to poke the pin into- and then a shadow box that would fit that and the pin's entire height, if you don't mind having something that closes from the bottom/back.

-
Lilith's wings didn't change positions any when I stuck her in the freezer, nor did they when my dad put something on top of them -it wasn't anything too heavy though, but had she not been frozen more or less she'd've been squished more than likely.- Her wings held the position pretty well even once I was pinning her, but they moved a little bit at first~
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 36 37