Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37
@BeeFuzz I actually did a little tutorial on my tumblr for birds (just a warning that it is image heavy and graphic): https://marissastaxidermy.tumblr.com/post/159060518102/bird-taxidermy-tutorial
There’s not really a ‘proper’ way to mount birds if you ask me. Honestly whether you use cotton balls to stuff it or a premade mannequin, if you can mimic the body size and shape there’s nothing to worry about!
I’ve done a couple of rabbits and just did a field mouse recently. It is super hard! I have so many little creatures in the freezer I have to work on this month but they always make me nervous haha! Are you talking about precious creature or meikedeerfish by chance? They do some of the best small animals I’ve ever seen.
@BeeFuzz I actually did a little tutorial on my tumblr for birds (just a warning that it is image heavy and graphic): https://marissastaxidermy.tumblr.com/post/159060518102/bird-taxidermy-tutorial
There’s not really a ‘proper’ way to mount birds if you ask me. Honestly whether you use cotton balls to stuff it or a premade mannequin, if you can mimic the body size and shape there’s nothing to worry about!
I’ve done a couple of rabbits and just did a field mouse recently. It is super hard! I have so many little creatures in the freezer I have to work on this month but they always make me nervous haha! Are you talking about precious creature or meikedeerfish by chance? They do some of the best small animals I’ve ever seen.
My dad picked up a raccoon today (he found two, but one had a foamy mouth so he didnt pick it up) and were going to try straight-to-maceration now! well see how that goes!

we just put it right into a bucket of water and put a lid on. hopefully this will work out because our dirt isnt working anymore and weve lost a lot of potential bones to whatever it is that makes them degrade now :(
My dad picked up a raccoon today (he found two, but one had a foamy mouth so he didnt pick it up) and were going to try straight-to-maceration now! well see how that goes!

we just put it right into a bucket of water and put a lid on. hopefully this will work out because our dirt isnt working anymore and weve lost a lot of potential bones to whatever it is that makes them degrade now :(
8VvjJ9p.png
@kuchipatchis

Good luck!! I hope it works out for you, if it does I'd love to see pics~ And y'all are so lucky, my family would never pick up deads for me, they'd tell me about it but that is as far as they'd go lol.

@Clandestump

Yup, DeerFishTaxidermy~ (as on dA). I've been watching their account for a few years now, they do such amazing work! They are an inspiration of mine in Taxidermy terms~
@kuchipatchis

Good luck!! I hope it works out for you, if it does I'd love to see pics~ And y'all are so lucky, my family would never pick up deads for me, they'd tell me about it but that is as far as they'd go lol.

@Clandestump

Yup, DeerFishTaxidermy~ (as on dA). I've been watching their account for a few years now, they do such amazing work! They are an inspiration of mine in Taxidermy terms~
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
uhhh lol update on macerating the raccoon

it bloated and burst the lid off the bucket and was just floating to the top. we couldnt get it back down and had to put another bucket on top and hope for the best. We have to wait for the bloating to stop before we can get it back in the bucket. it STINKS and its RIGHT BY OUR NEIGHBOR BEHIND A FENCE

this is the kinda stuff thats gonna get the cops called on us for animal cruelty or something

the neighbor this is taking place by literally is a cop
uhhh lol update on macerating the raccoon

it bloated and burst the lid off the bucket and was just floating to the top. we couldnt get it back down and had to put another bucket on top and hope for the best. We have to wait for the bloating to stop before we can get it back in the bucket. it STINKS and its RIGHT BY OUR NEIGHBOR BEHIND A FENCE

this is the kinda stuff thats gonna get the cops called on us for animal cruelty or something

the neighbor this is taking place by literally is a cop
8VvjJ9p.png
GUYS Look at this amazing mount I found on OfferUp [img]https://i.imgur.com/wmWkWUk.jpg[/img] Its really expensive (obviously, its a nice shoulder mount) so I'm not going to buy it or anything, but I just LOVE its position. Like, how many times do you see a deer shoulder mount [i]turned around[/i]? I mean, not like I have particularity seen a whole lot of mounts, but I really haven't seen something like this guy and I love it .... In other news, I think I am advancing decently on my backyard Victorian taxidermist wet preserving. [spoiler] I recently got a meat basting needle at target that had a super nice syringe, but sadly the needle had holes in it like the first one I bought, so useful for getting really deep in with fixative but not much else. BUT at Bed Bath and Beyond I got a third flavor injecting needle that has like, legit medical looking needles; short, blunt tipped, with the plastic to insert them into the syringe... but the syringe itself seems to have similar bad suction to the very first one I bought. But I think between these two new ones, this should work out pretty decent! Just goota prepare for if another possible specimen presents itself.[/spoiler] That being said, if anyone knows how to get proper needles for taxidermy, please share! And any tips on if there are fixatives stronger than ethyl alcohol (what I'm using now) that isn't so scary and toxic and flammable as formalin/formaldehyde.
GUYS Look at this amazing mount I found on OfferUp

wmWkWUk.jpg

Its really expensive (obviously, its a nice shoulder mount) so I'm not going to buy it or anything, but I just LOVE its position. Like, how many times do you see a deer shoulder mount turned around? I mean, not like I have particularity seen a whole lot of mounts, but I really haven't seen something like this guy and I love it

In other news, I think I am advancing decently on my backyard Victorian taxidermist wet preserving. I recently got a meat basting needle at target that had a super nice syringe, but sadly the needle had holes in it like the first one I bought, so useful for getting really deep in with fixative but not much else. BUT at Bed Bath and Beyond I got a third flavor injecting needle that has like, legit medical looking needles; short, blunt tipped, with the plastic to insert them into the syringe... but the syringe itself seems to have similar bad suction to the very first one I bought. But I think between these two new ones, this should work out pretty decent! Just goota prepare for if another possible specimen presents itself.

That being said, if anyone knows how to get proper needles for taxidermy, please share! And any tips on if there are fixatives stronger than ethyl alcohol (what I'm using now) that isn't so scary and toxic and flammable as formalin/formaldehyde.
My brother and I dug up some bugs at the park to experiment with keeping them; two died due to humidty issues and I clipped their wings off with scissors. There's one dark red, veined wing guard and two normal orangey wings to each one, and I think they'd look great as a charm bracelet made with copper wire.

I've got my epoxy resin and silicone molds at the ready, hopefully this project goes well! :D Would anyone mind if I document the process on this thread with pictures?

also in case you're wondering the two remaining roachies are doin good
My brother and I dug up some bugs at the park to experiment with keeping them; two died due to humidty issues and I clipped their wings off with scissors. There's one dark red, veined wing guard and two normal orangey wings to each one, and I think they'd look great as a charm bracelet made with copper wire.

I've got my epoxy resin and silicone molds at the ready, hopefully this project goes well! :D Would anyone mind if I document the process on this thread with pictures?

also in case you're wondering the two remaining roachies are doin good
image.png
@GingerC

Go on a head! Document your project :D I'd love to see pics~
@GingerC

Go on a head! Document your project :D I'd love to see pics~
Do human bones count? 'Cause you can buy them online, there's a website that sells human bones that have been used for science. Not sure that counts as taxidermy though.

I just.. super want one for my mantle..

(human skulls in the links >>)
LINK
LINK
Do human bones count? 'Cause you can buy them online, there's a website that sells human bones that have been used for science. Not sure that counts as taxidermy though.

I just.. super want one for my mantle..

(human skulls in the links >>)
LINK
LINK
@BlueFeathers

Unfortunately where I live one has to be in a certain field /medical or archaeological are a couple examples/ to be able to legally own real human remains -bones-. I'd otherwise want a skull, which would be odd once I gave it a name, because it was once a person with their own name.

I've been looking at Replicas though~
@BlueFeathers

Unfortunately where I live one has to be in a certain field /medical or archaeological are a couple examples/ to be able to legally own real human remains -bones-. I'd otherwise want a skull, which would be odd once I gave it a name, because it was once a person with their own name.

I've been looking at Replicas though~
@BeeFuzz what if... someone made a replica skull.......... out of calcium...................... would that be wild or what

Also your username is the cutest thing i've ever seen
@BeeFuzz what if... someone made a replica skull.......... out of calcium...................... would that be wild or what

Also your username is the cutest thing i've ever seen
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37