Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36 37
@dinosaur42

I soaked my bones for a week or two the second go around~ because oops I left them too long and algae exploded the first go around... BUT: I could copy/paste and ask a Tumblr user for their advice, since they do bones, they have a fast response time too!!
@dinosaur42

I soaked my bones for a week or two the second go around~ because oops I left them too long and algae exploded the first go around... BUT: I could copy/paste and ask a Tumblr user for their advice, since they do bones, they have a fast response time too!!
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
@BeeFuzz that would be really great if you could, thanks! I'm just a bit clueless in what I have to do, because before these skulls, all I've ever collected has been feathers and already preserved fossils
@BeeFuzz that would be really great if you could, thanks! I'm just a bit clueless in what I have to do, because before these skulls, all I've ever collected has been feathers and already preserved fossils
OvgrUjj.png
!!! I'm so happy I've found my people

I'm still quite new to this so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated ^^

@BeeFuzz

Username: @/ProjectDusty
Collection: Alligator skull, fox tail, assorted shark teeth, lizard skeleton, rabbit foot, scorpion x1, dragonfly x1, jar of cicada shells, snake skin, assorted bird feathers
Skills: Basic scavenging
Dream piece(s): I'd like to be in possession of a complete snake skeleton, that's my only dream piece at the moment.
Do you mind being pinged?: I don't mind, feel free to ping away!
!!! I'm so happy I've found my people

I'm still quite new to this so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated ^^

@BeeFuzz

Username: @/ProjectDusty
Collection: Alligator skull, fox tail, assorted shark teeth, lizard skeleton, rabbit foot, scorpion x1, dragonfly x1, jar of cicada shells, snake skin, assorted bird feathers
Skills: Basic scavenging
Dream piece(s): I'd like to be in possession of a complete snake skeleton, that's my only dream piece at the moment.
Do you mind being pinged?: I don't mind, feel free to ping away!
no
Hey there!
I like collecting various tails, pelts, and feathers, but so far I'm a bit clueless on bones in general.
I live in a forest, and I'd like to know any info on scavenging through areas and how to clean bones!
Hey there!
I like collecting various tails, pelts, and feathers, but so far I'm a bit clueless on bones in general.
I live in a forest, and I'd like to know any info on scavenging through areas and how to clean bones!
Oops! I just realized I never filled out the application!

Username: @/dinosaur42
Collection: A fox skull, the top half of a turtle skull, a decent handful of assorted feathers, my favs of which are Bluejay, some small shark teeth, and some ray teeth. It's a small collection, but it's about as much as I can manage to get hands on while I'm still living with my parents.
Skills: I'm honestly just really good at finding things. Cleaning stuff off is still a bit new to me, but I haven't ruined the skulls yet so I'd like to say I'm ok at that!
Dream piece(s): I want as many skulls as I can get my hands on, but mostly what I want to get is either an intact snake skeleton, and I think if I could get some smaller rib bones, that would be neat ones to have.
Do you mind being pinged?: I'd love to be pinged! Ping away!
Oops! I just realized I never filled out the application!

Username: @/dinosaur42
Collection: A fox skull, the top half of a turtle skull, a decent handful of assorted feathers, my favs of which are Bluejay, some small shark teeth, and some ray teeth. It's a small collection, but it's about as much as I can manage to get hands on while I'm still living with my parents.
Skills: I'm honestly just really good at finding things. Cleaning stuff off is still a bit new to me, but I haven't ruined the skulls yet so I'd like to say I'm ok at that!
Dream piece(s): I want as many skulls as I can get my hands on, but mostly what I want to get is either an intact snake skeleton, and I think if I could get some smaller rib bones, that would be neat ones to have.
Do you mind being pinged?: I'd love to be pinged! Ping away!
OvgrUjj.png
@Dinosaur42

"It depends on the skull and method. If the water is heated (not boiled) then it will take less time. There’s definitely not a set amount of time, just whenever the water stays clear."

This is what they answered~
@Dinosaur42

"It depends on the skull and method. If the water is heated (not boiled) then it will take less time. There’s definitely not a set amount of time, just whenever the water stays clear."

This is what they answered~
@BeeFuzz thank you very much for checking! Hopefully soon they'll be clean then :)

(Also another cool thing, I went back to the fox I got the skull from and snagged a claw and two vertebrates, and tomorrow I'll be going back to get some of the ribs! I also found an unidentified bone that may gave been either from a fox or a raccoon)
@BeeFuzz thank you very much for checking! Hopefully soon they'll be clean then :)

(Also another cool thing, I went back to the fox I got the skull from and snagged a claw and two vertebrates, and tomorrow I'll be going back to get some of the ribs! I also found an unidentified bone that may gave been either from a fox or a raccoon)
OvgrUjj.png
@lithiumdream

Scavenging is hard to give tips on, other than learning to be observant, following your noise and carrion birds (vultures, ravens, whatever it might be in your area)

There are a lot of ways to clean bones, but ultimately the main steps would be removing the flesh from the bones, then degreasing, then sanitization.

If you want to get bones out of a dead animal, you have to rot it down. I used to bury the animal in bags, now I recommend maceration. maceration is just sticking the animals in water and letting that rot the animal down. Using those 5 gallon buckets with lids is best.

Degreasing and cleaning the bones come after the flesh is all gone (which might take some scarping with used tooth brushes and whatnot). Most of us amateurs just degrease by sticking the bones in water with Dawn dish detergent, but pros use dawn dish detergent with a heater. It creates high quality skulls, but not necessary.

Then sanitizing, which is done best with drug store 3% hydrogen peroxide. Just plop the bones in some for a few days, and they'll whiten too

Here is the blog of a big pioneer of bone collecting, she has great info
@lithiumdream

Scavenging is hard to give tips on, other than learning to be observant, following your noise and carrion birds (vultures, ravens, whatever it might be in your area)

There are a lot of ways to clean bones, but ultimately the main steps would be removing the flesh from the bones, then degreasing, then sanitization.

If you want to get bones out of a dead animal, you have to rot it down. I used to bury the animal in bags, now I recommend maceration. maceration is just sticking the animals in water and letting that rot the animal down. Using those 5 gallon buckets with lids is best.

Degreasing and cleaning the bones come after the flesh is all gone (which might take some scarping with used tooth brushes and whatnot). Most of us amateurs just degrease by sticking the bones in water with Dawn dish detergent, but pros use dawn dish detergent with a heater. It creates high quality skulls, but not necessary.

Then sanitizing, which is done best with drug store 3% hydrogen peroxide. Just plop the bones in some for a few days, and they'll whiten too

Here is the blog of a big pioneer of bone collecting, she has great info
@LizardKing

I found a dead! Picked maceration as my method, hope the thing doesn't need to be skinned because I just threw that sucker in the water
@LizardKing

I found a dead! Picked maceration as my method, hope the thing doesn't need to be skinned because I just threw that sucker in the water
@BeeFuzz

Nah I realized maceration is amazing, you don't need to skin it. You might get some clumps of fur, and some larger peicies of tissue of you don't wait long enough, but tbh you can get that with every other method

So what did you get this is exciting
@BeeFuzz

Nah I realized maceration is amazing, you don't need to skin it. You might get some clumps of fur, and some larger peicies of tissue of you don't wait long enough, but tbh you can get that with every other method

So what did you get this is exciting
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36 37