Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Question for those with OCs!
1 2
Tbh I don't really see why.
If they're part of a story it's one thing, that's about the quality of the writing and how it affects the book.
But if they're not being published like that I can't think of a reason why they SHOULD be. They COULD, and that could be good for some people's uses of their ocs, but I wouldn't go up to a person and tell them what to do with theirs.
Tbh I don't really see why.
If they're part of a story it's one thing, that's about the quality of the writing and how it affects the book.
But if they're not being published like that I can't think of a reason why they SHOULD be. They COULD, and that could be good for some people's uses of their ocs, but I wouldn't go up to a person and tell them what to do with theirs.
tumblr_n8h81aIYJy1si697do4_500.png
Characters tend to develop themselves as you write them. You could start with some basic information about their history and maybe a little bit of personality, and throw them into a situation and see how they react to it.
Characters tend to develop themselves as you write them. You could start with some basic information about their history and maybe a little bit of personality, and throw them into a situation and see how they react to it.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
Of course not! There are no rules for what to do with your own OCs. It's not like it's immoral to not develop them

Besides, art is just a series of decisions made by the creator that result in different experiences for the audience. So you make decisions based on what experience you want the audience to have; anything goes, if it helps your art produce the reactions you’re looking for. Those blogs and tutorials are typically just opinions on what are the best ways to produce the reactions that most writers are looking for- usually a sympathetic, meaningful character, but even in published books and video games "sympathetic" or "meaningful" aren't always necessary or useful to have.

The only time when there are actually any sort of “rules” would be if you’re planning to go into an industry that wants to see you do those kinds of things.
Of course not! There are no rules for what to do with your own OCs. It's not like it's immoral to not develop them

Besides, art is just a series of decisions made by the creator that result in different experiences for the audience. So you make decisions based on what experience you want the audience to have; anything goes, if it helps your art produce the reactions you’re looking for. Those blogs and tutorials are typically just opinions on what are the best ways to produce the reactions that most writers are looking for- usually a sympathetic, meaningful character, but even in published books and video games "sympathetic" or "meaningful" aren't always necessary or useful to have.

The only time when there are actually any sort of “rules” would be if you’re planning to go into an industry that wants to see you do those kinds of things.
Accent_Banner.pngHatchery_Banner.png
35674625.png36307371.png
@Alkyona Your ocs can be as perfect or as perfectly imperfect as you want. They're your's and you can do what you want with them, if they make you happy that's the whole point of having them.

A person's imagination is special and shouldn't have to conform to "rules" other people make up. If someone tells you that you can't create whatever oc you want to because of whatever rules they think you need to follow they are in the wrong. It's your imagination and you can do whatever you want with it.
@Alkyona Your ocs can be as perfect or as perfectly imperfect as you want. They're your's and you can do what you want with them, if they make you happy that's the whole point of having them.

A person's imagination is special and shouldn't have to conform to "rules" other people make up. If someone tells you that you can't create whatever oc you want to because of whatever rules they think you need to follow they are in the wrong. It's your imagination and you can do whatever you want with it.
Posting to say that I've been reading everyone's responses so far, thanks for stopping by everyone!
Posting to say that I've been reading everyone's responses so far, thanks for stopping by everyone!
Nocta | she/they | +10 FR time
"Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope."
6pMAXtp.jpg
Welllllll, as a newly-published author who had half a million OCs before I published, I'd say strive to it if that's what you desire. I did for the sole fact that I knew that they might've actually gone somewhere and I'm kinda an insane perfectionist. If you're writing fanfiction on the internet and you want to try to be seen, then you might want to try to make them higher-quality. If it's for your own good, do whatever you want!

The beauty of creating an OC is that you have full power and this character is all yours. You can make them a super galactic space monkey that lives on Gallifrey if you want. Do whatever seems natural to you and go crazy!

Lesson? Do whatever the heck you want and try to consider your audience (if you have any).

//coming from a person with 40 OCs for a singular series, help me
Welllllll, as a newly-published author who had half a million OCs before I published, I'd say strive to it if that's what you desire. I did for the sole fact that I knew that they might've actually gone somewhere and I'm kinda an insane perfectionist. If you're writing fanfiction on the internet and you want to try to be seen, then you might want to try to make them higher-quality. If it's for your own good, do whatever you want!

The beauty of creating an OC is that you have full power and this character is all yours. You can make them a super galactic space monkey that lives on Gallifrey if you want. Do whatever seems natural to you and go crazy!

Lesson? Do whatever the heck you want and try to consider your audience (if you have any).

//coming from a person with 40 OCs for a singular series, help me
4fhnuyq.gif.................

- Serena - she/her - ENTJ - author-
Hi, I love the stars and I'm not in Arcane, shocker.
Dragon Search Thread
Wishlist
FR time +2
mK4Wrg9.giftGcXdLv.gif
F8WMfQz.pngeGiN2Xv.png
Entirely depends on the person. A lot of my OCs are relatively developed (Kohaku more so because he's my chewing toy.) I enjoy coming up with backstories and stuff because I just care a lot about minutia that most people don't care about (singing voices, what they do for breakfast, and junk like that.) Probably because I'm a weird little completionist and am easily amused by these little details. But I usually have enough of a backstory to pitch said character, especially if I plan on writing them in games and stuff. Keeps me on task and lets the other party know what to expect. Would I like to make my own story with them? Sure. Am I there/have the confidence? I'll get back to that later.

Siding with @lamarqueisdead in that, in my experience too, that characters just sort of write themselves when you give them room to. It can be pretty surprising where they choose to go.

Also congrats to @Alphanix for getting published :D That's awesome!
Entirely depends on the person. A lot of my OCs are relatively developed (Kohaku more so because he's my chewing toy.) I enjoy coming up with backstories and stuff because I just care a lot about minutia that most people don't care about (singing voices, what they do for breakfast, and junk like that.) Probably because I'm a weird little completionist and am easily amused by these little details. But I usually have enough of a backstory to pitch said character, especially if I plan on writing them in games and stuff. Keeps me on task and lets the other party know what to expect. Would I like to make my own story with them? Sure. Am I there/have the confidence? I'll get back to that later.

Siding with @lamarqueisdead in that, in my experience too, that characters just sort of write themselves when you give them room to. It can be pretty surprising where they choose to go.

Also congrats to @Alphanix for getting published :D That's awesome!
1 2