Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anime Recommendations?
1 2 3
Hi there! You can call me Ru!

I am having a difficult time finding a new anime series (or possibly western animated series) to watch. I was hoping some people here might be able to give me some recommendations!
It needs to be something that I can buy in physical format online somewhere (DVD or Blu-Ray) as I have a data limit and cannot stream anything.

I haven't seen a ton of anime, but I have watched and loved Ghibli films since I was a kid.

Recently I watched Michiko & Hatchin (/ Michiko to Hatchin) and it is hands down my favorite anime series of all time. I love that show and ever since I've been seeking another series that gives me the same feeling.

What I loved about Michiko & Hatchin was that it felt natural. It felt like I could have been watching a live action TV series, which was great. It had phenomenal character development and compelling characters. I love having a bad*** female protagonist. The romantic elements were there but were not the driving force and all-in-all were not super important.

Let me list a few of my favorite anime (& other animated series) and maybe someone can help point me in the right direction!

TV Series:
  • 1. Michiko & Hatchin
  • 2. The Legend of Korra (ATLA was good too {I love the ATLA universe!}, but I loved Korra due more b/c of the characters)

---(large gap)---
  • Samurai Champloo (I loved the setting mostly. Characters were interesting, but some were one-note and I didn't like the overarching plot. Nothing really surprised me.)
  • Beck/Mongolian Chop Squad (I loved the character development. I liked that there was romantic elements but they took a back seat to the rest of the plot. I wasn't a big fan of the setting or many of the characters themselves.)
  • Cowboy Bebop (liked the overall "feel" and the characters but the plot wasn't terribly interesting to me)

Films:
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (I loved everything about this movie and it remains to be one of my favorite films. The characters, "real" feel, and extremely interesting setting/plot. Incredible!)
  • Spirited Away (Ghibli never disappoints, and this is no exception. The setting was my favorite thing about this film, but the characters were incredible too.)

Here is the link to my AnimeList

What I'm looking for the most in any anime is:
  • Compelling Characters/Good Character Development
  • Interesting Setting (historical, fantasy, real-world, etc. just NO MECHS please)
  • Bonus Points for cool Female Lead!

I have heard Fullmetal Alchemist thrown around a lot for people who love Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra, but honestly I am not interested at all in FMA. Primarily only because the protagonists don't interest me. I have tried multiple times but I just can't get into it.

Once again, any recommendations NEED to be available to purchase online in PHYSICAL FORMAT (DVD or Blu-Ray) as I cannot stream anything.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations!
Hi there! You can call me Ru!

I am having a difficult time finding a new anime series (or possibly western animated series) to watch. I was hoping some people here might be able to give me some recommendations!
It needs to be something that I can buy in physical format online somewhere (DVD or Blu-Ray) as I have a data limit and cannot stream anything.

I haven't seen a ton of anime, but I have watched and loved Ghibli films since I was a kid.

Recently I watched Michiko & Hatchin (/ Michiko to Hatchin) and it is hands down my favorite anime series of all time. I love that show and ever since I've been seeking another series that gives me the same feeling.

What I loved about Michiko & Hatchin was that it felt natural. It felt like I could have been watching a live action TV series, which was great. It had phenomenal character development and compelling characters. I love having a bad*** female protagonist. The romantic elements were there but were not the driving force and all-in-all were not super important.

Let me list a few of my favorite anime (& other animated series) and maybe someone can help point me in the right direction!

TV Series:
  • 1. Michiko & Hatchin
  • 2. The Legend of Korra (ATLA was good too {I love the ATLA universe!}, but I loved Korra due more b/c of the characters)

---(large gap)---
  • Samurai Champloo (I loved the setting mostly. Characters were interesting, but some were one-note and I didn't like the overarching plot. Nothing really surprised me.)
  • Beck/Mongolian Chop Squad (I loved the character development. I liked that there was romantic elements but they took a back seat to the rest of the plot. I wasn't a big fan of the setting or many of the characters themselves.)
  • Cowboy Bebop (liked the overall "feel" and the characters but the plot wasn't terribly interesting to me)

Films:
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (I loved everything about this movie and it remains to be one of my favorite films. The characters, "real" feel, and extremely interesting setting/plot. Incredible!)
  • Spirited Away (Ghibli never disappoints, and this is no exception. The setting was my favorite thing about this film, but the characters were incredible too.)

Here is the link to my AnimeList

What I'm looking for the most in any anime is:
  • Compelling Characters/Good Character Development
  • Interesting Setting (historical, fantasy, real-world, etc. just NO MECHS please)
  • Bonus Points for cool Female Lead!

I have heard Fullmetal Alchemist thrown around a lot for people who love Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra, but honestly I am not interested at all in FMA. Primarily only because the protagonists don't interest me. I have tried multiple times but I just can't get into it.

Once again, any recommendations NEED to be available to purchase online in PHYSICAL FORMAT (DVD or Blu-Ray) as I cannot stream anything.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations!
Fate/Zero is amazing! You can watch it as long as you have internet access or you can order it. [img]http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/2ee05df6e44530437069955b71f09daf1317839234_full.jpg[/img]
Fate/Zero is amazing! You can watch it as long as you have internet access or you can order it.

2ee05df6e44530437069955b71f09daf1317839234_full.jpg
@rukka

How about Spice and Wolf? I have the first season on DVD. It's a story about a traveling merchant and a wolf deity of harvest traveling the world towards north to the deity's birthplace. The story explores both economic and romantic themes while staying light-hearted enough, but I wouldn't call this anime fast-paced. It has lots of dialogue but at least I didn't feel like it was forced, on the contrary I really enjoyed the interaction between characters.

Well-written female leads are hard to come by but I can always recommend Sailor Moon, both the original anime and the Sailor Moon Crystal remake. I think they released a remastered DVD box of the original anime a couple years back? It's a story about middle school girls who transform into "sailor soldiers" to fight the evil. While it's a cliched world saving story it also explores the different backgrounds and personalities of the main characters and celebrates their friendship. The original anime is longer and has more of the weekly monsters while Crystal is more story focused and follows more strictly the plot of the original manga.
@rukka

How about Spice and Wolf? I have the first season on DVD. It's a story about a traveling merchant and a wolf deity of harvest traveling the world towards north to the deity's birthplace. The story explores both economic and romantic themes while staying light-hearted enough, but I wouldn't call this anime fast-paced. It has lots of dialogue but at least I didn't feel like it was forced, on the contrary I really enjoyed the interaction between characters.

Well-written female leads are hard to come by but I can always recommend Sailor Moon, both the original anime and the Sailor Moon Crystal remake. I think they released a remastered DVD box of the original anime a couple years back? It's a story about middle school girls who transform into "sailor soldiers" to fight the evil. While it's a cliched world saving story it also explores the different backgrounds and personalities of the main characters and celebrates their friendship. The original anime is longer and has more of the weekly monsters while Crystal is more story focused and follows more strictly the plot of the original manga.
2h6gdhe.gif
Can't recommend any good anime, but if you haven't already seen it, check out gravity falls! its a bit childish (as are most cartoons) but the characters are great, and its an overall amazing show.

Can't recommend any good anime, but if you haven't already seen it, check out gravity falls! its a bit childish (as are most cartoons) but the characters are great, and its an overall amazing show.

pixil_gif_drawing.gifpixil_gif_drawing_4.gif
@rukka [b]Yona of the dawn[/b] sounds like something you might like :) Its got a female lead and though while she starts so annoying (>.>) due to being a spoiled child, it actually highlights how much character growth she gets since you seen just how drastic she changes due to spoiler spoiler spoiler xD (so its like watching her grow from the ground up) The show has a more "Here is the plot and thus the reason why we are doing these things" with it feeling like background thing (after drastic spoiler spoiler spoiler happens in episode 1. Seriously, I swear it gets better) to me with it focusing a lot more on character development and interactions. I'm pretty sure its not a historical show but its ancient setting (times of rulers and so on) makes it feel like it is historical feel? Is that something? xD http://49.media.tumblr.com/bef175fc5ff0ae98e967af5f99c88a49/tumblr_ntn6ahKljj1ucukuwo8_250.gif No mechs guaranteed :3 For the most part its real-world (with only.... 4 people having slightly magical powers that are I guess more normal scale of [i]slight[/i] advantages and not "I am so OP lets see who can destroy a town first, Mwhahahah" powers) action adventure thats...... [i]technically[/i] a harem? And I say 'technically' because while there is a large male to 1 main girl ratio, its not 100% revolving around romance like you genetically expect. The only romance you see is one that [spoiler]breaks into a million itty bitty pieces[/spoiler], one thats most times isnt noticeable and [spoiler]hidden under I will protect you and you will survive motto most of the time[/spoiler]. I mean its their but for the most part (other then a few times) its not even noticeable or is even joked about/rare serious moments of [spoiler]said reallllllly bad heart break because you know the one you loved killed someone really big deal.[/spoiler] Atmosphere for the most part is comedy related (or just light) generally when their isnt any serious fighting that needs to happen or character development scenes. Haku is my favorite characters just because I end up laughing at his antics most of the time xD [img]http://data.whicdn.com/images/219873596/original.gif[/img] [img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d3/eb/10/d3eb10649ef6b5c12301cd193d89b9fe.jpg[/img] [center][s]Yes, I blab a lot and also the silly squirrel to your far right is also from yona of the dawn xD *note, look down*[/s][/center]
@rukka

Yona of the dawn sounds like something you might like :)
Its got a female lead and though while she starts so annoying (>.>) due to being a spoiled child, it actually highlights how much character growth she gets since you seen just how drastic she changes due to spoiler spoiler spoiler xD
(so its like watching her grow from the ground up)

The show has a more "Here is the plot and thus the reason why we are doing these things" with it feeling like background thing (after drastic spoiler spoiler spoiler happens in episode 1. Seriously, I swear it gets better) to me with it focusing a lot more on character development and interactions.

I'm pretty sure its not a historical show but its ancient setting (times of rulers and so on) makes it feel like it is historical feel? Is that something? xD
http://49.media.tumblr.com/bef175fc5ff0ae98e967af5f99c88a49/tumblr_ntn6ahKljj1ucukuwo8_250.gif

No mechs guaranteed :3
For the most part its real-world (with only.... 4 people having slightly magical powers that are I guess more normal scale of slight advantages and not "I am so OP lets see who can destroy a town first, Mwhahahah" powers) action adventure thats...... technically a harem?
And I say 'technically' because while there is a large male to 1 main girl ratio, its not 100% revolving around romance like you genetically expect. The only romance you see is one that breaks into a million itty bitty pieces, one thats most times isnt noticeable and hidden under I will protect you and you will survive motto most of the time. I mean its their but for the most part (other then a few times) its not even noticeable or is even joked about/rare serious moments of said reallllllly bad heart break because you know the one you loved killed someone really big deal.

Atmosphere for the most part is comedy related (or just light) generally when their isnt any serious fighting that needs to happen or character development scenes.

Haku is my favorite characters just because I end up laughing at his antics most of the time xD
original.gif
d3eb10649ef6b5c12301cd193d89b9fe.jpg

Yes, I blab a lot and also the silly squirrel to your far right is also from yona of the dawn xD *note, look down*
@rukka
Ghost in the Shell (basically all kinds but ARISE and that live action american movie. Keep in mind that they're all in different universes. While there are robots they are almost all tanks/helicopters/your opinion on how far an android can go before they aren't a robot, there is all of one actual mech that appears and it's a much more realistic power suit. Also, the music for Stand Alone Complex is mostly done by Yoko Kanno.)
Outlaw Star (Similar world to Cowboy Bebop.)
Trigun (You'll enjoy the characters.)

@FafnirKnight The only other thing for well-written female characters I can think of is Bubblegum Crisis/Crash, but that depends on how you think of them (probably not for OP, the power suits may make one think Mecha).
@rukka
Ghost in the Shell (basically all kinds but ARISE and that live action american movie. Keep in mind that they're all in different universes. While there are robots they are almost all tanks/helicopters/your opinion on how far an android can go before they aren't a robot, there is all of one actual mech that appears and it's a much more realistic power suit. Also, the music for Stand Alone Complex is mostly done by Yoko Kanno.)
Outlaw Star (Similar world to Cowboy Bebop.)
Trigun (You'll enjoy the characters.)

@FafnirKnight The only other thing for well-written female characters I can think of is Bubblegum Crisis/Crash, but that depends on how you think of them (probably not for OP, the power suits may make one think Mecha).
My writing project.
@rukka Noragami is great :D I reccomend it. And if you like cool characters, she's not the main protaganist, but Bishamon is pretty awesome later on in it!
@rukka Noragami is great :D I reccomend it. And if you like cool characters, she's not the main protaganist, but Bishamon is pretty awesome later on in it!
73127854.png
Lonely, shy & in need of friends? Read Misaki's Bio.

Item Wishlist | [LF] Pearl XXY/XYY G1 (M), Sanguine XXY, XYY G1 (M)
This may be because I recently watched it again but Madoka Magica yo.

Its a magical girl anime, so strong female lead. The character development is pretty good for a series of twelve episodes.

And its a series that will just rip your heart out and stomp on it.
This may be because I recently watched it again but Madoka Magica yo.

Its a magical girl anime, so strong female lead. The character development is pretty good for a series of twelve episodes.

And its a series that will just rip your heart out and stomp on it.
Can't you hear the bells singing along?
You all hear it on the radio
Can't you see the hero coming home?
Can't you hear the bells
677.png967.png23821.png
(this is copied & pasted from another thread with minor edits) I just finished [b]Mob Psycho 100[/b] and i loved it to DEATH. I am incredibly picky with my animes (i cant stand fanservice, romantic subplots, or far-fetched powers (which is why i generally dont like superhero stuff either)) but,,, it was so good. SO GOOD. it's a bit of everything: funny, painful... the main character is very relatable and there are some good messages in it too. the animation is incredible too. at first it doesnt seem like much: [img]https://d2o0lqd7mznn7n.cloudfront.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MOB-PSYCHO-100-BLOG.jpg[/img] but when the fights get goin... o man.. [i]oh boy[/i]. [img]http://i.imgbox.com/LyLgetfU.gif[/img][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/dcf52b6184c049a38af8c84b5d59d30c/tumblr_o2nln4ksxl1se015qo1_500.gif[/img] it is by the same guy who wrote [b]one punch man[/b] (which i recommend if you havent seen that yet)! the premise is very different... with only 12 episodes, there is a surprising amount of character development!! the whole show is centered around self-improvement & what makes someone ""special"" or ""popular."" it's a bit difficult to explain tbh i dont believe the dvd is out yet, but last time i checked it is available to pre-order on amazon! EDIT: I second [b]Madoka Magica[/b]! I enjoyed it a lot when I watched it, but it has fallen a bit out of favor for me. But that was also after cosplaying one of the characters for three years... so many memes & puns yelled at me (not mean, just... guys pls ive heard "dont lose your head" a million times STOP) [b] Soul Eater[/b] is good, but has a solid amount of fanservice. mainly of just certain characters. the animation is nice, with a great cast of characters that develop immensely. Quite a few strong female characters in it (leads too)!
(this is copied & pasted from another thread with minor edits)

I just finished Mob Psycho 100 and i loved it to DEATH.
I am incredibly picky with my animes (i cant stand fanservice, romantic subplots, or far-fetched powers (which is why i generally dont like superhero stuff either)) but,,, it was so good. SO GOOD. it's a bit of everything: funny, painful... the main character is very relatable and there are some good messages in it too. the animation is incredible too. at first it doesnt seem like much:
MOB-PSYCHO-100-BLOG.jpg

but when the fights get goin... o man.. oh boy.
LyLgetfU.giftumblr_o2nln4ksxl1se015qo1_500.gif

it is by the same guy who wrote one punch man (which i recommend if you havent seen that yet)!

the premise is very different... with only 12 episodes, there is a surprising amount of character development!! the whole show is centered around self-improvement & what makes someone ""special"" or ""popular."" it's a bit difficult to explain tbh

i dont believe the dvd is out yet, but last time i checked it is available to pre-order on amazon!

EDIT: I second Madoka Magica! I enjoyed it a lot when I watched it, but it has fallen a bit out of favor for me. But that was also after cosplaying one of the characters for three years... so many memes & puns yelled at me (not mean, just... guys pls ive heard "dont lose your head" a million times STOP)

Soul Eater
is good, but has a solid amount of fanservice. mainly of just certain characters. the animation is nice, with a great cast of characters that develop immensely. Quite a few strong female characters in it (leads too)!
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
I guess Mecha is generally alright. I'm not completely opposed to everything with any semblance of mechs. I just don't really care for anime like Gundam where its a lot of giant robots fighting. :/

@Hyoid
I feel as though I've heard of Fate/Zero! What is the setting/plot?

@FafnirKnight
Spice and Wolf seems like it could be good. I know this is going to sound shallow, but I have trouble with the art style, if that makes sense? It would be a little bit difficult for me to get past, but if the story and characters are otherwise compelling than I could get over it quickly. (I did with Beck/Mongolian Chop Squad).
Sailor Moon! Everyone talks about it. All of my friends love it. I don't know why I've never given it a try. How long is the series (how many episodes?)? Do you know?

@WoofPotato
Thank you for reminding me of Gravity Falls! I am from the PNW so I've always felt like I needed to see that show. I love Adventure Time, Regular Show, Over the Garden Wall, and I've been meaning to give Steven Universe a try as well. So naturally, Gravity Falls should be on my list.

@chocomonster
Thank you for your detailed reply! This looks like something that could seriously interest me. Cool setting and plot, interesting seeming characters, and some comedy thrown in is a plus! I'm going to have to find a way to watch Yona of the Dawn, haha.

@Chronosplit
I've been curious about Ghost in Shell since I was in middle school because I used to listen to the Stand Alone Complex soundtrack a lot. Awesome music! Where would be a good place to start with Ghost in the Shell? As an outsider looking in, all of the adaptations are confusing, haha
Also, Trigun is something I've been meaning to watch because a friend of mine is a big fan! & I've never heard of Outlaw Star! Is it space bounty hunters like Cowboy Bebop?

@kyrin18
Noragami is one that I've seen mentioned elsewhere when looking for series similar to my interests. Thank you for the tip! What is the setting?

@SburbanNightmare
I hadn't heard of Madoka Magica, but for some reason it's giving me Read or Die vibes (which is a good thing because Read or Die is another one I've been wanting to watch but haven't had a way to be able to yet). Do you know if it's similar?
Also, having my heart ripped out and stomped on is something I'm ALWAYS looking for in tv series (and video games for that matter), haha! I'm not even kidding. I'm always looking for anything that can have an emotional impact.
I guess Mecha is generally alright. I'm not completely opposed to everything with any semblance of mechs. I just don't really care for anime like Gundam where its a lot of giant robots fighting. :/

@Hyoid
I feel as though I've heard of Fate/Zero! What is the setting/plot?

@FafnirKnight
Spice and Wolf seems like it could be good. I know this is going to sound shallow, but I have trouble with the art style, if that makes sense? It would be a little bit difficult for me to get past, but if the story and characters are otherwise compelling than I could get over it quickly. (I did with Beck/Mongolian Chop Squad).
Sailor Moon! Everyone talks about it. All of my friends love it. I don't know why I've never given it a try. How long is the series (how many episodes?)? Do you know?

@WoofPotato
Thank you for reminding me of Gravity Falls! I am from the PNW so I've always felt like I needed to see that show. I love Adventure Time, Regular Show, Over the Garden Wall, and I've been meaning to give Steven Universe a try as well. So naturally, Gravity Falls should be on my list.

@chocomonster
Thank you for your detailed reply! This looks like something that could seriously interest me. Cool setting and plot, interesting seeming characters, and some comedy thrown in is a plus! I'm going to have to find a way to watch Yona of the Dawn, haha.

@Chronosplit
I've been curious about Ghost in Shell since I was in middle school because I used to listen to the Stand Alone Complex soundtrack a lot. Awesome music! Where would be a good place to start with Ghost in the Shell? As an outsider looking in, all of the adaptations are confusing, haha
Also, Trigun is something I've been meaning to watch because a friend of mine is a big fan! & I've never heard of Outlaw Star! Is it space bounty hunters like Cowboy Bebop?

@kyrin18
Noragami is one that I've seen mentioned elsewhere when looking for series similar to my interests. Thank you for the tip! What is the setting?

@SburbanNightmare
I hadn't heard of Madoka Magica, but for some reason it's giving me Read or Die vibes (which is a good thing because Read or Die is another one I've been wanting to watch but haven't had a way to be able to yet). Do you know if it's similar?
Also, having my heart ripped out and stomped on is something I'm ALWAYS looking for in tv series (and video games for that matter), haha! I'm not even kidding. I'm always looking for anything that can have an emotional impact.
1 2 3