Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | FR Paleontology Discussion
1 2 3
I live in germany so we have mostly more mundane fossils (read: boring) in our region.
I know we found some exciting dinosaurs like the holotypes of Juravenator and Archeopterxy, also tiny pterosaur.
But that's in Bavaria. And Bavaria is not really germany anymore XD

But seriously; I'd love to be more savy on dinosaurs but I am a little overwhelmed. I just don't know where to start? I know there are boring parts to it, and you've got to memorize things .I know the mundane fossils are pretty important, but not as rare XD
I live in germany so we have mostly more mundane fossils (read: boring) in our region.
I know we found some exciting dinosaurs like the holotypes of Juravenator and Archeopterxy, also tiny pterosaur.
But that's in Bavaria. And Bavaria is not really germany anymore XD

But seriously; I'd love to be more savy on dinosaurs but I am a little overwhelmed. I just don't know where to start? I know there are boring parts to it, and you've got to memorize things .I know the mundane fossils are pretty important, but not as rare XD

0PSsH9E.png

Xzuw0kv.gif
We are being watched.
The government has a secret system,
a machine that spies on you every hour of every day.
I designed the machine to detect acts of terror
but it sees everything...
dyNkCVG.gif Pvj9w5p.png

uU6ZmcR.gif
@LizardKing

I was up in Canada and got to hike around in the area! It was pretty darn cool. I WISH I could have done some excavation! I'm not trained in that kind of stuff though, so I'd probably hurt the fossils even if I got a chance.

They've got some nice fossils in the national park's visitor center though, which were great to get to look at!

@Violetah

Hey, nothing wrong with liking velociraptors! They're cool critters.

I've got some mixed feelings about feathered T. rex... I really like feathered dinosaurs and would love it if T. rex was completely fluffy, but we don't know enough to be sure. We know other tyrannosaurs had feathers, so T. rex probably did too, but I never know how feathered to imagine them.

The preserved skin impressions of scales also don't exclude the presence of feathers... just makes things more complicated!

Yi qi is also the coolest dinosaur discovered recently in my opinion. Lovely little wyverns!

I think if I was to go anywhere to look at fossils, I'd go to Australia. Way too hot there, but there are some well preserved early fishes down there, which are really interesting to me!
@LizardKing

I was up in Canada and got to hike around in the area! It was pretty darn cool. I WISH I could have done some excavation! I'm not trained in that kind of stuff though, so I'd probably hurt the fossils even if I got a chance.

They've got some nice fossils in the national park's visitor center though, which were great to get to look at!

@Violetah

Hey, nothing wrong with liking velociraptors! They're cool critters.

I've got some mixed feelings about feathered T. rex... I really like feathered dinosaurs and would love it if T. rex was completely fluffy, but we don't know enough to be sure. We know other tyrannosaurs had feathers, so T. rex probably did too, but I never know how feathered to imagine them.

The preserved skin impressions of scales also don't exclude the presence of feathers... just makes things more complicated!

Yi qi is also the coolest dinosaur discovered recently in my opinion. Lovely little wyverns!

I think if I was to go anywhere to look at fossils, I'd go to Australia. Way too hot there, but there are some well preserved early fishes down there, which are really interesting to me!
plague_banner.png
•they\them•
ACOZFAh.png
9hqcHsy.png
JvUa9ma.png
q7KYqlT.pngsnail.png
XDx3LEm.png
finfin6.gif
@Godspeed I recognize your problem haha! I live in the Netherlands, where everything deeper than 1 meter underground belongs to the state so there's no finding fossils here. We do have the Mosasaurus I believe? At least they're named after one of our rivers if I'm not wrong. The rest of the fossils here can be mammoths we fish from the sea, but that's it. We send our paleontologists to other countries for research and they bring back fossils for our natural history museum in Leiden. It's my favorite museum, and since a few months we have a Tyrannosaurus skeleton! I haven't seen it yet, tho

I went to Germany, my uncle has a small house for holidays there and we spent a week with him, and we went to a building site. There were many uncovered fossils just being treated as if it was regular dirt, and my uncle and I spent like 2 hours wandering around and looking at the fossils. He has a basket full of ammonites there now, and I have one ammonite here at home.

I have a question for other paleontology enthusiasts:
What do you think of cutting fossils in pieces for research? Like I've seen a documentary about dinosaur aging and they used a fossilized triceratops horn (?) and cut off a piece to see how it grew (I hope anyone understands this because I literally cannot describe things).
I've never felt comfortable with cutting off pieces of fossils, I like to keep them intact, but I know it is necessary for research.
@Godspeed I recognize your problem haha! I live in the Netherlands, where everything deeper than 1 meter underground belongs to the state so there's no finding fossils here. We do have the Mosasaurus I believe? At least they're named after one of our rivers if I'm not wrong. The rest of the fossils here can be mammoths we fish from the sea, but that's it. We send our paleontologists to other countries for research and they bring back fossils for our natural history museum in Leiden. It's my favorite museum, and since a few months we have a Tyrannosaurus skeleton! I haven't seen it yet, tho

I went to Germany, my uncle has a small house for holidays there and we spent a week with him, and we went to a building site. There were many uncovered fossils just being treated as if it was regular dirt, and my uncle and I spent like 2 hours wandering around and looking at the fossils. He has a basket full of ammonites there now, and I have one ammonite here at home.

I have a question for other paleontology enthusiasts:
What do you think of cutting fossils in pieces for research? Like I've seen a documentary about dinosaur aging and they used a fossilized triceratops horn (?) and cut off a piece to see how it grew (I hope anyone understands this because I literally cannot describe things).
I've never felt comfortable with cutting off pieces of fossils, I like to keep them intact, but I know it is necessary for research.
qZ2UtE7.gif
p1eyEj0.png Abundans cautela non nocet - one can never be too careful
Actus me invito factus non est meus actus - the act done by me against my will is not my act
We should totally invite Dr. Ross Gellar to join this discussion, just saying.
We should totally invite Dr. Ross Gellar to join this discussion, just saying.
SunsetMagnum.jpgFjgpNYm.png1j6wDhn.pngreHWBXk.png
@Strychnos

My favourite prehistoric animal is probably quetzalcoatlus, or lycaenops, or dunkleosteus... I can't decide. Masiakasaurus is my favourite dinosaur.

@Godspeed

Well, at least you guys have dinosaur fossils... Here in Finland, there's almost no fossils at all, except for some sea creatures in Åland. It's because we don't have much sedimentary rock here. :(
@Strychnos

My favourite prehistoric animal is probably quetzalcoatlus, or lycaenops, or dunkleosteus... I can't decide. Masiakasaurus is my favourite dinosaur.

@Godspeed

Well, at least you guys have dinosaur fossils... Here in Finland, there's almost no fossils at all, except for some sea creatures in Åland. It's because we don't have much sedimentary rock here. :(
Heh, I was going to look to see if there was a thread for this after I got home. Looks like I didn't need to.
My favorite dinosaur is Spinosaurus, my favorite prehistoric invertebrate is Anomalocaris, and my favorite prehistoric mammal is ground sloths in general. I haven't quite picked one in particular yet, but when I saw them at the La Brea Tar Pits Museum, I decided they were awesome. My favorite living animal is the crocodile, so when I heard of Armadillosuchus, it certainly peaked my interest.
I consider my knowledge to be rather shallow, and I can't seem to get myself to dig deeper.
Heh, I was going to look to see if there was a thread for this after I got home. Looks like I didn't need to.
My favorite dinosaur is Spinosaurus, my favorite prehistoric invertebrate is Anomalocaris, and my favorite prehistoric mammal is ground sloths in general. I haven't quite picked one in particular yet, but when I saw them at the La Brea Tar Pits Museum, I decided they were awesome. My favorite living animal is the crocodile, so when I heard of Armadillosuchus, it certainly peaked my interest.
I consider my knowledge to be rather shallow, and I can't seem to get myself to dig deeper.
Oooo I thought I posted here before? (???)

Anyways , I've been into paleontology since kindergarten and I still want to actually go into the professional wards of it. My favorite prehistoric creatures are Smilodon (haha , I'm basic I know) , Allosaurus ,Cryolophosaurus , and the dire wolf. I'm also a sucker for prehistoric figurines , too (sorry not sorry)
Oooo I thought I posted here before? (???)

Anyways , I've been into paleontology since kindergarten and I still want to actually go into the professional wards of it. My favorite prehistoric creatures are Smilodon (haha , I'm basic I know) , Allosaurus ,Cryolophosaurus , and the dire wolf. I'm also a sucker for prehistoric figurines , too (sorry not sorry)
DE4-CE494-C24-A-441-F-8809-5-B8-BFD08205-C.png| He/She | Autistic/ADHD| 3+ FR Time |
Awesome!
I've always wanted to be a paleontologist, ever since I was small
In kindergarten, my friends said they will be doctors, actors etc and I was like 'I'm gonna be a paleontologist' and no one else even knew what that was
I also remember getting mad at other kids for saying 'sharptooth' or 'longneck' instead of the correct Latin names
To the point where a kindergarten teacher tried to end the crisis with making a circle of chairs and then showing plastic dinosaurs to all the kids and telling them the Latin name, hoping that I'd be less angry about it... but then the teacher said Brontosaurus instead of Brachiosaurus and I got upset again, haha
Sadly, I lost track of it somewhere along the line
Awesome!
I've always wanted to be a paleontologist, ever since I was small
In kindergarten, my friends said they will be doctors, actors etc and I was like 'I'm gonna be a paleontologist' and no one else even knew what that was
I also remember getting mad at other kids for saying 'sharptooth' or 'longneck' instead of the correct Latin names
To the point where a kindergarten teacher tried to end the crisis with making a circle of chairs and then showing plastic dinosaurs to all the kids and telling them the Latin name, hoping that I'd be less angry about it... but then the teacher said Brontosaurus instead of Brachiosaurus and I got upset again, haha
Sadly, I lost track of it somewhere along the line
qR6otwA.png
@PrehistoryMaker
  • Yeah, that's what I'd imagine big theropods had; crests and manes used for display. Just imagine being charged by a T. rex, and as it gets close to you it flares the feathers on/around it's head to make itself look even bigger...
  • Yeah, the potential that Yi qi represents as possible bird evolution is so amazing. I mean, if they'd become the ancestors of modern birds dragons would actually exist!
  • China would be such an interesting place to work on fossils! All the feathered dinos and strange creatures being discovered there. Hell Creek would also be really cool, given it contains so many famous dinosaurs.

@LizardKing
That's really interesting that you got the teeth from different place. I guess that means that your state was underwater at one point. Fossil hunting in rivers sounds like something really interesting to do.
  • Yeah, feathered dinos are really cool. Land eagles I tell you! XD
  • Cute and cool is the best way to summarize Yi qi.

@KurtSwagner
Wow, such interesting prehistoric creatures! I hadn't heard about the ones from the late Triassic Chinle formation before, but looking them up I find it kind of funny one's a non-croc that looks like a croc and the other's a relative of the crocs that looks like a theropod XD
I had a feeling the first drawing was a Velociraptor for some reason, and I love the creepy goat eyes you gave the Nasuto. It looks realistic but so alien at the same time.
Yeah, fluffy baby Rex's I can also easily imagine. Being small, they'd probably need the insulation, like baby birds.
China, Alaska and Australia would be all really interesting places to look for fossils. They'd have such different dinosaurs, all being so far apart from each other.

@Strychnos
Yeah, I'd like to imagine they have at least some feathers, but we just don't have enough evidence to be 100% sure either way. Like you said, the skin impressions just make it a little more complicated.

Yep, Yi qi are little real-life wyverns! So awesome, and really shows the diversity of dinos.

Australia's pretty cool, and it isn't always hot down here! If you don't like the heat, come in winter instead :P I mean, just last week it was -7 C at 8 in the morning. The fossil fish are cool, though I'm not that interested in them. Saw a huge block of rock absolutely covered in fish impressions from Canowindra in a museum recently, and that town even has an Ancient Fish museum!

@PotateTheGreat
On cutting up fossils for research I can understand why it's done. I don't have much of a problem with it if the species has a tonne of fossils and the one being used isn't display quality, so it can inform people some other way. I'm not that comfortable about using fossils from species with very few fossils, because I can't help but wonder if the fossil might be accidentally destroyed in the process.
@PrehistoryMaker
  • Yeah, that's what I'd imagine big theropods had; crests and manes used for display. Just imagine being charged by a T. rex, and as it gets close to you it flares the feathers on/around it's head to make itself look even bigger...
  • Yeah, the potential that Yi qi represents as possible bird evolution is so amazing. I mean, if they'd become the ancestors of modern birds dragons would actually exist!
  • China would be such an interesting place to work on fossils! All the feathered dinos and strange creatures being discovered there. Hell Creek would also be really cool, given it contains so many famous dinosaurs.

@LizardKing
That's really interesting that you got the teeth from different place. I guess that means that your state was underwater at one point. Fossil hunting in rivers sounds like something really interesting to do.
  • Yeah, feathered dinos are really cool. Land eagles I tell you! XD
  • Cute and cool is the best way to summarize Yi qi.

@KurtSwagner
Wow, such interesting prehistoric creatures! I hadn't heard about the ones from the late Triassic Chinle formation before, but looking them up I find it kind of funny one's a non-croc that looks like a croc and the other's a relative of the crocs that looks like a theropod XD
I had a feeling the first drawing was a Velociraptor for some reason, and I love the creepy goat eyes you gave the Nasuto. It looks realistic but so alien at the same time.
Yeah, fluffy baby Rex's I can also easily imagine. Being small, they'd probably need the insulation, like baby birds.
China, Alaska and Australia would be all really interesting places to look for fossils. They'd have such different dinosaurs, all being so far apart from each other.

@Strychnos
Yeah, I'd like to imagine they have at least some feathers, but we just don't have enough evidence to be 100% sure either way. Like you said, the skin impressions just make it a little more complicated.

Yep, Yi qi are little real-life wyverns! So awesome, and really shows the diversity of dinos.

Australia's pretty cool, and it isn't always hot down here! If you don't like the heat, come in winter instead :P I mean, just last week it was -7 C at 8 in the morning. The fossil fish are cool, though I'm not that interested in them. Saw a huge block of rock absolutely covered in fish impressions from Canowindra in a museum recently, and that town even has an Ancient Fish museum!

@PotateTheGreat
On cutting up fossils for research I can understand why it's done. I don't have much of a problem with it if the species has a tonne of fossils and the one being used isn't display quality, so it can inform people some other way. I'm not that comfortable about using fossils from species with very few fossils, because I can't help but wonder if the fossil might be accidentally destroyed in the process.
WCaffsig.pngWChubsig.pngWCsigraffle.pngWCIFsig.png
SgonDOb.pngOvfZqTx.gif2im8gtl.png
I went to this cool paleontology show at a local garden/wildlife sanctuary two days ago: This awesome adolescent mosasaur skull, the paleontologist who found it/was working with the show hand pieced back together the whole thing, including that ocular bone. When I'm working with my skulls from fresh dead I normally lose the ocular bone, this was beautifully done: [img]http://i.imgur.com/IiHyh6f.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/T7mYeuC.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/aAv27AJ.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/jU9FjwA.jpg[/img] .................................... And in the same display as the mosasaur was this beautiful marine crocodile skull: [img]http://i.imgur.com/8pe5U4m.jpg[/img] ................ Cool Egg [img]http://i.imgur.com/suavWpW.jpg[/img] .................. Duck Billed dino bone, its annotated with bite wounds from a T rex and some skeletal damage from infection [img]http://i.imgur.com/LjPKthQ.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/YNxDjjp.jpg[/img] .............. and heres a kinda re-articulated foot, i took a picture of the just species name, but if you couldn't tell my phone camera is kinda sub par quality so if you really want to know i can try to decipher it [img]http://i.imgur.com/SOlLkmS.jpg[/img]
I went to this cool paleontology show at a local garden/wildlife sanctuary two days ago:

This awesome adolescent mosasaur skull, the paleontologist who found it/was working with the show hand pieced back together the whole thing, including that ocular bone. When I'm working with my skulls from fresh dead I normally lose the ocular bone, this was beautifully done:

IiHyh6f.jpg

T7mYeuC.jpg

aAv27AJ.jpg

jU9FjwA.jpg

And in the same display as the mosasaur was this beautiful marine crocodile skull:

8pe5U4m.jpg

Cool Egg

suavWpW.jpg

Duck Billed dino bone, its annotated with bite wounds from a T rex and some skeletal damage from infection

LjPKthQ.jpg

YNxDjjp.jpg

and heres a kinda re-articulated foot, i took a picture of the just species name, but if you couldn't tell my phone camera is kinda sub par quality so if you really want to know i can try to decipher it

SOlLkmS.jpg
1 2 3