Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Nonbinary stories
1 2 3
@DaniPhantom

A decent portion of the world building in my book is devoted to exploring how gender exists in the alien species, if it does exist at all. One of my main characters is an alien who's incredibly NB and uses he/him pronouns despite being closer to a demgirl then anything else (and the rest of his species is also pretty gender colorful).

I definitely agree with the whole thing about media and the Western gender binary, it drives me up the wall.

@Turnoroid

Hi I'm genderfluid/bigender/genderqueer but I usually just refer to myself as NB when I don't feel like explaining things. I don't know where you're from but it really sucks that people are treated that way there. Not that things are much better anywhere else, FR just happens to be a really accepting place.

I identify as male and female at the same time, but my gender also tips back and fourth between the two every so often (and I occasionally have agender-ish or neutrosis states, but don't consider myself agender or neutrosis). My transitioning is mostly transmasculine though, transitioning to pass as male is what would make me the most happy at the moment and I tend to overemphasize my masculine pronouns.
@DaniPhantom

A decent portion of the world building in my book is devoted to exploring how gender exists in the alien species, if it does exist at all. One of my main characters is an alien who's incredibly NB and uses he/him pronouns despite being closer to a demgirl then anything else (and the rest of his species is also pretty gender colorful).

I definitely agree with the whole thing about media and the Western gender binary, it drives me up the wall.

@Turnoroid

Hi I'm genderfluid/bigender/genderqueer but I usually just refer to myself as NB when I don't feel like explaining things. I don't know where you're from but it really sucks that people are treated that way there. Not that things are much better anywhere else, FR just happens to be a really accepting place.

I identify as male and female at the same time, but my gender also tips back and fourth between the two every so often (and I occasionally have agender-ish or neutrosis states, but don't consider myself agender or neutrosis). My transitioning is mostly transmasculine though, transitioning to pass as male is what would make me the most happy at the moment and I tend to overemphasize my masculine pronouns.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
@Lesley

Hello! You're writing a book? It's so cool! I'm a writer too and it makes me excited when I meet someone who likes to make their own stories. Can I read it somewhere in the Internet? The idea seems really interesting.

I've never met genderfluid before (I think it's 'cause of our country treatment) but I thought that I'm one of you earlier. When I was a bit confused and learned new words in the Internet about LGBT comunity.
@Lesley

Hello! You're writing a book? It's so cool! I'm a writer too and it makes me excited when I meet someone who likes to make their own stories. Can I read it somewhere in the Internet? The idea seems really interesting.

I've never met genderfluid before (I think it's 'cause of our country treatment) but I thought that I'm one of you earlier. When I was a bit confused and learned new words in the Internet about LGBT comunity.
mommabanner_by_leikatay-d8r9d9h.gif
i explored the possibility of being nb in freshman year, i began going by another gender neutral name, joined gsa... im kind of lucky in that respect. still not out everywhere, though
i explored the possibility of being nb in freshman year, i began going by another gender neutral name, joined gsa... im kind of lucky in that respect. still not out everywhere, though
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
Hi im nb and i started exploring my gender in freshman year because I found a very supportive friend group. I have not formally come out to my parents, but while they do use my preffered name and claim to be supportive, they try to reaffirm that I am a girl and try to talk me out of being how I am. I do plan to get top surgery once I'm in college, but I'm afraid of hrt.

Also, I'm very displeased with any representation we get. Aliens and monsters are counter productive, they brand us as strange, not human, and make us harder to take seriously.
I remember being so happy I cried when I saw Stevonnie from steven universe, but their character is also counter productive. They're 1/4 alien and only use they pronouns because they are two people. (Same with davepetasprite^2 from homestuck. They don't advence us at all in trying to normalize the singular use of they because they are. Two characters.)

The show billions has a (human!) nb character played by an nb actor!! Im going to watch it this summer and im rlly excited
Hi im nb and i started exploring my gender in freshman year because I found a very supportive friend group. I have not formally come out to my parents, but while they do use my preffered name and claim to be supportive, they try to reaffirm that I am a girl and try to talk me out of being how I am. I do plan to get top surgery once I'm in college, but I'm afraid of hrt.

Also, I'm very displeased with any representation we get. Aliens and monsters are counter productive, they brand us as strange, not human, and make us harder to take seriously.
I remember being so happy I cried when I saw Stevonnie from steven universe, but their character is also counter productive. They're 1/4 alien and only use they pronouns because they are two people. (Same with davepetasprite^2 from homestuck. They don't advence us at all in trying to normalize the singular use of they because they are. Two characters.)

The show billions has a (human!) nb character played by an nb actor!! Im going to watch it this summer and im rlly excited
they/them
2mzkv2f.png cvVqYlq.png
I'm agender! I first figured it out...I think it was like 8 years ago now, when I was 15? Pretty much the second I found out that nonbinary identities were a thing and read the definition of agender it clicked for me, like "oh yeah, no, that's me. that makes complete sense". Prior to that I'd never had any connection to being a girl or womanhood or anything else all throughout my life. I didn't consciously realize that I wasn't a girl because I knew I wasn't a boy either and didn't think there were any other options at the time, but it didn't mean anything to me beyond just...going into the bathroom marked for girls, grouping in with girls at school when teachers separated them from the boys, nothing more than that. Eventually I realized that I had no connection to gender at all and couldn't relate to people when they talked about what being a woman (or a man) meant and felt like for them. I had no frame of reference for what they were describing. Finding the term 'agender' put that into perspective and gave me a word for that and I haven't looked back since.
I'm agender! I first figured it out...I think it was like 8 years ago now, when I was 15? Pretty much the second I found out that nonbinary identities were a thing and read the definition of agender it clicked for me, like "oh yeah, no, that's me. that makes complete sense". Prior to that I'd never had any connection to being a girl or womanhood or anything else all throughout my life. I didn't consciously realize that I wasn't a girl because I knew I wasn't a boy either and didn't think there were any other options at the time, but it didn't mean anything to me beyond just...going into the bathroom marked for girls, grouping in with girls at school when teachers separated them from the boys, nothing more than that. Eventually I realized that I had no connection to gender at all and couldn't relate to people when they talked about what being a woman (or a man) meant and felt like for them. I had no frame of reference for what they were describing. Finding the term 'agender' put that into perspective and gave me a word for that and I haven't looked back since.
tumblr_otyh5kkff31vsg0m1o1_400.png
@Skwigelf

If it makes you feel better, there is a human NB character in my story as well, and a human transguy whos' also demiagender (it is a future where LGBT identities are generally accepted by everybody).

@Turnuroid

I have an (extremely) rough draft written up, but it's from a while ago and I'm not big on showing it to people because it doesn't really reflect my current idea for the story anymore, unfortunately. When I get around to editing and rewriting, I will definitely let you know though!
@Skwigelf

If it makes you feel better, there is a human NB character in my story as well, and a human transguy whos' also demiagender (it is a future where LGBT identities are generally accepted by everybody).

@Turnuroid

I have an (extremely) rough draft written up, but it's from a while ago and I'm not big on showing it to people because it doesn't really reflect my current idea for the story anymore, unfortunately. When I get around to editing and rewriting, I will definitely let you know though!
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
@Lesley
I will wait for it, friend. I really want to eead your book c:
@Lesley
I will wait for it, friend. I really want to eead your book c:
mommabanner_by_leikatay-d8r9d9h.gif
im honestly surprised by how lgbt friendly flight rising is tbh... it makes me so happy. anyway, about me!

i don't really have a gender label, i just go with non-binary... it feels like no labels really fit me. i started questioning my gender my senior year of high school, and got some backlash from one of my closest friends who thought i was just "faking it" (he said the same thing about being lesbian... we're not friends anymore lol). i started asking lgbt people i knew to use they/them pronouns for me and it just fit... i've tried out other gender neutral pronouns but they/them just stuck for me. i'm not really out to many irl people... i can count on one hand how many people know my pronouns in real life. i feel like it's a lot different than coming out as same-gender attracted
im honestly surprised by how lgbt friendly flight rising is tbh... it makes me so happy. anyway, about me!

i don't really have a gender label, i just go with non-binary... it feels like no labels really fit me. i started questioning my gender my senior year of high school, and got some backlash from one of my closest friends who thought i was just "faking it" (he said the same thing about being lesbian... we're not friends anymore lol). i started asking lgbt people i knew to use they/them pronouns for me and it just fit... i've tried out other gender neutral pronouns but they/them just stuck for me. i'm not really out to many irl people... i can count on one hand how many people know my pronouns in real life. i feel like it's a lot different than coming out as same-gender attracted
vonVRKR.png pYAz4OB.png hatchery | leveling
I think it's been a year now since I came out as nonbinary, and I honestly can't even remember when I thought I was a girl. My mom ended up being really supportive, as well as my (now) stepdad. My dad and stepmother weren't as supportive, and it became too toxic, so I ended up living with my mother instead.
But in reality, I think I've always known I wasn't a boy or a girl? I remember feeling so uncomfortable when people called me a girl, even though I had no reason to believe I was anything but a girl back then. Coming out was both anxious and relieving, and I honestly wish others lived in a good enough environment to come out.
Of course, I've received some weird comments, like a teacher who told me that pronouns didn't matter (like, of course they don't to you, you're literally a cis person who's never had to deal with this)

I'm also making an interactive text game with nonbinary representation, if anyone wants to try it out when I'm done?
I think it's been a year now since I came out as nonbinary, and I honestly can't even remember when I thought I was a girl. My mom ended up being really supportive, as well as my (now) stepdad. My dad and stepmother weren't as supportive, and it became too toxic, so I ended up living with my mother instead.
But in reality, I think I've always known I wasn't a boy or a girl? I remember feeling so uncomfortable when people called me a girl, even though I had no reason to believe I was anything but a girl back then. Coming out was both anxious and relieving, and I honestly wish others lived in a good enough environment to come out.
Of course, I've received some weird comments, like a teacher who told me that pronouns didn't matter (like, of course they don't to you, you're literally a cis person who's never had to deal with this)

I'm also making an interactive text game with nonbinary representation, if anyone wants to try it out when I'm done?
I realized I wasn't cis about a year ago. Idk why, but I didn't think I could be trans since of my irl friends already were. It was like I'd be faking or something. After a few years of constantly throwing around disclaimers about being cis, it began to stress me out bc of how unfitting it felt. Constantly calling myself a girl and cis etc around my trans friends made me realize that maybe I actually wasn't.

During health class that year, we had some people come in to talk to the "girls" about the specific cancers afab people could get, and the same thing to the "boys" for amab things. When we were split by "gender" the adults in my group kept calling us "ladies" "girls" etc and it was making me dissociate. I mentioned it to my nb friend who hadn't been in class that day and they were like "...why was it affecting you like that. you're cis." That's when it really clicked.

Tbh, I've never really felt any connection to gender at all. But I didn't feel like I was a boy or like I was some other gender, I just didn't feel like I had one. But that's how I thought everyone felt--especially because I'd rarely felt noticeable gender dysphoria before that year. Once I did start figuring things out, I felt gender euphoria and a lot of things starting making sense. I do experience dysphoria now but it's very minimal and usually only when I expect someone to call me by the name/pronouns I asked them to but they don't.

Personally, I don't like having any labels on my gender at all because gender just isn't a thing in my head at all. But if I have to use a label to explain it to others, it's "agender" because that's the label that sums up how I feel.

I'm glad this site is lgbtq friendly enough for me to meet other nbs~
I realized I wasn't cis about a year ago. Idk why, but I didn't think I could be trans since of my irl friends already were. It was like I'd be faking or something. After a few years of constantly throwing around disclaimers about being cis, it began to stress me out bc of how unfitting it felt. Constantly calling myself a girl and cis etc around my trans friends made me realize that maybe I actually wasn't.

During health class that year, we had some people come in to talk to the "girls" about the specific cancers afab people could get, and the same thing to the "boys" for amab things. When we were split by "gender" the adults in my group kept calling us "ladies" "girls" etc and it was making me dissociate. I mentioned it to my nb friend who hadn't been in class that day and they were like "...why was it affecting you like that. you're cis." That's when it really clicked.

Tbh, I've never really felt any connection to gender at all. But I didn't feel like I was a boy or like I was some other gender, I just didn't feel like I had one. But that's how I thought everyone felt--especially because I'd rarely felt noticeable gender dysphoria before that year. Once I did start figuring things out, I felt gender euphoria and a lot of things starting making sense. I do experience dysphoria now but it's very minimal and usually only when I expect someone to call me by the name/pronouns I asked them to but they don't.

Personally, I don't like having any labels on my gender at all because gender just isn't a thing in my head at all. But if I have to use a label to explain it to others, it's "agender" because that's the label that sums up how I feel.

I'm glad this site is lgbtq friendly enough for me to meet other nbs~
1 2 3