Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things in games that freak you out.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17
[quote name="Selki" date=2017-04-19 14:02:20] [quote name="NaettleLeaf" date=2017-04-19 13:58:16] The WORST part? The dungeons are randomly generated. So you never know where one will pop up. And if you're REALLY unlucky, then a monster house spawns in the room with the STAIRS to the next floor. [/quote] and especially when the stairs TAKE you to one of those rooms :P it's only happened to me once, but it's terrifying to drop into the room, notice all those Gummis, and realize what that means. A heartbeat later, enemies have surrounded you. [/quote] Monster houses were freaking HORRIFYING before i realized i could dispatch every enemy in the room at once with the team attack in GTI. I would just see all those items scattered everywhere in the little room before I entered and I'd just be like..damn..here we go Also the strange house in BW2. the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6X8astly1M]music[/url] is extremely spoopy
Selki wrote on 2017-04-19:
NaettleLeaf wrote on 2017-04-19:
The WORST part? The dungeons are randomly generated. So you never know where one will pop up.
And if you're REALLY unlucky, then a monster house spawns in the room with the STAIRS to the next floor.

and especially when the stairs TAKE you to one of those rooms :P it's only happened to me once, but it's terrifying to drop into the room, notice all those Gummis, and realize what that means. A heartbeat later, enemies have surrounded you.

Monster houses were freaking HORRIFYING before i realized i could dispatch every enemy in the room at once with the team attack in GTI. I would just see all those items scattered everywhere in the little room before I entered and I'd just be like..damn..here we go

Also the strange house in BW2. the music is extremely spoopy
xEyhnVi.gif
[quote name="TheFeatherMage" date=2017-04-21 18:33:33] going into a big boddy of water In real life, im terrified of big things underwater. And I know thats weirdly specific, but it just gives me the heebijeebis. Its why I can't play games like subnuatica. I might even be on top of the water, but the thought of something lurking underneath me... -shudder- [/quote] ^This, honestly^ Even that one part in Shadow of the Colossus when you have to fight Avion and there's that giant, seemingly bottomless lake. I don't remember anything being in the water, but I still couldn't bring myself to swim in it for the longest time...[s]looks at my unfinished Endless Ocean 2 save. Why did I even buy it despite my fears???[/s] Deep water is one way to make me stop playing a game that's for sure. Luckily, I don't mind watching other people go through it; it's like watching a horror movie for the thrill of it!
TheFeatherMage wrote on 2017-04-21:
going into a big boddy of water
In real life, im terrified of big things underwater. And I know thats weirdly specific, but it just gives me the heebijeebis. Its why I can't play games like subnuatica. I might even be on top of the water, but the thought of something lurking underneath me... -shudder-
^This, honestly^

Even that one part in Shadow of the Colossus when you have to fight Avion and there's that giant, seemingly bottomless lake. I don't remember anything being in the water, but I still couldn't bring myself to swim in it for the longest time...looks at my unfinished Endless Ocean 2 save. Why did I even buy it despite my fears??? Deep water is one way to make me stop playing a game that's for sure. Luckily, I don't mind watching other people go through it; it's like watching a horror movie for the thrill of it!
I can name enemies I hate all day long, but lately what's been really terrifying in Breath of the Wild: LIGHTNING. No, not from lightning-element enemies (which are no fun at all). Lightning storms. There's zero lightning physics in the game aside from metal attracts lightning. The most terrifying thing is to be running around in the rain and suddenly the ground in front of you explodes for no reason with a loud thunder crack. I was terrified of thunder IRL for years for a reason: it's a natural jumpscare. And that's all it is in Breath of the Wild. I've been outside in electrical storms. Lightning rarely touches the ground, and it certainly wouldn't hit right in front of you. It would hit a tree or a body of water or a high peak. And why does it have to be so bloody LOUD???
I can name enemies I hate all day long, but lately what's been really terrifying in Breath of the Wild: LIGHTNING. No, not from lightning-element enemies (which are no fun at all). Lightning storms. There's zero lightning physics in the game aside from metal attracts lightning. The most terrifying thing is to be running around in the rain and suddenly the ground in front of you explodes for no reason with a loud thunder crack. I was terrified of thunder IRL for years for a reason: it's a natural jumpscare. And that's all it is in Breath of the Wild. I've been outside in electrical storms. Lightning rarely touches the ground, and it certainly wouldn't hit right in front of you. It would hit a tree or a body of water or a high peak. And why does it have to be so bloody LOUD???
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
I'm a complete scaredy cat so I'm sure there's a ton of things I'm forgetting but:
- Swimming or being underwater. In Second Life I dropped my ball-with-a-cone-attached (I made it myself) into a river and decided to be brave and go get it. Someone else had dropped their massive Chinese dragon in the river too. I don't play Second Life anymore.
- Prolonged suspense. I tried the Resident Evil Revelations demo for 3DS and couldn't make it past picking up the second gun because I was giving myself a panic attack. Turn a corner? Nothing happens. Walk up to a huge portrait? Nothing happens. Open a door? Nothing happens. Pick up the gun? Nothing happens.
- The intro to Bioshock Infinite. It was either a trailer or someone else playing (can't remember) but I didn't expect the sudden horror shift. The town also got progressively more violent as you go along so there's no refuge anywhere.
- Suddenly spiders. I played Dungeons and Dragons Online once and the first dungeon was a crypt with spiders that would flip over and curl up when you kill them. Of course the camera got caught on the wall and zoomed in on it. I covered my eyes and kept pressing ESC until the game closed. My sister laughed at me.
- Falling spiders. Either they didn't say or I wasn't paying attention but in Tales of Zestira the first enemies you fight are spiders that sit on the ceiling. They hiss when you get close, then fall on you, and the battle starts by zooming in on them. I jumped and hit my knee on my desk.
- The battle start noise in Etrian Odyssey The Millennium Girl. I tried the demo and I'd jump every single time a battle triggered. I have EO4 and it doesn't bother me but that game would take years off my life.
I'm a complete scaredy cat so I'm sure there's a ton of things I'm forgetting but:
- Swimming or being underwater. In Second Life I dropped my ball-with-a-cone-attached (I made it myself) into a river and decided to be brave and go get it. Someone else had dropped their massive Chinese dragon in the river too. I don't play Second Life anymore.
- Prolonged suspense. I tried the Resident Evil Revelations demo for 3DS and couldn't make it past picking up the second gun because I was giving myself a panic attack. Turn a corner? Nothing happens. Walk up to a huge portrait? Nothing happens. Open a door? Nothing happens. Pick up the gun? Nothing happens.
- The intro to Bioshock Infinite. It was either a trailer or someone else playing (can't remember) but I didn't expect the sudden horror shift. The town also got progressively more violent as you go along so there's no refuge anywhere.
- Suddenly spiders. I played Dungeons and Dragons Online once and the first dungeon was a crypt with spiders that would flip over and curl up when you kill them. Of course the camera got caught on the wall and zoomed in on it. I covered my eyes and kept pressing ESC until the game closed. My sister laughed at me.
- Falling spiders. Either they didn't say or I wasn't paying attention but in Tales of Zestira the first enemies you fight are spiders that sit on the ceiling. They hiss when you get close, then fall on you, and the battle starts by zooming in on them. I jumped and hit my knee on my desk.
- The battle start noise in Etrian Odyssey The Millennium Girl. I tried the demo and I'd jump every single time a battle triggered. I have EO4 and it doesn't bother me but that game would take years off my life.
[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WEysEIXT7a0/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] [i]no thank youuuuu keep it away please[/i]
maxresdefault.jpg

no thank youuuuu

keep it away please
olly / 15
SPORE's Space stage constantly made me uneasy because you spend so much time in the vast blackness of space surrounded by little more than mostly empty stars and the squeaky crackling of mysterious radio signals.

And it's always a little bit freaky to see an astronomical object named a random combination of letters and numbers rather than a fantasy-sounding name like the other stars are - because then it's some weird "galactic phenomenon". Those always unnerved me because they were massive and surreal-looking. One of the phenomena appears to be some sort of supernova remnant, and when your tiny spaceship is rapidly orbiting a seething mass of yellow and red fire with a black hole in the middle...

And taking a black hole, because you'll never know where you'll end up. You might end up across the entire galaxy or, God forbid, in the center of the galaxy where the dreaded Grox live.

I may blame my fear of the emptiness of space on the SPORE Space stage.
SPORE's Space stage constantly made me uneasy because you spend so much time in the vast blackness of space surrounded by little more than mostly empty stars and the squeaky crackling of mysterious radio signals.

And it's always a little bit freaky to see an astronomical object named a random combination of letters and numbers rather than a fantasy-sounding name like the other stars are - because then it's some weird "galactic phenomenon". Those always unnerved me because they were massive and surreal-looking. One of the phenomena appears to be some sort of supernova remnant, and when your tiny spaceship is rapidly orbiting a seething mass of yellow and red fire with a black hole in the middle...

And taking a black hole, because you'll never know where you'll end up. You might end up across the entire galaxy or, God forbid, in the center of the galaxy where the dreaded Grox live.

I may blame my fear of the emptiness of space on the SPORE Space stage.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
@Mythie
That HL2 episode that had you stranded in a narrow train full of those things screaming.

That was not good times.
@Mythie
That HL2 episode that had you stranded in a narrow train full of those things screaming.

That was not good times.
@Sandwich

And the fast zombies too

That game had plenty of nopes now that I think about it
@Sandwich

And the fast zombies too

That game had plenty of nopes now that I think about it
olly / 15
when you hear the dragon in skyrim before you see it [img]https://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/sewer-centipede-625x350.jpg[/img] these.. [i]things[/i] in Dark Souls 3 and also those freaky little beasts in Dead Space 1 that pop up out of nowhere and jump on you. Can't remember what they're called
when you hear the dragon in skyrim before you see it

sewer-centipede-625x350.jpg
these.. things in Dark Souls 3

and also those freaky little beasts in Dead Space 1 that pop up out of nowhere and jump on you. Can't remember what they're called
tumblr_inline_oowdreO2lw1rvo05a_540.png qerty_by_mashabelyankina-dawwvut.png
[quote name="TheFeatherMage" date=2017-04-21 18:33:33] going into a big boddy of water In real life, im terrified of big things underwater. And I know thats weirdly specific, but it just gives me the heebijeebis. Its why I can't play games like subnuatica. I might even be on top of the water, but the thought of something lurking underneath me... -shudder- [/quote] I HAVE THE SAME THING!!! But... in real life it's not that big of a problem going under water. In games it's more like a phobia I guess, so many times I have accidentally dropped in lake or something and boom, panic attack. (If I watch someone else playing and I know they are going under water I just close my eyes.) My boyfriend was playing Stranded deep and he was still on top of the water but because the water was so bright I could see the sharks and the reef I started to feel sick. But if I watch for example AnimalPlanet etc I'm kinda okay?? Why is it only in games?? I guess it is the so called 'pixel word' where anything can spawn everywhere without any signs of it coming.
TheFeatherMage wrote on 2017-04-21:
going into a big boddy of water
In real life, im terrified of big things underwater. And I know thats weirdly specific, but it just gives me the heebijeebis. Its why I can't play games like subnuatica. I might even be on top of the water, but the thought of something lurking underneath me... -shudder-

I HAVE THE SAME THING!!! But... in real life it's not that big of a problem going under water. In games it's more like a phobia I guess, so many times I have accidentally dropped in lake or something and boom, panic attack. (If I watch someone else playing and I know they are going under water I just close my eyes.) My boyfriend was playing Stranded deep and he was still on top of the water but because the water was so bright I could see the sharks and the reef I started to feel sick. But if I watch for example AnimalPlanet etc I'm kinda okay?? Why is it only in games?? I guess it is the so called 'pixel word' where anything can spawn everywhere without any signs of it coming.

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17