Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things in games that freak you out.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17
[img]http://www.ezimba.com/work/170419C/ezimba14055510410900.jpg[/img] [i]Deviljho, what bright eyes you have[/i]
ezimba14055510410900.jpg
Deviljho, what bright eyes you have
frsig_by_shadria_anarchy-dc719i3.png
@Lineko
I totally feel you on all those things from Zelda that you mentioned. I can barely even handle the Wind Waker redeads... Ech. The giant skulltulas from Twilight Princess can also heck right off along with the extra creepy Arbiter's Ground poes/gibdos.

And I usually kinda enjoy skedaddling away from random scary/strong enemies that pop up (in non-horror games anyway), but when they come with awful music like those spirits do, that takes it a step too far and it goes from fun game of outrun-the-monster tag to anxiety-inducing real quick.

Oh, and have you seen BotW wizzrobes up close? They give me the willies too...

Breaking away from Zelda, the ghost lady in the sunken ship that attacks your brush screen in Okami when you first step into the room she's in is just... Ugh. If I had the chance to give any video game character of my choice a good smack in the head, it would be her.
@Lineko
I totally feel you on all those things from Zelda that you mentioned. I can barely even handle the Wind Waker redeads... Ech. The giant skulltulas from Twilight Princess can also heck right off along with the extra creepy Arbiter's Ground poes/gibdos.

And I usually kinda enjoy skedaddling away from random scary/strong enemies that pop up (in non-horror games anyway), but when they come with awful music like those spirits do, that takes it a step too far and it goes from fun game of outrun-the-monster tag to anxiety-inducing real quick.

Oh, and have you seen BotW wizzrobes up close? They give me the willies too...

Breaking away from Zelda, the ghost lady in the sunken ship that attacks your brush screen in Okami when you first step into the room she's in is just... Ugh. If I had the chance to give any video game character of my choice a good smack in the head, it would be her.
@mamamouse oh dang i forgot about the denerim orphanage. i only finished that quest a couple times. twas wild.
@mamamouse oh dang i forgot about the denerim orphanage. i only finished that quest a couple times. twas wild.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
If we're talking about creepy things in games, Etrian Odyssey has its fair share of nightmare fuel. I can't seem to find any pictures of it, but EO4's sixth are is unnerving, if only because of the music: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epoINGeaKUs]Den of the Dark Realm[/url]. In EO2U, we have what I think are the scariest F.O.E.s in the game. For those who don't know, an F.O.E. is a special enemy that you can see while walking around (not like random encounters) that moves around when you do, often with a specific pattern. Generally speaking, when you first see these enemies it's best to not fight them, because they can and will murder your whole party with ease. With that out of the way, I'll explain why EO2U has the scariest F.O.E. in the series to my knowledge. You've reached B3F of these ruins you've been exploring. The song has changed slightly, from [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANlsKv6j0Eg]this song[/url] that really drives home the silence and emptiness of the ruins, to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhiFtpEeXD4]this[/url], which to me at least is just plain unnerving. Like you really should't be there and you've intruded on somewhere sacred. Now picture this: you open a door and the first thing you hear is the distinct sound of an F.O.E. noticing you. But there's nothing there. Just an empty corridor. A bit wary, you proceed onwards, and to your right is another path with a chest at the end. Thinking nothing of it, you take said side path to get to the chest when you hear a grating noise behind you. Turning around, the end of the corridor you just came from has [i]moved[/i], and moved two spaces for the one you took. At this point, there's nothing you can do, so you turn around and take another step to open the chest. You open it, get whatever treasure lies within and turn around to go back the way you came. Only it's not there anymore. You're face to face with a wall, only one square separating you. Then the wall attacks. The previously ambient music is replaced by a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxecpf9ECQI]track[/url] that is enough to panic me. The battle starts, and you're faced with this: [center][img]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/etrian/images/2/21/Death_Wall.jpg[/img][/center] Naturally, the first instinct is to flee from an enemy like that, so you try to escape. Except you can't. It has a passive ability with the effect that you can't flee from it using traditional means, you'd just better hope that you still have some Return Flutes left to escape the battle. There's more than one of them too. There's one area where you have to dodge three of them, though fortunately they only move when you're not looking at them so walking backwards can hold them back for a while. The absolute [i]worst[/i] part about these enemies though is that in the level they appear in, you can't go back to town to heal up until you've finished it. Meaning you're trapped down there with the Death Walls, and if you're already hurt or have lost some party members it's a death sentence. I really hate Death Walls.
If we're talking about creepy things in games, Etrian Odyssey has its fair share of nightmare fuel. I can't seem to find any pictures of it, but EO4's sixth are is unnerving, if only because of the music: Den of the Dark Realm.

In EO2U, we have what I think are the scariest F.O.E.s in the game. For those who don't know, an F.O.E. is a special enemy that you can see while walking around (not like random encounters) that moves around when you do, often with a specific pattern. Generally speaking, when you first see these enemies it's best to not fight them, because they can and will murder your whole party with ease.

With that out of the way, I'll explain why EO2U has the scariest F.O.E. in the series to my knowledge. You've reached B3F of these ruins you've been exploring. The song has changed slightly, from this song that really drives home the silence and emptiness of the ruins, to this, which to me at least is just plain unnerving. Like you really should't be there and you've intruded on somewhere sacred. Now picture this: you open a door and the first thing you hear is the distinct sound of an F.O.E. noticing you. But there's nothing there. Just an empty corridor. A bit wary, you proceed onwards, and to your right is another path with a chest at the end. Thinking nothing of it, you take said side path to get to the chest when you hear a grating noise behind you. Turning around, the end of the corridor you just came from has moved, and moved two spaces for the one you took. At this point, there's nothing you can do, so you turn around and take another step to open the chest. You open it, get whatever treasure lies within and turn around to go back the way you came. Only it's not there anymore. You're face to face with a wall, only one square separating you. Then the wall attacks. The previously ambient music is replaced by a track that is enough to panic me. The battle starts, and you're faced with this:
Death_Wall.jpg

Naturally, the first instinct is to flee from an enemy like that, so you try to escape. Except you can't. It has a passive ability with the effect that you can't flee from it using traditional means, you'd just better hope that you still have some Return Flutes left to escape the battle. There's more than one of them too. There's one area where you have to dodge three of them, though fortunately they only move when you're not looking at them so walking backwards can hold them back for a while. The absolute worst part about these enemies though is that in the level they appear in, you can't go back to town to heal up until you've finished it. Meaning you're trapped down there with the Death Walls, and if you're already hurt or have lost some party members it's a death sentence.

I really hate Death Walls.
Vigorous Goblet I collect Vigorous Goblets
Vampire Hunting: Scatterquest

_____
Iron Treasure Chest Festival Shop
Mass Hatch Egg Trading
G1s for Sale
The skeletons in Neopets The Darkest Faerie really freaked me out when I was younger. I used to have a huge phobia of skeletons >->;
The skeletons in Neopets The Darkest Faerie really freaked me out when I was younger. I used to have a huge phobia of skeletons >->;
Pard-ra? Par-dra? I sound like a Thundercats character. Click please? .gif.gif
@Harvestable

I actually found Arbiter's Grounds to be super fun! I really loved the poe designs; I thought they were cool. They didn't freak me out bc they're not unbeatable; they're just another enemy. And I tend to like that genre of spooky stuff lol. It's the helplessness that gets to me.... I think it's a combination of the anxiety factor and how weak and helpless you feel. Like redeads are creepy but it's when they scream and grab me that I freak out. You can't move or attack or escape!

Everyone has a different thing that gets to them.

I think the wizzrobes are cute tbh
@Harvestable

I actually found Arbiter's Grounds to be super fun! I really loved the poe designs; I thought they were cool. They didn't freak me out bc they're not unbeatable; they're just another enemy. And I tend to like that genre of spooky stuff lol. It's the helplessness that gets to me.... I think it's a combination of the anxiety factor and how weak and helpless you feel. Like redeads are creepy but it's when they scream and grab me that I freak out. You can't move or attack or escape!

Everyone has a different thing that gets to them.

I think the wizzrobes are cute tbh
azag_sig.png
@Quamosthy
Ah, Etrian Odyssey. The brutal minimalism of old-school dungeon crawlers, with a modern coat of paint on top. Thanks for reminding me about that series, I haven't played it in a while.

For me, nothing beats the feeling of engaging an enemy, then realizing with horror that, no, you can't actually beat it. One or two turns in, four of your party members are dead without a chance, and you can do nothing as the beast turns its gaze on the last one...

@Quamosthy
Ah, Etrian Odyssey. The brutal minimalism of old-school dungeon crawlers, with a modern coat of paint on top. Thanks for reminding me about that series, I haven't played it in a while.

For me, nothing beats the feeling of engaging an enemy, then realizing with horror that, no, you can't actually beat it. One or two turns in, four of your party members are dead without a chance, and you can do nothing as the beast turns its gaze on the last one...

je1KGwo.png
The treasure ship in Okami. Pretty, pretty game and sure there are some spooky elements, but the treasure ship blows that away by far with the phantom "in your face" jumpscares, giant seaweed monster, and surprise mimic boxes.

Anything with a time limit in Final Fantasy especially regarding doom and especially demon wall.

The Grim Reaper in the Persona games. You're just exploring Tartarus or Mementos or whatever, but take too long on a floor.. Then you hear it. The jingle jangles.
The treasure ship in Okami. Pretty, pretty game and sure there are some spooky elements, but the treasure ship blows that away by far with the phantom "in your face" jumpscares, giant seaweed monster, and surprise mimic boxes.

Anything with a time limit in Final Fantasy especially regarding doom and especially demon wall.

The Grim Reaper in the Persona games. You're just exploring Tartarus or Mementos or whatever, but take too long on a floor.. Then you hear it. The jingle jangles.
tumblr_nr1sm6Mwfo1sevwwxo1_500.png
Demon of song... its so easy to kill but it grosses me out so much. Why. WHY? [img]http://puu.sh/vp0Iw/93e087e280.jpg[/img]
Demon of song... its so easy to kill but it grosses me out so much. Why. WHY?

93e087e280.jpg
qesQFkT.gif
the fallout series already has some elements of horror but there's a part in fallout 3 that just feels like a straight horror game. when you do the point lookout dlc, you go to this creepy island and there's these inbred cannibal hillbilly enemies and you go into their den and retrieve this book thats like a necronomicon and that whole dlc creeped me out and i thought the creepiness was over but NOPE. when you finish the dlc and go back to the regular map with the book, someone urges you to take it to this place called the dunwich building, where you read journals left by people who have gone insane there, hear voices, hallucinate seeing normal humans that turn out to be zombies when the hallucination fades, etc because there's some kind of demon there. its a really unusual thing to be in fallout because other than that the game doesnt have any supernatural elements. it seems silly but the second i walked into dunwich my hair was standing up. i remember it took me a while to get through because i was going really slow because i was scared lololol
the fallout series already has some elements of horror but there's a part in fallout 3 that just feels like a straight horror game. when you do the point lookout dlc, you go to this creepy island and there's these inbred cannibal hillbilly enemies and you go into their den and retrieve this book thats like a necronomicon and that whole dlc creeped me out and i thought the creepiness was over but NOPE. when you finish the dlc and go back to the regular map with the book, someone urges you to take it to this place called the dunwich building, where you read journals left by people who have gone insane there, hear voices, hallucinate seeing normal humans that turn out to be zombies when the hallucination fades, etc because there's some kind of demon there. its a really unusual thing to be in fallout because other than that the game doesnt have any supernatural elements. it seems silly but the second i walked into dunwich my hair was standing up. i remember it took me a while to get through because i was going really slow because i was scared lololol
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17