Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dear 3D modellers
1 2
Maya is very frustrating when your are first learning it. There's little things newbies can do on accident that will mess up your scene and without having someone there to look at your model and help you it can be pretty hard.

@Erujayy

My initial impression from your image though is that it is a very detailed model, you've got A LOT of divisions and edge loops. Not to mention the item itself is pretty complex. Usually when you begin you want to remain as simple as possible, blocking in big shapes and slowly working in detail. You can always add more things in later, they just get harder to deal with as you make major changes.
Maya is very frustrating when your are first learning it. There's little things newbies can do on accident that will mess up your scene and without having someone there to look at your model and help you it can be pretty hard.

@Erujayy

My initial impression from your image though is that it is a very detailed model, you've got A LOT of divisions and edge loops. Not to mention the item itself is pretty complex. Usually when you begin you want to remain as simple as possible, blocking in big shapes and slowly working in detail. You can always add more things in later, they just get harder to deal with as you make major changes.
also question for 3D modellers : what's a good program for doing character models for fun
also question for 3D modellers : what's a good program for doing character models for fun
Whatever program you're using looks about as user-friendly as a block of wood. :/ The one time I dabbled in 3D modeling was with an actual sculpting app with a lot less geometry and a lot more sculpting realism. I've always wanted to try modeling like that but it looks so difficult.
Whatever program you're using looks about as user-friendly as a block of wood. :/ The one time I dabbled in 3D modeling was with an actual sculpting app with a lot less geometry and a lot more sculpting realism. I've always wanted to try modeling like that but it looks so difficult.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
@Hawktalon
The mesh will kill you

@korvas
Yeah i know that well. Our teacher told us to choose a more difficult object for this assignment. Its my second model not counting the ones from tutorials during class time.
But yeah, our teacher doesnt give a skittle about our projects and even though we now know all the tools he continues to do useless models with us during class instead of trying to help us with our models.
Thank god im following a tutorial for this model otherwise id die
@Hawktalon
The mesh will kill you

@korvas
Yeah i know that well. Our teacher told us to choose a more difficult object for this assignment. Its my second model not counting the ones from tutorials during class time.
But yeah, our teacher doesnt give a skittle about our projects and even though we now know all the tools he continues to do useless models with us during class instead of trying to help us with our models.
Thank god im following a tutorial for this model otherwise id die
1 2