Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Astronomy Club!
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 76 77
@Planets @souphands @Exterreri @Cosmological @PoemsOfLou @Finian @deputykuriboh @Reltseo @limeypie @DigDog @Amee @Shadowspirit @roboticspace @Catcats @Razzledazzy @NightFire102 @cosmicpoppies @Linoone @Paperdragon337 @SteampunkDragon @Zues @Erock @TheMageLemon245 @Nekron @Novaturen @Chronosplit @GrimdarkRoxy ------ [center][size=5][color=red][b]Calling on Featured Image submissions![/b][/color][/size] We need submissions! Images don't have to be taken through a telescope. Have a sunrise photo with planets visible? A photo of the moon? A photo of astronomical equipment, or a pic from a trip to an observatory? As long as it's astronomy related, submit it![/center] [quote][center][size=7][b]New Featured Image[/b][/size] [size=4][b]Click on image for hi-res version[/b][/size][/center] [url=http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah248/AryaDragonmaster/Astrophotography/LagoonNebulaAutoCalibratedProcessed5x3min_zps6q2xtxio.jpg][img]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah248/AryaDragonmaster/Astrophotography/LagoonNebulaAutoCalibratedProcessed5x3min_zps6q2xtxio.jpg[/img][/url] M8, the Lagoon Nebula. Taken by @ZannaDragon using the robotic FSQ-106 telescope at Sliding Spring Observatory, Australia. [size=2](5x3min, 15min total exposure time)[/size] [b]Notes:[/b] The moon has finally moved from the morning sky, so back to imaging! This image shows a field near the center of our galaxy. In the center there is the Lagoon Nebula, a massive starforming nebula. Several darker spots are visible in the nebula; these are "bok globules", small dense clouds of dust currently collapsing around young protostars! In contrast, towards the bottom left of the image you can see dense clouds of old, orangeish stars in the center of the Milky Way. Visible on the edge of this cloud of stars closest to the Lagoon is the globular cluster NGC 6544. At the top of the image you can also see the edge of the Trifid Nebula, with one of the dark dust lanes visible. I'll try another image tomorrow with both of them visible! [/quote] Clear Skies everybody!
@Planets @souphands @Exterreri @Cosmological @PoemsOfLou @Finian @deputykuriboh @Reltseo @limeypie @DigDog @Amee @Shadowspirit @roboticspace @Catcats @Razzledazzy @NightFire102 @cosmicpoppies @Linoone @Paperdragon337 @SteampunkDragon @Zues @Erock @TheMageLemon245 @Nekron @Novaturen @Chronosplit @GrimdarkRoxy

Calling on Featured Image submissions!
We need submissions! Images don't have to be taken through a telescope. Have a sunrise photo with planets visible? A photo of the moon? A photo of astronomical equipment, or a pic from a trip to an observatory? As long as it's astronomy related, submit it!

Quote:
New Featured Image
Click on image for hi-res version

LagoonNebulaAutoCalibratedProcessed5x3min_zps6q2xtxio.jpg

M8, the Lagoon Nebula. Taken by @ZannaDragon using the robotic FSQ-106 telescope at Sliding Spring Observatory, Australia. (5x3min, 15min total exposure time)

Notes:
The moon has finally moved from the morning sky, so back to imaging! This image shows a field near the center of our galaxy.

In the center there is the Lagoon Nebula, a massive starforming nebula. Several darker spots are visible in the nebula; these are "bok globules", small dense clouds of dust currently collapsing around young protostars! In contrast, towards the bottom left of the image you can see dense clouds of old, orangeish stars in the center of the Milky Way. Visible on the edge of this cloud of stars closest to the Lagoon is the globular cluster NGC 6544. At the top of the image you can also see the edge of the Trifid Nebula, with one of the dark dust lanes visible. I'll try another image tomorrow with both of them visible!

Clear Skies everybody!
Wow, that is a gorgeous photo!
Wow, that is a gorgeous photo!
jCVhFoZ.gif
@Shadowspirit

Thanks! :) Do you do any imaging?

Clear Skies!
@Shadowspirit

Thanks! :) Do you do any imaging?

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon Unfortunately not, I don't have any good technology for that type of thing.
@ZannaDragon Unfortunately not, I don't have any good technology for that type of thing.
jCVhFoZ.gif
Finally getting around to answering these questions. :)

1. How did you get into astronomy?
I actually don't remember exactly how I got into it, but I've always thought the stars were really cool, and then I took an astronomy class my senior year of high school and was really into it. Now I watch documentaries about space and stuff in my spare time. :)

2. Do you have a telescope, binoculars, or other observing aid?
I have a pair of cheap binoculars, but that's it. Hoping to eventually get a telescope!

3. How serious are you about astronomy?
It's a hobby that keeps me in a constant state of awe and wonder. :) It's endlessly fascinating looking at pictures and trying in vain to comprehend just how mindbogglingly huge all these objects are.

4. Have you ever been to a dark sky site?
I'm not sure if it's actually a dark sky site, but I have been to Northern Minnesota and camped at a lake called Bass Lake. It's so far removed from civilization that the sky is absolutely gorgeous.

5. Have you ever been to a starparty?
I have not, but it would be so amazing to go!
Finally getting around to answering these questions. :)

I actually don't remember exactly how I got into it, but I've always thought the stars were really cool, and then I took an astronomy class my senior year of high school and was really into it. Now I watch documentaries about space and stuff in my spare time. :)

I have a pair of cheap binoculars, but that's it. Hoping to eventually get a telescope!

It's a hobby that keeps me in a constant state of awe and wonder. :) It's endlessly fascinating looking at pictures and trying in vain to comprehend just how mindbogglingly huge all these objects are.

I'm not sure if it's actually a dark sky site, but I have been to Northern Minnesota and camped at a lake called Bass Lake. It's so far removed from civilization that the sky is absolutely gorgeous.

I have not, but it would be so amazing to go!
bouncy_nature_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da7eolo.gif o9GbwME.png bouncy_nature_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da7eolo.gif
@ZannaDragon Beautiful! The Lagoon nebula is one of my favorite objects to look at. It doesn't look nearly as resolved in my own telescope, of course, but still familiar!

How about submissions of photos that weren't taken by us? I don't have any imaging equipment or even a decent cell phone camera, really. But I come across lots of cool stuff on the Internet!
@ZannaDragon Beautiful! The Lagoon nebula is one of my favorite objects to look at. It doesn't look nearly as resolved in my own telescope, of course, but still familiar!

How about submissions of photos that weren't taken by us? I don't have any imaging equipment or even a decent cell phone camera, really. But I come across lots of cool stuff on the Internet!
THE ILLNESS WILL BRING YOU PEACE.
SERENITY IS BORN FROM CERTAINTY AND YOUR SUFFERING IS CERTAIN.
@ZannaDragon
OOoooh~ A astronomy club. Can I join? -3- I love stars
@ZannaDragon
OOoooh~ A astronomy club. Can I join? -3- I love stars
trust_tny_copy_by_vet_in_training-d9yykll.pngd11c7dff8955b6e44fc9041119e7f912.gif25tdzx0.gifTPONzCn.pngEvGHIgA.png

@Shadowspirit

Ah, ok. Well I hope that if that's something you're interested in, you get the opportunity :)

@PoemsOfLou

You might enjoy a documentary called "The City Dark", by Ian Cheney. It used to be on Netflix for sure, but I went and looked for it a few days ago and it wasn't there! D: I hope that's just me, but it might have been pulled for good. :(

What kind of binoculars are they? Like 7x35, 10x50, etc?

I looked up Bass Lake on Dark Site Finder, and it does have very dark skies! I'm so glad you got to see that :) And I hope that you get to go to a starparty soon! You should check with your local astronomy club! Most will host starparties, even if they're in the city.

@Nekron

Thank you! Can you see the darker dust lane in your telescope? (I'm asking because I'm a bit too far north, even with my 8" dob)

That's a good idea! I keep hoping someone will have a DSLR and take a photo of the moon or something, but that will help to fill the gap XD Do you have any that you've found in mind already?

@MagicStar

Absolutely! I'll add you in just a moment.

Clear Skies everybody!
@Shadowspirit

Ah, ok. Well I hope that if that's something you're interested in, you get the opportunity :)

@PoemsOfLou

You might enjoy a documentary called "The City Dark", by Ian Cheney. It used to be on Netflix for sure, but I went and looked for it a few days ago and it wasn't there! D: I hope that's just me, but it might have been pulled for good. :(

What kind of binoculars are they? Like 7x35, 10x50, etc?

I looked up Bass Lake on Dark Site Finder, and it does have very dark skies! I'm so glad you got to see that :) And I hope that you get to go to a starparty soon! You should check with your local astronomy club! Most will host starparties, even if they're in the city.

@Nekron

Thank you! Can you see the darker dust lane in your telescope? (I'm asking because I'm a bit too far north, even with my 8" dob)

That's a good idea! I keep hoping someone will have a DSLR and take a photo of the moon or something, but that will help to fill the gap XD Do you have any that you've found in mind already?

@MagicStar

Absolutely! I'll add you in just a moment.

Clear Skies everybody!
@ZannaDragon
Oh no! D: I hate it when Netflix takes good things down. Buuut I guess that's the way it goes.

7x35 sounds familiar, but I'm not sure exactly.

I should definitely check that out! I need more astronomy in my life, haha.
@ZannaDragon
Oh no! D: I hate it when Netflix takes good things down. Buuut I guess that's the way it goes.

7x35 sounds familiar, but I'm not sure exactly.

I should definitely check that out! I need more astronomy in my life, haha.
bouncy_nature_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da7eolo.gif o9GbwME.png bouncy_nature_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da7eolo.gif
@ZannaDragon
Alright, here I go!

I was more or less raised up with it. My parents made an attempt at teaching little me basic things like constellations (living in a small town really helps here, there's very little light pollution compared to other areas) and taking me to science museums. My 6th grade science teacher was big on astronomy too, and I learned all sorts of things from him. :D

Watching Star Trek TNG and DS9 a lot as a kid probably helped a tiny bit on the sidelines too.

I have a telescope, but it's kind of a cheaper one. One of these days I'd like to upgrade.

I'd honestly say about a 7/10 if such a scale exists. I keep up to date about what's in the sky and recent happenings in space.

Unfortunately no, not a huge need here anyway.

Yes, but it's been a long time ago.
@ZannaDragon
Alright, here I go!

I was more or less raised up with it. My parents made an attempt at teaching little me basic things like constellations (living in a small town really helps here, there's very little light pollution compared to other areas) and taking me to science museums. My 6th grade science teacher was big on astronomy too, and I learned all sorts of things from him. :D

Watching Star Trek TNG and DS9 a lot as a kid probably helped a tiny bit on the sidelines too.

I have a telescope, but it's kind of a cheaper one. One of these days I'd like to upgrade.

I'd honestly say about a 7/10 if such a scale exists. I keep up to date about what's in the sky and recent happenings in space.

Unfortunately no, not a huge need here anyway.

Yes, but it's been a long time ago.
My writing project.
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 76 77