Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | If you could instantly learn languages
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
I really, really want to learn ASL. Partly because I'm working on a story with a deaf protagonist and it'll make the writing process easier, but mostly I want to be able to talk to people. Also I want to learn Braille, every time I see signs in Braille I want to read them. I'm so interested by language and phrasing and slang, I want to know how English translates to ASL and Braille.
I really, really want to learn ASL. Partly because I'm working on a story with a deaf protagonist and it'll make the writing process easier, but mostly I want to be able to talk to people. Also I want to learn Braille, every time I see signs in Braille I want to read them. I'm so interested by language and phrasing and slang, I want to know how English translates to ASL and Braille.
“blaireau’s
3 languages I want to learn? hmm probably...

1. Japanese. I'm not weeb trash, I just want to prove all these jerks who bring me down wrong, and that I can learn a difficult language. then again, Chinese and Vietnamese could work, but my aunt sometimes watches anime and I will be out of the room, so I would like to hear it and understand.

2. Spanish. Its such a common langauge to speak, I would like to learn it.

3. German. I like the sound of it, I know a little
Was sind diese put it in google translate, I dare you

3 languages I want to learn? hmm probably...

1. Japanese. I'm not weeb trash, I just want to prove all these jerks who bring me down wrong, and that I can learn a difficult language. then again, Chinese and Vietnamese could work, but my aunt sometimes watches anime and I will be out of the room, so I would like to hear it and understand.

2. Spanish. Its such a common langauge to speak, I would like to learn it.

3. German. I like the sound of it, I know a little
Was sind diese put it in google translate, I dare you

They/Them, 2+FR time, Pings are appreciated. what_if_banner_had_no_leg_by_epicdragon99-d9zmyrq.png
1. Afrikaans, because I used to know it as a child but I lost it when my kindergarten teachers forced my mom to stop teaching it to me. I'd love to have conversations with my mom in another language.

2. Japanese. I have always had a love of the language and it's just so pleasant to listen to for me.

3. Latin. Latin is so important for the English language in general. Plus, it would be cool to participate in a Mass service where Latin is spoken, that'd be amazing.
1. Afrikaans, because I used to know it as a child but I lost it when my kindergarten teachers forced my mom to stop teaching it to me. I'd love to have conversations with my mom in another language.

2. Japanese. I have always had a love of the language and it's just so pleasant to listen to for me.

3. Latin. Latin is so important for the English language in general. Plus, it would be cool to participate in a Mass service where Latin is spoken, that'd be amazing.
FR_SIGGY.png
1 Ancient Greek. Knock it down, because it's harder than Latin. I study Latin.

2 German. It's a funny language! Everything is so hard to pronounce.

3 French probably.
Auf Wiedersehen!
1 Ancient Greek. Knock it down, because it's harder than Latin. I study Latin.

2 German. It's a funny language! Everything is so hard to pronounce.

3 French probably.
Auf Wiedersehen!
raiden-sig.jpg
ASDFGHJKL LANGUAGES ARE MY FAVOURITE

OKAY

ehem

okay I am calm.

1- Swedish
2- French
3- Latin

4- Potentially Russian?
5- Potentially Finnish?

@wallsie2 " I have no idea why but I sort of have an obsession with Scandinavia lmao"

jointheclub
ASDFGHJKL LANGUAGES ARE MY FAVOURITE

OKAY

ehem

okay I am calm.

1- Swedish
2- French
3- Latin

4- Potentially Russian?
5- Potentially Finnish?

@wallsie2 " I have no idea why but I sort of have an obsession with Scandinavia lmao"

jointheclub
I'm probably supposed to be typing an essay right now.
JAPANESE SO IF I EVER MEET A WEEABOO I CAN TEASE THEM.
JAPANESE SO IF I EVER MEET A WEEABOO I CAN TEASE THEM.
r8pvz1.gif
I'm a French-American who took Spanish for 5 years, and am currently taking Japanese as a minor :> I love languages, even though my major is biology, lol.
If I could know 3 more, I'd go with:

1. Chinese (specifically Cantonese), so I could speak to my SO's parents more easily, especially his mother
2. Swedish or Finnish... They sound really awesome
3. Hindi! I have a lot of Indian friends and a good deal of them speak in Hindi with their families (I know one who speak Tagalog). I've always wished that I could learn more about their cultures, and I always appreciate it when they let me take part in something of significance to them. I've always wanted to visit India--it looks magnificent. I'll just wait until my best friend takes me there.

Also I'm so happy that there are so many people who would like to learn French! :D
I'm a French-American who took Spanish for 5 years, and am currently taking Japanese as a minor :> I love languages, even though my major is biology, lol.
If I could know 3 more, I'd go with:

1. Chinese (specifically Cantonese), so I could speak to my SO's parents more easily, especially his mother
2. Swedish or Finnish... They sound really awesome
3. Hindi! I have a lot of Indian friends and a good deal of them speak in Hindi with their families (I know one who speak Tagalog). I've always wished that I could learn more about their cultures, and I always appreciate it when they let me take part in something of significance to them. I've always wanted to visit India--it looks magnificent. I'll just wait until my best friend takes me there.

Also I'm so happy that there are so many people who would like to learn French! :D
OPrb6go.png tumblr_inline_naxjlrHYbk1qg78ij.png
1. Thai - I can speak and read it, but yeah it's kinda bad when you can't write it or read some official words. Especially when you're Thai. Mostly I'd like to learn it to be able to do things on my own??? I don't really know how to explain it.
2. Japanese - i'm anime trash :'^) i really wanna watch anime without subtitles to prove that i'm the biggest anime trash
3. Spanish - I don't know? There's something it that language that pulls me in.
1. Thai - I can speak and read it, but yeah it's kinda bad when you can't write it or read some official words. Especially when you're Thai. Mostly I'd like to learn it to be able to do things on my own??? I don't really know how to explain it.
2. Japanese - i'm anime trash :'^) i really wanna watch anime without subtitles to prove that i'm the biggest anime trash
3. Spanish - I don't know? There's something it that language that pulls me in.
fireanim3.gifqRZOdzQ.pngfireanim3.gif
@wallsie2 @couchprincess
Let me tell you a secret trick known only to Scandinavians: Learn Norwegian instead.

Speaking with a Swede? No problemo. They understand you, you understand them. Nice

Speaking to a Dane? What use would our 300+ year relationship be if we could not understand each other?*

And no, Swedes and Danes are awful at understanding each other. Do not recommend.

(all this love for Scandinavia makes my cold little hard swell tho)

As for my own choices:

1: French. Because it would be cool to ace in my class without having to practise my arse off.

2: Russian. I am not really sure why, I have just always wanted to learn it.

3: Icelandic. Both because it is the closest to Old Norse you get, but also because I love Iceland a lot. 10/10 would go there again.

*You might have to ask them to slow down a little. A fast speaking Dane is really hard to understand //side eyes my maths-teacher
@wallsie2 @couchprincess
Let me tell you a secret trick known only to Scandinavians: Learn Norwegian instead.

Speaking with a Swede? No problemo. They understand you, you understand them. Nice

Speaking to a Dane? What use would our 300+ year relationship be if we could not understand each other?*

And no, Swedes and Danes are awful at understanding each other. Do not recommend.

(all this love for Scandinavia makes my cold little hard swell tho)

As for my own choices:

1: French. Because it would be cool to ace in my class without having to practise my arse off.

2: Russian. I am not really sure why, I have just always wanted to learn it.

3: Icelandic. Both because it is the closest to Old Norse you get, but also because I love Iceland a lot. 10/10 would go there again.

*You might have to ask them to slow down a little. A fast speaking Dane is really hard to understand //side eyes my maths-teacher
by-knighterrant.png
1. Spanish
2. Greek (reading)
3. Hebrew (reading)

1. Spanish
2. Greek (reading)
3. Hebrew (reading)

!!Click!! XkKeI.gifsl0ix.gif77j2X.gif7RuXO.gif1StWJ.gifIvozV.gif!!Click!!
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15