Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Saint Sponge: Cheap GW/FP Tank Team
1 2
@SaintPepsi I now have a Saint Sponge team, allow me to introduce them: [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48228967][img]https://i.imgur.com/tvJ4cez.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48206684][img]https://i.imgur.com/lqNS2UI.png[/img][/url][/center] I have no actually interesting data to report except that overall I am refreshing a lot less and getting KO'd significantly less with this build than others. The fact that I can get a fodder dragon to level 7 without having to refresh, and can survive bosses, puts it on par with the other trainer builds, and unless I'm doing something that depends on speed where I need a 2-fodder build (like power leveling a lot of fod for a conquest), I'm willing to sacrifice the extra fodder for the chance that one of these days, a boss might drop. So yes, I am very very pleased with this build! :D
@SaintPepsi I now have a Saint Sponge team, allow me to introduce them:
tvJ4cez.png

lqNS2UI.png

I have no actually interesting data to report except that overall I am refreshing a lot less and getting KO'd significantly less with this build than others. The fact that I can get a fodder dragon to level 7 without having to refresh, and can survive bosses, puts it on par with the other trainer builds, and unless I'm doing something that depends on speed where I need a 2-fodder build (like power leveling a lot of fod for a conquest), I'm willing to sacrifice the extra fodder for the chance that one of these days, a boss might drop.

So yes, I am very very pleased with this build! :D
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Reminder to self to try this build with Cinder and Mayflower.
@SaintPepsi
What are your thoughts about substituting an ambush with Discipline?

Additionally, does this end up being faster/slower than the GW workers fodderteam?
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1666709?
Reminder to self to try this build with Cinder and Mayflower.
@SaintPepsi
What are your thoughts about substituting an ambush with Discipline?

Additionally, does this end up being faster/slower than the GW workers fodderteam?
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1666709?
FkU0xOo.gif
ooh, i'm oft frustrated by my current team's inability to reliably eliminate *every* opponent in the workshop, so i'm interested in trying this build out! that scratch+elim guarantee is such a charm point

(EDIT: originally had that as "reliably rally+eliminate every opponent" but i'm warming back up in the workshop and wow i just really did not remember specifically how that build worked LOL. rally+scratch+eliminate, i think. for some it's possible to use the cleric's attacks instead of the tank's eliminate, but it's different for every enemy! thats the unreliability for me.)

@dustclouds
i currently have a workshop workers team, so i could personally test this out for you! i've got plenty of downtime to gather data if you don't mind waiting a bit for me to get it done. i'm wanting to buy up every wavecrest skin in the marketplace, so this week's the perfect time for me to train–exalt fodder :p
ooh, i'm oft frustrated by my current team's inability to reliably eliminate *every* opponent in the workshop, so i'm interested in trying this build out! that scratch+elim guarantee is such a charm point

(EDIT: originally had that as "reliably rally+eliminate every opponent" but i'm warming back up in the workshop and wow i just really did not remember specifically how that build worked LOL. rally+scratch+eliminate, i think. for some it's possible to use the cleric's attacks instead of the tank's eliminate, but it's different for every enemy! thats the unreliability for me.)

@dustclouds
i currently have a workshop workers team, so i could personally test this out for you! i've got plenty of downtime to gather data if you don't mind waiting a bit for me to get it done. i'm wanting to buy up every wavecrest skin in the marketplace, so this week's the perfect time for me to train–exalt fodder :p

@snugglebug
he
@dustclouds Unfortunately, Discipline would be useless. It only affects the breath gain from Meditate, and this build uses Anticipate and Scratch. I have no solid data comparing this build to the Workshop Workers build, but in theory it should start off a bit slow, then catch up with and run at about the same pace as the Workers do, though with increased stability on the Sponges' side. @JonSnOwO d... did you name them after me? [emoji=guardian laughing] Not sure whether to be honored, tickled with laughter, or mortified. Maybe a little of all three???
@dustclouds Unfortunately, Discipline would be useless. It only affects the breath gain from Meditate, and this build uses Anticipate and Scratch.

I have no solid data comparing this build to the Workshop Workers build, but in theory it should start off a bit slow, then catch up with and run at about the same pace as the Workers do, though with increased stability on the Sponges' side.

@JonSnOwO d... did you name them after me? Not sure whether to be honored, tickled with laughter, or mortified. Maybe a little of all three???
pepis_by_minecr_aft-dbxskxp.gif

• Marc • he/him • Iban Peranakan • FR -02:00 / UTC -10:00, no DST •
Former Earth Dom Organization Council

1sAnyd1.gif
bisexual_pride_by_my_world_is_split-dbjdpzj.png

03XKUqf.png
@SaintPepsi YES they were named Conk and Bepis in your honor. *dies*
@SaintPepsi YES they were named Conk and Bepis in your honor. *dies*
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Saving this for future reference! I absolutely think the price for stones is outrageous, this seems quite affordable for my liking
Saving this for future reference! I absolutely think the price for stones is outrageous, this seems quite affordable for my liking
lillipup.gif
@SaintPepsi @dustclouds

i've done some testing! i strung together a lil spreadsheet comparing data for the workshop workers and saint sponge builds. i'll try and continue testing this build until i have 50 entries, like i did with workshop workers. i'm not sure i've hit my stride with it yet...

so far, the gist is that saint sponge build is slower than the workshop workers build. here's a quick table of average time to reach a level:
Level |
S.Sponge |
00:49
01:22
02:59
04:43
07:19
11:05
15:48
22:16
W.Workers |
00:48
01:15
02:39
04:06
06:18
09:25
13:21
18:52
difference
00:01
00:07
00:19
00:36
01:00
01:40
02:27
03:23

i copied and pasted the data from the spreadsheet and deleted the milliseconds, so theres bound to be some rounding errors. my dragons are a wind mage and an arcane fighter, which really only notably affects things when i get trapped in a pack of those wind/arcane casters and spend ages killing the wind one with wind magic because i'm too stubborn to restart xD

i'm going to try out using my mage to attack in the opening turns to see if that speeds things up. it's a riskier strategy since my mage won't be anticipating attacks, but i think it would also cut down on the number of attacks coming in...

some other general review/comparative things: in my experience, it's super easy to start up and (once i figured out *when* to heal) it's super stable in the long run. often times i can go straight to level 10 without any restarts. it's tricky to recover if either dragon goes down, but especially if it's the mage—it's hard to rebuild breath when it revives with such low health and it's super dangerous to have an unprotected fighter. generally tho, it's easy to keep health AND breath up, which is a major boon to this build. workshop workers easily gets desperate low on breath because the mage is healing and throwing attacks, whereas the the saint sponge mage is healing and gaining breath.
@SaintPepsi @dustclouds

i've done some testing! i strung together a lil spreadsheet comparing data for the workshop workers and saint sponge builds. i'll try and continue testing this build until i have 50 entries, like i did with workshop workers. i'm not sure i've hit my stride with it yet...

so far, the gist is that saint sponge build is slower than the workshop workers build. here's a quick table of average time to reach a level:
Level |
S.Sponge |
00:49
01:22
02:59
04:43
07:19
11:05
15:48
22:16
W.Workers |
00:48
01:15
02:39
04:06
06:18
09:25
13:21
18:52
difference
00:01
00:07
00:19
00:36
01:00
01:40
02:27
03:23

i copied and pasted the data from the spreadsheet and deleted the milliseconds, so theres bound to be some rounding errors. my dragons are a wind mage and an arcane fighter, which really only notably affects things when i get trapped in a pack of those wind/arcane casters and spend ages killing the wind one with wind magic because i'm too stubborn to restart xD

i'm going to try out using my mage to attack in the opening turns to see if that speeds things up. it's a riskier strategy since my mage won't be anticipating attacks, but i think it would also cut down on the number of attacks coming in...

some other general review/comparative things: in my experience, it's super easy to start up and (once i figured out *when* to heal) it's super stable in the long run. often times i can go straight to level 10 without any restarts. it's tricky to recover if either dragon goes down, but especially if it's the mage—it's hard to rebuild breath when it revives with such low health and it's super dangerous to have an unprotected fighter. generally tho, it's easy to keep health AND breath up, which is a major boon to this build. workshop workers easily gets desperate low on breath because the mage is healing and throwing attacks, whereas the the saint sponge mage is healing and gaining breath.

@snugglebug
he
@snugglebug

Wholesome post. Thanks for the data! I might still try a saint sponge then just for the novelty. My team of lvl 25s could have some fun.
@snugglebug

Wholesome post. Thanks for the data! I might still try a saint sponge then just for the novelty. My team of lvl 25s could have some fun.
FkU0xOo.gif
Just a small note, I need to do more testing, but I've brought my Saint Sponge team into the new venue and everything seems to be working just as well as in the GW so far. I need to do some more testing, though, because I'm currently leveling a contributing dragon (currently level 22, has an elim, etc.).

ETA: With a non-contributing fodder dragon, this team is holding up perfectly well in the Forbidden Portal. The 133 Str on the eliminate bearing dragon is exactly enough to scratch+eliminate all non-boss mobs. The bosses are casters, and the team didn't have any problems with the fire Fear Frog. Haven't encountered the Terror Toad (wind) with this team and a fodder yet, though. Quickness and elements could be optimized for smoother running in the Forbidden Portal, but it works fine without doing so. Run the same way as in the GW.
Just a small note, I need to do more testing, but I've brought my Saint Sponge team into the new venue and everything seems to be working just as well as in the GW so far. I need to do some more testing, though, because I'm currently leveling a contributing dragon (currently level 22, has an elim, etc.).

ETA: With a non-contributing fodder dragon, this team is holding up perfectly well in the Forbidden Portal. The 133 Str on the eliminate bearing dragon is exactly enough to scratch+eliminate all non-boss mobs. The bosses are casters, and the team didn't have any problems with the fire Fear Frog. Haven't encountered the Terror Toad (wind) with this team and a fodder yet, though. Quickness and elements could be optimized for smoother running in the Forbidden Portal, but it works fine without doing so. Run the same way as in the GW.
fgp70FI.png
Bumping this because the GW is so tough that, for me, survivability is much more important than speed. And when I haven't made some goofy plays due to being sleepy (used Regen on the wrong fighter, mostly), I've had high breath on both my mage and my brawler and haven't fallen or needed to refresh very much at all. If you like bulk and steady steamrolling over monster packs, I highly recommend this build, esp now that a new set of apparel is exclusive to this venue. Below are my sponge duo. Built exactly as listed, except I misstatted a point here and there on the mage, and I gave Clobber to my brawler in case of Boss Emergencies (guaranteed to stop the boss from attacking on its next turn, but costs 35 breath). [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/16090248][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/160903/16090248_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/57066154][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/570662/57066154_350.png[/img][/url]
Bumping this because the GW is so tough that, for me, survivability is much more important than speed. And when I haven't made some goofy plays due to being sleepy (used Regen on the wrong fighter, mostly), I've had high breath on both my mage and my brawler and haven't fallen or needed to refresh very much at all. If you like bulk and steady steamrolling over monster packs, I highly recommend this build, esp now that a new set of apparel is exclusive to this venue.

Below are my sponge duo. Built exactly as listed, except I misstatted a point here and there on the mage, and I gave Clobber to my brawler in case of Boss Emergencies (guaranteed to stop the boss from attacking on its next turn, but costs 35 breath).

16090248_350.png
57066154_350.png
Anim-spiral.gifx lore clan
spiral fan
rp friendly
for sale
free tiny buttons
xcorgi with feather pen
1 2