Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | A Newbie's BASIC INTRO to the Coli!
1 2 3 4 5 6
This is a super, SUPER basic introduction to the coliseum for those newbies who really have no idea what guides are talking about! I typed it up last night, and all the links lead to another coli guide to expound on the point or build I'm talking about. This guide does not go in depth, because other guides that are linked do that already and I didn't want to create a(nother) wall of confusing text for newbies to have to go through.

The Coliseum: General Basics

The Coliseum is broken up into 21 different areas called "Venues". Each venue has a difficulty level indicated by the number listed on it. Your dragon(s) have to be at least this level in order to stand a chance within the venue. For example, it is not wise to bring a level 1 dragon into a level 20 venue without a dragon that is level 20 or higher! You should also have at least 3 dragons in your group (called a "party") at any given time, except in certain exceptions listed below.

Stats

Now, let's say you have the right level dragon(s) for the venue. Great! But wait, they're still being defeated! Why? Well, they have something prominent in all RPG style games: stats! However, the coliseum (also called "coli" for short), is heavily biased. If your dragon has balanced stats, they will be defeated. If your dragon is a tank build, they will be too weak and slow to fight. And if you have all mages in the team, forget it! They are also too slow to attack, and they don't attack enough to win on their own!

"But Eevee! That's so hard! How do I know what stats to use? AND WHAT'S WITH ALL THESE 'STONES' AND WHY IS THAT ONE EXPENSIVE? Do I really need it in order to grind and level in the coli?"

Settle down, hun, I hear you! Let me break it down for you:

Various kinds of stat and stone placements are called "Builds". Each build is good for something, and not so good for another. It is important that you determine what you want to do in the coli before you choose a stat placement and stones for your dragons. It is ALSO important that you choose the right element for that venue.

Venues

Venues all have different concentrations of enemy elements. They have different enemies (often called "mobs") that will attack you in various ways. Mainly, the element your dragon should be when it is helping other dragons get stronger ("leveling", whether it be for exalt or something else) should be based on the magical enemies. These enemies use a move called "Meditate", which is also present on Mage builds. Why base your dragon's element on mage attackers and not physical attackers? Because mage attackers will, more often than not, hit your dragons with elemental attacks, while physical hitters rarely do. So, you want to choose a dragon that is neutral or resistant to the magical attacker's element. This mainly applies if you are getting something like a Mire Flyer or a Ghostbuster or other 1 trainer leveler.

What is an Eliminate stone and why is it expensive?

Eliminate is a powerful attack that physical hitting dragons can use to do 3 turns of damage in one devastating strike! If it successfully defeats the enemy, then you can do it again! If not, it will take up to 6 turns to use the ability once more.

Back in the early days of the coli, the stone was plentiful. People got it often in the coli, because they were often in venues that dropped it. It was considered essential by the two most popular guides to be absolutely necessary in order to properly survive in the coli. However, when the Mire Flyer became popular, many people moved from Eliminate dropping venues to one that doesn't drop it at all. Supplies began to drop, and the stone became a bit rarer. Then, many people like yourself showed up, and slowly, everyone had a need for the stone. But, people kept staying in a venue that didn't drop the stone!

And so, due to little supply, and high demand, Eliminate is a helpful, but expensive, stone. If you are new, it could be much harder to get the stone for your own dragons. However, it is now often cheaper to buy a dragon that already has the stone than to buy the stone outright. Here is a post that explains about it in more detail.

NOTE: Eliminate is no longer as massively expensive as it used to be at the time of writing this guide. (700k back when writing the guide, verses 175k-200k now.) However, it is still 2-3 days worth of Fairgrounds maxing to obtain. Still quite a bit!

Builds

"Okay so...what build should I choose??"

That depends! Where do you want to be most of the time and what is your budget?

If you want to level dragons for exalting (such dragons are referred to as "fodder") in order to make money, then there are several options available to you! If you want to just grind for loot in any venue MINUS the Golem Workshop and Forbidden Portal (more on those in a second), then a team of all physical hitters will do well. If you want to be IN the Golem Workshop/Forbidden Portal, then 2 physical hitters and a mage are the ideal team. If you don't have much money, but want to do a mix of all of the above anyway, there is now a build for that, too! Here are the ones I recommend (there are many more, so check them out!):

If you want to level 1-2 fodder or other dragons fast:
Mire Flyer [1 trainer dragon] (119 STR / 70 QCK / 16 VIT)
Ghostbuster [1 trainer dragon] (115 STR / 76 QCK / 17 VIT)
Kelp Beds Kraken [1 trainer dragon] (125 STR / 60 QCK / 11 VIT / 9 AGI)
1-fodder two dragon team (126 STR / 58 QCK / 11 VIT or 126 STR / 59 QCK / 6 VIT)

If you want to level 2 fodder, but don't care about speed too much:
Boreal Brawler (97 STR / 79 QCK / 55 VIT / + AGI)
Crystal Flyer (105 STR / 68 QCK / 55 VIT / + AGI)
Achi's Rooster (108 STR / 85 QCK / 18 VIT)

General Grinding, no money issue:
Standard Glass Cannon (129 STR / 50 QCK / 13 VIT)

Budget Grinding/Budget fodder leveling (No Eliminate build, slower than ones with Eliminate):
Sedona Tank (103 STR / 80 QCK / 35 VIT / 25 DEF)
Budget build (see guide-requires two dragons)

Mages:
Stats for mages vary, but you can generally use any of the above builds for statting a mage. However, you would put the stats in INT instead of STR! Some of my favorite stats for mages that I personally use (copied and pasted from the dragons pages themselves, hence the odd formatting):
  • INT 100 / AGI 23 / VIT 50 / DEF 30 / MND 30 / QCK 60
  • INT 115 / VIT 20 / DEF 6 / QCK 75
  • INT 103 / AGI 9 / VIT 35 / DEF 25 / QCK 80
  • INT 122 / AGI 24 / VIT 16 / QCK 60

Conclusion
I hope this helped you a bit! If you have any questions on anything specific, feel free to ask!
This is a super, SUPER basic introduction to the coliseum for those newbies who really have no idea what guides are talking about! I typed it up last night, and all the links lead to another coli guide to expound on the point or build I'm talking about. This guide does not go in depth, because other guides that are linked do that already and I didn't want to create a(nother) wall of confusing text for newbies to have to go through.

The Coliseum: General Basics

The Coliseum is broken up into 21 different areas called "Venues". Each venue has a difficulty level indicated by the number listed on it. Your dragon(s) have to be at least this level in order to stand a chance within the venue. For example, it is not wise to bring a level 1 dragon into a level 20 venue without a dragon that is level 20 or higher! You should also have at least 3 dragons in your group (called a "party") at any given time, except in certain exceptions listed below.

Stats

Now, let's say you have the right level dragon(s) for the venue. Great! But wait, they're still being defeated! Why? Well, they have something prominent in all RPG style games: stats! However, the coliseum (also called "coli" for short), is heavily biased. If your dragon has balanced stats, they will be defeated. If your dragon is a tank build, they will be too weak and slow to fight. And if you have all mages in the team, forget it! They are also too slow to attack, and they don't attack enough to win on their own!

"But Eevee! That's so hard! How do I know what stats to use? AND WHAT'S WITH ALL THESE 'STONES' AND WHY IS THAT ONE EXPENSIVE? Do I really need it in order to grind and level in the coli?"

Settle down, hun, I hear you! Let me break it down for you:

Various kinds of stat and stone placements are called "Builds". Each build is good for something, and not so good for another. It is important that you determine what you want to do in the coli before you choose a stat placement and stones for your dragons. It is ALSO important that you choose the right element for that venue.

Venues

Venues all have different concentrations of enemy elements. They have different enemies (often called "mobs") that will attack you in various ways. Mainly, the element your dragon should be when it is helping other dragons get stronger ("leveling", whether it be for exalt or something else) should be based on the magical enemies. These enemies use a move called "Meditate", which is also present on Mage builds. Why base your dragon's element on mage attackers and not physical attackers? Because mage attackers will, more often than not, hit your dragons with elemental attacks, while physical hitters rarely do. So, you want to choose a dragon that is neutral or resistant to the magical attacker's element. This mainly applies if you are getting something like a Mire Flyer or a Ghostbuster or other 1 trainer leveler.

What is an Eliminate stone and why is it expensive?

Eliminate is a powerful attack that physical hitting dragons can use to do 3 turns of damage in one devastating strike! If it successfully defeats the enemy, then you can do it again! If not, it will take up to 6 turns to use the ability once more.

Back in the early days of the coli, the stone was plentiful. People got it often in the coli, because they were often in venues that dropped it. It was considered essential by the two most popular guides to be absolutely necessary in order to properly survive in the coli. However, when the Mire Flyer became popular, many people moved from Eliminate dropping venues to one that doesn't drop it at all. Supplies began to drop, and the stone became a bit rarer. Then, many people like yourself showed up, and slowly, everyone had a need for the stone. But, people kept staying in a venue that didn't drop the stone!

And so, due to little supply, and high demand, Eliminate is a helpful, but expensive, stone. If you are new, it could be much harder to get the stone for your own dragons. However, it is now often cheaper to buy a dragon that already has the stone than to buy the stone outright. Here is a post that explains about it in more detail.

NOTE: Eliminate is no longer as massively expensive as it used to be at the time of writing this guide. (700k back when writing the guide, verses 175k-200k now.) However, it is still 2-3 days worth of Fairgrounds maxing to obtain. Still quite a bit!

Builds

"Okay so...what build should I choose??"

That depends! Where do you want to be most of the time and what is your budget?

If you want to level dragons for exalting (such dragons are referred to as "fodder") in order to make money, then there are several options available to you! If you want to just grind for loot in any venue MINUS the Golem Workshop and Forbidden Portal (more on those in a second), then a team of all physical hitters will do well. If you want to be IN the Golem Workshop/Forbidden Portal, then 2 physical hitters and a mage are the ideal team. If you don't have much money, but want to do a mix of all of the above anyway, there is now a build for that, too! Here are the ones I recommend (there are many more, so check them out!):

If you want to level 1-2 fodder or other dragons fast:
Mire Flyer [1 trainer dragon] (119 STR / 70 QCK / 16 VIT)
Ghostbuster [1 trainer dragon] (115 STR / 76 QCK / 17 VIT)
Kelp Beds Kraken [1 trainer dragon] (125 STR / 60 QCK / 11 VIT / 9 AGI)
1-fodder two dragon team (126 STR / 58 QCK / 11 VIT or 126 STR / 59 QCK / 6 VIT)

If you want to level 2 fodder, but don't care about speed too much:
Boreal Brawler (97 STR / 79 QCK / 55 VIT / + AGI)
Crystal Flyer (105 STR / 68 QCK / 55 VIT / + AGI)
Achi's Rooster (108 STR / 85 QCK / 18 VIT)

General Grinding, no money issue:
Standard Glass Cannon (129 STR / 50 QCK / 13 VIT)

Budget Grinding/Budget fodder leveling (No Eliminate build, slower than ones with Eliminate):
Sedona Tank (103 STR / 80 QCK / 35 VIT / 25 DEF)
Budget build (see guide-requires two dragons)

Mages:
Stats for mages vary, but you can generally use any of the above builds for statting a mage. However, you would put the stats in INT instead of STR! Some of my favorite stats for mages that I personally use (copied and pasted from the dragons pages themselves, hence the odd formatting):
  • INT 100 / AGI 23 / VIT 50 / DEF 30 / MND 30 / QCK 60
  • INT 115 / VIT 20 / DEF 6 / QCK 75
  • INT 103 / AGI 9 / VIT 35 / DEF 25 / QCK 80
  • INT 122 / AGI 24 / VIT 16 / QCK 60

Conclusion
I hope this helped you a bit! If you have any questions on anything specific, feel free to ask!
If you're just starting with a coli team and can't afford Eliminate, here are some tips!

1. Rent a level 25 statted and stoned for either Ghostlight or the Mire. You can also get 2 dragons statted for the Kelp Beds, if available. Check your flight's sales or dominance forums, or post a search thread in the "Find a Dragon" forums.

2. a) Level three dragons of varying elements to 12-17. Make sure they are all the same level with roughly the same EXP amount. This ensures they will level all at once each time.

2. b) Why levels 12-17? It's relatively easy to get to level 12 with a level 25 trainer. Level 12 skips the harder beginner venues, as well. Level 17 takes a bit longer, but it's only about 1-2 hours total per dragon if you focus. Level 17 is when you can equip Berserker stones and have 50 QCK, so all other points go into STR/INT. This makes for easy math later on! You can also go to level 15 if you'd like, which is faster than 17 and allows you to have 2 Ambushes!

3. Make one of those dragons a mage and give your mage either Aid or Regeneration. I highly recommend Aid, but sometimes Regeneration is easier to get. TRUST ME THEY WILL HELP KEEP YOU ALIVE.

4. If you don't have Sap, that's okay. Get Clobber and an elemental slash for your fighters, if you can.

5. Put your mage in the first slot!

6. Work your way up through the coliseum according to this guide. It has info for statting your mage as well! Use them to heal your fighters and deal a bit of damage as well with Contuse.

7. For dealing with bosses, try to save up breath for using Clobber. It stuns enemies and prevents them from attacking on their next turn! Don't use it all at once, though. Try to space it out one after the other when the enemy tries to attack. (ex. use clobber>wait until enemy turn>use it again if possible)

Guidelines to Using a MAGE

1. Friends Before Foes. If you can either attack or heal a fighter, you heal your fighter.

2. Friends Before You. If you can either heal the mage or heal a fighter with low health, heal your fighter.

3. "You" Above Death. The healer is the cornerstone of the team. Heal the mage if no one else is close to death, but they are.

4. Readiness Is Key. Try to make sure that your healer always has enough breath to heal just in case of an emergency!
If you're just starting with a coli team and can't afford Eliminate, here are some tips!

1. Rent a level 25 statted and stoned for either Ghostlight or the Mire. You can also get 2 dragons statted for the Kelp Beds, if available. Check your flight's sales or dominance forums, or post a search thread in the "Find a Dragon" forums.

2. a) Level three dragons of varying elements to 12-17. Make sure they are all the same level with roughly the same EXP amount. This ensures they will level all at once each time.

2. b) Why levels 12-17? It's relatively easy to get to level 12 with a level 25 trainer. Level 12 skips the harder beginner venues, as well. Level 17 takes a bit longer, but it's only about 1-2 hours total per dragon if you focus. Level 17 is when you can equip Berserker stones and have 50 QCK, so all other points go into STR/INT. This makes for easy math later on! You can also go to level 15 if you'd like, which is faster than 17 and allows you to have 2 Ambushes!

3. Make one of those dragons a mage and give your mage either Aid or Regeneration. I highly recommend Aid, but sometimes Regeneration is easier to get. TRUST ME THEY WILL HELP KEEP YOU ALIVE.

4. If you don't have Sap, that's okay. Get Clobber and an elemental slash for your fighters, if you can.

5. Put your mage in the first slot!

6. Work your way up through the coliseum according to this guide. It has info for statting your mage as well! Use them to heal your fighters and deal a bit of damage as well with Contuse.

7. For dealing with bosses, try to save up breath for using Clobber. It stuns enemies and prevents them from attacking on their next turn! Don't use it all at once, though. Try to space it out one after the other when the enemy tries to attack. (ex. use clobber>wait until enemy turn>use it again if possible)

Guidelines to Using a MAGE

1. Friends Before Foes. If you can either attack or heal a fighter, you heal your fighter.

2. Friends Before You. If you can either heal the mage or heal a fighter with low health, heal your fighter.

3. "You" Above Death. The healer is the cornerstone of the team. Heal the mage if no one else is close to death, but they are.

4. Readiness Is Key. Try to make sure that your healer always has enough breath to heal just in case of an emergency!
Very nice! (I was looking for a starter coliseum guide for a newly joined friend and this has the basics it nicely, thank you)
Very nice! (I was looking for a starter coliseum guide for a newly joined friend and this has the basics it nicely, thank you)
..... lMvwFAW.png Everything Nice the Hatchery PZMAyBy.png ............
they/them
it/its
plagueling
Wishlist
free buttons
@Memelukkikala
Thank you, I'm glad you find it helpful!
@Memelukkikala
Thank you, I'm glad you find it helpful!
added this into the helpful tools section of my coli builds list, hope you don't mind!
added this into the helpful tools section of my coli builds list, hope you don't mind!
NY105Sx.gif
@Nonstop
Oh wow, thank you so much for adding it! :D
@Nonstop
Oh wow, thank you so much for adding it! :D
Updated with the Kelp Beds Kraken!
Updated with the Kelp Beds Kraken!
fO3c3Bn.png oouioVf.png
mlHpBMC.png
EhlmcQh.png
updated!
updated!
I’m new to all the coli and attacking stuff, so I’m confused on what STR, AGI, VIT, QCK, INT, DEF and MND mean. If anybody could explain I would be very grateful because I have 66 points or something, and I have no clue what to assign them to?
I’m new to all the coli and attacking stuff, so I’m confused on what STR, AGI, VIT, QCK, INT, DEF and MND mean. If anybody could explain I would be very grateful because I have 66 points or something, and I have no clue what to assign them to?
1 2 3 4 5 6