Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Things I wish I knew when I started FR!
1 2
Newb guide for newbs! (Haha!)

I first want to mention that I am terrible at forums I probably could have learned this and sat down and read everything, but where is the fun in that?!

Below are my opinions/suggestions for things I -wish- I knew when I started... and maybe saved some money....

Dragon Lair - Feed dragons, often and always. Keeps them happy and you get nice bonuses if you do it daily.

Nesting grounds - Keep at least one nest going. This may seem hard at first but you -will- get more dragons eventually, and more nests. I am currently just finding dragons on the AH that I like the color of then breeding them and hoping for the best. I have not done much past that. Here is a guide I found: Breeding Dragons for Newbies 3.0!

Gather Items - I still don’t know the best strategy for this section, at first it was to get food, but once I got better at the coliseum I needed to gather food a lot less. Do it daily.

Hoard - I keep everything for the most part
  • Food - convert, large stacks sell if you want, convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
  • Materials - to vault, or sell on the Auction House (AH), convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
  • Apparel
    • Either put it on a dragon
    • sell it if it has a good price on the AH
    • or convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
      • I only do this if I don’t like the apparel at all and it won’t sell well on the AH
  • Familiars
    • This was SUPER confusing to me a first, this guide Familiar Bonding - Rewards and FAQ cleared a lot up for me.
      • In brief put it on a dragon and bond with it by hitting the heart button
      • That bonds the familiar to your clan not the dragon so no matter how many time you swap it with a dragon the bonding will not reset
    • If I get two of the same familiar and they don’t sell well on the AH I convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
  • Battle items
    • Either I sell on the AH
    • Sell in the hoard
    • Give away to other people who want them
    • Put them on a dragon in the coliseum
  • Skins – Sell on AH or Put them on a dragon
  • Specialty – Sell on AH or use
  • Other – Put in vault, open chests, sell on AH, convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew

Marketplace - Check the AH first before buying, check often

Auction House – Place to sell and buy, I utilize this much like any AH

Trading post – At this point I…
  • Convert at Baldwin's Bubbling Brew as often as I can
  • Pinkerton's Plundered Pile once a day
  • Crim's Collection Cart - I rarely do this, since I don’t really have any significant stock yet. I check it once and a while, but for the most part I leave it alone
  • Tomo's Trivia Tablet - Fun the first two or three times I did it, but I quickly found other things that were worth my time, more easier, interesting ways to make money. Plenty of guides out there with all of her answers.
  • Swipp's Swap Stand. This, just like Crim's Collection Cart, I ignore, I check it from time to time, but I have had no luck selling the items needed of the swap on the AH.
Fairgrounds
  • Play a game you fancy, I like the Atrifracture the most, I feel like I can get really far and make good money on it.
  • I can also play them on my iPad/iPhone which is –really- nice

Coliseum
  • This is my favorite Coliseum guide: How to Train Your Dragon, By Duke
  • Basically I had a very nice person lend me a Mire Leveler to level dragons.
  • In my experience:
    • Level two dragons with the Mire Leveler till you can’t stand the Mire and need a break
    • Eliminate is the –best- battle stone ever, however it is SO HARD TO GET.
    • I gave in and bought gems then bought two off the AH
    • Rally, Berserker x3, and Ambush x2 were relatively cheap in gems
    • Once I bought Eliminate however the coliseum was a breeze, I could level 2 dragons and another at their levels so the grind wasn’t as tedious.
    • I –really- wish Eliminate was easier to get/did not cost as much
    • You can get lucky and it will drop from certain battle zones (see guide) but I have had 0 luck with this.
  • Once my dragons were 25, I bought a Tincture of Dissolution off the Market Place (cheaper) and reset their stats to:
    • Str: 119 (Green from the Berserker stones)
    • Agi: 8 (Do not put points in the Berserker stone makes it 8, the text is green)
    • Vit: 9
    • Qck: 71 (Green from the Berserker stones)
    • Int: 5
    • Def: 9
    • Mnd: 5
  • This worked for me. Do not waste tinctures like I did @_@ the 119 strength makes sure you can one shot anything in the Mire with Eliminate once rallied. I had one at 118 and could not one shot certain mobs... (that was so annoying)
  • Clarified Mire guide:
    1. Go into the Mire with two dragons to level and your 25 (in Organize party, left to right as: leveling, leveling, 25)
    2. Refresh the Mire until you get a set of enemies that are caster types (you will start to get the hang of what is a caster type and what isn’t
    3. Haste, scratch x4 (this should kill the first mob)
    4. Scratch, then you should have enough for an eliminate, so Eliminate, second mob gone
    5. Scratch, then eliminate the last mob, (DO NOT JUST ELIMINATE, you need to be rallied to one-shot)
    6. Continue to next battle
    7. Rally, then eliminate (Always eliminate the melee type first)
    8. Eliminate, eliminate
    9. Continue to next battle, repeat step 7/8
    10. This can sometimes be frustrating because mobs have a chance to dodge, just start back at step 2/3 or refresh the coliseum on your turn
I am -not- an expert at Coliseum so please please read and re-read How to Train Your Dragon, By Duke

Dominance
This is still something I have yet to really get into. But try and find a group in your flight that you might fit into and try to follow when they do pushes. Find the Dominance push hub for your Flight and read up on it.

If you get to a point you can buy from the AH/breed and make babies, level, then Exhalt, TRACK IT. And track it during your flight's pushes. Most flight have systems/groups that would want to know!

Again, all just things I wish I had known when I started. Is there anything you wish you knew when you started and learned later?
Newb guide for newbs! (Haha!)

I first want to mention that I am terrible at forums I probably could have learned this and sat down and read everything, but where is the fun in that?!

Below are my opinions/suggestions for things I -wish- I knew when I started... and maybe saved some money....

Dragon Lair - Feed dragons, often and always. Keeps them happy and you get nice bonuses if you do it daily.

Nesting grounds - Keep at least one nest going. This may seem hard at first but you -will- get more dragons eventually, and more nests. I am currently just finding dragons on the AH that I like the color of then breeding them and hoping for the best. I have not done much past that. Here is a guide I found: Breeding Dragons for Newbies 3.0!

Gather Items - I still don’t know the best strategy for this section, at first it was to get food, but once I got better at the coliseum I needed to gather food a lot less. Do it daily.

Hoard - I keep everything for the most part
  • Food - convert, large stacks sell if you want, convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
  • Materials - to vault, or sell on the Auction House (AH), convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
  • Apparel
    • Either put it on a dragon
    • sell it if it has a good price on the AH
    • or convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
      • I only do this if I don’t like the apparel at all and it won’t sell well on the AH
  • Familiars
    • This was SUPER confusing to me a first, this guide Familiar Bonding - Rewards and FAQ cleared a lot up for me.
      • In brief put it on a dragon and bond with it by hitting the heart button
      • That bonds the familiar to your clan not the dragon so no matter how many time you swap it with a dragon the bonding will not reset
    • If I get two of the same familiar and they don’t sell well on the AH I convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
  • Battle items
    • Either I sell on the AH
    • Sell in the hoard
    • Give away to other people who want them
    • Put them on a dragon in the coliseum
  • Skins – Sell on AH or Put them on a dragon
  • Specialty – Sell on AH or use
  • Other – Put in vault, open chests, sell on AH, convert it Baldwin's Bubbling Brew

Marketplace - Check the AH first before buying, check often

Auction House – Place to sell and buy, I utilize this much like any AH

Trading post – At this point I…
  • Convert at Baldwin's Bubbling Brew as often as I can
  • Pinkerton's Plundered Pile once a day
  • Crim's Collection Cart - I rarely do this, since I don’t really have any significant stock yet. I check it once and a while, but for the most part I leave it alone
  • Tomo's Trivia Tablet - Fun the first two or three times I did it, but I quickly found other things that were worth my time, more easier, interesting ways to make money. Plenty of guides out there with all of her answers.
  • Swipp's Swap Stand. This, just like Crim's Collection Cart, I ignore, I check it from time to time, but I have had no luck selling the items needed of the swap on the AH.
Fairgrounds
  • Play a game you fancy, I like the Atrifracture the most, I feel like I can get really far and make good money on it.
  • I can also play them on my iPad/iPhone which is –really- nice

Coliseum
  • This is my favorite Coliseum guide: How to Train Your Dragon, By Duke
  • Basically I had a very nice person lend me a Mire Leveler to level dragons.
  • In my experience:
    • Level two dragons with the Mire Leveler till you can’t stand the Mire and need a break
    • Eliminate is the –best- battle stone ever, however it is SO HARD TO GET.
    • I gave in and bought gems then bought two off the AH
    • Rally, Berserker x3, and Ambush x2 were relatively cheap in gems
    • Once I bought Eliminate however the coliseum was a breeze, I could level 2 dragons and another at their levels so the grind wasn’t as tedious.
    • I –really- wish Eliminate was easier to get/did not cost as much
    • You can get lucky and it will drop from certain battle zones (see guide) but I have had 0 luck with this.
  • Once my dragons were 25, I bought a Tincture of Dissolution off the Market Place (cheaper) and reset their stats to:
    • Str: 119 (Green from the Berserker stones)
    • Agi: 8 (Do not put points in the Berserker stone makes it 8, the text is green)
    • Vit: 9
    • Qck: 71 (Green from the Berserker stones)
    • Int: 5
    • Def: 9
    • Mnd: 5
  • This worked for me. Do not waste tinctures like I did @_@ the 119 strength makes sure you can one shot anything in the Mire with Eliminate once rallied. I had one at 118 and could not one shot certain mobs... (that was so annoying)
  • Clarified Mire guide:
    1. Go into the Mire with two dragons to level and your 25 (in Organize party, left to right as: leveling, leveling, 25)
    2. Refresh the Mire until you get a set of enemies that are caster types (you will start to get the hang of what is a caster type and what isn’t
    3. Haste, scratch x4 (this should kill the first mob)
    4. Scratch, then you should have enough for an eliminate, so Eliminate, second mob gone
    5. Scratch, then eliminate the last mob, (DO NOT JUST ELIMINATE, you need to be rallied to one-shot)
    6. Continue to next battle
    7. Rally, then eliminate (Always eliminate the melee type first)
    8. Eliminate, eliminate
    9. Continue to next battle, repeat step 7/8
    10. This can sometimes be frustrating because mobs have a chance to dodge, just start back at step 2/3 or refresh the coliseum on your turn
I am -not- an expert at Coliseum so please please read and re-read How to Train Your Dragon, By Duke

Dominance
This is still something I have yet to really get into. But try and find a group in your flight that you might fit into and try to follow when they do pushes. Find the Dominance push hub for your Flight and read up on it.

If you get to a point you can buy from the AH/breed and make babies, level, then Exhalt, TRACK IT. And track it during your flight's pushes. Most flight have systems/groups that would want to know!

Again, all just things I wish I had known when I started. Is there anything you wish you knew when you started and learned later?
55y3PWT.png
Additions!

For quick Familiar Bonding: Dragon Lair, Control/Command click on each dragon with a familiar so they open in new tabs, then you can quickly click the heart and close the tab! (You may need to zoom in and out of the Dragon Profile page first to see the heart button). Tip from MuteBlackSheep
Additions!

For quick Familiar Bonding: Dragon Lair, Control/Command click on each dragon with a familiar so they open in new tabs, then you can quickly click the heart and close the tab! (You may need to zoom in and out of the Dragon Profile page first to see the heart button). Tip from MuteBlackSheep
55y3PWT.png
@purpleebchan I linked and pinged you to my thread over in introductions, love this post! o3o

I may comment with some things I wish I knew when I started at some point! :)
@purpleebchan I linked and pinged you to my thread over in introductions, love this post! o3o

I may comment with some things I wish I knew when I started at some point! :)
p7IK7KG.png ste11a
FR +0
@melanko I saw! Thank you! I was so worried when I posted it. I may fine tune it later.

I would love to add other people's knowledge to the second post.

I didn't want it to be to verbose since other people have done such excellent work already. Flight Rising Cliff notes! XD
@melanko I saw! Thank you! I was so worried when I posted it. I may fine tune it later.

I would love to add other people's knowledge to the second post.

I didn't want it to be to verbose since other people have done such excellent work already. Flight Rising Cliff notes! XD
55y3PWT.png
Thank you for this.
Thank you for this.
@purpleebchan
When trying to bond with many familiars, hold ctrl and scroll (or use +/-) until you can see the heart on your dragon's page. Open multiple tabs for maybe like two rows of dragons, bond then crtl+w to close window and go to the next tab for quick bonding.
@purpleebchan
When trying to bond with many familiars, hold ctrl and scroll (or use +/-) until you can see the heart on your dragon's page. Open multiple tabs for maybe like two rows of dragons, bond then crtl+w to close window and go to the next tab for quick bonding.
Badge-1.pngvWzc3aN.png
Don't dismiss the treasure you can get from Tomo's Trivia. Many of the questions can be guessed correctly with no real knowledge, and the ones that stump you are easy to look up right here in the Forums, with this comprehensive Answer Guide. Plus it helps you learn a bit about this world we play in! Before you know it, you won't need the guide for much. I wish I'd known about it sooner, and earned the treasure I missed before I knew anything!
Don't dismiss the treasure you can get from Tomo's Trivia. Many of the questions can be guessed correctly with no real knowledge, and the ones that stump you are easy to look up right here in the Forums, with this comprehensive Answer Guide. Plus it helps you learn a bit about this world we play in! Before you know it, you won't need the guide for much. I wish I'd known about it sooner, and earned the treasure I missed before I knew anything!
pSn2GKM.png If you like them, please Like them!
For Swipp, if you want one of the items he's offering as a trade, check to see the AH prices for that item before you trade the components! Often, the components are worth more than the actual item- you could sell the parts and, using the treasure/gems from that, buy the thing you want.
For Swipp, if you want one of the items he's offering as a trade, check to see the AH prices for that item before you trade the components! Often, the components are worth more than the actual item- you could sell the parts and, using the treasure/gems from that, buy the thing you want.
@Julith, YOu are very welcome, I am happy to help :D

@MuteBlackSheep, That is a good tip! I will post that :)

@Deladria, Thank you! I know Tomo's Trivia is free treasure, and easy to look up, but I personally have found ways to make money that are more worth my time. Maybe I will go back to it and see if I like it again, but for now I am not interested XD

@caleaf, True! And I did -try- on multiple occasions to sell what Swipp wants on the AH. But no luck. So for now I will just keep hording, maybe I will figure it out eventually, but I find I am just not very good at AH's in general XD
@Julith, YOu are very welcome, I am happy to help :D

@MuteBlackSheep, That is a good tip! I will post that :)

@Deladria, Thank you! I know Tomo's Trivia is free treasure, and easy to look up, but I personally have found ways to make money that are more worth my time. Maybe I will go back to it and see if I like it again, but for now I am not interested XD

@caleaf, True! And I did -try- on multiple occasions to sell what Swipp wants on the AH. But no luck. So for now I will just keep hording, maybe I will figure it out eventually, but I find I am just not very good at AH's in general XD
55y3PWT.png
@purpleebchan

It's great you've found some preferred ways to make treasure, but I thought this was a guide for newbies. Until they find their way, I'd definitely consider Tomo's Trivia something to recommend to them.
@purpleebchan

It's great you've found some preferred ways to make treasure, but I thought this was a guide for newbies. Until they find their way, I'd definitely consider Tomo's Trivia something to recommend to them.
pSn2GKM.png If you like them, please Like them!
1 2