Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] Creating a dragon's character
1 2
[center][font=cambria][size=7]Creating a dragon's character by Whisky[/size][/font][/center] [center]Welcome lore writers of FR to my guide on how to create a dragon's personality. I made this guide for myself but after people showed interest I decided to share it with you guys! If you guys have any tips, trick, hints or feedback, feel free to let me know! I would like to exspand this as we go on. If there are any grammatical errors please let me know, English isn't my first language so there might be errors that I can't see. [quote][center][font=cambria][size=5]Resources and References on fr[/size][/font][/center][center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1777871]Dragon Bio Resources: Comprehensive[/url] by sgkat [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1444848#post_1444848]BBCode Fonts[/url] by Rhea [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1334185]Dragon Description Templates[/url] by Snapdragon [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1372481/1]Guide to Dragon Titles/Classes[/url] by biohazardBroski [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2086788/1]Super Lore Generator+Tools[/url] by VolatileMatter [center][url=http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/character-goal-generator.php#.WRcBR-uLSpo]Character Goal generator[/url] [url=http://bio-and-resource-codes-fr.tumblr.com/]Flight Rising Bio codes and recources[/url] [url=http://custom-fr-bios.tumblr.com/]Bio recources and more[/url] [url=http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/backstory-descriptions.php#.WRcib-uLSpo]Backstory description generator[/url] [url=http://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/backstory-idea.htm]Backstory idea generator[/url] [url=http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/personality-descriptions.php#.WRcjseuLSpo]Personality description generator[/url][/center] [/quote] [/center] [center][quote name=Thanks] I would like to thanks these guys for the tips, adds or suggestions they have made! @/VolatileMatter for linking me their other guide wich fits this one better @/SunDragon for suggesting [i]Speech patterns[/i][/quote][/center]
Creating a dragon's character by Whisky
Welcome lore writers of FR to my guide on how to create a dragon's personality. I made this guide for myself but after people showed interest I decided to share it with you guys! If you guys have any tips, trick, hints or feedback, feel free to let me know! I would like to exspand this as we go on. If there are any grammatical errors please let me know, English isn't my first language so there might be errors that I can't see.

Thanks wrote:
I would like to thanks these guys for the tips, adds or suggestions they have made!

@/VolatileMatter for linking me their other guide wich fits this one better
@/SunDragon for suggesting Speech patterns

ani_bw_328.gif ani_bw_329.gifani_bw_330.gif
[center][font=cambria][size=7]Creating a dragon's character[/size][/font][/center] [center]So you want to give your dragons some character but you don't know where to start, then I hope I can help you! First things first, you need to pick a dragon you want to give some character. I will go ahead and pick one of my new clan members Beast! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32679557] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/326796/32679557_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][font=cambria][size=5]The 4 p's[/size][/font][/center] [center]The 4 p's are maybe the most important words you need to remember when creating a character![LIST] [*] Physical [*] Psychological [*] Personal [*] Personality [/LIST] These few words are what make a character at the end of the day! So lets get started on the first one! [center][font=cambria][size=5]Physical[/size][/font][/center] [/center] These are the ones I use but feel free to add/remove as you wish! So again, I'm going to use Beast as a example! [LIST] [*][b]Voice[/b] [i]Since beast is an Imperial, It would be resonable that he has a deep voice maybe even echo-y. I'm going to give him a deep, rumbleing voice, maybe with a little hiss in there, like the dragon Smaug from The Hobbit. Maybe think about dragons who had a breed change, would their voice be the same? Or change with them?[/i] [*][b]Age[/b] [i]To me Beast look old. He has scars, worn down armor and he just screams veteran fighter so he can't be a year old but that is different for everyone. I will go ahead and make him 540 years old,older then my clan leader but younger then my general.[/i] [*][b]gender[/b] [i]Beast is a male Imperial. this is again, different for everyone. some people don't like certain poses so they may use a male imperial and adress it as a female, or the other way around.[/i] [*][b]Species/breed[/b] [i]This is a pretty simple one; Imperial[/i] [*][b]Sexuality[/b] [i]I will go ahead and make Beast Bi-sexual, after personal preferences.[/i] [*][b]Size[/b] [i]I will use the measurements in his information; Length: 6.98M, Wingspan: 4.35M. [/i] [*][b]weight[/b] [i]1570.08KG[/i] [*][b]Health[/b] [i]Beast looks like he took a dip in the Wyrmwound, him being a plague dragon not helping this fact. He was extra eyes everywhere, covered in scars, teeth everywhere so I can imaging that flying might be uncomfortable so he can be flightless or maybe only fly when needed. But health can be a number of things, think about diseases, missing limbs, blind, mute or deaf.[/i] [*][b]Assets[/b] [i]I allready established that Beast is a veteran so naturally he is a good fighter. I also imagin him being loyal and protective. Don't worry when you can't answer this one and 'flaws' immediatly, there might be things you come up with when you fill in the remaining 3 P's.[/i] [*][b]Flaws[/b] [i]To me he screams hothead and impatient. He would rather fight then talk wich makes him dangerous and unpredictable. These can be as big or as small as you want them to be, everything can add to his or her character![/i] [/LIST] [center]So this was only the first P and we allready know a lot more about beast! from the way he speaks to his flaws! Let move on to the next P.[/center] [center][font=cambria][size=5]Psychological[/size][/font][/center][LIST] [*][b]Intelligence[/b] [i]Does Beast look smart, no. is beast smart, no. Like we've read before he rather fights then talks so instead of having a brin he spends all his time seeking out harmless creatures in the training fields cause he wants those new familiars.[/i] [*][b]Temperament[/b] [i]We know he's a hothead that can't keep calm. These are the things you are born with and aren't learned. most can't control them and are as natural as breathing.[/i] [*][b]Habits[/b] [i]Beast has this weird habit that when he kills an enemy he has to roar, it helps frightening and scaring away enemies but it annoys his team mates to no end. habits are things we learn to do without thinking, like I crack my toes when i'm concentrating, I don't notice it until someone points it out or asks me to stop.[/i] [*][b]Self knowledge[/b] [i]Beast knows he's a hothead, is he willing to do something about it, no, but that's a differen't story. What he doesn't know about himself is that he's impatient, he thinks it's normal but to others dragons it comes across as impatience[/i] [*][b]Attitudes[/b] [i]Beast likes the new leader of my clan more then the older one. He hates Deamonis and Messiah because they always outsmart him but he likes ashfall because he is his teacher and coli teammate. Attitudes are the way you think about a person or an object.[/i] [*][b]Speech patterns[/b] [i]Beast likes to keep his sentences short, not talking more ten necessary. Do they use a lot of short sentences or long or medium. What phrases do they use a lot. Do they use any metaphors from fields they have experience with.[/i] [/LIST] So we know a bit more about Beast. He is starting to become alive instead of being pixels on a screen. We know that he isn't smart and has a weird habit that drives others insane. Shall we move on to the next P and give him some relationships and a way of life?. [center][font=cambria][size=5]Personal[/size][/font][/center] [LIST] [*][b]Family[/b] [i]Beast has two parents who are still active, Eclipse and Grapefruit. he also has a sister who has been exalted and a brother, Magma who now lives in the Shadow flight.[/i] [*][b]Friends[/b] [i]We allready know that he is friends with his mentor, Ashfall but he has a few more, an Imperial named Sanguinem and a Guardian named Coriumminus.[/i] [*][b]Mate[/b] [i]None, he doesn't believe that anyone could lve a brute such as him, but who know, love is a weird thing.[/i] [*][b]Wealth[/b] [i]In my clan dragons can keep the gold they find but have to give back to the clan, be it in gold for exspensions or bringing home food.[/i] [*][b]Posessions[/b] [i]He has his ow little place in the castle they live in where he keeps all of his stuff, this stuff includes old armor and weapons and trophies from enemies that he has killed.[/i] [*][b]Professions[/b] [i]He is a fighter, bringing in food, trinkets and maybe an egg or two on a good day.[/i] [*][b]Deity/Religion[/b] [i]Beast serves the Plaguebringer with fierce loyalty but maybe your dragon serves a different deity, or none at all![/i] [*][b]Lifestyle[/b] [i]He's an early bird and rarely sleeps, if my clan had coffee he would live off of it. He spends his time either fighting, training or coming up with new strategies with the other fighters.[/i] [*][b]Values[/b] [i]Beast values skill above smarts and gold. You don't have to be rich or smart to become his friend. as long as you are true, loyal and strong hearted he will be your friend.[/i] [*][b]Hobbies[/b] [i][s]screaming at sweetpuffs[/s] he has a few hobbies outside of fighting. He likes to design swors and armor and pass the ideas along to out backsmith, Ignis. He also likes to watch the sun sink and disapear behind the hills.[/i] [*][b]Childhood[/b] [i]Beast was born in a different clan where he grew up to become adult. there he had the choice, leave or be exalted. he chose to leave. he wandered for years until he found this clan. I kept it short here but it will be more detaile din his bio.[/i] [*][b]Birthplace[/b] [i]he was born in Plague, not much is know about his birthclan, they don't have a name and are pretty small. What is know is that there where a lot of different dragons with bright colors, a big contrast to him being mostly black.[/i] [*][b]Current residence[/b] [i]He now lives with a clan that calls themselves 'The Holy dawnguard' a clan of priests that protect the Abiding Boneyard[/i] [/LIST] Now wee know about his family and friends, we know that he worships the Plaguebringer and that he needed to make a lifechanging decision to save his life. Let's move on to the last P! [center][font=cambria][size=5]Personality[/size][/font][/center] [LIST] [*][b]Wants[/b] [i]Beast wants nothing more then become the strongest warrior of the clan. Wants can be similar to 'dreams' but can also be completely different or even impossible, like a Fea wanting to become an Imperial (unless you want to give your soul and first born child for a scroll)[/i] [*][b]Dreams[/b] [i]Beast dreams of being the best warrior , but hsi biggest drem is to bring home all those boss familiars, right now he allready brought back the Tunnel Hydra and he works day and night to get the others[/i] [*][b]Fears[/b] [i]Being exalted, he has seen it happen to his sister, who never knew her own name. This image has burned itself into his mind. She wasn't good and strong enough so she got exalted and while it's a high honor, he doesn't want to go as a useless fodder, he want to leave his mark into this world before he leaves.[/i] [*][b]Memories[/b] [i]His most important memories are those of his sisters exaltion, him leaving his clan and him finding his new home.[/i] [*][b]Hates[/b] [i]He dislikes traitors, himself being loyal. He doesn't get the fact that some can betray and lie like it's as simple as breathing and he is strongly against it.[/i] [*][b]Loves[/b] [i]His alone time. He isn't a big talker and while he loves his friends he needs his time along, maybe to think or design a new armor piece. he likes the silence.[/i] [*][b]Motivations[/b] [i]The xaltion of his sister is the motivation that keeps him going, to keep fighting every day and to becme stronger. To become better and show that he is worth it.[/i] [/LIST] And don't forget! [LIST] [*]Know how your dragon changes through the years or in certain situation! [*]Give them conflicts and contradictions, everyone runs into any troubles! [*]Consider their influences, in your clan, in others, or maybe in the whole world! [/LIST] Well that's it! Congratulations you reached the end of the four P's! that was a whole journey wasn't it! We learned alot about Beast and now he's ready to step into the world of my clan and start filling in his role. If you want to check him out, all the information I wrote here will be in his bio!
Creating a dragon's character
So you want to give your dragons some character but you don't know where to start,
then I hope I can help you!

First things first, you need to pick a dragon you want to give some character. I will go ahead and pick one of my new clan members Beast!

32679557_350.png
The 4 p's
The 4 p's are maybe the most important words you need to remember when creating a character!
  • Physical
  • Psychological
  • Personal
  • Personality

These few words are what make a character at the end of the day! So lets get started on the first one!
Physical
These are the ones I use but feel free to add/remove as you wish! So again, I'm going to use Beast as a example!
  • Voice
    Since beast is an Imperial, It would be resonable that he has a deep voice maybe even echo-y. I'm going to give him a deep, rumbleing voice, maybe with a little hiss in there, like the dragon Smaug from The Hobbit. Maybe think about dragons who had a breed change, would their voice be the same? Or change with them?
    To me Beast look old. He has scars, worn down armor and he just screams veteran fighter so he can't be a year old but that is different for everyone. I will go ahead and make him 540 years old,older then my clan leader but younger then my general.
    Beast is a male Imperial. this is again, different for everyone. some people don't like certain poses so they may use a male imperial and adress it as a female, or the other way around.
  • Species/breed
    This is a pretty simple one; Imperial
  • Sexuality
    I will go ahead and make Beast Bi-sexual, after personal preferences.
  • Size
    I will use the measurements in his information; Length: 6.98M, Wingspan: 4.35M.
  • weight
    1570.08KG
  • Health
    Beast looks like he took a dip in the Wyrmwound, him being a plague dragon not helping this fact. He was extra eyes everywhere, covered in scars, teeth everywhere so I can imaging that flying might be uncomfortable so he can be flightless or maybe only fly when needed. But health can be a number of things, think about diseases, missing limbs, blind, mute or deaf.
  • Assets
    I allready established that Beast is a veteran so naturally he is a good fighter. I also imagin him being loyal and protective. Don't worry when you can't answer this one and 'flaws' immediatly, there might be things you come up with when you fill in the remaining 3 P's.
  • Flaws
    To me he screams hothead and impatient. He would rather fight then talk wich makes him dangerous and unpredictable. These can be as big or as small as you want them to be, everything can add to his or her character!
So this was only the first P and we allready know a lot more about beast! from the way he speaks to his flaws! Let move on to the next P.

Psychological
  • Intelligence
    Does Beast look smart, no. is beast smart, no. Like we've read before he rather fights then talks so instead of having a brin he spends all his time seeking out harmless creatures in the training fields cause he wants those new familiars.
  • Temperament
    We know he's a hothead that can't keep calm. These are the things you are born with and aren't learned. most can't control them and are as natural as breathing.
  • Habits
    Beast has this weird habit that when he kills an enemy he has to roar, it helps frightening and scaring away enemies but it annoys his team mates to no end. habits are things we learn to do without thinking, like I crack my toes when i'm concentrating, I don't notice it until someone points it out or asks me to stop.
  • Self knowledge
    Beast knows he's a hothead, is he willing to do something about it, no, but that's a differen't story. What he doesn't know about himself is that he's impatient, he thinks it's normal but to others dragons it comes across as impatience
  • Attitudes
    Beast likes the new leader of my clan more then the older one. He hates Deamonis and Messiah because they always outsmart him but he likes ashfall because he is his teacher and coli teammate. Attitudes are the way you think about a person or an object.
  • Speech patterns
    Beast likes to keep his sentences short, not talking more ten necessary. Do they use a lot of short sentences or long or medium. What phrases do they use a lot. Do they use any metaphors from fields they have experience with.

So we know a bit more about Beast. He is starting to become alive instead of being pixels on a screen. We know that he isn't smart and has a weird habit that drives others insane. Shall we move on to the next P and give him some relationships and a way of life?.

Personal
  • Family
    Beast has two parents who are still active, Eclipse and Grapefruit. he also has a sister who has been exalted and a brother, Magma who now lives in the Shadow flight.
  • Friends
    We allready know that he is friends with his mentor, Ashfall but he has a few more, an Imperial named Sanguinem and a Guardian named Coriumminus.
  • Mate
    None, he doesn't believe that anyone could lve a brute such as him, but who know, love is a weird thing.
  • Wealth
    In my clan dragons can keep the gold they find but have to give back to the clan, be it in gold for exspensions or bringing home food.
  • Posessions
    He has his ow little place in the castle they live in where he keeps all of his stuff, this stuff includes old armor and weapons and trophies from enemies that he has killed.
  • Professions
    He is a fighter, bringing in food, trinkets and maybe an egg or two on a good day.
  • Deity/Religion
    Beast serves the Plaguebringer with fierce loyalty but maybe your dragon serves a different deity, or none at all!
  • Lifestyle
    He's an early bird and rarely sleeps, if my clan had coffee he would live off of it. He spends his time either fighting, training or coming up with new strategies with the other fighters.
  • Values
    Beast values skill above smarts and gold. You don't have to be rich or smart to become his friend. as long as you are true, loyal and strong hearted he will be your friend.
  • Hobbies
    screaming at sweetpuffs he has a few hobbies outside of fighting. He likes to design swors and armor and pass the ideas along to out backsmith, Ignis. He also likes to watch the sun sink and disapear behind the hills.
  • Childhood
    Beast was born in a different clan where he grew up to become adult. there he had the choice,
    leave or be exalted. he chose to leave. he wandered for years until he found this clan. I kept it short here but it will be more detaile din his bio.
  • Birthplace
    he was born in Plague, not much is know about his birthclan, they don't have a name and are pretty small. What is know is that there where a lot of different dragons with bright colors, a big contrast to him being mostly black.
  • Current residence
    He now lives with a clan that calls themselves 'The Holy dawnguard' a clan of priests that protect the Abiding Boneyard

Now wee know about his family and friends, we know that he worships the Plaguebringer and that he needed to make a lifechanging decision to save his life. Let's move on to the last P!

Personality
  • Wants
    Beast wants nothing more then become the strongest warrior of the clan. Wants can be similar to 'dreams' but can also be completely different or even impossible, like a Fea wanting to become an Imperial (unless you want to give your soul and first born child for a scroll)
  • Dreams
    Beast dreams of being the best warrior , but hsi biggest drem is to bring home all those boss familiars, right now he allready brought back the Tunnel Hydra and he works day and night to get the others
  • Fears
    Being exalted, he has seen it happen to his sister, who never knew her own name. This image has burned itself into his mind. She wasn't good and strong enough so she got exalted and while it's a high honor, he doesn't want to go as a useless fodder, he want to leave his mark into this world before he leaves.
  • Memories
    His most important memories are those of his sisters exaltion, him leaving his clan and him finding his new home.
  • Hates
    He dislikes traitors, himself being loyal. He doesn't get the fact that some can betray and lie like it's as simple as breathing and he is strongly against it.
  • Loves
    His alone time. He isn't a big talker and while he loves his friends he needs his time along, maybe to think or design a new armor piece. he likes the silence.
  • Motivations
    The xaltion of his sister is the motivation that keeps him going, to keep fighting every day and to becme stronger. To become better and show that he is worth it.

And don't forget!
  • Know how your dragon changes through the years or in certain situation!
  • Give them conflicts and contradictions, everyone runs into any troubles!
  • Consider their influences, in your clan, in others, or maybe in the whole world!

Well that's it! Congratulations you reached the end of the four P's! that was a whole journey wasn't it! We learned alot about Beast and now he's ready to step into the world of my clan and start filling in his role.

If you want to check him out, all the information I wrote here will be in his bio!
Reserved just in case!
Reserved just in case!
@Rexcaliburr @ToastHoarder @SunDragon @crazyraspberry
@Heeroku @Krocodalie @After @Murakali
@Ashrahn @MissGoldenPixel @Merminea

Again, thanks for the interest! Here is the guide! I hope it's easy to use and above all usefull!
@Rexcaliburr @ToastHoarder @SunDragon @crazyraspberry
@Heeroku @Krocodalie @After @Murakali
@Ashrahn @MissGoldenPixel @Merminea

Again, thanks for the interest! Here is the guide! I hope it's easy to use and above all usefull!
@WhiskyAndCigars

Ooh this is extremely helpful! Thank you for pinging me!
@WhiskyAndCigars

Ooh this is extremely helpful! Thank you for pinging me!
m6vglJ1.png
@WhiskyAndCigars
It appears I accidentally posted n the other thread somehow. XD I was interested anyway so it's fine! This is really helpful! (@Visionrift come look)
@WhiskyAndCigars
It appears I accidentally posted n the other thread somehow. XD I was interested anyway so it's fine! This is really helpful! (@Visionrift come look)
MBjujvx.png
@WhiskyAndCigars Ey thank you for listing my apps :D You might wanna link to this instead tho, cause it's more purely lore http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2086788/1
@WhiskyAndCigars Ey thank you for listing my apps :D You might wanna link to this instead tho, cause it's more purely lore http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2086788/1
dNCLmdm.png u Spreadsheet Enthusiast u My tools website
u Wishlist u CC Free Bio Resources
u My suggestions u Offsite Tools Masterlist
-
- Please pick dragons from my hibden for forum games! -
I subscribe to every thread I make.
@WhiskyAndCigars
Ok this is cool and really neat

@crazyaspberry
thanks for showing me this
@WhiskyAndCigars
Ok this is cool and really neat

@crazyaspberry
thanks for showing me this
kageyama_emote_by_bwsweetpeaa-dapx8sa.gif 0MaKSzV.png hinata_emote_by_bwsweetpeaa-dappevb.gif
@WhiskyAndCigars
This is cool, but might I suggest you add under psychological speech patterns. Like do they use a lot of short sentences or long or medium. What phrases do they use a lot. Do they use any metaphors from fields they have experience with.
@WhiskyAndCigars
This is cool, but might I suggest you add under psychological speech patterns. Like do they use a lot of short sentences or long or medium. What phrases do they use a lot. Do they use any metaphors from fields they have experience with.
ECNdq9d.png
@VolatileMatter

Thanks for letting me know! I will edit it :3

@SunDragon
Thanks! I will add it to the list! This is just a list with points that I personally use so every help is welcome.
@VolatileMatter

Thanks for letting me know! I will edit it :3

@SunDragon
Thanks! I will add it to the list! This is just a list with points that I personally use so every help is welcome.
1 2