Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] Morhighana's Auction House Guide
1 2
[center][size=7][b]Morhighana's Auction House Guide[/b][/size][/center] Also see my Unofficial Newbie Guide! [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1738811/1][img]https://67.media.tumblr.com/4440f301018fab22dd6ed6a2794abd0b/tumblr_o6ok5cbADB1sjgviio1_500.png[/img][/url] [b]Preface:[/b] From June 24 to 26 2015 I made over 2,600,000 Treasure on the Auction House alone. I also made over a hundred Gems from Auction House Sales. I was so busy auctioning, I didn't even get a chance to play Shock Switch. And I did it without selling any rare items. I feel that this was a success, and wanted to share my success to try to encourage practices for a stable economy that experiences healthy growth. [b]Links:[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1062844&p=mb]AH Guide: Undercutting + Item Worth[/url] I've found it to be absolutely helpful to keep this thread's lessons in mind while working with the auction house. [center][size=7][b]Guide[/b][/size][/center] [b]Notes:[/b] [b]I find it helpful to have two windows open with the auction house. One with the buying tab open so you can check prices, one with the selling tab open so you can easily input and sell your item.[/b] Also you don't have to type in the name this way. [b]Additionally, ALL of my auctions are listed for one day.[/b]They usually sell by the time I'm finished listing them. If not, someone probably undercut me or the item is not in high demand. [center][size=5][b]Selling Apparel[/b][/size][/center] I started with apparel. I took all of my apparel that I had left over from a selling spree the previous day (not much), and looked up the prices, then undercut it by 1 Treasure. Or if there were many of the item, maybe 20-50 treasure. The point is, not much! [center][img]http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q790/Bone2Pixel/AHGuide1_zpslc9goa2i.png[/img][/center] [center][size=5][b]Selling Familiars[/b][/size][/center] I did the same with all the familiars that followed me home after grinding in the coliseum. Undercut, undercut. [center][size=5][b]Selling Materials/Trinkets/Swipp Items[/b][/size][/center] THEN I went to other/materials and sold my stacks of 99. If they were swipp items, I’d sell stacks of the number needed to trade swipp. If I didn’t have a lot of the item, I sold stacks of 10, 5, 2, and 1 until I had none to very little of the item left. So say an item is 50 Treasure from autosell. 99x50 = 4950, but you want to make a profit, right? And most other people are selling that item for like….15,000. So say you have a couple stacks. Sell one at 14,999. Sell the other at (99x50) x 2. Aka 9900 Don’t be afraid to bump it up to 10,000. We’re trying to think like wholesalers here. Now, I make sure it’s good and cheap when I have a stack of x99. This is what I like to call a “bulk discount” but there’s actually some science-y arithmetic and statistics behind it. Anyway, I don’t do that with smaller stacks. Say it’s a swipp item and you need 40 to make the trade. 40x50=2000. 2000x2 = 4000. But this item is IN DEMAND and also, 99 of it = 10000. (Why? BECAUSE YOU MADE IT SO.) So we’ll bump that up to at least 5000. Depends on what other sellers are doing. 10 items. We’ll get less of an inflation from the “wholesale” price here. 10x50=500. If we’re lucky, the item won’t be very common and we might be able to multiply that by 2 to get 1000 for the stack of ten. If not, it’s fine. Bump it up to 800 or so, depending on what others have it priced at. 5 items follows suit of 10, as does 2. For singular items, I’d check the autosell price and then bump it up 20-50 treasure. 50 becomes 75 or 100, and people like those numbers and will hopefully buy them. [center][size=5][b]Selling Food[/b][/size][/center] I sold food stacks of x99 for an undercut of 1 Treasure from the lowest price of x99 that was listed. If that didn’t work, I’d sell it for Gems. Stacks of 99 with 2 food points = 10 Gems, 3 food points = 15 Gems, give or take. They sold like hotcakes. [center][size=5][b]Selling Holiday Currency[/b][/size][/center] Also, as I waited for things to sell after the initial mass-listing, I’d grind in the coliseum. As I did so I accumulated many Immaculate Tablets. I started to sell them in stacks of x10 for 10,000. Then the price went up to 15,000 so I relisted. Someone drove the price down to 11,000, so I bought theirs and relisted them for a higher price. (I mean I was ROLLING in treasure at that point, I could do it.) This kept the economy for Immaculate Tablets from tanking. I’m currently trying to encourage it to stay around 13,500 and above. So I coli grind until I have 10 tablets, then sell them. Lather, rinse, repeat. It all adds up over time! [center][img]http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q790/Bone2Pixel/AHGuide2_zpsbv7vhnhl.png[/img][/center] You’ll be able to tell if you’ve done well, because by the time you’ve put up several pages of items, when you refresh or go to a different page, you’ll have a lot of notifications and packages full of money from the auction house! At least, that’s how it was for me. Some items sold immediately, some took about 12 hours. After that point it’s time to either cancel and re-price them or wait for the auction timer to die with the vain hope that someone will buy it up last minute. [center][size=7][b]Update 10/5/2015:[/b][/size][/center] [center][size=5][b]Experimenting with Gem Sales[/b][/size][/center] So I've been experimenting with selling items for Gems. Currently, Gems are ranging from 1:600-1:700 Gem:Treasure ratio, from what I've seen. Mostly I've had success selling Battle Items for gems. I now only sell them for treasure if the item has flooded the AH at the price of one gem. Or I sell them for treasure if the item is worth more in treasure than it is in gems. Currently I'm averaging that gems are 1:650, so if the item is worth over 650 in treasure, I'm sure to sell it in treasure. Otherwise, gems seem to be the way to go. I made well over 100 Gems today. Thanks for reading, and if you have any tips or tricks that work for you, feel free to comment!
Morhighana's Auction House Guide

Also see my Unofficial Newbie Guide!
tumblr_o6ok5cbADB1sjgviio1_500.png

Preface:
From June 24 to 26 2015 I made over 2,600,000 Treasure on the Auction House alone. I also made over a hundred Gems from Auction House Sales. I was so busy auctioning, I didn't even get a chance to play Shock Switch. And I did it without selling any rare items.
I feel that this was a success, and wanted to share my success to try to encourage practices for a stable economy that experiences healthy growth.

Links:
AH Guide: Undercutting + Item Worth
I've found it to be absolutely helpful to keep this thread's lessons in mind while working with the auction house.
Guide

Notes:
I find it helpful to have two windows open with the auction house. One with the buying tab open so you can check prices, one with the selling tab open so you can easily input and sell your item. Also you don't have to type in the name this way.

Additionally, ALL of my auctions are listed for one day.They usually sell by the time I'm finished listing them. If not, someone probably undercut me or the item is not in high demand.
Selling Apparel
I started with apparel.
I took all of my apparel that I had left over from a selling spree the previous day (not much), and looked up the prices, then undercut it by 1 Treasure. Or if there were many of the item, maybe 20-50 treasure. The point is, not much!
AHGuide1_zpslc9goa2i.png
Selling Familiars
I did the same with all the familiars that followed me home after grinding in the coliseum. Undercut, undercut.
Selling Materials/Trinkets/Swipp Items
THEN I went to other/materials and sold my stacks of 99. If they were swipp items, I’d sell stacks of the number needed to trade swipp. If I didn’t have a lot of the item, I sold stacks of 10, 5, 2, and 1 until I had none to very little of the item left.

So say an item is 50 Treasure from autosell.

99x50 = 4950, but you want to make a profit, right? And most other people are selling that item for like….15,000. So say you have a couple stacks. Sell one at 14,999. Sell the other at (99x50) x 2. Aka 9900 Don’t be afraid to bump it up to 10,000. We’re trying to think like wholesalers here.

Now, I make sure it’s good and cheap when I have a stack of x99. This is what I like to call a “bulk discount” but there’s actually some science-y arithmetic and statistics behind it. Anyway, I don’t do that with smaller stacks.

Say it’s a swipp item and you need 40 to make the trade. 40x50=2000. 2000x2 = 4000. But this item is IN DEMAND and also, 99 of it = 10000. (Why? BECAUSE YOU MADE IT SO.) So we’ll bump that up to at least 5000. Depends on what other sellers are doing.

10 items. We’ll get less of an inflation from the “wholesale” price here. 10x50=500. If we’re lucky, the item won’t be very common and we might be able to multiply that by 2 to get 1000 for the stack of ten. If not, it’s fine. Bump it up to 800 or so, depending on what others have it priced at.

5 items follows suit of 10, as does 2.

For singular items, I’d check the autosell price and then bump it up 20-50 treasure. 50 becomes 75 or 100, and people like those numbers and will hopefully buy them.
Selling Food
I sold food stacks of x99 for an undercut of 1 Treasure from the lowest price of x99 that was listed. If that didn’t work, I’d sell it for Gems. Stacks of 99 with 2 food points = 10 Gems, 3 food points = 15 Gems, give or take. They sold like hotcakes.
Selling Holiday Currency
Also, as I waited for things to sell after the initial mass-listing, I’d grind in the coliseum. As I did so I accumulated many Immaculate Tablets. I started to sell them in stacks of x10 for 10,000. Then the price went up to 15,000 so I relisted. Someone drove the price down to 11,000, so I bought theirs and relisted them for a higher price. (I mean I was ROLLING in treasure at that point, I could do it.) This kept the economy for Immaculate Tablets from tanking. I’m currently trying to encourage it to stay around 13,500 and above. So I coli grind until I have 10 tablets, then sell them. Lather, rinse, repeat. It all adds up over time!
AHGuide2_zpsbv7vhnhl.png

You’ll be able to tell if you’ve done well, because by the time you’ve put up several pages of items, when you refresh or go to a different page, you’ll have a lot of notifications and packages full of money from the auction house! At least, that’s how it was for me. Some items sold immediately, some took about 12 hours. After that point it’s time to either cancel and re-price them or wait for the auction timer to die with the vain hope that someone will buy it up last minute.
Update 10/5/2015:
Experimenting with Gem Sales

So I've been experimenting with selling items for Gems.
Currently, Gems are ranging from 1:600-1:700 Gem:Treasure ratio, from what I've seen.
Mostly I've had success selling Battle Items for gems. I now only sell them for treasure if the item has flooded the AH at the price of one gem. Or I sell them for treasure if the item is worth more in treasure than it is in gems.
Currently I'm averaging that gems are 1:650, so if the item is worth over 650 in treasure, I'm sure to sell it in treasure. Otherwise, gems seem to be the way to go. I made well over 100 Gems today.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any tips or tricks that work for you, feel free to comment!
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
Update: Over the course of three days I made over 2.6 Million on the auction house and autoselling/hoarding what didn't make it on the AH.
Update: Over the course of three days I made over 2.6 Million on the auction house and autoselling/hoarding what didn't make it on the AH.
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
@Morhighana This guide is JUST what I was looking for...thank you!

I have a question about autoselling....I have heard the term (and also autobuying?)....but am unclear what it means. Is there another component of the AH that I am not aware of?

I just finished a hoarding period (ended at Brightshine) and have soooo much stuff to sell...I think I will start with the stacks of stuff.

Thank you, and I hope you can further enlighten me!
@Morhighana This guide is JUST what I was looking for...thank you!

I have a question about autoselling....I have heard the term (and also autobuying?)....but am unclear what it means. Is there another component of the AH that I am not aware of?

I just finished a hoarding period (ended at Brightshine) and have soooo much stuff to sell...I think I will start with the stacks of stuff.

Thank you, and I hope you can further enlighten me!
PyeohlG.png
@Moorising I'm glad it is of help! Okay, so when you look at item, say.... [item=Ivy] And you hover over it and the description pops up, there's a little number in the bottom left corner. So for ivy, it's "Sell Value: 75" When you are in your hoard and you select the item and hit sell (as opposed to "To Vault" or "Convert" in the case of food), that is autoselling. :) At least, that is what I've been told! The best week to make money like this is during the elemental holiday because once you get everything you need from the festival shop, you can sell your elemental holiday currency. Stacks of 10 for 10,000-15,000 Treasure seems to work well. :) So save up for Thundercrack! :D
@Moorising
I'm glad it is of help!

Okay, so when you look at item, say....

Ivy

And you hover over it and the description pops up, there's a little number in the bottom left corner.
So for ivy, it's "Sell Value: 75"
When you are in your hoard and you select the item and hit sell (as opposed to "To Vault" or "Convert" in the case of food), that is autoselling. :) At least, that is what I've been told!

The best week to make money like this is during the elemental holiday because once you get everything you need from the festival shop, you can sell your elemental holiday currency. Stacks of 10 for 10,000-15,000 Treasure seems to work well. :)
So save up for Thundercrack! :D
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
@Morhighana. Thank you....so you auto sell your festival currency?

I was told once not to autosell ( now that I know the meaning of the word) because you can make more treasure in the AH. But that is a lot of work. And the difference isn't much in some cases. What percentage of things would you say you auto sell vs. auction?
@Morhighana. Thank you....so you auto sell your festival currency?

I was told once not to autosell ( now that I know the meaning of the word) because you can make more treasure in the AH. But that is a lot of work. And the difference isn't much in some cases. What percentage of things would you say you auto sell vs. auction?
PyeohlG.png
@Moorising Nah, I sell festival currency on the AH because it's worth 0 on autosell. :3 Generally the currency tends to go a little over 1000 each. So sell it in stacks of ten and people buy it right up.

It depends on the item, but it's generally true. It is a lot of work, but well worth it!
Swipp and Baldwin stuff you can usually sell on the AH, along with familiars and apparel.
If you look up an item and see that the AH price is at or below (or barely above) the autosell price, you have a better chance of autoselling it to make money. Or, hold on to it if you think the prices might change later. I'd say it's about 50-50 with autosell vs auction house.

Some apparel and familiars won't sell no matter how hard you try, for instance. Rather than autoselling them, I try to see if there are any raffles that need apparel or familiars and enter them for tickets. ;) Because in the end, it's more fun that way for me, haha.

You can always try opening a shop with your spare items in the "Items for Sale" subforum, but from what I've seen it's a lot more work and I haven't had a good payoff from it. Though I could be doing it wrong, heh.
@Moorising Nah, I sell festival currency on the AH because it's worth 0 on autosell. :3 Generally the currency tends to go a little over 1000 each. So sell it in stacks of ten and people buy it right up.

It depends on the item, but it's generally true. It is a lot of work, but well worth it!
Swipp and Baldwin stuff you can usually sell on the AH, along with familiars and apparel.
If you look up an item and see that the AH price is at or below (or barely above) the autosell price, you have a better chance of autoselling it to make money. Or, hold on to it if you think the prices might change later. I'd say it's about 50-50 with autosell vs auction house.

Some apparel and familiars won't sell no matter how hard you try, for instance. Rather than autoselling them, I try to see if there are any raffles that need apparel or familiars and enter them for tickets. ;) Because in the end, it's more fun that way for me, haha.

You can always try opening a shop with your spare items in the "Items for Sale" subforum, but from what I've seen it's a lot more work and I haven't had a good payoff from it. Though I could be doing it wrong, heh.
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
Awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience with me! I need to get selling ask this junk I have accumulated!
Awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience with me! I need to get selling ask this junk I have accumulated!
PyeohlG.png
@anhbon921
For reference.
@anhbon921
For reference.
Currently, Gems are ranging from 1:600-1:700 Gem:Treasure ratio, from what I've seen.
Mostly I've had success selling Battle Items for gems. I now only sell them for treasure if the item has flooded the AH at the price of one gem. Or I sell them for treasure if the item is worth more in treasure than it is in gems.
Currently I'm averaging that gems are 1:650, so if the item is worth over 650 in treasure, I'm sure to sell it in treasure. Otherwise, gems seem to be the way to go. I made well over 100 Gems today.

I'll add my findings to the first post!

I'll add my findings to the first post!
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
This is so helpful! I am raking in the cashmoneys. Thanks for making this, @Morhighana!
This is so helpful! I am raking in the cashmoneys. Thanks for making this, @Morhighana!
wp1cEPW.png
1 2