Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] Lore Clans (No longer updating)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
@Div3rge
:c I'm sorry that I've upset you with my wording and saying things incorrectly. But the caps and overall disgruntled wording in your own post were unnecessary. I'm willing to take constructive criticism, and would be happy to hear your suggestions on how I should rewrite that portion of the guide.
@Div3rge
:c I'm sorry that I've upset you with my wording and saying things incorrectly. But the caps and overall disgruntled wording in your own post were unnecessary. I'm willing to take constructive criticism, and would be happy to hear your suggestions on how I should rewrite that portion of the guide.
Demesne, s before n || Avatar || Dragon Sales || CrimQuest || Coli Grinder

A cropped image of the Hall of Armor Scene. There is a long hall lined with sets of armor modeled after Coatl dragons on the left and Guardian dragons on the right. Sunlight streams in from windows on the left side.
@Demesne

First off, this is an awesome guide. Very straightforward and easy to follow (I couldn't help but laugh; I had no knowledge of FR at all when I joined and happened to pick the flight that just about mirrors my personality).

Secondly, a minor point with your genders, specifically transgender. Your definition is good, but I was a little confused as to what you meant by 'assigned gender'. Does that mean what you were born with? What your clan leader decided? What your deity decided? I'm guessing 'born with' from context, but that's a little bit confusing.

I'm sorry to see the negative comments that have sprouted up. Please don't let them discourage you! This is excellent!

Pinging myself so i don't lose this
@Stormdance
@Demesne

First off, this is an awesome guide. Very straightforward and easy to follow (I couldn't help but laugh; I had no knowledge of FR at all when I joined and happened to pick the flight that just about mirrors my personality).

Secondly, a minor point with your genders, specifically transgender. Your definition is good, but I was a little confused as to what you meant by 'assigned gender'. Does that mean what you were born with? What your clan leader decided? What your deity decided? I'm guessing 'born with' from context, but that's a little bit confusing.

I'm sorry to see the negative comments that have sprouted up. Please don't let them discourage you! This is excellent!

Pinging myself so i don't lose this
@Stormdance
mkpoaHZ.png
@Stormdance
Yes, 'assigned gender' does mean the one a dragon is born as. I'll go ahead and add a bit of clarification. ^^; Sorry it was a bit confusing.

And thank you. One negative comment isn't going to stop me, but hopefully in the future I can get constructive criticisms and suggestions instead of negativity.
@Stormdance
Yes, 'assigned gender' does mean the one a dragon is born as. I'll go ahead and add a bit of clarification. ^^; Sorry it was a bit confusing.

And thank you. One negative comment isn't going to stop me, but hopefully in the future I can get constructive criticisms and suggestions instead of negativity.

A cropped image of the Hall of Armor Scene. There is a long hall lined with sets of armor modeled after Coatl dragons on the left and Guardian dragons on the right. Sunlight streams in from windows on the left side.
@Demesne

I understand the feeling. I wish you all the best!
@Demesne

I understand the feeling. I wish you all the best!
mkpoaHZ.png
@Demesne

I already told you exactly where it was wrong and how it could be corrected.
@Demesne

I already told you exactly where it was wrong and how it could be corrected.
knhLXgs.png
[quote name="Div3rge" date=2015-08-01 23:20:00] As an author who has been published, I just wanted to say that this is WRONG. All over, so much wrong. LONG does not equal GOOD. Purple prose is FROWNED UPON by anyone who knows anything about writing. The most effective stories and descriptions can be as short as a sentence or two. It does NOT have to be long or wordy to be good. In fact, the first example listed here- the 'wrong' one- is perfectly fine as it is. And better, in fact, then the run-on, purple prosey one that is 'correct'. My editor would have chewed me out but good for sending her that. [/quote] [center][color=purple]@Div3rge Your caps were still unnecessary, as was the overall attitude given off by your first post. Had you come here and [i]calmly[/i] given me suggestions and told me how to correct my "purple prose" mistake, I would have just thanked you and fixed it. But as it stands, you came off as aggressive, and used your publish status as a way of saying you know better than I. But I will attempt to work with your "suggestion", and fix that portion of the guide a bit. In the future, please suggest fixes without using caps and insulting my writing style/preferences.
Div3rge wrote on 2015-08-01:
As an author who has been published, I just wanted to say that this is WRONG. All over, so much wrong. LONG does not equal GOOD. Purple prose is FROWNED UPON by anyone who knows anything about writing. The most effective stories and descriptions can be as short as a sentence or two. It does NOT have to be long or wordy to be good. In fact, the first example listed here- the 'wrong' one- is perfectly fine as it is. And better, in fact, then the run-on, purple prosey one that is 'correct'. My editor would have chewed me out but good for sending her that.
@Div3rge
Your caps were still unnecessary, as was the overall attitude given off by your first post. Had you come here and calmly given me suggestions and told me how to correct my "purple prose" mistake, I would have just thanked you and fixed it. But as it stands, you came off as aggressive, and used your publish status as a way of saying you know better than I.

But I will attempt to work with your "suggestion", and fix that portion of the guide a bit. In the future, please suggest fixes without using caps and insulting my writing style/preferences.

@Snowkitty16
@Snowkitty16
YjWoQ61.pngdyJlfAc.pngsWzvwVV.png
Wonderful guide. Pinging myself to remember where this is if I need to look up something. Keep up the good work!

@Capcicle
Wonderful guide. Pinging myself to remember where this is if I need to look up something. Keep up the good work!

@Capcicle
@Shadowrunner
Pinging myself so I can use it later.
@Shadowrunner
Pinging myself so I can use it later.
@Demesne

This is so awesome! I absolutely LOVE the quotes. This a great guide for people looking to start RPing or those looking for ideas on how to work on a certain dragon, etc. You should ask to have it linked in Barbie's master list, if you haven't already.

Because I've recently been thrown into what's been lovingly called the "alphabet soup" of what's become the LGBT community, I still have quite a bit of confusion on gender/sexuality/etc., but research has really helped! And so I shall help you. please pardon the fact that, as a biologist and a hospital lab tech, I'm not embarrassed by anatomical terms and the like, so things may be... I would say graphic but that would be a negative connotation. Specific.

Intersex, by the very basic definition, is someone that is born with genitalia that is not typical of the cisgenders. You could essentially think of it as a politically correct way to talk about someone who is hermaphroditic. Most intersex humans have been "fixed" by doctors at birth by correcting their assigned gender to one or the other based on what's formed and what isn't, though this is becoming more rare. Since such surgery may not be much of an option on Sornieth, an intersex dragon would basically have a little of both sets of reproductive organs, in essence. How they appear physically would depend on which gonads and hormones are available. A person/dragon could be born with a penis but have ovaries instead of testes, and so they would have more estrogen and would appear female in most aspects. In this example, you could get a ridgeback that has outward male primary sex characteristics but wouldn't have a prominent nose-horn.

I have a few additions as well. Neutrois is another and/or similar term for agender (I'm honestly not entirely sure what the difference is, myself, so we may need an expert opinion on this). Demigender describes someone who is in some gray area between two genders. To use myself as an example, I identify as a demigirl - I don't feel particularly feminine, but I also don't feel agender. Genderqueer is a good catch-all for persons/dragons that don't particularly fall in a specific category and/or don't care to label themselves further. One last addition might be Gray-A. The "gray" part describes the gray area it covers between asexuality and... well, everything else. A rather superficial example of this would be a dragon who generally doesn't really feel any need to mate but then sees a guardian with an absolutely luxurious beard and "falls in love" with it and subsequently said guardian.

If you have any more questions, let me know and/or ping @ricci since she's the expert on the subject and taught me a lot of what I know.

Thanks again for a great guide!
@Demesne

This is so awesome! I absolutely LOVE the quotes. This a great guide for people looking to start RPing or those looking for ideas on how to work on a certain dragon, etc. You should ask to have it linked in Barbie's master list, if you haven't already.

Because I've recently been thrown into what's been lovingly called the "alphabet soup" of what's become the LGBT community, I still have quite a bit of confusion on gender/sexuality/etc., but research has really helped! And so I shall help you. please pardon the fact that, as a biologist and a hospital lab tech, I'm not embarrassed by anatomical terms and the like, so things may be... I would say graphic but that would be a negative connotation. Specific.

Intersex, by the very basic definition, is someone that is born with genitalia that is not typical of the cisgenders. You could essentially think of it as a politically correct way to talk about someone who is hermaphroditic. Most intersex humans have been "fixed" by doctors at birth by correcting their assigned gender to one or the other based on what's formed and what isn't, though this is becoming more rare. Since such surgery may not be much of an option on Sornieth, an intersex dragon would basically have a little of both sets of reproductive organs, in essence. How they appear physically would depend on which gonads and hormones are available. A person/dragon could be born with a penis but have ovaries instead of testes, and so they would have more estrogen and would appear female in most aspects. In this example, you could get a ridgeback that has outward male primary sex characteristics but wouldn't have a prominent nose-horn.

I have a few additions as well. Neutrois is another and/or similar term for agender (I'm honestly not entirely sure what the difference is, myself, so we may need an expert opinion on this). Demigender describes someone who is in some gray area between two genders. To use myself as an example, I identify as a demigirl - I don't feel particularly feminine, but I also don't feel agender. Genderqueer is a good catch-all for persons/dragons that don't particularly fall in a specific category and/or don't care to label themselves further. One last addition might be Gray-A. The "gray" part describes the gray area it covers between asexuality and... well, everything else. A rather superficial example of this would be a dragon who generally doesn't really feel any need to mate but then sees a guardian with an absolutely luxurious beard and "falls in love" with it and subsequently said guardian.

If you have any more questions, let me know and/or ping @ricci since she's the expert on the subject and taught me a lot of what I know.

Thanks again for a great guide!
Ovy5qGZ.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13