Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] Lore Clans (No longer updating)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
[quote=March 28, 2022]Hey guys. I made this guide a long time ago, and while I'm happy that so many people have found it helpful over the years, I don't have the same passion for it that I used to. I haven't for some time now. [b]This guide will remain as it is[/b], I'm not taking it down or changing it further. Maybe some day I'll remake this guide and it'll be better. Maybe someone else will make a new version (which would be really cool, I'd love to see it!). For now though, thank you for even giving this guide a glance. Hopefully this relic can still help others until something better comes along.[/quote] [center][font=century gothic][size=7]Demesne's Guide to Lore Clans[/size][/font] The Big Bad Encyclopedia for Lore Writing. 1. Introduction | Resources 2. Creating a Clan | Creating Clan Lore 3. Flight Rising Lore And You 4. Creating Roleplay Dragons 5. Tying Dragons Together 6. The Eleven Flights 7. An Impractical Guide to Dragons 8. An Impractical Guide to Dragons 2 Welcome writers, roleplayers, and everyone in between! With this guide my goal is to provide resources, tips, tricks and more when it comes to the lore creation process. I encourage feedback and criticism, and if you have hints of your own don't be afraid to tell me. I'd love for this to expand as time goes on! Also, please do point out any grammar/spelling mistakes, though please note that I tend to use a mix of American and British English due to personal preferences. [quote] [font=century gothic][size=5]Resources and References[/size][/font] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1777871]Dragon Bio Resources: Comprehensive[/url] by sgkat [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1444848]BBCode Fonts[/url] by Rhea [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1334185]Dragon Description Templates[/url] by Snapdragon [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1059849/1]FR Tools[/url] by Taleirrh [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1372481/1]Guide to Dragon Titles/Classes[/url] by biohazardBroski [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/rp/951882]RP Training Grounds[/url] by Amalythia [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1209023]Statistics for Dragonkind[/url] by Rauxel [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1578819/1]Dragonkind Measures Masterpost[/url] by Rauxel [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2051312/1]Bio Making Java Apps[/url] by VolatileMatter [url=http://ideonomy.mit.edu/essays/traits.html]600+ Personality Traits[/url] || [url=http://fantasynamegenerators.com/]Fantasy Name Generators[/url] || [url=http://i-roleplayer.tumblr.com/dictionary]Roleplaying Terminology[/url] Know some more good resources? PM me or post with a link so I can add it here.[/quote] [color=green]I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who has helped with corrections and expansions to this guide. The help is always incredibly appreciated, and I'm so glad to see such a wonderful community that comes together like this. So again, thank you, for everything. ~ Demesne
March 28, 2022 wrote:
Hey guys. I made this guide a long time ago, and while I'm happy that so many people have found it helpful over the years, I don't have the same passion for it that I used to. I haven't for some time now. This guide will remain as it is, I'm not taking it down or changing it further.

Maybe some day I'll remake this guide and it'll be better. Maybe someone else will make a new version (which would be really cool, I'd love to see it!). For now though, thank you for even giving this guide a glance. Hopefully this relic can still help others until something better comes along.

Demesne's Guide to Lore Clans
The Big Bad Encyclopedia for Lore Writing.

1. Introduction | Resources
2. Creating a Clan | Creating Clan Lore
3. Flight Rising Lore And You
4. Creating Roleplay Dragons
5. Tying Dragons Together
6. The Eleven Flights
7. An Impractical Guide to Dragons
8. An Impractical Guide to Dragons 2

Welcome writers, roleplayers, and everyone in between!
With this guide my goal is to provide resources, tips, tricks and more when it comes to the lore creation process. I encourage feedback and criticism, and if you have hints of your own don't be afraid to tell me. I'd love for this to expand as time goes on! Also, please do point out any grammar/spelling mistakes, though please note that I tend to use a mix of American and British English due to personal preferences.

Quote:
Resources and References
Dragon Bio Resources: Comprehensive by sgkat
BBCode Fonts by Rhea
Dragon Description Templates by Snapdragon
FR Tools by Taleirrh
Guide to Dragon Titles/Classes by biohazardBroski
RP Training Grounds by Amalythia
Statistics for Dragonkind by Rauxel
Dragonkind Measures Masterpost by Rauxel
Bio Making Java Apps by VolatileMatter

600+ Personality Traits || Fantasy Name Generators || Roleplaying Terminology

Know some more good resources? PM me or post with a link so I can add it here.

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who has helped with corrections and expansions to this guide. The help is always incredibly appreciated, and I'm so glad to see such a wonderful community that comes together like this.
So again, thank you, for everything.
~ Demesne
Demesne, s before n || Avatar || Dragon Sales || CrimQuest || Coli Grinder

A cropped image of the Hall of Armor Scene. There is a long hall lined with sets of armor modeled after Coatl dragons on the left and Guardian dragons on the right. Sunlight streams in from windows on the left side.
Creating a Clan

To be a roleplay clan, you'll need the clan part. Let's see about starting one in your lair.

Monarchy, Oligarchy, and Hierarchy Basics
"He who cannot be a good follower cannot be a good leader." - Aristotle

If your clan does not have any specified leaders, skip to the next section. If you are interested in this section, read on!

-How is your clan led? A single leader? An entire council?
-Are your leaders fair and just, or ruthless and cruel to their followers?
-How does your hierarchy operate?
-Is it a democracy in which everyone has a say, or do only the leaders make the decisions?
-How are leaders cycled through, if you do want leaders to retire/pass away?

These are questions you should consider when forming a hierarchy. You also need to think about how your leaders interact with the rest of the clan, and how they react when meeting an entirely different clan.

Work Distribution
"I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and
I didn't have the heart to let him down."
- Abraham Lincoln

Assigning jobs to your dragons is another fun task when creating your clan. After all, we can't let it all fall into chaos... Or can we?

Scribes, hunters, scavengers, botanists, mystics, healers, and a plethora of other job titles are at your disposal! You can even make up your own if you want to. Giving your dragon something to do helps build up your lore, and can put them in situations to make friends, enemies, and allies. It also makes for fun roleplay opportunities, like when the clan alchemist accidentally creates a horrible ooze monster that crawls about wreaking havoc.

Not all dragons have to have a job though, and a dragon can have more than one if they can take the workload. Play around with ideas and fine tune things as you go. Only add jobs when you feel ready to, and you can change them as you give your dragons personalities.

Creating Alliances
"Some allies are more dangerous than enemies." - George R. R. Martin

To create more depth in your clan's lore, having allies can be rather useful. Clans belonging to friends can be a good start, or you can create your own allies through writing. Starting up a roleplay that develops alliances can be a good way to go as well.

The key to a strong alliance is similar ideals, and keeping good relations. Coming up with ways for the clans to be mutually beneficial for each other is a great strategy. Like, say one clan is full of fighters, but they're not an overly intelligent bunch, and the other clan is full of wimpy scholars. Trading 'ambassador' dragons between clans is also a good idea.

A good exercise is to write an in character (IC) letter to another Clan. Just make sure they're okay with this first. In your letter, your dragon can include reports, recent findings, or things worthy of interest that the other clan might like.

Creating Clan Lore

So, you want to make lore for your clan? Want to get into some storytelling mischief on the Roleplay Forum? Time to get cracking!

Choosing a Clan Name
“Just because you didn't put a name to something did not mean it wasn't there.” - Jodi Picoult
Feel free to replace "Clan" with group/troupe/etc. It's all up to personal preference.

This is a step you're free to skip, not every clan needs a name. Sometimes a name is an improvement, other times a setback.

Meaning can, well, mean everything. It can also create some great irony.
Quote:
The Verboten Clan
This Plague clan welcomes all from near and far, so long as they have kind intentions.

Verboten - German for "forbidden" or "prohibited".
Some players start out with using their own username as their clan's name, which is technically the default. Your Clan Profile will always show "Username's Clan" at the top, but you are free to change what your clan calls itself in the section where you type up clan notes and things. Others leave their clan unnamed until they have "earned" a title.

Clan History
“Structure doesn't make a story formulaic. The writer does.” - Peter Arpesella

Just because your clan is new to you, doesn't mean you can't give the main structure a past.

-How was your clan founded?
-Are the current leaders the ones who founded it? Or was it their ancestors?
-How did they come upon the land upon which the clan resides?
-In what order did new dragons join to build the numbers?
-Any deceased dragons who deserve to live on in the hearts and minds of those who still remain?

Way of Life
“To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Another thing to consider is how your clan handles day-to-day life. It's also good to think about how they act towards strangers, whether on their own turf or while out exploring.

-Any strange theories or philosophies your clan has chosen to live by?
-Do they have any personal religious ceremonies?
-How does your clan feel about strangers stumbling into their territory?
-Do your dragons venture out much to see the rest of Sornieth?
-If they have allies, do they interact with them often?
-What is your clan's preferred way of communication?
Creating a Clan

To be a roleplay clan, you'll need the clan part. Let's see about starting one in your lair.

Monarchy, Oligarchy, and Hierarchy Basics
"He who cannot be a good follower cannot be a good leader." - Aristotle

If your clan does not have any specified leaders, skip to the next section. If you are interested in this section, read on!

-How is your clan led? A single leader? An entire council?
-Are your leaders fair and just, or ruthless and cruel to their followers?
-How does your hierarchy operate?
-Is it a democracy in which everyone has a say, or do only the leaders make the decisions?
-How are leaders cycled through, if you do want leaders to retire/pass away?

These are questions you should consider when forming a hierarchy. You also need to think about how your leaders interact with the rest of the clan, and how they react when meeting an entirely different clan.

Work Distribution
"I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and
I didn't have the heart to let him down."
- Abraham Lincoln

Assigning jobs to your dragons is another fun task when creating your clan. After all, we can't let it all fall into chaos... Or can we?

Scribes, hunters, scavengers, botanists, mystics, healers, and a plethora of other job titles are at your disposal! You can even make up your own if you want to. Giving your dragon something to do helps build up your lore, and can put them in situations to make friends, enemies, and allies. It also makes for fun roleplay opportunities, like when the clan alchemist accidentally creates a horrible ooze monster that crawls about wreaking havoc.

Not all dragons have to have a job though, and a dragon can have more than one if they can take the workload. Play around with ideas and fine tune things as you go. Only add jobs when you feel ready to, and you can change them as you give your dragons personalities.

Creating Alliances
"Some allies are more dangerous than enemies." - George R. R. Martin

To create more depth in your clan's lore, having allies can be rather useful. Clans belonging to friends can be a good start, or you can create your own allies through writing. Starting up a roleplay that develops alliances can be a good way to go as well.

The key to a strong alliance is similar ideals, and keeping good relations. Coming up with ways for the clans to be mutually beneficial for each other is a great strategy. Like, say one clan is full of fighters, but they're not an overly intelligent bunch, and the other clan is full of wimpy scholars. Trading 'ambassador' dragons between clans is also a good idea.

A good exercise is to write an in character (IC) letter to another Clan. Just make sure they're okay with this first. In your letter, your dragon can include reports, recent findings, or things worthy of interest that the other clan might like.

Creating Clan Lore

So, you want to make lore for your clan? Want to get into some storytelling mischief on the Roleplay Forum? Time to get cracking!

Choosing a Clan Name
“Just because you didn't put a name to something did not mean it wasn't there.” - Jodi Picoult
Feel free to replace "Clan" with group/troupe/etc. It's all up to personal preference.

This is a step you're free to skip, not every clan needs a name. Sometimes a name is an improvement, other times a setback.

Meaning can, well, mean everything. It can also create some great irony.
Quote:
The Verboten Clan
This Plague clan welcomes all from near and far, so long as they have kind intentions.

Verboten - German for "forbidden" or "prohibited".
Some players start out with using their own username as their clan's name, which is technically the default. Your Clan Profile will always show "Username's Clan" at the top, but you are free to change what your clan calls itself in the section where you type up clan notes and things. Others leave their clan unnamed until they have "earned" a title.

Clan History
“Structure doesn't make a story formulaic. The writer does.” - Peter Arpesella

Just because your clan is new to you, doesn't mean you can't give the main structure a past.

-How was your clan founded?
-Are the current leaders the ones who founded it? Or was it their ancestors?
-How did they come upon the land upon which the clan resides?
-In what order did new dragons join to build the numbers?
-Any deceased dragons who deserve to live on in the hearts and minds of those who still remain?

Way of Life
“To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Another thing to consider is how your clan handles day-to-day life. It's also good to think about how they act towards strangers, whether on their own turf or while out exploring.

-Any strange theories or philosophies your clan has chosen to live by?
-Do they have any personal religious ceremonies?
-How does your clan feel about strangers stumbling into their territory?
-Do your dragons venture out much to see the rest of Sornieth?
-If they have allies, do they interact with them often?
-What is your clan's preferred way of communication?

A cropped image of the Hall of Armor Scene. There is a long hall lined with sets of armor modeled after Coatl dragons on the left and Guardian dragons on the right. Sunlight streams in from windows on the left side.
Flight Rising Lore And You

Flight Rising has quite a bit of lore that you can either use, or ignore and go about things your own way. For those interested in trying to stick with what has already been laid out, this is the section for you!

Welcome to Sornieth
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
- Augustine of Hippo

A quick look at the World Map shows that Sornieth is a rather large continent, with 11 distinct regions for the Flights that inhabit it. Hovering over each region will give you brief descriptions of what each Flight is generally like, as well as who the reigning deity is, and clicking will give you detailed descriptions of each sub-area within the different regions.

Also, you might benefit from perusing the Ecyclopedia's different articles regarding lore.

But this colourful and diverse land is not without its dangers! The Beastclans have become a rising threat for all of dragonkind. If you want to include them in your lore, make sure to see what Beastclan might be living near your clan's territory.

Beastclan Breakdown
"Maybe there is a beast… maybe it's only us." - William Golding

Let's take a slightly closer look at the groups we refer to as the Beastclans, and get to know them better. After all, some of your dragons might have a friend or two that happens to have once been a member of "the enemy".

Centaur
-Lives in Nature, Shadow, Arcane, Light, and Ice territory.
-Most Centaurs actually belong, or used to belong, to the Dunhoof Clan, who work alongside dragonkind.
-Two known defector herds are the Swiftfoots and the Wintermanes. Both are full of capable warriors.
-Warring amongst dragon clans led to the defecting of centaurs, who in turn rejected the Dunhoof name and declared dragons a pest.

Harpy
-Lives in Earth, Light, Wind, and Lightning territory.
-Previously, many of the harpies were in separate flocks of varying sizes, but they have recently begun to unite.
-Matriarchs from each clan hold a meeting each season to coordinate the flock.
-The Harpy flock is united under their great Matriarch Talona
-Harpies act as messengers and package carriers for the other Beastclans on occasion.
-Male Harpies are incredibly rare, and well hidden by the flock matriarchs.

Longneck
-Lives in Earth, Arcane, Lightning, Wind, and Ice territory.
-This Beastclan species originated in Dragonhome, but has spread far across Sornieth.
-Dragonkind theorizes that the Longnecks have very secret settlements hidden in a valley somewhere, that may hold the answers to questions of why they have become to hostile.
-Dragons living within Earth territory have found themselves being driven out of their lairs by the Longneck clans in recent times.

Maren
-Lives in Earth, Nature, Water, Light, Wind, and Lightning territory where water is abundant.
-The Marens were driven from their original homes when dragons destroyed their cities, leading to the deaths of many who could not acclimate to different waters.
-Unable to breathe air, this aquatic race is rarely seen on land, and these rare ventures last mere minutes before a retreat to water is necessary.
-Marens are rather skilled with using toxins and poisons on their weapons, and even go as far as to drink tonics before battle, so that any dragon biting them will suffer from the poisons inside them.

Serthis
-Lives in Earth, Nature, Shadow, Light, Lightning, and Plague territory.
-Serthis embody the saying "Survival of the Fittest", and are known as the most brutal of all Beastclans.
-Once large batches of serpentine children are old enough, they are forced to create their own sect and hierarchy, before being assimilated into the parent group. This forced control over their population benefits the Serthis by keeping the living members strong.
-Spread across the land in many sects, Serthis groups are slowly converging, increasing their power against dragons.

Talonok
-Nature, Earth, Shadow, Plague, Arcane, Wind, and Fire territory.
-The Talanok consist of two diverse groups - The hawk-like Raptorik, and the mysterious Corven.
-The Raptorik species are mainly warriors, flocking together to attack dragons in the safety of numbers. A successful flock attack will leave even the largest dragon shredded.
-The Corven prefer staying on the ground, and are relatively peaceful. They are food gatherers and herb collectors, and lead the Talonok in spiritual activities.
-Some Corven have been known to disappear when delving too far into the research of spirits, and have been named 'Tengu'. They are feral and hostile.
Flight Rising Lore And You

Flight Rising has quite a bit of lore that you can either use, or ignore and go about things your own way. For those interested in trying to stick with what has already been laid out, this is the section for you!

Welcome to Sornieth
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
- Augustine of Hippo

A quick look at the World Map shows that Sornieth is a rather large continent, with 11 distinct regions for the Flights that inhabit it. Hovering over each region will give you brief descriptions of what each Flight is generally like, as well as who the reigning deity is, and clicking will give you detailed descriptions of each sub-area within the different regions.

Also, you might benefit from perusing the Ecyclopedia's different articles regarding lore.

But this colourful and diverse land is not without its dangers! The Beastclans have become a rising threat for all of dragonkind. If you want to include them in your lore, make sure to see what Beastclan might be living near your clan's territory.

Beastclan Breakdown
"Maybe there is a beast… maybe it's only us." - William Golding

Let's take a slightly closer look at the groups we refer to as the Beastclans, and get to know them better. After all, some of your dragons might have a friend or two that happens to have once been a member of "the enemy".

Centaur
-Lives in Nature, Shadow, Arcane, Light, and Ice territory.
-Most Centaurs actually belong, or used to belong, to the Dunhoof Clan, who work alongside dragonkind.
-Two known defector herds are the Swiftfoots and the Wintermanes. Both are full of capable warriors.
-Warring amongst dragon clans led to the defecting of centaurs, who in turn rejected the Dunhoof name and declared dragons a pest.

Harpy
-Lives in Earth, Light, Wind, and Lightning territory.
-Previously, many of the harpies were in separate flocks of varying sizes, but they have recently begun to unite.
-Matriarchs from each clan hold a meeting each season to coordinate the flock.
-The Harpy flock is united under their great Matriarch Talona
-Harpies act as messengers and package carriers for the other Beastclans on occasion.
-Male Harpies are incredibly rare, and well hidden by the flock matriarchs.

Longneck
-Lives in Earth, Arcane, Lightning, Wind, and Ice territory.
-This Beastclan species originated in Dragonhome, but has spread far across Sornieth.
-Dragonkind theorizes that the Longnecks have very secret settlements hidden in a valley somewhere, that may hold the answers to questions of why they have become to hostile.
-Dragons living within Earth territory have found themselves being driven out of their lairs by the Longneck clans in recent times.

Maren
-Lives in Earth, Nature, Water, Light, Wind, and Lightning territory where water is abundant.
-The Marens were driven from their original homes when dragons destroyed their cities, leading to the deaths of many who could not acclimate to different waters.
-Unable to breathe air, this aquatic race is rarely seen on land, and these rare ventures last mere minutes before a retreat to water is necessary.
-Marens are rather skilled with using toxins and poisons on their weapons, and even go as far as to drink tonics before battle, so that any dragon biting them will suffer from the poisons inside them.

Serthis
-Lives in Earth, Nature, Shadow, Light, Lightning, and Plague territory.
-Serthis embody the saying "Survival of the Fittest", and are known as the most brutal of all Beastclans.
-Once large batches of serpentine children are old enough, they are forced to create their own sect and hierarchy, before being assimilated into the parent group. This forced control over their population benefits the Serthis by keeping the living members strong.
-Spread across the land in many sects, Serthis groups are slowly converging, increasing their power against dragons.

Talonok
-Nature, Earth, Shadow, Plague, Arcane, Wind, and Fire territory.
-The Talanok consist of two diverse groups - The hawk-like Raptorik, and the mysterious Corven.
-The Raptorik species are mainly warriors, flocking together to attack dragons in the safety of numbers. A successful flock attack will leave even the largest dragon shredded.
-The Corven prefer staying on the ground, and are relatively peaceful. They are food gatherers and herb collectors, and lead the Talonok in spiritual activities.
-Some Corven have been known to disappear when delving too far into the research of spirits, and have been named 'Tengu'. They are feral and hostile.

[center][font=century gothic][size=6]Creating Roleplay Dragons[/size][/font] The roleplaying part of a clan generally indicates that you have at least one dragon for roleplaying. So, let's get to spiffing up that dragon! [font=century gothic][size=5][u]Pick a Dragon[/u][/size][/font] [i]“It is always the start that requires the greatest effort.”[/i] - James Cash Penney Pick one, start there. Make sure to pick a dragon you want to write for, not one you wish would get out of your lair forever. Let's work with a dragon from my lair as an example. [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/16226/1622548.png[/img] [u]Rukmini[/u] [font=century gothic][size=5][u]Create a Personality[/u][/size][/font] [i]"Personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures."[/i] - F. Scott Fitzgerald Start out simple. Sometimes a name or an outfit can really help spark your creativity. Pick out some key words, and jot down something brief that you can expand on. [quote][i]Rukmini is a feisty blacksmith with a tongue as sharp as the weapons she forges. She likes to be alone, and doesn't like making friends with anyone.[/i][/quote] Short, but it gets the point across. If you'd like, you can spruce it up a bit more. Just remember, it's all up to you in the end. [quote][i]Rukmini is a feisty metalworker with a tongue as sharp as the blades she's famous for. She treasures solitude, [u]working[/u] alone in her [u]sweltering[/u] workshop for hours on end. [u]Dragons find it difficult to win the friendship of this elusive Mirror, but those who do know Rukmini find her presence enjoyable.[/u][/quote] Remember, details and description make for an interesting dragon bio! But a bio doesn't have to be horribly long. Just make sure users can get a general idea of what your dragon is like. In the end, short or long works equally well. [font=century gothic][size=5][u]Give Them a Past[/u][/size][/font] [i]"In this bright future you can't forget your past."[/i] - Bob Marley Unless you want to give your dragon amnesia (which is cool and I won't discourage you from doing so!), you should consider hinting at or describing the kind of past they had. Was it good? Bad? All right? Not every villain has horrible past, not every hero was raised to be one. [quote][i]Rukmini grew up in the Driftwood Drag, scrounging for food and living day to day. Abandoned by her former clan when they disbanded, she wandered across the dark land in search of a new home. Eventually she made it to the edge of The Wandering Contagion - and promptly managed to become entangled in some nasty tendrils. If it weren't for a friendly Tundra coming along to aid her, she'd have never made it out alive.[/i][/quote] [font=century gothic][size=5][u]Rinse and Repeat[/u][/size][/font] [i]"I am a fan of overdoing something, but not running it into the ground. They are complete opposites with only a fine line separating them."[/i] - Criss Jami Remember to take breaks, don't do too much writing in one sitting unless you know you can handle it. Eyes and minds both need rest~ [font=century gothic][size=5][u]Gender and Sexuality[/u][/size][/font] [i]"Who you are is always right." - Ming-Dao Deng[/i] Your dragon does not have to identify as the gender they were born, unless your specific clan lore dictates it so. For those who don't, here is a list of gender and sexuality terms, and their definitions. [size=2](Please please [i]please[/i] correct me if any of these are wrong. I have no intentions of offending anyone.)[/size] There are also terms I'm not entirely sure of, so I'd greatly appreciate corrections/explanations/further suggestions. [u][size=4]Gender[/size][/u] [color=green]Any time I say "assigned gender", I mean as in the gender a dragon is born as and assigned with.[/color][/center] [i]Agender[/i] - One who does not identify as any gender. [i]Androgyne/Androgynous[/i] - One who does not identify as male or female, but presents masculine and feminine qualities. [i]Bigender[/i] - One who identifies as having two genders. [i]Cisgender[/i] - An adjective for one who identifies as their assigned gender, male/female. Typically refered to as "cisgender people/dragons" or "cis people/dragons". [i]Demigender[/i] - One who partially identifies with a gender, but not wholly with said gender, and does not identify as agender. Examples of this term would also be 'demigirl' and 'demiboy'. [i]Enby[/i] - Short for "non-binary". [i]Gender Fluid[/i] - One whose gender identity fluctuates, or whose identity does not conform to a single gender. [i]Gender Questioning[/i] - One who may be questioning their gender identity. [i]Genderqueer[/i] - An umbrella or catch-all term for those who do not fall into a specific category, or do not feel the need to label themselves further. [i]Intersex[/i] - One who is born with genitalia that is not typical for cisgender individuals. [i]Multigender[/i] - One who identifies as having two or more genders. [i]Neither[/i] - One without a gender label. [i]Neutrosis[/i] - Another term for one who does not identify as any gender. Typically a matter of preference whether Neutrosis or Agender is used. [i]Non-binary[/i] - Another term for one whose gender identity does no conform to male/female. [i]Pangender[/i] - One who identifies as many genders. [i]Transgender[/i] - An umbrella term for one who identifies as a gender different from their assigned gender. These dragons may or may not have had their body altered to show the gender they identify as. [color=red](Better explanation or expansion needed?)[/color] [i]Transfeminine[/i] - One who was assigned male at birth, but identifies as feminine, but not entirely as female. Also an umbrella term for trans persons who identify as female/partially female. [i]Transmasculine[/i] - One who was assigned female at birth, but identifies as masculine, but not entirely as male. Also an umbrella term for trans persons who identify as male/partially male. [center][u][size=4]Sexuality[/size][/u][/center] [i]Androsexual[/i] - To have attraction towards those with masculine characteristics. [i]Asexual[/i] - To have no sexual attraction towards others. [i]Bisexual[/i] - To have attraction towards two or more genders. Falls under the term polysexual. [i]Demisexual[/i] - To have attraction towards another after having a strong emotional bond. [i]Grey-A/Gray-A[/i] - A grey area in sexuality. Here are some examples of where this term could be useful; [LIST] [*]Does not usually experience sexual attraction, but does experience it sometimes. [*]Does experience sexual attraction, but has a low sex drive. [*]Does experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to act. [*]One who can enjoy and desire sexual interaction, but only under limited and/or specific circumstances. [*]One who will take part in sexual interaction for their partner, but does not crave it. [/LIST] [i]Gynosexual[/i] - To have attraction towards those with feminine characteristics. [i]Heterosexual[/i] - To have attraction towards those of the opposite sex. [i]Homosexual[/i] - To have attraction towards those of the same sex. [i]Monosexual[/i] - To have attraction towards one specific gender. Heterosexal, homosexual, etc. [i]Pansexual[/i] - To have attraction towards many gender identities. [i]Polysexual[/i] - An umbrella term which means to have attraction towards multiple gender identities. [i]Skoliosexual[/i] - To have attraction towards non-binary genders. Falls under the term polysexual. [i]Side note concerning Sexuality[/i] - More often than not, the suffix of "-sexual" can be replaced with "-romantic". Terms with the -romantic suffix typically means that individual is attracted to what the prefix states, but they are not interested in sexual interaction. This can also be turned around though, if used as the term "aromantic", meaning one is interested in sexual interaction, but not romance.
Creating Roleplay Dragons

The roleplaying part of a clan generally indicates that you have at least one dragon for roleplaying. So, let's get to spiffing up that dragon!

Pick a Dragon
“It is always the start that requires the greatest effort.” - James Cash Penney

Pick one, start there. Make sure to pick a dragon you want to write for, not one you wish would get out of your lair forever.
Let's work with a dragon from my lair as an example.
1622548.png
Rukmini

Create a Personality
"Personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Start out simple. Sometimes a name or an outfit can really help spark your creativity. Pick out some key words, and jot down something brief that you can expand on.
Quote:
Rukmini is a feisty blacksmith with a tongue as sharp as the weapons she forges. She likes to be alone, and doesn't like making friends with anyone.
Short, but it gets the point across. If you'd like, you can spruce it up a bit more. Just remember, it's all up to you in the end.
Quote:
Rukmini is a feisty metalworker with a tongue as sharp as the blades she's famous for. She treasures solitude, working alone in her sweltering workshop for hours on end. Dragons find it difficult to win the friendship of this elusive Mirror, but those who do know Rukmini find her presence enjoyable.
Remember, details and description make for an interesting dragon bio!
But a bio doesn't have to be horribly long. Just make sure users can get a general idea of what your dragon is like. In the end, short or long works equally well.

Give Them a Past
"In this bright future you can't forget your past." - Bob Marley

Unless you want to give your dragon amnesia (which is cool and I won't discourage you from doing so!), you should consider hinting at or describing the kind of past they had.
Was it good? Bad? All right?
Not every villain has horrible past, not every hero was raised to be one.
Quote:
Rukmini grew up in the Driftwood Drag, scrounging for food and living day to day. Abandoned by her former clan when they disbanded, she wandered across the dark land in search of a new home. Eventually she made it to the edge of The Wandering Contagion - and promptly managed to become entangled in some nasty tendrils. If it weren't for a friendly Tundra coming along to aid her, she'd have never made it out alive.

Rinse and Repeat
"I am a fan of overdoing something, but not running it into the ground. They are complete opposites with only a fine line separating them." - Criss Jami

Remember to take breaks, don't do too much writing in one sitting unless you know you can handle it. Eyes and minds both need rest~

Gender and Sexuality
"Who you are is always right." - Ming-Dao Deng

Your dragon does not have to identify as the gender they were born, unless your specific clan lore dictates it so. For those who don't, here is a list of gender and sexuality terms, and their definitions.

(Please please please correct me if any of these are wrong. I have no intentions of offending anyone.)
There are also terms I'm not entirely sure of, so I'd greatly appreciate corrections/explanations/further suggestions.

Any time I say "assigned gender", I mean as in the gender
a dragon is born as and assigned with.

Agender - One who does not identify as any gender.
Androgyne/Androgynous - One who does not identify as male or female, but presents masculine and feminine qualities.
Bigender - One who identifies as having two genders.
Cisgender - An adjective for one who identifies as their assigned gender, male/female. Typically refered to as "cisgender people/dragons" or "cis people/dragons".
Demigender - One who partially identifies with a gender, but not wholly with said gender, and does not identify as agender. Examples of this term would also be 'demigirl' and 'demiboy'.
Enby - Short for "non-binary".
Gender Fluid - One whose gender identity fluctuates, or whose identity does not conform to a single gender.
Gender Questioning - One who may be questioning their gender identity.
Genderqueer - An umbrella or catch-all term for those who do not fall into a specific category, or do not feel the need to label themselves further.
Intersex - One who is born with genitalia that is not typical for cisgender individuals.
Multigender - One who identifies as having two or more genders.
Neither - One without a gender label.
Neutrosis - Another term for one who does not identify as any gender. Typically a matter of preference whether Neutrosis or Agender is used.
Non-binary - Another term for one whose gender identity does no conform to male/female.
Pangender - One who identifies as many genders.
Transgender - An umbrella term for one who identifies as a gender different from their assigned gender. These dragons may or may not have had their body altered to show the gender they identify as. (Better explanation or expansion needed?)
Transfeminine - One who was assigned male at birth, but identifies as feminine, but not entirely as female. Also an umbrella term for trans persons who identify as female/partially female.
Transmasculine - One who was assigned female at birth, but identifies as masculine, but not entirely as male. Also an umbrella term for trans persons who identify as male/partially male.

Sexuality
Androsexual - To have attraction towards those with masculine characteristics.
Asexual - To have no sexual attraction towards others.
Bisexual - To have attraction towards two or more genders. Falls under the term polysexual.
Demisexual - To have attraction towards another after having a strong emotional bond.
Grey-A/Gray-A - A grey area in sexuality. Here are some examples of where this term could be useful;
  • Does not usually experience sexual attraction, but does experience it sometimes.
  • Does experience sexual attraction, but has a low sex drive.
  • Does experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to act.
  • One who can enjoy and desire sexual interaction, but only under limited and/or specific circumstances.
  • One who will take part in sexual interaction for their partner, but does not crave it.
Gynosexual - To have attraction towards those with feminine characteristics.
Heterosexual - To have attraction towards those of the opposite sex.
Homosexual - To have attraction towards those of the same sex.
Monosexual - To have attraction towards one specific gender. Heterosexal, homosexual, etc.
Pansexual - To have attraction towards many gender identities.
Polysexual - An umbrella term which means to have attraction towards multiple gender identities.
Skoliosexual - To have attraction towards non-binary genders. Falls under the term polysexual.

Side note concerning Sexuality - More often than not, the suffix of "-sexual" can be replaced with "-romantic". Terms with the -romantic suffix typically means that individual is attracted to what the prefix states, but they are not interested in sexual interaction. This can also be turned around though, if used as the term "aromantic", meaning one is interested in sexual interaction, but not romance.

Tying Dragons Together

Not every dragon needs a mate, friends, or even a familiar. But if you want them to have some relationships, healthy or otherwise, then this is the section for you.
Here I'll cover some basics of pairing dragons, creating inner circles, and spawning enemies.

Dragons and Their Mate(s)
"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." - William Shakespeare

Dragons, like humans, develop deep relationships with others. Sometimes, this leads to a mate/partner/spouse. If you want, you can even have a polyamorous dragon, it's up to you. But also like humans, your dragon can be a rather fickle creature. Maybe appearances matter quite a bit to them, maybe they have some crazy high standards.

Thanks to the magic deep within each and every scale-friend, size truly does not matter! You can have all the Imperial x Fae pairs you want. A mate can pop into a dragon's adult life whenever, and if you don't want to spend forever writing out a complex love story, don't! Do what you want there, as long as your dergs dragons love each other.

Some people want to roleplay out a meeting between their dragon and potential mates, and that's cool too. It's also a good way to help create clan lore. Just make sure that when sparks fly between two dragons, either fade to black, or take it to PMs if both users involved are comfortable with it. Always follow forum rules.

Dragons and Their Friends
"There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met." - Jim Henson

Unless your dragon is the rogue lone-wolf type, they'll make at least one friend at some point, and making friends can be either really fun, or a lot of hard work. Whether or not you want to write about all the work they went through is another story entirely. But having friends is key to a healthy mental state (unless you are a Snapper, and all your friends are Spirals). Too many friends might become detrimental though, and then we'll all nickname the dragon 'Facebook' or 'MySpace'.

Creating friends for yourself and your dragons through roleplays is also something that happens fairly often, and it's great fun. Friendship can even evolve into love somewhere down the road, but we've already covered that. Even if your dragon meets a friend only once in their travels, correspondence via messengers is always possible.

Dragons and Their Enemies
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

You can make plenty of friends, but one wrong step can also lead to plenty of enemies and rivals. Such matters should be handled carefully, as even a petty rivalry can tear apart your clan. Unless you want to have a Montague and a Capulet.

You dragon can have enemies due to beliefs, actions, philosophies, or possessions. Perhaps they once attempted to court the same pretty lady-derg when they were young, or one went too far while doing some harmless pranks. Silly reasons for clashing are fun, but you may want to consider some more in-depth reasons for rivalries between dragons. Conflicts are another great way to flesh out a clan's lore.

Dragons and Their Familiars
"Perhaps the greatest gift an animal has to offer is a permanent reminder
of who we really are."
- Nick Trout

All the other relationships aside, at the end of the day, your dragon's familiar may very well be the nearest and dearest to their heart. Some users make it so that a familiar never leaves their dragon's side, others rarely mention familiars. Neither side is right or wrong.

If you do want your dragon's familiar to be a part of their personal lore, then go right ahead! Give them their own name and personality, they can even have their own origin story. I fully encourage to write about them as fully sentient creatures like the dragons, or as pets, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Dragons and Their Leader(s)
"People don't follow words; they follow conviction and without conviction the words are meaningless." - Jennifer Ott

Whether your dragon is a 'rebel without a cause', or a 'holier than though' type, they probably still follow orders from time to time. And those orders, almost always come from a superior. Do your dragons respect their leader? Or are they looking to overthrow that no-good tyrant?

Portray that, let their feelings show. Maybe not to that scarred Imperial's face, but they can at least grumble when he's not around. Your dynamic clan can have all sorts of mixed feelings when it comes to the clan's royalty.

Dragons and Their Follower(s)
"To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Does your leader care about their disciples, or are they all meat shields? What is your leader's strategy for dealing with unruly hatchlings and cunning predators? There's a lot to consider with the top dog in your clan. Whether they're tough or just flesh and bones, they better know how to keep their position in the food chain, because it gets tough way out there in the roleplaying world.
Tying Dragons Together

Not every dragon needs a mate, friends, or even a familiar. But if you want them to have some relationships, healthy or otherwise, then this is the section for you.
Here I'll cover some basics of pairing dragons, creating inner circles, and spawning enemies.

Dragons and Their Mate(s)
"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." - William Shakespeare

Dragons, like humans, develop deep relationships with others. Sometimes, this leads to a mate/partner/spouse. If you want, you can even have a polyamorous dragon, it's up to you. But also like humans, your dragon can be a rather fickle creature. Maybe appearances matter quite a bit to them, maybe they have some crazy high standards.

Thanks to the magic deep within each and every scale-friend, size truly does not matter! You can have all the Imperial x Fae pairs you want. A mate can pop into a dragon's adult life whenever, and if you don't want to spend forever writing out a complex love story, don't! Do what you want there, as long as your dergs dragons love each other.

Some people want to roleplay out a meeting between their dragon and potential mates, and that's cool too. It's also a good way to help create clan lore. Just make sure that when sparks fly between two dragons, either fade to black, or take it to PMs if both users involved are comfortable with it. Always follow forum rules.

Dragons and Their Friends
"There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met." - Jim Henson

Unless your dragon is the rogue lone-wolf type, they'll make at least one friend at some point, and making friends can be either really fun, or a lot of hard work. Whether or not you want to write about all the work they went through is another story entirely. But having friends is key to a healthy mental state (unless you are a Snapper, and all your friends are Spirals). Too many friends might become detrimental though, and then we'll all nickname the dragon 'Facebook' or 'MySpace'.

Creating friends for yourself and your dragons through roleplays is also something that happens fairly often, and it's great fun. Friendship can even evolve into love somewhere down the road, but we've already covered that. Even if your dragon meets a friend only once in their travels, correspondence via messengers is always possible.

Dragons and Their Enemies
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

You can make plenty of friends, but one wrong step can also lead to plenty of enemies and rivals. Such matters should be handled carefully, as even a petty rivalry can tear apart your clan. Unless you want to have a Montague and a Capulet.

You dragon can have enemies due to beliefs, actions, philosophies, or possessions. Perhaps they once attempted to court the same pretty lady-derg when they were young, or one went too far while doing some harmless pranks. Silly reasons for clashing are fun, but you may want to consider some more in-depth reasons for rivalries between dragons. Conflicts are another great way to flesh out a clan's lore.

Dragons and Their Familiars
"Perhaps the greatest gift an animal has to offer is a permanent reminder
of who we really are."
- Nick Trout

All the other relationships aside, at the end of the day, your dragon's familiar may very well be the nearest and dearest to their heart. Some users make it so that a familiar never leaves their dragon's side, others rarely mention familiars. Neither side is right or wrong.

If you do want your dragon's familiar to be a part of their personal lore, then go right ahead! Give them their own name and personality, they can even have their own origin story. I fully encourage to write about them as fully sentient creatures like the dragons, or as pets, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Dragons and Their Leader(s)
"People don't follow words; they follow conviction and without conviction the words are meaningless." - Jennifer Ott

Whether your dragon is a 'rebel without a cause', or a 'holier than though' type, they probably still follow orders from time to time. And those orders, almost always come from a superior. Do your dragons respect their leader? Or are they looking to overthrow that no-good tyrant?

Portray that, let their feelings show. Maybe not to that scarred Imperial's face, but they can at least grumble when he's not around. Your dynamic clan can have all sorts of mixed feelings when it comes to the clan's royalty.

Dragons and Their Follower(s)
"To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Does your leader care about their disciples, or are they all meat shields? What is your leader's strategy for dealing with unruly hatchlings and cunning predators? There's a lot to consider with the top dog in your clan. Whether they're tough or just flesh and bones, they better know how to keep their position in the food chain, because it gets tough way out there in the roleplaying world.

The Eleven Flights

A brief collective on the Eleven deities and their followers.

Earth Flight
Dwellers of Dragonhome.

Reigning God: Earthshaker
The Earthshaker is one of the oldest dragons in existence, and has charged himself with guarding The Pillar of the World. Well, what remains of it.

The Earth Dragons of Dragonhome are monument builders. They prefer the consistency and eternal memory of the stone they shape. Of all the dragons, Earth Dragons revere their ancestors the most fervently, and remember the most about the First Age.
Gemstones are their favoured treasures.

Fire Flight
Dwellers of The Ashfall Waste.

Reigning Goddess: Flamecaller
The Flamecaller is another of the First Four, reigning supreme over her network of forges and flames.

The Fire Dragons of the Ashfall Waste are metalworkers. They prefer to be as passionate and intense as the flames they coax. Of all the dragons, Fire Dragons are the most temperamental, and their red-hot fury knows no peers.
Rare metal ore, weapons, statues, and tools are their favoured treasures.

Water Flight
Dwellers of Sea of a Thousand Currents.

Reigning God: Tidelord
The Tidelord is another ancient dragon, dominating the waters of Sornieth and moving the tides.

The Water Dragons of the Sea of a Thousand Currents are oracles. They prefer to be as fluid as the waves and currents of the oceans. Of all the dragons, Water Dragons are the most mysterious, predicting the many futures that may come to pass, but revealing nothing of what they divine to outsiders.
Shells and magic orbs are their favoured treasures.

Wind Flight
Dwellers of The Windswept Plateau.

Reigning God: Windsinger
The Windsinger is the last of the First Four, and finds himself unable to stay in one place for very long. He spends most of his time visiting his siblings.

The Wind Dragons of the Windswept Plateau are explorers. They prefer to be joyful and care-free, like the gentle and playful breezes that whisk them to new lands. Of all the dragons, Wind Dragons are the most friendly, eager to become a small part of every community they encounter before they eventually and inevitably leave, following the currents in pursuit of a new adventure.
Maps, compasses, and feathers are their favoured treasures.

Lightning Flight
Dwellers of The Shifting Expanse.

Reigning God: Stormcatcher
First of the Second Four, the Stormcatcher is a disgruntled dragon that is obsessed with hard work and diligence.

The Lightning Dragons of the Shifting Expanse are engineers. They prefer to be quick and intuitive, to better harness the power of the tempest under which they make their home. Of all the dragons, Lightning Dragons are the most ambitious, changing the world to adapt to them, rather than adapting to the world.
Copper wire, tools, and reactors are their favoured treasures.

Ice Flight
Dwellers of The Southern Icefield.

Reigning God: Icewarden
The Icewarden is a towering beast of frozen liquid and fur, controlling the southern most continent of Sornieth from his frozen mountains.

The Ice Dragons of the Southern Icefield are collectors. They prefer to be as rigid and cold as winter's chill. Of all the dragons, Ice Dragons are the most unemotional, carefully preserving the world around them to be later analyzed and catalogued.
Fossils and artifacts are their favoured treasures.

Light Flight
Dwellers of Sunbeam Ruins.

Reigning Goddess: Lightweaver
One of the more peaceful deities, Lightweaver diligently watches over her domain from a Lighthouse on the eastern shore.

The Light Dragons of the Sunbeam Ruins are philosophers. They prefer to be unbiased and logical, revealing the nature of the world as does the rays of the sun. Of all the dragons, Light Dragons are the most scholarly, holding the pursuit of truth as the highest virtue a dragon might aspire to.
Scrolls and relics are their favoured treasures.

Shadow Flight
Dwellers of The Tangled Wood.

Reigning Goddess: Shadowbinder
Last of the Second Four, Shadowbinder hides deep within her domain, willing her darkness to spread and grow strong.

The Shadow Dragons of the Tangled Wood are tricksters. They prefer to be capricious and fickle, like the flickering shadows they manipulate. Of all the dragons, Shadow Dragons are the most enthralled by games, and delight most in winning, even if means underhandedly.
Game boards, tokens, and pieces are their favoured treasures.

Nature Flight
Dwellers of The Viridian Labyrinth.

Reigning Goddess: Gladekeeper
Another peaceful deity, the Gladekeeper relaxes deep within the abundant forests she has brought to life for her followers.

The Nature Dragons of the Viridian Labyrinth are druids. They prefer to be as wild and primal as the ancient forests they call their home. Of all the dragons, Nature Dragons are the most nurturing, enjoying the care cultivation of flora and fauna, spreading an overgrowth of life where once there was none.
Seeds and rare flowers are their favored treasures.

Plague Flight
Dwellers of The Scarred Wasteland.

Reigning Goddess: Plaguebringer
One of the more disturbing of the Eleven, the Plaguebringer delights in spreading the foul diseases she creates within her giant cauldron that is the Wyrmwound.

The Plague Dragons of the Scarred Wasteland are survivors. They prefer to be as strong and adaptable as the plague they spread. Of all the dragons, Plague Dragons are the most savage, and celebrate they cycle of life and death by constantly pitting themselves against the other elements.
The bones and armour of their enemies are their favoured treasures.

Arcane Flight
Dwellers of Starfall Isles.

Reigning God: Arcanist
The youngest of the Eleven, and a pro at accidentally bringing about the end of the world, Arcanist still seeks to increase his knowledge of the universe around him.

The Arcane Dragons of the Starfall Isles are dreamers. They prefer the allure of the unknown and mysterious nature of magical energies that bind the universe together. Of all the dragons, Arcane Dragons are the most curious, pursuing their theories and their dreams, often oblivious to the effects that their dogged pursuits may have on the world around them.
Meteors and runestones are their favoured treasures.
The Eleven Flights

A brief collective on the Eleven deities and their followers.

Earth Flight
Dwellers of Dragonhome.

Reigning God: Earthshaker
The Earthshaker is one of the oldest dragons in existence, and has charged himself with guarding The Pillar of the World. Well, what remains of it.

The Earth Dragons of Dragonhome are monument builders. They prefer the consistency and eternal memory of the stone they shape. Of all the dragons, Earth Dragons revere their ancestors the most fervently, and remember the most about the First Age.
Gemstones are their favoured treasures.

Fire Flight
Dwellers of The Ashfall Waste.

Reigning Goddess: Flamecaller
The Flamecaller is another of the First Four, reigning supreme over her network of forges and flames.

The Fire Dragons of the Ashfall Waste are metalworkers. They prefer to be as passionate and intense as the flames they coax. Of all the dragons, Fire Dragons are the most temperamental, and their red-hot fury knows no peers.
Rare metal ore, weapons, statues, and tools are their favoured treasures.

Water Flight
Dwellers of Sea of a Thousand Currents.

Reigning God: Tidelord
The Tidelord is another ancient dragon, dominating the waters of Sornieth and moving the tides.

The Water Dragons of the Sea of a Thousand Currents are oracles. They prefer to be as fluid as the waves and currents of the oceans. Of all the dragons, Water Dragons are the most mysterious, predicting the many futures that may come to pass, but revealing nothing of what they divine to outsiders.
Shells and magic orbs are their favoured treasures.

Wind Flight
Dwellers of The Windswept Plateau.

Reigning God: Windsinger
The Windsinger is the last of the First Four, and finds himself unable to stay in one place for very long. He spends most of his time visiting his siblings.

The Wind Dragons of the Windswept Plateau are explorers. They prefer to be joyful and care-free, like the gentle and playful breezes that whisk them to new lands. Of all the dragons, Wind Dragons are the most friendly, eager to become a small part of every community they encounter before they eventually and inevitably leave, following the currents in pursuit of a new adventure.
Maps, compasses, and feathers are their favoured treasures.

Lightning Flight
Dwellers of The Shifting Expanse.

Reigning God: Stormcatcher
First of the Second Four, the Stormcatcher is a disgruntled dragon that is obsessed with hard work and diligence.

The Lightning Dragons of the Shifting Expanse are engineers. They prefer to be quick and intuitive, to better harness the power of the tempest under which they make their home. Of all the dragons, Lightning Dragons are the most ambitious, changing the world to adapt to them, rather than adapting to the world.
Copper wire, tools, and reactors are their favoured treasures.

Ice Flight
Dwellers of The Southern Icefield.

Reigning God: Icewarden
The Icewarden is a towering beast of frozen liquid and fur, controlling the southern most continent of Sornieth from his frozen mountains.

The Ice Dragons of the Southern Icefield are collectors. They prefer to be as rigid and cold as winter's chill. Of all the dragons, Ice Dragons are the most unemotional, carefully preserving the world around them to be later analyzed and catalogued.
Fossils and artifacts are their favoured treasures.

Light Flight
Dwellers of Sunbeam Ruins.

Reigning Goddess: Lightweaver
One of the more peaceful deities, Lightweaver diligently watches over her domain from a Lighthouse on the eastern shore.

The Light Dragons of the Sunbeam Ruins are philosophers. They prefer to be unbiased and logical, revealing the nature of the world as does the rays of the sun. Of all the dragons, Light Dragons are the most scholarly, holding the pursuit of truth as the highest virtue a dragon might aspire to.
Scrolls and relics are their favoured treasures.

Shadow Flight
Dwellers of The Tangled Wood.

Reigning Goddess: Shadowbinder
Last of the Second Four, Shadowbinder hides deep within her domain, willing her darkness to spread and grow strong.

The Shadow Dragons of the Tangled Wood are tricksters. They prefer to be capricious and fickle, like the flickering shadows they manipulate. Of all the dragons, Shadow Dragons are the most enthralled by games, and delight most in winning, even if means underhandedly.
Game boards, tokens, and pieces are their favoured treasures.

Nature Flight
Dwellers of The Viridian Labyrinth.

Reigning Goddess: Gladekeeper
Another peaceful deity, the Gladekeeper relaxes deep within the abundant forests she has brought to life for her followers.

The Nature Dragons of the Viridian Labyrinth are druids. They prefer to be as wild and primal as the ancient forests they call their home. Of all the dragons, Nature Dragons are the most nurturing, enjoying the care cultivation of flora and fauna, spreading an overgrowth of life where once there was none.
Seeds and rare flowers are their favored treasures.

Plague Flight
Dwellers of The Scarred Wasteland.

Reigning Goddess: Plaguebringer
One of the more disturbing of the Eleven, the Plaguebringer delights in spreading the foul diseases she creates within her giant cauldron that is the Wyrmwound.

The Plague Dragons of the Scarred Wasteland are survivors. They prefer to be as strong and adaptable as the plague they spread. Of all the dragons, Plague Dragons are the most savage, and celebrate they cycle of life and death by constantly pitting themselves against the other elements.
The bones and armour of their enemies are their favoured treasures.

Arcane Flight
Dwellers of Starfall Isles.

Reigning God: Arcanist
The youngest of the Eleven, and a pro at accidentally bringing about the end of the world, Arcanist still seeks to increase his knowledge of the universe around him.

The Arcane Dragons of the Starfall Isles are dreamers. They prefer the allure of the unknown and mysterious nature of magical energies that bind the universe together. Of all the dragons, Arcane Dragons are the most curious, pursuing their theories and their dreams, often oblivious to the effects that their dogged pursuits may have on the world around them.
Meteors and runestones are their favoured treasures.

An Impractical Guide to Dragons

A short guide on the different dragon species, highlighting the characteristics most seen in each one. Remember though, your dragons don't have to follow these stereotypes. This is just additional information that you can use if you wish.

Banescale Dragons
The ancient wyverns.

Banescale are a medium sized dragon, with a taste for insects, meat, and seafood. Their presence is as widespread as their diet.

Appearance And Diet
-Banescale sport hides of thick interlocking scales. When a scale is lost in a minor injury or simply falls, it can be easily replaced within a few sheds.
-They lack a set of front limbs and instead boast a set of powerful hind legs, as well as large wingspans.
-Their curved horns and row of long spines create an impressive figure.
-While their diet is rather diverse, they simply refuse to eat their greens.

Social Life
-With most of their history left to a final song, Banescale have worked hard to carve themselves a new place in Sorneith.
-They most often gravitate to Coatls for their singing abilities and their common origins in Fire.
-In battle their strong talons are their ultimate weapon, used for grappling enemies in the air. Their breath attacks are a close second as a means of hit and run tactics.

Home Improvement
-While the ancient Banescale migrated to the Blacksand Annex to nurse their clutches, those in the modern era avoid it and instead keep their young with them at all times.
-They avoid gathering in too large a number and will break off from a clan after a dozen breeding pairs have been established in their colony.
-Abandoned dens, no matter how complex, are taken over by local flora and fauna after the Banescale have left.

Bogsneak Dragons
The stealthy crocodilia.

Bogsneaks are a medium sized dragon, with a taste for both meat and plant matter.

Appearance And Diet
-Bogsneaks are low slung dragons with thick limbs and large head crests.
-The head crests are supported by their thick, long necks.
-Due to their mass, Bogsneaks are not known for flying or gliding.
-Their legs can carry them very quickly over short distances, and their strong jaws are perfect for snatching prey.

Social Life
-Bogsneaks are fairly solitary dragons, secluding themselves whenever possible.
-Their head crests can sometimes be used as an indication of the Bogsneak's mood, but isn't entirely reliable due the crests fanning and collapsing with temperature as well.
-They are much more interested in self-preservation than hearty conversation.
-Many dragons stray from boggy/marshy areas and wetlands, due to the high risk of surprise Bogsneak attacks.

Home Improvement
-Bogsneaks live in the darkest, dampest places they can find (or make), generally under piles of dead logs and bushes.
-Even bonded mating pairs will have separate dens, only coming together when producing a clutch.
-Lairs with a variety of dragon species will find their Bogsneak companions often missing, and there will probably be an odor of rotting wood.

Coatl Dragons
The deaf tone serpent.

Coatls are a peaceful bunch. Munching on seafood and handing out gifts, they're probably one of the friendliest dragon species out there!

Appearance And Diet
-They are vibrant feather-butts, and believe fading plumage means that the Coatl is sick.
-Dull colored Coatls are regarded with sorrow and trepidation.
-Natural born grey and white Coatls are considered bad omens, and tend to be exiled.
-They have an awesome prehensile tail, perfect for grabbing items and hanging around.

Social Life
-Coats gift others small pieces of metal to get on an enemy's good side.
-If gifts don't work, they're not afraid to tussle. And they're fast!
-Coatls have their own native tongue, consisting of humming in various pitches.
-Their ears aren't as great as other dragons, and they can produce rather horrible sounds.
-Speaking traditional Draconic is not easy for them, but they understand it pretty well.
-Communicating with Faes is difficult for them, nearly impossible even.
-They're very polite when living with other dragons.

Home Improvement
-Coatls like "open-air" lairs, with shelving shapes around molten pools.
-When living with other dragons, they leave den designing to their clan-mates.
-They prefer nesting in sweltering environments, usually close to the Flamecaller's domain.

Fae Dragons
The monotone butterfly.

Faes are small magic users with an odd way of showing emotion. They love to eat insects and flit about.

Appearance And Diet
-Faes are the smallest of the different dragon species.
-Their wings are rather large compared to their bodies.
-They sport some pretty sweet head frills, which they use to convey emotion and tone.
-These tiny dragons require a constant supply of food to travel long distances.

Social Life
-Faes are literal social butterflies in the dragon kingdom.
-Their voices are monotone, and they have trouble understanding other dragon species.
-Due to their frills, Faes don't exhibit body language other dragons are familiar with.
-Angering these tiny dragons is a bad idea, because they're incredible with magic.
-When in a fight, they'll hide and rain down magic-based attacked upon their enemy.
-One downside to being so small though, is that they have tiny magic reserves.

Home Improvement
-Faes use magic and tree sap and to form lovely amber roosts.
-They live in large colonies on the sides of cliffs, and on giant tree trunks.
-When living with mixed species, they'll create roosts wherever they can in the den.
-Fae colonies can have up to tens of thousands of individuals.

Gaoler Dragons
The ancient jailer.

Gaolers are large wardens hailing from the Fortress of Ends. They consume both meat and plant matter to fuel their focus.

Appearance And Diet
-Created to watch over those imprisoned deep within Icewarden's domain, Gaolers are protected by thick fur, and wield and impressive set of horns.
-Their horns are shed each spring and are buried away from their lairs.
-While the wings these dragons boast are rather stunted, they are used in various activities such as digging, climbing, and in battle.
-These mighty dragons consume mainly meat, but won't turn their nose up at vegetation.

Social Life
-Gaolers are bound by their duty given by the Icewarden to seek out and contain the Shade.
-There are 5 orders within their society. A Gaoler not within an order is typically seen as a child, receiving no duties or respect from others.
-Upon joining an Order, they are given a name and entered adulthood.
-The Gaoler Orders are as follows (quoting from the Encyclopedia):
  • Seekers: An order dedicated to hunting the lands of Sornieth to capture and contain Shade creatures.
  • Sentries: An order dedicated to stalking the perimeters of Gaoler prisons. They are the first line of defense against intruders, and the last line of defense against escapees.
  • Keepers: An order dedicated to guarding lesser Shade creatures imprisoned in the mid-levels of a ward.
  • Overseers: An order dedicated to containing the largest and most ancient Horrorbeasts.
  • Sentinels: An elite guard that assist in protecting the Icewarden and the Pillar Fragment locked-away in the Fortress of Ends
-In battle, these mighty dragons will move in groups to slow ground enemies and ground aerial attacks. Once all threats are hampered in movement, they will be herded and contained.

Home Improvement
-Gaolers don't care much for the "comforts of home" and as such have very basic lairs. Their duties lie in watching over prisons, not being homemakers.
-When joining a mixed lair, they will carve out an area for themselves that is very clear of personality.
-They do not maintain hoards and prefer to keep their living space free of baubles and trinkets.

Guardian Dragons
The mighty protector.

Guardians are one of the largest species, sporting some impressive fins and natural armor. They're omnivores with a mighty need to protect.

Appearance And Diet
-Guardians have several large, rigid fins. These fins can be collapsed for swimming.
-Males grow beards, and take excellent care of them.
-Being omnivores, Guardians don't need to worry about finding food.
-Their wings are thick and tough, used to protect the Guardian in combat.

Social Life
-Guardians live in small groups, though they generally prefer solitude.
-They are always on the front lines when engaging in combat.
-Once they reach adulthood, a Guardian will go on The Search, to find their charge.
-A charge can be anything from another dragon, to an item, place, or even rarely a concept.
-Losing a charge brings dishonour to a Guardian, and the dragon will slowly die.

Home Improvement
-Guardians need plenty of space to carve a lair.
-Lair size and shape varies from dragon to dragon.
-They care very little about the appearance of their lair.
-If a Guardian's charge is a location or item that cannot move, they will build their lair near it.

Imperial Dragons
The silent colossi.

Imperials are another of the largest species in Sornieth, and are also omnivores. They are perfectionists at heart.

Appearance And Diet
-Imperials are long, serpentine dragons, and each one boasts impressive antlers.
-Their wings are fringed and leathery, and are absent of scales.
-Every dragon has a lovely mane that they trim and keep tidy.
-Thanks to their large wings, these dragons can stay in the air for days on end.

Social Life
-Imperials prefer solitude, and normally will only be found alone, or in duos and trios.
-They are very reserved, and can come off as rather distant.
-Perfection is something they adore, and do their very best to achieve it.
-Because of this perfectionism, Imperials are rather good at most crafts and activities.
-When in combat, they prefer to be on the ground, where they can better use their strength.

Home Improvement
-Though distant from each other, Imperials enjoy denning with other dragon species.
-Being rather large, they tend to make lairs where they have room to move.
-When an Imperial dies, healthy Imperials will move the dead far from other bodies, and then vacate the area.
-Too many dead Imperials in one place will create an Emperor, a terrible being that even the gods struggle to vanquish in battle.

Mirror Dragons
The savage pack hunters.

Mirrors are ferocious carnivores with talented secondary eyes. Tussling with them is always a bad idea.

Appearance And Diet
-Mirrors are lithe hunters, able to sprint at up to 50 milers an hour.
-Their second set of eyes can track prey by heat signatures, making them rather sneaky predators.
-Each dragon possesses a fanned crest, primarily used in shows of dominance.
-While not the best fliers, they're certainly not the dragon you want to upset on the ground.

Social Life
-Mirror dragons do not mix well with other species, preferring to roam in large packs of their own kind.
-These packs are leaderless, growing and splitting at their leisure.
-Such packs commonly range from 5 to 40 members and upwards.
-Lone Mirrors are usually injured, or unable to keep up with their pack.
-These dragons see no need for words, preferring to communicate via actions.

Home Improvement
-Mirror packs scavenge any and all materials to build lairs.
-The lairs are temporary structures, and are abandoned once food in the area is depleted.
-If the prey population rebuilds, then a new Mirror pack will move into the structure.

Nocturne Dragons
The little mimic bat.

Nocturnes are small, but persistent dragons. They consume meat and insects while being mischievous.

Appearance And Diet
-Nocturnes boast rather impressive wingspans, wrapping themselves up during the day.
-They have several small sets of horns, and are covered in spiny armor.
-Their rather flat faces are perfect for snapping up flying insects.

Social Life
-Nocturnes are mimics by nature, and are little tricksters.
-They come to the surface for two weeks after the Winter Solstice, to breed and claim new territory.
-When they follow around a different species, they will copy that dragons traits and actions.
-These dragons are excellent at deceiving others when in battle, mimicking voices and battle strategies to their own benefit.
-Loathing solitude, they become rather excited upon meeting new individuals, and can sometimes be a tad overwhelming.

Home Improvement
-Nocturnes are rather clever when crafting lairs, camouflaging them to match their surroundings.
-These masterpiece homes have allowed these dragons to thrive in almost any place.
An Impractical Guide to Dragons

A short guide on the different dragon species, highlighting the characteristics most seen in each one. Remember though, your dragons don't have to follow these stereotypes. This is just additional information that you can use if you wish.

Banescale Dragons
The ancient wyverns.

Banescale are a medium sized dragon, with a taste for insects, meat, and seafood. Their presence is as widespread as their diet.

Appearance And Diet
-Banescale sport hides of thick interlocking scales. When a scale is lost in a minor injury or simply falls, it can be easily replaced within a few sheds.
-They lack a set of front limbs and instead boast a set of powerful hind legs, as well as large wingspans.
-Their curved horns and row of long spines create an impressive figure.
-While their diet is rather diverse, they simply refuse to eat their greens.

Social Life
-With most of their history left to a final song, Banescale have worked hard to carve themselves a new place in Sorneith.
-They most often gravitate to Coatls for their singing abilities and their common origins in Fire.
-In battle their strong talons are their ultimate weapon, used for grappling enemies in the air. Their breath attacks are a close second as a means of hit and run tactics.

Home Improvement
-While the ancient Banescale migrated to the Blacksand Annex to nurse their clutches, those in the modern era avoid it and instead keep their young with them at all times.
-They avoid gathering in too large a number and will break off from a clan after a dozen breeding pairs have been established in their colony.
-Abandoned dens, no matter how complex, are taken over by local flora and fauna after the Banescale have left.

Bogsneak Dragons
The stealthy crocodilia.

Bogsneaks are a medium sized dragon, with a taste for both meat and plant matter.

Appearance And Diet
-Bogsneaks are low slung dragons with thick limbs and large head crests.
-The head crests are supported by their thick, long necks.
-Due to their mass, Bogsneaks are not known for flying or gliding.
-Their legs can carry them very quickly over short distances, and their strong jaws are perfect for snatching prey.

Social Life
-Bogsneaks are fairly solitary dragons, secluding themselves whenever possible.
-Their head crests can sometimes be used as an indication of the Bogsneak's mood, but isn't entirely reliable due the crests fanning and collapsing with temperature as well.
-They are much more interested in self-preservation than hearty conversation.
-Many dragons stray from boggy/marshy areas and wetlands, due to the high risk of surprise Bogsneak attacks.

Home Improvement
-Bogsneaks live in the darkest, dampest places they can find (or make), generally under piles of dead logs and bushes.
-Even bonded mating pairs will have separate dens, only coming together when producing a clutch.
-Lairs with a variety of dragon species will find their Bogsneak companions often missing, and there will probably be an odor of rotting wood.

Coatl Dragons
The deaf tone serpent.

Coatls are a peaceful bunch. Munching on seafood and handing out gifts, they're probably one of the friendliest dragon species out there!

Appearance And Diet
-They are vibrant feather-butts, and believe fading plumage means that the Coatl is sick.
-Dull colored Coatls are regarded with sorrow and trepidation.
-Natural born grey and white Coatls are considered bad omens, and tend to be exiled.
-They have an awesome prehensile tail, perfect for grabbing items and hanging around.

Social Life
-Coats gift others small pieces of metal to get on an enemy's good side.
-If gifts don't work, they're not afraid to tussle. And they're fast!
-Coatls have their own native tongue, consisting of humming in various pitches.
-Their ears aren't as great as other dragons, and they can produce rather horrible sounds.
-Speaking traditional Draconic is not easy for them, but they understand it pretty well.
-Communicating with Faes is difficult for them, nearly impossible even.
-They're very polite when living with other dragons.

Home Improvement
-Coatls like "open-air" lairs, with shelving shapes around molten pools.
-When living with other dragons, they leave den designing to their clan-mates.
-They prefer nesting in sweltering environments, usually close to the Flamecaller's domain.

Fae Dragons
The monotone butterfly.

Faes are small magic users with an odd way of showing emotion. They love to eat insects and flit about.

Appearance And Diet
-Faes are the smallest of the different dragon species.
-Their wings are rather large compared to their bodies.
-They sport some pretty sweet head frills, which they use to convey emotion and tone.
-These tiny dragons require a constant supply of food to travel long distances.

Social Life
-Faes are literal social butterflies in the dragon kingdom.
-Their voices are monotone, and they have trouble understanding other dragon species.
-Due to their frills, Faes don't exhibit body language other dragons are familiar with.
-Angering these tiny dragons is a bad idea, because they're incredible with magic.
-When in a fight, they'll hide and rain down magic-based attacked upon their enemy.
-One downside to being so small though, is that they have tiny magic reserves.

Home Improvement
-Faes use magic and tree sap and to form lovely amber roosts.
-They live in large colonies on the sides of cliffs, and on giant tree trunks.
-When living with mixed species, they'll create roosts wherever they can in the den.
-Fae colonies can have up to tens of thousands of individuals.

Gaoler Dragons
The ancient jailer.

Gaolers are large wardens hailing from the Fortress of Ends. They consume both meat and plant matter to fuel their focus.

Appearance And Diet
-Created to watch over those imprisoned deep within Icewarden's domain, Gaolers are protected by thick fur, and wield and impressive set of horns.
-Their horns are shed each spring and are buried away from their lairs.
-While the wings these dragons boast are rather stunted, they are used in various activities such as digging, climbing, and in battle.
-These mighty dragons consume mainly meat, but won't turn their nose up at vegetation.

Social Life
-Gaolers are bound by their duty given by the Icewarden to seek out and contain the Shade.
-There are 5 orders within their society. A Gaoler not within an order is typically seen as a child, receiving no duties or respect from others.
-Upon joining an Order, they are given a name and entered adulthood.
-The Gaoler Orders are as follows (quoting from the Encyclopedia):
  • Seekers: An order dedicated to hunting the lands of Sornieth to capture and contain Shade creatures.
  • Sentries: An order dedicated to stalking the perimeters of Gaoler prisons. They are the first line of defense against intruders, and the last line of defense against escapees.
  • Keepers: An order dedicated to guarding lesser Shade creatures imprisoned in the mid-levels of a ward.
  • Overseers: An order dedicated to containing the largest and most ancient Horrorbeasts.
  • Sentinels: An elite guard that assist in protecting the Icewarden and the Pillar Fragment locked-away in the Fortress of Ends
-In battle, these mighty dragons will move in groups to slow ground enemies and ground aerial attacks. Once all threats are hampered in movement, they will be herded and contained.

Home Improvement
-Gaolers don't care much for the "comforts of home" and as such have very basic lairs. Their duties lie in watching over prisons, not being homemakers.
-When joining a mixed lair, they will carve out an area for themselves that is very clear of personality.
-They do not maintain hoards and prefer to keep their living space free of baubles and trinkets.

Guardian Dragons
The mighty protector.

Guardians are one of the largest species, sporting some impressive fins and natural armor. They're omnivores with a mighty need to protect.

Appearance And Diet
-Guardians have several large, rigid fins. These fins can be collapsed for swimming.
-Males grow beards, and take excellent care of them.
-Being omnivores, Guardians don't need to worry about finding food.
-Their wings are thick and tough, used to protect the Guardian in combat.

Social Life
-Guardians live in small groups, though they generally prefer solitude.
-They are always on the front lines when engaging in combat.
-Once they reach adulthood, a Guardian will go on The Search, to find their charge.
-A charge can be anything from another dragon, to an item, place, or even rarely a concept.
-Losing a charge brings dishonour to a Guardian, and the dragon will slowly die.

Home Improvement
-Guardians need plenty of space to carve a lair.
-Lair size and shape varies from dragon to dragon.
-They care very little about the appearance of their lair.
-If a Guardian's charge is a location or item that cannot move, they will build their lair near it.

Imperial Dragons
The silent colossi.

Imperials are another of the largest species in Sornieth, and are also omnivores. They are perfectionists at heart.

Appearance And Diet
-Imperials are long, serpentine dragons, and each one boasts impressive antlers.
-Their wings are fringed and leathery, and are absent of scales.
-Every dragon has a lovely mane that they trim and keep tidy.
-Thanks to their large wings, these dragons can stay in the air for days on end.

Social Life
-Imperials prefer solitude, and normally will only be found alone, or in duos and trios.
-They are very reserved, and can come off as rather distant.
-Perfection is something they adore, and do their very best to achieve it.
-Because of this perfectionism, Imperials are rather good at most crafts and activities.
-When in combat, they prefer to be on the ground, where they can better use their strength.

Home Improvement
-Though distant from each other, Imperials enjoy denning with other dragon species.
-Being rather large, they tend to make lairs where they have room to move.
-When an Imperial dies, healthy Imperials will move the dead far from other bodies, and then vacate the area.
-Too many dead Imperials in one place will create an Emperor, a terrible being that even the gods struggle to vanquish in battle.

Mirror Dragons
The savage pack hunters.

Mirrors are ferocious carnivores with talented secondary eyes. Tussling with them is always a bad idea.

Appearance And Diet
-Mirrors are lithe hunters, able to sprint at up to 50 milers an hour.
-Their second set of eyes can track prey by heat signatures, making them rather sneaky predators.
-Each dragon possesses a fanned crest, primarily used in shows of dominance.
-While not the best fliers, they're certainly not the dragon you want to upset on the ground.

Social Life
-Mirror dragons do not mix well with other species, preferring to roam in large packs of their own kind.
-These packs are leaderless, growing and splitting at their leisure.
-Such packs commonly range from 5 to 40 members and upwards.
-Lone Mirrors are usually injured, or unable to keep up with their pack.
-These dragons see no need for words, preferring to communicate via actions.

Home Improvement
-Mirror packs scavenge any and all materials to build lairs.
-The lairs are temporary structures, and are abandoned once food in the area is depleted.
-If the prey population rebuilds, then a new Mirror pack will move into the structure.

Nocturne Dragons
The little mimic bat.

Nocturnes are small, but persistent dragons. They consume meat and insects while being mischievous.

Appearance And Diet
-Nocturnes boast rather impressive wingspans, wrapping themselves up during the day.
-They have several small sets of horns, and are covered in spiny armor.
-Their rather flat faces are perfect for snapping up flying insects.

Social Life
-Nocturnes are mimics by nature, and are little tricksters.
-They come to the surface for two weeks after the Winter Solstice, to breed and claim new territory.
-When they follow around a different species, they will copy that dragons traits and actions.
-These dragons are excellent at deceiving others when in battle, mimicking voices and battle strategies to their own benefit.
-Loathing solitude, they become rather excited upon meeting new individuals, and can sometimes be a tad overwhelming.

Home Improvement
-Nocturnes are rather clever when crafting lairs, camouflaging them to match their surroundings.
-These masterpiece homes have allowed these dragons to thrive in almost any place.

An Impractical Guide to Dragons 2

Pearlcatcher Dragons
The envious Light children.

Pearlcatchers are dainty foragers and bug catchers, clinging to their precious pearls they are named after.

Appearance And Diet
-Pearlcatchers most notable attributes are their impressive facial horns, and the pearls that never leave their sight.
-These dragons are rather compact compared to most other species.
-A Pearlcatcher missing its pearl becomes an outcast from their societies, and are reduced to beggars.
-They consume leaves and the bugs that wander along their path, but in a dainty manner.

Social Life
-Pearlcatchers believe themselves to be the very pinnacle of dragonkind, and tend to be a bit resentful of Imperials, thinking them to be a mistake on Lightweaver's part.
-Juicy gossip is valuable to these dragons, more so than even gold or other currency.
-Gossip is also used to barter and void conflicts with others.
-In a fight, these dragons would rather flee than stick around.

Home Improvement
-Pearlcatchers like to live in populated areas, living close to allied clans.
-Sometimes they will build their lairs on top of the lairs of friends and allies, creating multistory structures.
-Each clan tends to create its own architectural style.

Ridgeback Dragons
The spiny giants.

Ridgebacks are another of the largest breeds, and are ironically fish eaters, despite a horrid fear of water.

Appearance And Diet
-Ridgebacks have impressive ridges made of spines, and males even sport a rather long forward-facing nose horn.
-These spines are shed and grown out every now and then, and the process leaves these large dragons rather irritable.
-Male Ridgebacks tend to possess long claws which curve off the back of their hands/paws, while females possess vicious thumb claws that face forward.
-They work hard to keep their scales shining.

Social Life
-Ridgebacks hold a terrible aversion to water.
-Their societies are centered around a concept of borrowing without asking, and when caught, will use the excuse that 'you could have just asked for it back'.
-When rejuvenating their ridges, these dragons are best avoided.
-If encountered in a battle, a Ridgeback will keep close to their foe, using those terrifying spines to slice and dice them.
-They prefer to fight alone, as mistakes in battle can end with a harmed friend.

Home Improvement
-Ridgebacks are burrowers at heart, living underground in tunnel systems they dig themselves.
-Sandstone is their favourite to carve through.
-Tunneling is also a fun hobby for them, and will expand their territory daily if given the chance.
-Others species who find themselves living with a Ridgeback or two may find themselves stuck listening to a constant digging noise.

Skydancer Dragons
The psychic mediators.

Skydancers are lithe and possess a rather helpful ability thanks to the bony sphere on their foreheads. Trying to take their leaves and bugs is probably a bad move.

Appearance And Diet
-Skydancers are a bit on the small side of dragonkind.
-They have long legs and rather serpentine necks, perfect for snatching insects out of the air.
-Unlike most dragons, their hide is made of short silky fur, growing thicker around their legs and down their backs. This thicker fur is probably adds some form of protection.
-A small gem-like piece of bone is located on their foreheads, connected to anywhere from 2 to 4 antennas.
-This strange bone, couple with the sensitive antennae, allows Skydancers to sense magical energies around them, as well as the emotions of nearby dragons.

Social Life
-Skydancers get their name because they are an active species, putting this energy to good use by creating elaborate dances and aerial shows.
-Thanks to their ability to read magical energies and emotions, they often assigned roles as clan mediators.
-Some dragons have found ways to trick this power though, and Skydancers less skilled in the art may have some trouble reading other dragons.
-Not true fighters at heart, this species prefers to play the role of scouts when it comes to a battle situation.

Home Improvement
-Skydancers are a very amiable species, and work well with nearly every other type of dragon.
-They greatly prefer large clans, and will encourage clan expansion if they feel it is too small.
-These dragons are incredibly dedicated parents, and feel the need to thoroughly discuss clutch schedules before laying any eggs.
-Their nests are decorated with all sorts of trinkets and baubles for hatchling entertainment, and the parents will not leave their young alone until they are fully fledged.

Snapper Dragons
The wandering libraries.

Snappers are wise and slow paced, thoughtfully munching on their plants and bits of seafood.

Appearance And Diet
-Snappers are rather squat dragons, with thick legs and their bellies low to the ground.
-These dragons graze on the go, almost never stopping as they wander.
-A solid species, Snappers have a bone-breaking bite in combat, and will entrench themselves to protect their undersides.

Social Life
-Snappers wander old migratory routes passed down through generations, almost never stopping on their endless journey.
-They aren't known to sleep, most likely due to either great food consumption, or the slow speed at which they travel. Probably a mix of both.
-These dragons are sometimes referred to as 'living encyclopedias', as they have a rather vast wealth of knowledge.
-Giving long, details answers is typical of this species, so bring a quill and some paper when talking to them.

Home Improvement
-Because Snappers never really stop moving, their lairs are usually temporary.
-They do not like the feeling of being restricted, and therefore do not do well in closed spaces.
-It is typical for Snappers to leave mixed-species clans after only a short period of time.

Spiral Dragons
The energetic noodles.

Spirals are hyperactive carnivores, able to zip around like crazy mosquitoes, which they also eat.

Appearance And Diet
-Spirals are nocturnal hunters, their large eyes are rather sensitive.
-These dragons are incredibly long for their small size, and fly in looping patterns because of this length.
-Equipped with two main wings, they also have wings on their arms and legs to help control their flight patterns somewhat.

Social Life
-Spirals have two states of being: practically comatose, and fully, erratically awake.
-When passing out, their long bodies instinctively coil around anything close-by, keeping them from rather nasty situations.
-Frequent naps are important for any Spiral dragon due to their incredibly active lifestyle.
-These small dragons can talk any other dragon's ear right off, and will even gesture wildly while speaking.
-In a battle, Spirals use their erratic movement to their advantage, constantly dodging while firing off magic attacks.

Home Improvement
-Another burrowing species, Spirals prefer living inside trees or large fungi.
-Their burrows are generally very delicate, looping labyrinths to accommodate their style of movement.
-In a mixed-species clan, these small dragons will inevitably find any crack or nook they can access, and burrow away.
-Even mighty stone lairs can find themselves weakened by the tunneling prowess of a Spiral.

Tundra Dragons
The forgetful sniffers.

Tundras are fluffy herbivores that brave the coldest weather. Their sense of smell is exceptionally good.

Appearance And Diet
-Tundras are covered in long fur coats in the winter, and their summer coats aren't much different.
-Their keen sense of smell allows them to find even the smallest, iced-over plants, which they then consume.
-These dragons actually possess sharp canine teeth for those moments when fighting is the only option, while the rest of their teeth are flat molars, perfect for chewing flora.
-Tundras that live outside the Southern Icefield rarely see their winter coats.

Social Life
-Tundras do not enjoy leaving their birth clans, forming strong family bonds with those close to them.
-Despite being rather quiet like the mighty Imperials, these furry dragons enjoy listening to others, and like companionable silence.
-When a Tundra has not seen a dragon in several months, they tend to forget names, faces, and nearly every other detail about the other dragon.
-Though they forget such details, merely smelling other dragons will bring about a response such as "You smell like a friendship". Or "You smell like an enemy", in some cases.
-Upon reuniting with an old friend, Tundras will treat the situation as if they were meeting for the first time, which can get a tad irritating after a few years.
-They are not fighters at heart, but when threatened, the entire flock of Tundras will use magic attacks against whoever has provoked them.

Home Improvement
-Another burrowing species, Tundras prefer digging right down into the ground.
-Their lairs evolve into elaborate mazes, the ceilings held up with large logs that were once covered in tasty foliage.
-As a grazing species, Tundras moved from field to field, very careful not to overgraze an area and ruin its bounty.

Veilspun Dragons
The ancient tricksters.

Veilspun are tiny, but dangerous in numbers. Their ability to hypnotize is something to be wary of.

Appearance And Diet
-Veilspun are an easily frenzied dragon that sports insect-like wings, which flutter rapidly to allow flight, and flowing manes.
-They are capable of consuming a wide variety of things, lending to their long-lasting survival deep within Wispwillow Grove.
-Their small horns can have many different appearances, from size to the number of branches.
Social Life
-Veilspun are most comfortable in their communal swarms.
-The flight of a swarm has no direction and is based on the emotions and pheromones of the dragons within.
-Swarms can be dangerous when the Veilspun are agitated in some way, even when fascinated their hypnotic movements can lead to unwanted outcomes.
-Due to their stature and fragile bodies, Veilspun prefer to avoid direct combat. Their most effective tactic is to hypnotize a foe with their wingbeats and dancing manes.
-Those who are blind are immune to this tactic, but those effected are easily spotted by their refusal to blink.
Home Improvement
-Lairs consist of claustrophobic tunnels tightly packed with trinkets and treasures.
-The Veilspun sleep in clusters in order to stay warm while they rest.
-Those who are unable to rest amongst a cluster or even another dragon for heat are liable to fall into a torpor until they are warmed up again.

Wildclaw Dragons
The lone hunters.

Wildclaws are possibly the most vicious of Sornieth's carnivores, rivaling even Mirrors in might and hunting prowess.

Appearance And Diet
-Wildclaws are very raptor-esque, they are a bipedal species with powerful legs for sprinting, and long claws for latching onto large prey.
-They sport small feathered crests, feathered tail-tips, and a crown of horns.
-Provoking a Wildclaw is ill-advised - their angered shriek might be the last sound one hears.

Social Life
-Wildclaw society is about strength and hunting capability, the strongest dragons have the highest positions in the clan.
-They hunt alone or in pairs, despite living in lairs with rather elaborate hierarchies.
-If a Wildclaw is bonded to a dragon of another species, they prefer to fight alone, wishing to protect their partner.
-When a Wildclaw issues a duel, those who back down will have their rank lowered considerably.
-When in battle with an enemy, Widlcaws will shriek to announce their challenge. When hunting, they are silent and swift predators.
-Egg theft is common among rivals. Stolen eggs are hatched and raised by the rival dragons, to extend their own family trees.

Home Improvement
-They do not keep their nests near their lair, to prevent egg theft and to keep a better eye on their young.
-Wildclaws actually enjoy well decorated lairs, and encourage those of lower rank to take up professions that will aid in beautifying their home.
-Those of the highest standing will have murals painted of past victories. These murals are sadly stripped a repainted every time the hierarchy shifts.
An Impractical Guide to Dragons 2

Pearlcatcher Dragons
The envious Light children.

Pearlcatchers are dainty foragers and bug catchers, clinging to their precious pearls they are named after.

Appearance And Diet
-Pearlcatchers most notable attributes are their impressive facial horns, and the pearls that never leave their sight.
-These dragons are rather compact compared to most other species.
-A Pearlcatcher missing its pearl becomes an outcast from their societies, and are reduced to beggars.
-They consume leaves and the bugs that wander along their path, but in a dainty manner.

Social Life
-Pearlcatchers believe themselves to be the very pinnacle of dragonkind, and tend to be a bit resentful of Imperials, thinking them to be a mistake on Lightweaver's part.
-Juicy gossip is valuable to these dragons, more so than even gold or other currency.
-Gossip is also used to barter and void conflicts with others.
-In a fight, these dragons would rather flee than stick around.

Home Improvement
-Pearlcatchers like to live in populated areas, living close to allied clans.
-Sometimes they will build their lairs on top of the lairs of friends and allies, creating multistory structures.
-Each clan tends to create its own architectural style.

Ridgeback Dragons
The spiny giants.

Ridgebacks are another of the largest breeds, and are ironically fish eaters, despite a horrid fear of water.

Appearance And Diet
-Ridgebacks have impressive ridges made of spines, and males even sport a rather long forward-facing nose horn.
-These spines are shed and grown out every now and then, and the process leaves these large dragons rather irritable.
-Male Ridgebacks tend to possess long claws which curve off the back of their hands/paws, while females possess vicious thumb claws that face forward.
-They work hard to keep their scales shining.

Social Life
-Ridgebacks hold a terrible aversion to water.
-Their societies are centered around a concept of borrowing without asking, and when caught, will use the excuse that 'you could have just asked for it back'.
-When rejuvenating their ridges, these dragons are best avoided.
-If encountered in a battle, a Ridgeback will keep close to their foe, using those terrifying spines to slice and dice them.
-They prefer to fight alone, as mistakes in battle can end with a harmed friend.

Home Improvement
-Ridgebacks are burrowers at heart, living underground in tunnel systems they dig themselves.
-Sandstone is their favourite to carve through.
-Tunneling is also a fun hobby for them, and will expand their territory daily if given the chance.
-Others species who find themselves living with a Ridgeback or two may find themselves stuck listening to a constant digging noise.

Skydancer Dragons
The psychic mediators.

Skydancers are lithe and possess a rather helpful ability thanks to the bony sphere on their foreheads. Trying to take their leaves and bugs is probably a bad move.

Appearance And Diet
-Skydancers are a bit on the small side of dragonkind.
-They have long legs and rather serpentine necks, perfect for snatching insects out of the air.
-Unlike most dragons, their hide is made of short silky fur, growing thicker around their legs and down their backs. This thicker fur is probably adds some form of protection.
-A small gem-like piece of bone is located on their foreheads, connected to anywhere from 2 to 4 antennas.
-This strange bone, couple with the sensitive antennae, allows Skydancers to sense magical energies around them, as well as the emotions of nearby dragons.

Social Life
-Skydancers get their name because they are an active species, putting this energy to good use by creating elaborate dances and aerial shows.
-Thanks to their ability to read magical energies and emotions, they often assigned roles as clan mediators.
-Some dragons have found ways to trick this power though, and Skydancers less skilled in the art may have some trouble reading other dragons.
-Not true fighters at heart, this species prefers to play the role of scouts when it comes to a battle situation.

Home Improvement
-Skydancers are a very amiable species, and work well with nearly every other type of dragon.
-They greatly prefer large clans, and will encourage clan expansion if they feel it is too small.
-These dragons are incredibly dedicated parents, and feel the need to thoroughly discuss clutch schedules before laying any eggs.
-Their nests are decorated with all sorts of trinkets and baubles for hatchling entertainment, and the parents will not leave their young alone until they are fully fledged.

Snapper Dragons
The wandering libraries.

Snappers are wise and slow paced, thoughtfully munching on their plants and bits of seafood.

Appearance And Diet
-Snappers are rather squat dragons, with thick legs and their bellies low to the ground.
-These dragons graze on the go, almost never stopping as they wander.
-A solid species, Snappers have a bone-breaking bite in combat, and will entrench themselves to protect their undersides.

Social Life
-Snappers wander old migratory routes passed down through generations, almost never stopping on their endless journey.
-They aren't known to sleep, most likely due to either great food consumption, or the slow speed at which they travel. Probably a mix of both.
-These dragons are sometimes referred to as 'living encyclopedias', as they have a rather vast wealth of knowledge.
-Giving long, details answers is typical of this species, so bring a quill and some paper when talking to them.

Home Improvement
-Because Snappers never really stop moving, their lairs are usually temporary.
-They do not like the feeling of being restricted, and therefore do not do well in closed spaces.
-It is typical for Snappers to leave mixed-species clans after only a short period of time.

Spiral Dragons
The energetic noodles.

Spirals are hyperactive carnivores, able to zip around like crazy mosquitoes, which they also eat.

Appearance And Diet
-Spirals are nocturnal hunters, their large eyes are rather sensitive.
-These dragons are incredibly long for their small size, and fly in looping patterns because of this length.
-Equipped with two main wings, they also have wings on their arms and legs to help control their flight patterns somewhat.

Social Life
-Spirals have two states of being: practically comatose, and fully, erratically awake.
-When passing out, their long bodies instinctively coil around anything close-by, keeping them from rather nasty situations.
-Frequent naps are important for any Spiral dragon due to their incredibly active lifestyle.
-These small dragons can talk any other dragon's ear right off, and will even gesture wildly while speaking.
-In a battle, Spirals use their erratic movement to their advantage, constantly dodging while firing off magic attacks.

Home Improvement
-Another burrowing species, Spirals prefer living inside trees or large fungi.
-Their burrows are generally very delicate, looping labyrinths to accommodate their style of movement.
-In a mixed-species clan, these small dragons will inevitably find any crack or nook they can access, and burrow away.
-Even mighty stone lairs can find themselves weakened by the tunneling prowess of a Spiral.

Tundra Dragons
The forgetful sniffers.

Tundras are fluffy herbivores that brave the coldest weather. Their sense of smell is exceptionally good.

Appearance And Diet
-Tundras are covered in long fur coats in the winter, and their summer coats aren't much different.
-Their keen sense of smell allows them to find even the smallest, iced-over plants, which they then consume.
-These dragons actually possess sharp canine teeth for those moments when fighting is the only option, while the rest of their teeth are flat molars, perfect for chewing flora.
-Tundras that live outside the Southern Icefield rarely see their winter coats.

Social Life
-Tundras do not enjoy leaving their birth clans, forming strong family bonds with those close to them.
-Despite being rather quiet like the mighty Imperials, these furry dragons enjoy listening to others, and like companionable silence.
-When a Tundra has not seen a dragon in several months, they tend to forget names, faces, and nearly every other detail about the other dragon.
-Though they forget such details, merely smelling other dragons will bring about a response such as "You smell like a friendship". Or "You smell like an enemy", in some cases.
-Upon reuniting with an old friend, Tundras will treat the situation as if they were meeting for the first time, which can get a tad irritating after a few years.
-They are not fighters at heart, but when threatened, the entire flock of Tundras will use magic attacks against whoever has provoked them.

Home Improvement
-Another burrowing species, Tundras prefer digging right down into the ground.
-Their lairs evolve into elaborate mazes, the ceilings held up with large logs that were once covered in tasty foliage.
-As a grazing species, Tundras moved from field to field, very careful not to overgraze an area and ruin its bounty.

Veilspun Dragons
The ancient tricksters.

Veilspun are tiny, but dangerous in numbers. Their ability to hypnotize is something to be wary of.

Appearance And Diet
-Veilspun are an easily frenzied dragon that sports insect-like wings, which flutter rapidly to allow flight, and flowing manes.
-They are capable of consuming a wide variety of things, lending to their long-lasting survival deep within Wispwillow Grove.
-Their small horns can have many different appearances, from size to the number of branches.
Social Life
-Veilspun are most comfortable in their communal swarms.
-The flight of a swarm has no direction and is based on the emotions and pheromones of the dragons within.
-Swarms can be dangerous when the Veilspun are agitated in some way, even when fascinated their hypnotic movements can lead to unwanted outcomes.
-Due to their stature and fragile bodies, Veilspun prefer to avoid direct combat. Their most effective tactic is to hypnotize a foe with their wingbeats and dancing manes.
-Those who are blind are immune to this tactic, but those effected are easily spotted by their refusal to blink.
Home Improvement
-Lairs consist of claustrophobic tunnels tightly packed with trinkets and treasures.
-The Veilspun sleep in clusters in order to stay warm while they rest.
-Those who are unable to rest amongst a cluster or even another dragon for heat are liable to fall into a torpor until they are warmed up again.

Wildclaw Dragons
The lone hunters.

Wildclaws are possibly the most vicious of Sornieth's carnivores, rivaling even Mirrors in might and hunting prowess.

Appearance And Diet
-Wildclaws are very raptor-esque, they are a bipedal species with powerful legs for sprinting, and long claws for latching onto large prey.
-They sport small feathered crests, feathered tail-tips, and a crown of horns.
-Provoking a Wildclaw is ill-advised - their angered shriek might be the last sound one hears.

Social Life
-Wildclaw society is about strength and hunting capability, the strongest dragons have the highest positions in the clan.
-They hunt alone or in pairs, despite living in lairs with rather elaborate hierarchies.
-If a Wildclaw is bonded to a dragon of another species, they prefer to fight alone, wishing to protect their partner.
-When a Wildclaw issues a duel, those who back down will have their rank lowered considerably.
-When in battle with an enemy, Widlcaws will shriek to announce their challenge. When hunting, they are silent and swift predators.
-Egg theft is common among rivals. Stolen eggs are hatched and raised by the rival dragons, to extend their own family trees.

Home Improvement
-They do not keep their nests near their lair, to prevent egg theft and to keep a better eye on their young.
-Wildclaws actually enjoy well decorated lairs, and encourage those of lower rank to take up professions that will aid in beautifying their home.
-Those of the highest standing will have murals painted of past victories. These murals are sadly stripped a repainted every time the hierarchy shifts.

That idea came back to me, so now this is reserved for expanding the species list.
That idea came back to me, so now this is reserved for expanding the species list.

@sh33pskin
@sh33pskin
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13