Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Forum FAQs for Newbies
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
[color=indigo] So here are some common questions about the Flight Rising forums, and their answers. Please ping me if you have another question to add, if I was wrong about something, or if you found a typo. Firstly, take time to read the rules: http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=frd&id=749441&p=mb And the Code of Conduct: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=81 [u] [b]1. What does SD stand for?[/b][/u] People like to use abbreviations in the forums. SD=Skydancer PC=Pearlcatcher RB=Ridgeback (also known as Ridgies) WC=Wildclaw Imp=Imperial Noc- Nocturne NoTN- Night of the Nocturne (an event that happens in December) iri/shim or irishim- Iridescent/Shimmer (gene combination) cry/face or cryface- Crystal/Facet (gene combination) Coli=Coliseum Faire=Fairgrounds SS=Shock Switch AH=Auction House CR, XR, or Xroads= Crossroads Dom: Dominance [b][u]2. How do you ping someone? What is a ping?[/u][/b] Pinging is basically this: adding the @ symbol before someone's username, so @Zhukov. Pings are not case-sensitive, so @zhukov would still do the same thing. When you ping someone, they are notified of your mention. Do not put a space between the @ and the username. I have seen people doing it and it will NOT do anything! A ping will also link to a user's Clan Profile. [u] [b]3. What do you do in the forums?[/u][/b] In the Flight Rising forums, you can interact with other players of Flight Rising. [u]Announcements and News: [/u]Only administrators can make a thread here. It is what the title says: a place to announce new stuff on Flight Rising. You can find old archived announcements there, but necromancy is frowned upon. [u] Flight Rising Discussion: [/u]This is a forum to discuss anything about Flight Rising that doesn't fit into any of the other forums. [u]Suggestions:[/u] Here, you can suggest ideas to make Flight Rising even better, and view others suggestions, and comment on them. [u]Help Center:[/u] Come here to ask questions and to answer the questions of others. [u]Guides: [/u]Here you may find guides that other players have made to help out (like this one!), or post your own. [u]Bug Report Forums: [/u]If you think you have found a bug in the game, report it here! Take time to look for other threads that may be relevant to your problem. [u]Your Flight: [/u]This is a private forum for members of your flight, and only people in your flight are able to access it. For example, I can access the Shadow Flight forums, but my friend in Ice flight can't. Same way that I can't go to any of the flight forums except for the one for Shadow flight. [u]Your Flight's Dominance: [/u] Once again, this is a private forum for members of your flight. This one is specifically for planning flight dominance pushes, and will contain strategy and planning related to that. [u]Dragon Share: [/u]This is where you can go to show off your dragons, ask for advice relating to dragons (i.e What gene should I give my dragon?) , and look at other people's dragons. [u] Dragons For Sale: [/u]Here is where you go if you are trying to sell a dragon, or to see if anyone is selling dragons that you would like to buy. Hatchery threads go here too. [u]Find a Dragon: [/u]If you can't find a dragon that you want, you can always come here and make a post searching for a specific dragon. If you are trying to sell a dragon, come here to see if anyone is looking for a dragon like the one you are trying to sell. [u] Dragon Trading: [/u]This is where you arrange crossroads trades with others, to trade dragons. [u]Items for Sale: [/u]This is the forum for buying or selling items, being anything like food, familiars, apparel, scrolls, trinkets, etc. Gem shops, where you can buy gems for treasure, or sell gems for treasure, also go here. [u] Auctions: [/u] For classic style auctions, ie where you offer an item for others to bid on and sell it to the highest bidder. Despite its name, the auction house doesn't have this functionality so it must be done through the forums and crossroads. [u]Skins and Accents:[/u] Show off your skins and accents that you have made, and sell them to others. [u]Your Flight Sales: [/u]Works the same way as your flight's forums in that only members of your flight may access them, but these are for sales threads, raffles, trading, and giveaways only. [u]General Discussion:[/u] Discuss anything non Flight Rising related. [u]Forum Games: [/u]Play forum and word games here. [u]Roleplay: [/u]Roleplay with other players! [u]Adoptables:[/u] Show off and adopt adoptables here. [u]Creative Corner: [/u]Share your artwork and stories, and look at other people's art. [u]Art Sales:[/u] Sell your artwork here. [b][u]4. What does "bump" mean?[/u][/b] Basically, when you bump a thread, you are bringing it back to the top. All you need to do to bump a thread is to write something. Usually people write bump. You are only allowed to bump threads in sales forums (eg Dragon Sales, your flight's sales) [u][b]5. How do I post a picture of my dragon?[/b][/u] On your dragon's page, at the bottom of it's infobox, click the button that says 'Generate Code", then select the BBCode and paste it into your comment. For Example: BBCode: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17469214] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/174693/17469214_350.png[/img] [/url] [u] [b]6. What do the stars under a member's name mean?[/b][/u] The stars show how many forum posts one has made. 1 star: 25 posts 2 stars: 50 posts 3 stars: 100 posts 4 stars: 200 posts 5 stars: 500 posts. BaronStar/ Shiny Star: 1000 posts. [u][b] 7. How do I get a cool forum background?[/b][/u] The background is called a Forum Vista. They can be obtained in many ways. Some are exclusive to Kickstarter-backers, beta testers, site events (such as festivals), or contest winners. Some can be bought in the treasure or gem marketplace, and some drop from defeating Coliseum enemies. They can also be found in the Auction house. To equip one, find it in the Specialty tab of your hoard and add it to your account. Click the arrow beside your username in the top box, go to Account Settings, find Forum Vista and click change. All the vistas you have equipped should be here. Select one and save. [u][b]8. How do I get a forum signature?[/b][/u] Click the arrow beside your username in the top box, the one that shows how much treasure you have, etc. Click Account Settings, then click Forum Signature. [u][b]9. How do I change my icon?[/b][/u] Click the same arrow, then select Change Avatar. You can choose any dragon you own! [u][b]10. Help! I clicked a link and it didn't work![/b][/u] Look at the URL, and delete amp; from it. Then reload and it should work! (This shouldn't be a problem anymore, but just in case, I'm leaving it here). [u] [b]11. What are the icons underneath my avi in the forums?[/b][/u] Aside from the forums post stars (which were already mentioned), the star-like icon represents the number of achievement points a user has. If you click it, it will take you to that user's achievement page. The dragon's wing represents the number of dragons a user has, and if you click it, it will take you to that user's lair. The book represents the number of familiars collected by a user, and if you click it, it will take you to the user's bestiary. The scroll represents the number of forum posts a user has. [u][b] Feel free to ask a question here if there's something I missed or was unclear on. I've been around here for a long time too, so if there's some kind of inside joke that you aren't getting I might be able to help you out there too. :>
So here are some common questions about the Flight Rising forums, and their answers. Please ping me if you have another question to add, if I was wrong about something, or if you found a typo.

Firstly, take time to read the rules: http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=frd&id=749441&p=mb

And the Code of Conduct: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=81

1. What does SD stand for?

People like to use abbreviations in the forums.
SD=Skydancer
PC=Pearlcatcher
RB=Ridgeback (also known as Ridgies)
WC=Wildclaw
Imp=Imperial
Noc- Nocturne
NoTN- Night of the Nocturne (an event that happens in December)
iri/shim or irishim- Iridescent/Shimmer (gene combination)
cry/face or cryface- Crystal/Facet (gene combination)
Coli=Coliseum
Faire=Fairgrounds
SS=Shock Switch
AH=Auction House
CR, XR, or Xroads= Crossroads
Dom: Dominance

2. How do you ping someone? What is a ping?
Pinging is basically this: adding the @ symbol before someone's username, so @Zhukov. Pings are not case-sensitive, so @zhukov would still do the same thing. When you ping someone, they are notified of your mention. Do not put a space between the @ and the username. I have seen people doing it and it will NOT do anything! A ping will also link to a user's Clan Profile.

3. What do you do in the forums?

In the Flight Rising forums, you can interact with other players of Flight Rising.

Announcements and News: Only administrators can make a thread here. It is what the title says: a place to announce new stuff on Flight Rising. You can find old archived announcements there, but necromancy is frowned upon.

Flight Rising Discussion:
This is a forum to discuss anything about Flight Rising that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.

Suggestions: Here, you can suggest ideas to make Flight Rising even better, and view others suggestions, and comment on them.

Help Center: Come here to ask questions and to answer the questions of others.

Guides: Here you may find guides that other players have made to help out (like this one!), or post your own.

Bug Report Forums: If you think you have found a bug in the game, report it here! Take time to look for other threads that may be relevant to your problem.

Your Flight: This is a private forum for members of your flight, and only people in your flight are able to access it. For example, I can access the Shadow Flight forums, but my friend in Ice flight can't. Same way that I can't go to any of the flight forums except for the one for Shadow flight.

Your Flight's Dominance: Once again, this is a private forum for members of your flight. This one is specifically for planning flight dominance pushes, and will contain strategy and planning related to that.

Dragon Share: This is where you can go to show off your dragons, ask for advice relating to dragons (i.e What gene should I give my dragon?) , and look at other people's dragons.

Dragons For Sale:
Here is where you go if you are trying to sell a dragon, or to see if anyone is selling dragons that you would like to buy. Hatchery threads go here too.

Find a Dragon: If you can't find a dragon that you want, you can always come here and make a post searching for a specific dragon. If you are trying to sell a dragon, come here to see if anyone is looking for a dragon like the one you are trying to sell.

Dragon Trading:
This is where you arrange crossroads trades with others, to trade dragons.

Items for Sale: This is the forum for buying or selling items, being anything like food, familiars, apparel, scrolls, trinkets, etc. Gem shops, where you can buy gems for treasure, or sell gems for treasure, also go here.

Auctions: For classic style auctions, ie where you offer an item for others to bid on and sell it to the highest bidder. Despite its name, the auction house doesn't have this functionality so it must be done through the forums and crossroads.

Skins and Accents: Show off your skins and accents that you have made, and sell them to others.

Your Flight Sales: Works the same way as your flight's forums in that only members of your flight may access them, but these are for sales threads, raffles, trading, and giveaways only.

General Discussion: Discuss anything non Flight Rising related.

Forum Games: Play forum and word games here.

Roleplay: Roleplay with other players!

Adoptables: Show off and adopt adoptables here.

Creative Corner: Share your artwork and stories, and look at other people's art.

Art Sales: Sell your artwork here.

4. What does "bump" mean?
Basically, when you bump a thread, you are bringing it back to the top. All you need to do to bump a thread is to write something. Usually people write bump. You are only allowed to bump threads in sales forums (eg Dragon Sales, your flight's sales)

5. How do I post a picture of my dragon?
On your dragon's page, at the bottom of it's infobox, click the button that says 'Generate Code", then select the BBCode and paste it into your comment. For Example:
BBCode:

17469214_350.png

6. What do the stars under a member's name mean?

The stars show how many forum posts one has made.
1 star: 25 posts
2 stars: 50 posts
3 stars: 100 posts
4 stars: 200 posts
5 stars: 500 posts.
BaronStar/ Shiny Star: 1000 posts.

7. How do I get a cool forum background?

The background is called a Forum Vista. They can be obtained in many ways. Some are exclusive to Kickstarter-backers, beta testers, site events (such as festivals), or contest winners. Some can be bought in the treasure or gem marketplace, and some drop from defeating Coliseum enemies. They can also be found in the Auction house.

To equip one, find it in the Specialty tab of your hoard and add it to your account. Click the arrow beside your username in the top box, go to Account Settings, find Forum Vista and click change. All the vistas you have equipped should be here. Select one and save.

8. How do I get a forum signature?
Click the arrow beside your username in the top box, the one that shows how much treasure you have, etc. Click Account Settings, then click Forum Signature.

9. How do I change my icon?
Click the same arrow, then select Change Avatar. You can choose any dragon you own!

10. Help! I clicked a link and it didn't work!
Look at the URL, and delete amp; from it. Then reload and it should work! (This shouldn't be a problem anymore, but just in case, I'm leaving it here).

11. What are the icons underneath my avi in the forums?

Aside from the forums post stars (which were already mentioned), the star-like icon represents the number of achievement points a user has. If you click it, it will take you to that user's achievement page. The dragon's wing represents the number of dragons a user has, and if you click it, it will take you to that user's lair. The book represents the number of familiars collected by a user, and if you click it, it will take you to the user's bestiary. The scroll represents the number of forum posts a user has.

Feel free to ask a question here if there's something I missed or was unclear on. I've been around here for a long time too, so if there's some kind of inside joke that you aren't getting I might be able to help you out there too. :>
jCVhFoZ.gif
Friendly bump
Friendly bump
975_zps4a52f081.png
@Synchroton Thank you!
@Synchroton Thank you!
jCVhFoZ.gif
@Synchroton

Some people might find this info obvious, but for others it just flies over their heads.
Thanks for the quick guide help!
@Synchroton

Some people might find this info obvious, but for others it just flies over their heads.
Thanks for the quick guide help!
@clairette don't thank me, its all @shadowspirit work
@clairette don't thank me, its all @shadowspirit work
975_zps4a52f081.png
Bump.
Bump.
jCVhFoZ.gif
@shadowspirit
1 star:25 posts
2 stars:50 posts
3 stars:100 posts
4 stars:200 posts
@shadowspirit
1 star:25 posts
2 stars:50 posts
3 stars:100 posts
4 stars:200 posts
@lanol Thanks, I'll add them in. I got those so long ago that I forgot ._.;
@lanol Thanks, I'll add them in. I got those so long ago that I forgot ._.;
jCVhFoZ.gif
Thanks for the helpful guide. There is one question I'd like to add. How do I post a link in a form post, where the link appears as text?
Thanks for the helpful guide. There is one question I'd like to add. How do I post a link in a form post, where the link appears as text?
@EmberEyes That, my friend, is with the magic of BBCode. I recommend you check out this thread: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=gde&id=1047514&page=1
@EmberEyes That, my friend, is with the magic of BBCode. I recommend you check out this thread: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=gde&id=1047514&page=1
jCVhFoZ.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12