Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Hatchling Probability Calculator
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15
Is there a bug or is it just my computer: searching for a color range instead of a single color returns 0% even when parents entered in should produce a dragon in that range with 100%
Is there a bug or is it just my computer: searching for a color range instead of a single color returns 0% even when parents entered in should produce a dragon in that range with 100%
Crystal_Garden_banner.png tumblr_nti62fgW0T1r3l5hqo2_r1_100.png
@silverrowan

Sorry for the late reply; I don't seem to get notifications for this anymore unless I'm pinged.

Can you tell me specifically what combo you're searching for? I can't seem to reproduce the problem just playing around with it.
@silverrowan

Sorry for the late reply; I don't seem to get notifications for this anymore unless I'm pinged.

Can you tell me specifically what combo you're searching for? I can't seem to reproduce the problem just playing around with it.
xx0EhWi.pngUyBW8Jg.png
iglkzhb.pngsr698VG.png
YKdG5AX.pngSbfGzzZ.png
@runo I'll give you what I can remember

facet/crystal/circuit or no genes, both have the same problem. cotyl/wildclaw parents, tried cotyl/cotyl or wildclaw/wildclaw as well if that matters.
seafoam or jade (cant remember) to leaf for all three genes, and the reverse direction as well.
parents colors entirely in the green area of the wheel. Can't remember exact colors.
Using chrome as the browser, no script blocking or anything, I've never bothered with the single color prediction, but have had no problems with gene prediction.

thank you for the predictor, its wonderful :)
@runo I'll give you what I can remember

facet/crystal/circuit or no genes, both have the same problem. cotyl/wildclaw parents, tried cotyl/cotyl or wildclaw/wildclaw as well if that matters.
seafoam or jade (cant remember) to leaf for all three genes, and the reverse direction as well.
parents colors entirely in the green area of the wheel. Can't remember exact colors.
Using chrome as the browser, no script blocking or anything, I've never bothered with the single color prediction, but have had no problems with gene prediction.

thank you for the predictor, its wonderful :)
@silverrowan

Is it possible the color range for the desired hatchling included some colors outside the range the parents can produce? In that case, even if some of the colors in the range are possible, the probability will still be given as 0%.
@silverrowan

Is it possible the color range for the desired hatchling included some colors outside the range the parents can produce? In that case, even if some of the colors in the range are possible, the probability will still be given as 0%.
xx0EhWi.pngUyBW8Jg.png
iglkzhb.pngsr698VG.png
YKdG5AX.pngSbfGzzZ.png
@Runa
why would it still be given as zero in that case? you can only have one color per gene at a time anyways?
Doesn't that defeat the point of having the range calculation anyways? Am I missing something?

To make this clearer, just in case we're missunderstanding each other:
desired hatchling range was seafoam to leaf (widest pure green band possible)
the parent range would have been something like forest to avocado, all possible colors within the desired range, but not covering the entire range.

ended up entering this in because I got 0% for something was was pretty sure was possible (though not quite so guaranteed)
@Runa
why would it still be given as zero in that case? you can only have one color per gene at a time anyways?
Doesn't that defeat the point of having the range calculation anyways? Am I missing something?

To make this clearer, just in case we're missunderstanding each other:
desired hatchling range was seafoam to leaf (widest pure green band possible)
the parent range would have been something like forest to avocado, all possible colors within the desired range, but not covering the entire range.

ended up entering this in because I got 0% for something was was pretty sure was possible (though not quite so guaranteed)
@silverrowan

It results in 0% because I didn't anticipate that people would use the range calculation that way, basically; I thought people would only look for ranges within the possible range provided by the parents, and based on the way I'd coded it, giving 0% was the most straightforward way to deal with other situations. However, since you're actually using it that way, I'll change it! It does indeed make more sense to still calculate the probability even if some of the specified hatchling range isn't possible.

I'll post here again once the update's gone online.
@silverrowan

It results in 0% because I didn't anticipate that people would use the range calculation that way, basically; I thought people would only look for ranges within the possible range provided by the parents, and based on the way I'd coded it, giving 0% was the most straightforward way to deal with other situations. However, since you're actually using it that way, I'll change it! It does indeed make more sense to still calculate the probability even if some of the specified hatchling range isn't possible.

I'll post here again once the update's gone online.
xx0EhWi.pngUyBW8Jg.png
iglkzhb.pngsr698VG.png
YKdG5AX.pngSbfGzzZ.png
Updated to give correct probability when the hatchling color range includes colors outside the parents' range.
Updated to give correct probability when the hatchling color range includes colors outside the parents' range.
xx0EhWi.pngUyBW8Jg.png
iglkzhb.pngsr698VG.png
YKdG5AX.pngSbfGzzZ.png
@runo
Thank you so much! And for letting me know the secrets behind the page ;)
@runo
Thank you so much! And for letting me know the secrets behind the page ;)
Oh man, I love this thing... Turns out the pairs I was trying to breed didn't have the chances I thought they did, and this calculator helped me pick out better parents to breed. :D Got up from about a 5% chance to a 25% chance of getting the hatchling I want! Thanks so much @Runo for making this~
Oh man, I love this thing... Turns out the pairs I was trying to breed didn't have the chances I thought they did, and this calculator helped me pick out better parents to breed. :D Got up from about a 5% chance to a 25% chance of getting the hatchling I want! Thanks so much @Runo for making this~
@acording

pinging myself for the future.
@acording

pinging myself for the future.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15