Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | UMAs.. (update, this time wholesome)
1 2 3
oh man I feel you friend. I can't ever find the skins or accents I'd like to see made, but I haven't got the skill to make them myself. Even if I was only making them for me and nobody else I'd still probably dislike what I ended up with, lol. It's really frustrating, especially when you have a whole armload of accent ideas that you know will never make it to reality.

Sometimes I wish someone would make skin/accent tutorials that explains their process and maybe some of the lineart and shading tricks out there. Even that much I feel would be insanely helpful to me to get started on a good foot, but if they exist I've never been able to find one.
oh man I feel you friend. I can't ever find the skins or accents I'd like to see made, but I haven't got the skill to make them myself. Even if I was only making them for me and nobody else I'd still probably dislike what I ended up with, lol. It's really frustrating, especially when you have a whole armload of accent ideas that you know will never make it to reality.

Sometimes I wish someone would make skin/accent tutorials that explains their process and maybe some of the lineart and shading tricks out there. Even that much I feel would be insanely helpful to me to get started on a good foot, but if they exist I've never been able to find one.
[quote name="@Maelstrym" date="2019-10-15 18:28:24" ] oh man I feel you friend. I can't ever find the skins or accents I'd like to see made, but I haven't got the skill to make them myself. Even if I was only making them for me and nobody else I'd still probably dislike what I ended up with, lol. It's really frustrating, especially when you have a whole armload of accent ideas that you know will never make it to reality. Sometimes I wish someone would make skin/accent tutorials that explains their process and maybe some of the lineart and shading tricks out there. Even that much I feel would be insanely helpful to me to get started on a good foot, but if they exist I've never been able to find one. [/quote] I can try to make something to help ;u; got any questions? but usually digital art skill in general is a necessary basis, and there are many tutorials for those everywhere!
@Maelstrym wrote on 2019-10-15 18:28:24:

I can try to make something to help ;u; got any questions?
but usually digital art skill in general is a necessary basis, and there are many tutorials for those everywhere!
Shattered Glass
|[skins]les chats'
|[$]art shop
|aesthetic™ busts
|100 eggs quest
[quote name="Maelstrym" date="2019-10-15 18:28:24" ] oh man I feel you friend. I can't ever find the skins or accents I'd like to see made, but I haven't got the skill to make them myself. Even if I was only making them for me and nobody else I'd still probably dislike what I ended up with, lol. It's really frustrating, especially when you have a whole armload of accent ideas that you know will never make it to reality. Sometimes I wish someone would make skin/accent tutorials that explains their process and maybe some of the lineart and shading tricks out there. Even that much I feel would be insanely helpful to me to get started on a good foot, but if they exist I've never been able to find one. [/quote] THIS
Maelstrym wrote on 2019-10-15 18:28:24:

THIS
@macchi would you mind if i ask a question instead? if no, how can i get away with the shading layer because it always butchers my skins :/
@macchi would you mind if i ask a question instead? if no, how can i get away with the shading layer because it always butchers my skins :/
Hey, not all of us are talented digitally, or we aren't proud of our art skill, or whatever

But, I think its a bad pit to fall into hating other's work because you can't do it yourself. Kind of like hating cake because you can't make cake. I understand the feeling, sometimes people post stunning art and I dislike it a bit because I think 'I wish I could draw like that...'
But you don't want to do that.

Some things I do are:
How do they do that wing? Maybe if I practise wing anatomy,, I can do that wing!
How can they make it seem like there's no lineart over their many eyes? If I ask them nicely, maybe they'll give me some tips!
What's stopping me from getting there? Is it my artstyle? If so, do I really need to try to copy their artstyle but instead use my own and develop it to work for skins/accents?

I know its hard. But please, criticise your work. Don't hate it. Self-deprecation doesn't help at all, if you want to improve/alter your artstyle for skins and accents,,, there are people that can help you! But you're not going to get better by hating UMAs or your own art. Some things like sketching the rough layout and having a skinmaker polish it into a skin, getting tips, watching speedpaints of skins (idk if people do these, but atleast ask to see the layers maybe?)
Also, practise. You're not going to get better overnight. The art market is a tough place but we all get there with practise!
Also took a look at your art shop. Your art is beautiful, but people tend to prefer art styles that are realistic/fit with fr. This by no mean means your art sucks. It doesn't! You have 10+ pages of replies on your art shop, from that I guess people like your art!
All artists have their down times, but even the amazing skin makers today once looked up at people better than them and probably thought 'I can't do that'
If you need any tips from an amateur skin/accent maker (don't have a shop, just enter the cons) let me know! I'll give you some of my limited knowledge
Hey, not all of us are talented digitally, or we aren't proud of our art skill, or whatever

But, I think its a bad pit to fall into hating other's work because you can't do it yourself. Kind of like hating cake because you can't make cake. I understand the feeling, sometimes people post stunning art and I dislike it a bit because I think 'I wish I could draw like that...'
But you don't want to do that.

Some things I do are:
How do they do that wing? Maybe if I practise wing anatomy,, I can do that wing!
How can they make it seem like there's no lineart over their many eyes? If I ask them nicely, maybe they'll give me some tips!
What's stopping me from getting there? Is it my artstyle? If so, do I really need to try to copy their artstyle but instead use my own and develop it to work for skins/accents?

I know its hard. But please, criticise your work. Don't hate it. Self-deprecation doesn't help at all, if you want to improve/alter your artstyle for skins and accents,,, there are people that can help you! But you're not going to get better by hating UMAs or your own art. Some things like sketching the rough layout and having a skinmaker polish it into a skin, getting tips, watching speedpaints of skins (idk if people do these, but atleast ask to see the layers maybe?)
Also, practise. You're not going to get better overnight. The art market is a tough place but we all get there with practise!
Also took a look at your art shop. Your art is beautiful, but people tend to prefer art styles that are realistic/fit with fr. This by no mean means your art sucks. It doesn't! You have 10+ pages of replies on your art shop, from that I guess people like your art!
All artists have their down times, but even the amazing skin makers today once looked up at people better than them and probably thought 'I can't do that'
If you need any tips from an amateur skin/accent maker (don't have a shop, just enter the cons) let me know! I'll give you some of my limited knowledge
- they/them
- +8 FR time
- Feel free to talk/ping!
- Old UN: LemonySnaket

kBjtmwi.png kd8tKB5.png
@Macchi you are a sweetheart ;u;
You absolutely don't have to make a thing if you don't want, but the offer alone is so very kind.

I think the things that hold me back the most about accents are the shadow and line art layers. I know you're allowed to tweak the colors there, but I've never been sure how people manage to make things that seem to get around that and yet still follow the rules. Things that add volume to the dragon, like armor or lanterns, that somehow work their way around the shadow layer especially so that it fits within the rules but you don't really seem to notice the shadow there at all.

If you have any tips on things like that I would be eternally grateful. If any of that made sense XP
@Macchi you are a sweetheart ;u;
You absolutely don't have to make a thing if you don't want, but the offer alone is so very kind.

I think the things that hold me back the most about accents are the shadow and line art layers. I know you're allowed to tweak the colors there, but I've never been sure how people manage to make things that seem to get around that and yet still follow the rules. Things that add volume to the dragon, like armor or lanterns, that somehow work their way around the shadow layer especially so that it fits within the rules but you don't really seem to notice the shadow there at all.

If you have any tips on things like that I would be eternally grateful. If any of that made sense XP
[quote name="UVeyes" date="2019-10-15 21:57:15" ] [quote name="Maelstrym" date="2019-10-15 18:28:24" ] oh man I feel you friend. I can't ever find the skins or accents I'd like to see made, but I haven't got the skill to make them myself. Even if I was only making them for me and nobody else I'd still probably dislike what I ended up with, lol. It's really frustrating, especially when you have a whole armload of accent ideas that you know will never make it to reality. Sometimes I wish someone would make skin/accent tutorials that explains their process and maybe some of the lineart and shading tricks out there. Even that much I feel would be insanely helpful to me to get started on a good foot, but if they exist I've never been able to find one. [/quote] THIS [/quote] @Maelstrym @UVeyes Funfact, I actually was planning to write a guide like this and I have a WIP of how my process goes in my google drive, I can clean it up and send the link if you want to? EDIT: i feel like i should mention that i'm not the popular accent artist out there, but my stuff generally does sell for at least one 10-print. (sometimes even up to 9 of said prints but it's not the norm). My best advice? keep going. I used to be able to sell almost nothing, but it's practice that ends up making the biggest difference. Here's some of my first skins versus some of my latest skins, it's a big difference. [skin=16538] [skin=17604] vs [skin=31323] [skin=30575] I should also mention that there's a big difference in terms of time there too. I made the first two when i was 13, the last two when i was 16.
UVeyes wrote on 2019-10-15 21:57:15:
Maelstrym wrote on 2019-10-15 18:28:24:

THIS
@Maelstrym @UVeyes
Funfact, I actually was planning to write a guide like this and I have a WIP of how my process goes in my google drive, I can clean it up and send the link if you want to?

EDIT: i feel like i should mention that i'm not the popular accent artist out there, but my stuff generally does sell for at least one 10-print. (sometimes even up to 9 of said prints but it's not the norm). My best advice? keep going. I used to be able to sell almost nothing, but it's practice that ends up making the biggest difference.

Here's some of my first skins versus some of my latest skins, it's a big difference.
vs
I should also mention that there's a big difference in terms of time there too. I made the first two when i was 13, the last two when i was 16.
Hi! I'm Jake or Rads
lwN7WD5.png FRT+9 | he/him

accent shop
xx Silhouette of a flying dragon
@Parda yes !!! I asked for advice so many times and absolutely nobody helpt me. I got experience in digital art (and can draw detailed if i want to) and tutorials help a lot. There are some things I cant understand by myself ahem THAT SHADING LAYER NOT RUINING MY SKINS
One of the few things I want is being able to at least make one print run. It would motivate me and make me not hate umas.
@Parda yes !!! I asked for advice so many times and absolutely nobody helpt me. I got experience in digital art (and can draw detailed if i want to) and tutorials help a lot. There are some things I cant understand by myself ahem THAT SHADING LAYER NOT RUINING MY SKINS
One of the few things I want is being able to at least make one print run. It would motivate me and make me not hate umas.
@LemonySnaket (didn't see your reply oopsie)
Yes, it's a bad feeling and I hate it. Kinda the reason why I made this thread. In general art I don't feel like that. My feelings are usually positive towards it but in skins there's something weird. I wanna fix that.
Also thank you !! I prefer stylized art but realism helps me a lot. It shows me what the thing looks like and develop a style while drawing it.
@LemonySnaket (didn't see your reply oopsie)
Yes, it's a bad feeling and I hate it. Kinda the reason why I made this thread. In general art I don't feel like that. My feelings are usually positive towards it but in skins there's something weird. I wanna fix that.
Also thank you !! I prefer stylized art but realism helps me a lot. It shows me what the thing looks like and develop a style while drawing it.
@UVeyes @Maelstrym the thing about the shadow layer is that usually it works to your favor by enhancing the dragon. however, with a lot of drastic form-changing you just kind of need to roll with it. what I do is I ignore it until the end then I play around with a soft translucent eraser to see where I could lessen some of it. I also change around the layer modes and color them faintly. it is a bit of a trial and error process and rarely are they consistent, as the queue is managed by real people and not an AI. I personally love to use a lot of contrast and bright colors in my art, so it is not as much of a problem to me.
@UVeyes @Maelstrym the thing about the shadow layer is that usually it works to your favor by enhancing the dragon. however, with a lot of drastic form-changing you just kind of need to roll with it. what I do is I ignore it until the end then I play around with a soft translucent eraser to see where I could lessen some of it. I also change around the layer modes and color them faintly. it is a bit of a trial and error process and rarely are they consistent, as the queue is managed by real people and not an AI. I personally love to use a lot of contrast and bright colors in my art, so it is not as much of a problem to me.
Shattered Glass
|[skins]les chats'
|[$]art shop
|aesthetic™ busts
|100 eggs quest
1 2 3