Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [LORE] Sornieth Familiar Zodiac
1 2 3 4 5
Hey all! This idea has been swimming around my head for a few days, so I'm finally going to write it down. This is a zodiac system based on the year that dragons are hatched in, inspired by the years of the Chinese zodiac! Think of it as a kind of horoscope for your dragons--meant to be fun, but not taken too seriously! Feel free to leave comments and suggestions here, or let me know how these descriptions fit (or don't fit) your dragons! I'm also fine with anyone using this lore for their own dragons, or expanding on it further! Have fun! UPDATE: I've started working on shorter monthly horoscopes based on each individual familiar! I'll update my progress here: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2623532/2#post_37581704]Ambassadors[/url] (UPDATE 2: Haven't worked on those since 2019 but some of them are written! ;w;) ----- [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/diDqtlE.png[/img][br] [img]http://i.imgur.com/2tHVkFr.png[/img][nextcol] [b]YEAR OF THE SPRITE[/B] [i]June 2013-May 2014[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Friendly, trustworthy, loyal [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Indecisive, self-conscious[br] Dragons hatched in the Year of the Sprite are the most ancient in the realm. Many hold vast wisdom that comes with time, but they are also endowed with certain gifts from their patron familiars. The Year of the Sprite is named for the spry little creatures that make up the entourages of deities. They are naturally social creatures, always looking out for one another.[br] These dragons prize their relationships with others above all else. They will often have multiple groups of friends, and will easily be able to maintain strong bonds with all of them. Where many dragons may be spread socially thin in this sort of situation, this is exactly where Sprite dragons thrive. They are the life of the party; the one that everyone wants to get to know. For all their socializing, Sprite dragons tend not to be gossips. They are excellent at keeping secrets, and are immensely trustworthy to their friends.[br] For all their strengths in navigating busy social lives, Sprite dragons might find trouble in some of the deeper, more challenging aspects of their relationships. Though they excel at small talk and casual conversation, they are not the greatest givers of advice. In an argument between two friends, a Sprite dragon finds it impossible to pick a side, or otherwise engage in conflict. On a personal level, Sprite dragons may also have trouble with self-image. They are so invested in their social lives, some may put too much weight into what others think of them.[br] [b]Advice for Sprite dragons:[/b] Be yourself, and stand up for what you believe in.[/columns] ----- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/4156.png[/img][br] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/9998.png[/img][nextcol][b]YEAR OF THE BEAR[/b] [i]June 2014-May 2015[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Level-headed, tenacious, protective [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Cold, blunt[br] The Year of the Bear is named for the protectors of the eleven regions of Sornieth. These hulking beasts are just as strong as they look; standing like stone guardians over their lands. Dragons hatched during this year take after their patron familiars as strong, stoic protectors.[br] Dragons hatched in the Year of the Bear often appear unapproachable to outsiders. However, to their close friends they are unbreakably loyal. Bear dragons prefer to form a few extremely strong social bonds rather than many. They tend to be the "rock" in their relationships. They are not emotionally volatile, so others rely on them for stability. Everything about these dragons is strong--they are often physically athletic, strong-willed and emotionally stable. Once a Bear dragon sets their mind to achieving something, not heaven nor earth will be able to stop them from doing it.[br] For Bear dragons, their greatest weaknesses lie in matters of the heart. They are often introverted and quiet, making them seem cold or uncaring at times. Bear dragons tend to get lost in their own world inside their head. In a social setting where others engage in polite small-talk, they would rather keep to themselves or their close friends. They care little for social norms, and see manners as petty things, which can cause problems with acquaintances.[br] [b]Advice for Bear dragons:[/b] Remember to be conscious of other dragons around you--open up, and let others in.[/columns] ----- [columns][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/0/0d/Sunbeam_Soldier.png[/img][br][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/14122.png[/img][nextcol] [b]YEAR OF THE ELEMENTAL[/b] [i]June 2015-May 2016[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Passionate, adventurous, flexible [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Volatile, dramatic[br] The third year in the Sornieth calendar is named for the acolyte Elementals of the deities. These creatures are the personification of their element. They are bound to the forces of nature--constantly moving and changing.[br] Like their patron familiars, dragons hatched in the Year of the Elemental are wild and ever-changing. This quality allows them to adapt to any situation. These dragons tend to be intensely passionate in everything they do--from work to relationships. The passion of Elemental dragons also makes them incredibly adventurous, leading them to out-of-the-box ideas that others may be wary to try. They are always looking out for thrills and adventures--anything to satisfy their appetite for new experiences.[br] Elemental dragons are flexible, but this can sometimes lead to chronic impermanence in their lives. In their constant search for adventure, they tend to cycle through relationships relatively quickly. They tend not to hold onto friends very long, and romantic relationships are intense but short-lived. Elemental dragons are intense in everything they do, including their emotions. Due to this, they may be quick to anger, and easily offended.[br] [b]Advice for Elemental dragons:[/b] Take a deep breath and slow down. Life doesn't have to be a race.[/columns] ----- [columns][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/5/53/Gusting_Goblin.png[/img][br][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/4/42/Frozen_Goblin.png[/img][nextcol] [b]YEAR OF THE GOBLIN[/b] [i]June 2016-May 2017[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Smart, resourceful, observant [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Selfish, deceptive[br] Thought to be creatures of legend until this year, Goblins are the reclusive spies of the deities. They are quiet, watchful creatures hiding in the corners of the realm, keeping a close eye on dragon clans. Dragons hatched in the Year of the Goblin may share these secretive qualities.[br] The greatest strength of Goblin dragons is their sharp wit. Dragons born in this year tend to have an extra dose of intelligence, particularly when it comes to logic and problem-solving. They make great use of both their environment and their social connections, climbing the social ladder quickly. Goblin dragons tend to be quieter than others, but not out of shyness. They are always quietly observing others, learning from them and thinking of their next move. This skill makes them great politicians or salesmen, but can also lead to trouble in relationships.[br] Dragons hatched in the Year of the Goblin can easily become the target of suspicion in their clan. They tend to use others for personal gain, be it purposefully or unwittingly. Goblin dragons are indeed resourceful, but this resourcefulness can be seen as selfishness, especially in social situations. They are often very successful, particularly when it comes to finances, but this success may come under fire because of the methods they used to get it.[br] [b]Advice for Goblin dragons:[/b] The world is not out to get you, it's okay to trust others.[/columns] ----- [columns][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/b/b8/Spirit_of_the_Arcane.png[/img][br][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/e/ef/Spirit_of_Shadow.png[/img][nextcol] [b]YEAR OF THE SPIRIT[/b] [i]June 2017-May 2018[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Creative, optimistic, energetic [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Careless, irresponsible[br] The Spirits of the elements are very similar to Elementals in their composition; they are formed from the essence of their element. However, their presentation and purpose are quite different. Spirits are wild and ephemeral, and some of this free-spirited energy rubs off on dragons hatched within this year.[br] Dragons hatched in the Year of the Spirit are natural artists. Creative energy flows from them like a fountain, taking new and beautiful shapes with each individual. These dragons care little for the constraints of logic or norms of dragon society. They follow their hearts in the purest possible way. This quality makes Spirit dragons a joy to be around; they are constantly energetic, and there is always a surprise around the corner. They value spontaneity and freedom above all else.[br] With their larger-than-life personalities, Spirit dragons can be hard to pin down. They love to always be changing and growing, but this can be a challenge for dragons close to them. Spirit dragons are very individualistic, which can lead them to disregard the needs of others. This quality makes it very hard to maintain romantic, or even close platonic relationships. Their endless optimism can also lead to carelessness--they are often unprepared for challenges in their lives.[br] [b]Advice for Spirit dragons:[/b] Life isn't always about the "big picture." Be prepared to deal with the details.[/columns] ----- [columns][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/b/bf/Crystalcourt_Ambassador.png[/img][br][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/8/83/Voltaic_Ambassador.png[/img][nextcol] [b]YEAR OF THE AMBASSADOR[/b] [i]June 2018-May 2019[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Witty, hard-working, adaptable [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Pretentious, unsympathetic[br] The Year of the Ambassador honors the diverse beastclans that share Sornieth with dragons. These sentient beings come in all shapes and sizes, with attitudes to match. The presence of beastclans can often be a boon for dragons, and these Ambassadors symbolize the centuries-long friendship between these species.[br] The greatest strength of dragons hatched in the Year of the Ambassador is no doubt their impeccable social skills. Ambassador dragons can read others like an open book, and have the social intelligence to befriend all kinds. Despite this great social ability, Ambassador dragons also tend to be very individualistic. They are diligent workers, able to make the best out of any situation through their hard work and wit. This skill makes them extremely successful in business ventures and other matters of money.[br] Because they are so hard-working, Ambassador dragons tend to be unsympathetic towards those who are unwilling or unable to work like they do. Ambassador dragons are incredibly proud, which can lead them to a sort of snobby attitude at times. They can often be judgmental of other dragons who have taken different paths in life than they have, especially when it comes to more artistic types.[br] [b]Advice for Ambassador dragons:[/b] Remember that everyone's story is different. Your way through life is not the only one.[/columns] ----- [columns][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/b/b2/Zephyr_Gem_Guardian.png[/img][br][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/e/ea/Emberglow_Gem_Guardian.png[/img][nextcol][b]YEAR OF THE GEM GUARDIAN[/b] [i]June 2019-May 2020[/i][br] [b]Strengths:[/b] Independent, reliable, tenacious [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Inflexible, detached[br] Gem Guardians are notoriously small, secritive creatures, hidden away in the treasuries of wealthy and powerful clans until this year. The Year of the Gem Guardian celebrates these valuable, yet little-known protectors of wealth.[br] Just like Gem Guardians wholeheartedly serve a single purpose, dragons hatched in this year tend to devote themselves to a single passion. While others may be figuring out what clan to join or which career path to choose, Gem Guardian dragons find their calling early in life and stick to it. This level of focus allows them to achieve incredible accomplishments in their field of choice and also makes them lifelong, trustworthy friends. A relationship with a Gem Guardian dragon can be intense, but strong and enduring.[br] The single-minded intensity can bring Gem Guardian dragons success, but can also be their greatest downfall. Dragons hatched in this year despise change and can be become very upset by alterations or obstacles in their lives. Their focus on their own work or relationships can also cause them to shut themselves off from others, or appear close-minded.[br] [b]Advice for Gem Guardian dragons:[/b] The world is always changing. Allow yourself to grow and change with those around you.
Hey all! This idea has been swimming around my head for a few days, so I'm finally going to write it down. This is a zodiac system based on the year that dragons are hatched in, inspired by the years of the Chinese zodiac! Think of it as a kind of horoscope for your dragons--meant to be fun, but not taken too seriously!

Feel free to leave comments and suggestions here, or let me know how these descriptions fit (or don't fit) your dragons! I'm also fine with anyone using this lore for their own dragons, or expanding on it further! Have fun!

UPDATE: I've started working on shorter monthly horoscopes based on each individual familiar! I'll update my progress here:

Ambassadors

(UPDATE 2: Haven't worked on those since 2019 but some of them are written! ;w;)

diDqtlE.png

2tHVkFr.png
YEAR OF THE SPRITE
June 2013-May 2014

Strengths: Friendly, trustworthy, loyal
Weaknesses: Indecisive, self-conscious

Dragons hatched in the Year of the Sprite are the most ancient in the realm. Many hold vast wisdom that comes with time, but they are also endowed with certain gifts from their patron familiars. The Year of the Sprite is named for the spry little creatures that make up the entourages of deities. They are naturally social creatures, always looking out for one another.

These dragons prize their relationships with others above all else. They will often have multiple groups of friends, and will easily be able to maintain strong bonds with all of them. Where many dragons may be spread socially thin in this sort of situation, this is exactly where Sprite dragons thrive. They are the life of the party; the one that everyone wants to get to know. For all their socializing, Sprite dragons tend not to be gossips. They are excellent at keeping secrets, and are immensely trustworthy to their friends.

For all their strengths in navigating busy social lives, Sprite dragons might find trouble in some of the deeper, more challenging aspects of their relationships. Though they excel at small talk and casual conversation, they are not the greatest givers of advice. In an argument between two friends, a Sprite dragon finds it impossible to pick a side, or otherwise engage in conflict. On a personal level, Sprite dragons may also have trouble with self-image. They are so invested in their social lives, some may put too much weight into what others think of them.

Advice for Sprite dragons: Be yourself, and stand up for what you believe in.

4156.png

9998.png
YEAR OF THE BEAR
June 2014-May 2015

Strengths: Level-headed, tenacious, protective
Weaknesses: Cold, blunt

The Year of the Bear is named for the protectors of the eleven regions of Sornieth. These hulking beasts are just as strong as they look; standing like stone guardians over their lands. Dragons hatched during this year take after their patron familiars as strong, stoic protectors.

Dragons hatched in the Year of the Bear often appear unapproachable to outsiders. However, to their close friends they are unbreakably loyal. Bear dragons prefer to form a few extremely strong social bonds rather than many. They tend to be the "rock" in their relationships. They are not emotionally volatile, so others rely on them for stability. Everything about these dragons is strong--they are often physically athletic, strong-willed and emotionally stable. Once a Bear dragon sets their mind to achieving something, not heaven nor earth will be able to stop them from doing it.

For Bear dragons, their greatest weaknesses lie in matters of the heart. They are often introverted and quiet, making them seem cold or uncaring at times. Bear dragons tend to get lost in their own world inside their head. In a social setting where others engage in polite small-talk, they would rather keep to themselves or their close friends. They care little for social norms, and see manners as petty things, which can cause problems with acquaintances.

Advice for Bear dragons: Remember to be conscious of other dragons around you--open up, and let others in.

Sunbeam_Soldier.png
14122.png
YEAR OF THE ELEMENTAL
June 2015-May 2016

Strengths: Passionate, adventurous, flexible
Weaknesses: Volatile, dramatic

The third year in the Sornieth calendar is named for the acolyte Elementals of the deities. These creatures are the personification of their element. They are bound to the forces of nature--constantly moving and changing.

Like their patron familiars, dragons hatched in the Year of the Elemental are wild and ever-changing. This quality allows them to adapt to any situation. These dragons tend to be intensely passionate in everything they do--from work to relationships. The passion of Elemental dragons also makes them incredibly adventurous, leading them to out-of-the-box ideas that others may be wary to try. They are always looking out for thrills and adventures--anything to satisfy their appetite for new experiences.

Elemental dragons are flexible, but this can sometimes lead to chronic impermanence in their lives. In their constant search for adventure, they tend to cycle through relationships relatively quickly. They tend not to hold onto friends very long, and romantic relationships are intense but short-lived. Elemental dragons are intense in everything they do, including their emotions. Due to this, they may be quick to anger, and easily offended.

Advice for Elemental dragons: Take a deep breath and slow down. Life doesn't have to be a race.

Gusting_Goblin.png
Frozen_Goblin.png
YEAR OF THE GOBLIN
June 2016-May 2017

Strengths: Smart, resourceful, observant
Weaknesses: Selfish, deceptive

Thought to be creatures of legend until this year, Goblins are the reclusive spies of the deities. They are quiet, watchful creatures hiding in the corners of the realm, keeping a close eye on dragon clans. Dragons hatched in the Year of the Goblin may share these secretive qualities.

The greatest strength of Goblin dragons is their sharp wit. Dragons born in this year tend to have an extra dose of intelligence, particularly when it comes to logic and problem-solving. They make great use of both their environment and their social connections, climbing the social ladder quickly. Goblin dragons tend to be quieter than others, but not out of shyness. They are always quietly observing others, learning from them and thinking of their next move. This skill makes them great politicians or salesmen, but can also lead to trouble in relationships.

Dragons hatched in the Year of the Goblin can easily become the target of suspicion in their clan. They tend to use others for personal gain, be it purposefully or unwittingly. Goblin dragons are indeed resourceful, but this resourcefulness can be seen as selfishness, especially in social situations. They are often very successful, particularly when it comes to finances, but this success may come under fire because of the methods they used to get it.

Advice for Goblin dragons: The world is not out to get you, it's okay to trust others.

Spirit_of_the_Arcane.png
Spirit_of_Shadow.png
YEAR OF THE SPIRIT
June 2017-May 2018

Strengths: Creative, optimistic, energetic
Weaknesses: Careless, irresponsible

The Spirits of the elements are very similar to Elementals in their composition; they are formed from the essence of their element. However, their presentation and purpose are quite different. Spirits are wild and ephemeral, and some of this free-spirited energy rubs off on dragons hatched within this year.

Dragons hatched in the Year of the Spirit are natural artists. Creative energy flows from them like a fountain, taking new and beautiful shapes with each individual. These dragons care little for the constraints of logic or norms of dragon society. They follow their hearts in the purest possible way. This quality makes Spirit dragons a joy to be around; they are constantly energetic, and there is always a surprise around the corner. They value spontaneity and freedom above all else.

With their larger-than-life personalities, Spirit dragons can be hard to pin down. They love to always be changing and growing, but this can be a challenge for dragons close to them. Spirit dragons are very individualistic, which can lead them to disregard the needs of others. This quality makes it very hard to maintain romantic, or even close platonic relationships. Their endless optimism can also lead to carelessness--they are often unprepared for challenges in their lives.

Advice for Spirit dragons: Life isn't always about the "big picture." Be prepared to deal with the details.

Crystalcourt_Ambassador.png
Voltaic_Ambassador.png
YEAR OF THE AMBASSADOR
June 2018-May 2019

Strengths: Witty, hard-working, adaptable
Weaknesses: Pretentious, unsympathetic

The Year of the Ambassador honors the diverse beastclans that share Sornieth with dragons. These sentient beings come in all shapes and sizes, with attitudes to match. The presence of beastclans can often be a boon for dragons, and these Ambassadors symbolize the centuries-long friendship between these species.

The greatest strength of dragons hatched in the Year of the Ambassador is no doubt their impeccable social skills. Ambassador dragons can read others like an open book, and have the social intelligence to befriend all kinds. Despite this great social ability, Ambassador dragons also tend to be very individualistic. They are diligent workers, able to make the best out of any situation through their hard work and wit. This skill makes them extremely successful in business ventures and other matters of money.

Because they are so hard-working, Ambassador dragons tend to be unsympathetic towards those who are unwilling or unable to work like they do. Ambassador dragons are incredibly proud, which can lead them to a sort of snobby attitude at times. They can often be judgmental of other dragons who have taken different paths in life than they have, especially when it comes to more artistic types.

Advice for Ambassador dragons: Remember that everyone's story is different. Your way through life is not the only one.

Zephyr_Gem_Guardian.png
Emberglow_Gem_Guardian.png
YEAR OF THE GEM GUARDIAN
June 2019-May 2020

Strengths: Independent, reliable, tenacious
Weaknesses: Inflexible, detached

Gem Guardians are notoriously small, secritive creatures, hidden away in the treasuries of wealthy and powerful clans until this year. The Year of the Gem Guardian celebrates these valuable, yet little-known protectors of wealth.

Just like Gem Guardians wholeheartedly serve a single purpose, dragons hatched in this year tend to devote themselves to a single passion. While others may be figuring out what clan to join or which career path to choose, Gem Guardian dragons find their calling early in life and stick to it. This level of focus allows them to achieve incredible accomplishments in their field of choice and also makes them lifelong, trustworthy friends. A relationship with a Gem Guardian dragon can be intense, but strong and enduring.

The single-minded intensity can bring Gem Guardian dragons success, but can also be their greatest downfall. Dragons hatched in this year despise change and can be become very upset by alterations or obstacles in their lives. Their focus on their own work or relationships can also cause them to shut themselves off from others, or appear close-minded.

Advice for Gem Guardian dragons: The world is always changing. Allow yourself to grow and change with those around you.
Qpsus7P.pngDRg3gRE.png0edEIs6.pngNYbLrXm.pngTzaHawP.pngR827Sip.png
THE PLAGUE FLIGHT IS DOMINATING!
I want sprite zodiacs.
well, they could be the months h,
I want sprite zodiacs.
well, they could be the months h,
image0.gif • mays / mayshire / may
• +3 FR time | EST / EDT
• she/her they/them is fine!
• sales tab here! ^^
image0.gif
woah.
woah.
There was a time he thought a single
sword could save the kingdom. A
time, all regrets were yet far away...
Using this for lore definitely! Thanks! Maybe a more specific version for each month/specific familiar after you finish all the years?
Using this for lore definitely! Thanks! Maybe a more specific version for each month/specific familiar after you finish all the years?
8HtYjYR.jpg art-shop-icon_orig.jpg EE6A8YJ.jpg
Very neat lore! Can't wait for the Goblins, Spirit animals, and Ambassadors!
Very neat lore! Can't wait for the Goblins, Spirit animals, and Ambassadors!
output-onlinepngtools.pngI refuse...
@iiSwizzle
@MagicmakerRose

I was actually thinking the same thing for specific months! I want to do those once I get all the years done, and possibly make little badges to put on bios for them!
@iiSwizzle
@MagicmakerRose

I was actually thinking the same thing for specific months! I want to do those once I get all the years done, and possibly make little badges to put on bios for them!
Quick bump since I added Elementals! I want to finish these, but it might not be until tomorrow. :3c
Quick bump since I added Elementals! I want to finish these, but it might not be until tomorrow. :3c
bump! Finally finished them all! Enjoy!
bump! Finally finished them all! Enjoy!
I love this! Can't wait to see what you do with the months!
I love this! Can't wait to see what you do with the months!
Waystone1.gif
@SommerBee
These are amazing and I love them please make badges
[side note: it's unadvised to bump FRD threads]
@SommerBee
These are amazing and I love them please make badges
[side note: it's unadvised to bump FRD threads]

t

t
system (plural) 1 hour ahead of FR time
gear system • he/it collectively
resident roblox nerds & goobers