Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Lore]Flight Funerary Rituals?
1 2 3 4 5
Hey! Just wanted to ask about your headcannons for dragon funerals. Are they buried? Burned? Dissected for science? Are they a big, grandiose thing, small family gatherings, or totally dependent on the dragon?

I'm asking because I just finished with the lore for my own dragon who takes care of the bodies of the slain, and wanted to know what others have done.
Hey! Just wanted to ask about your headcannons for dragon funerals. Are they buried? Burned? Dissected for science? Are they a big, grandiose thing, small family gatherings, or totally dependent on the dragon?

I'm asking because I just finished with the lore for my own dragon who takes care of the bodies of the slain, and wanted to know what others have done.
I love pings! Don't be afraid to ping me; I tend to miss a lot of replies, even if they're right after my own post, so please, please ping if you want me to see!
  • FR+0 Time
jRhMriG.png
I think something like this might be different for each flight!

I believe that in Shadow flight, dragons are buried in small graves near the clan's home and are allowed to decompose with the aid of all the local fungi. A shrine may be built near the grave site and decorated with items relevant to the clan and its fallen as a way of honouring them, and clanmates or other dragons may visit this shrine to remember the dead and lay more decorations and offerings.

I believe that in Shadow flight, dragons are buried in small graves near the clan's home and are allowed to decompose with the aid of all the local fungi. A shrine may be built near the grave site and decorated with items relevant to the clan and its fallen as a way of honouring them, and clanmates or other dragons may visit this shrine to remember the dead and lay more decorations and offerings.
jCVhFoZ.gif
in my lore dying don't exist

pfft what's dying? sounds stupid

(jokes aside, if I did put dying into my lore, I'd probably have some sort of ceremony to honor them and wish them luck for their next life)

(i dont put in dying because that's s a d)
in my lore dying don't exist

pfft what's dying? sounds stupid

(jokes aside, if I did put dying into my lore, I'd probably have some sort of ceremony to honor them and wish them luck for their next life)

(i dont put in dying because that's s a d)
Hello LGBT Community
We have sky burials for clan mates - put them on a really high platform and let the vultures eat them, and return them to nature. But if we are sacrificing things, we just dump their bodies in the Wyrmwound for Plaguemomma.
We have sky burials for clan mates - put them on a really high platform and let the vultures eat them, and return them to nature. But if we are sacrificing things, we just dump their bodies in the Wyrmwound for Plaguemomma.
antlers_left_by_broqentoys-dcsi472.png X
Call me Six
Aromantic • Asexual • Agender
they/them
antlers_right_by_broqentoys-dcsi46w.png
viking funeral
put them in a boat box thing
throw them into the water
n shoot at it with burning arrows
viking funeral
put them in a boat box thing
throw them into the water
n shoot at it with burning arrows
akueye3.png
eat em
gotta survive somehow
eat em
gotta survive somehow
QQnBZuq.gif
if you are reading this you get a cookie
persist/percy | he/they | fr+3
643gino.gif
[quote name="Zhukov" date="2018-11-06 14:57:10" ] I think something like this might be different for each flight! I believe that in Shadow flight, dragons are buried in small graves near the clan's home and are allowed to decompose with the aid of all the local fungi. A shrine may be built near the grave site and decorated with items relevant to the clan and its fallen as a way of honouring them, and clanmates or other dragons may visit this shrine to remember the dead and lay more decorations and offerings. [/quote] Bossdad yells at them for not being able to work anymore
Zhukov wrote on 2018-11-06 14:57:10:

Bossdad yells at them for not being able to work anymore
fLdYOuE.pngNl7xQPH.png
kCHWEjf.png
QUIpVFE.png
Jd88XNq.png
J7D1quC.png
xYQkuHQ.png
I subscribe to the idea of "sacrifices? Boot 'em into the Wyrmwound." But instead of sky funerals, I like the idea that they'll just drag the bodies out into the wilderness and leave them for the surrounding wildlife to live off of.

At least in my clan, death is seen as a regular, and in the case of some dragons, fun thing.

You don't do what you're supposed to? Ya die.
You DO do what you're supposed to, but you don't do what you're supposed to WELL ENOUGH? Ya die.
Any transgressions? Punishments go up to and include death.
The worst offenders get used as bait for the clan's more savage members to hunt.
I subscribe to the idea of "sacrifices? Boot 'em into the Wyrmwound." But instead of sky funerals, I like the idea that they'll just drag the bodies out into the wilderness and leave them for the surrounding wildlife to live off of.

At least in my clan, death is seen as a regular, and in the case of some dragons, fun thing.

You don't do what you're supposed to? Ya die.
You DO do what you're supposed to, but you don't do what you're supposed to WELL ENOUGH? Ya die.
Any transgressions? Punishments go up to and include death.
The worst offenders get used as bait for the clan's more savage members to hunt.
gC4M6ke.pngtn0RSo5.png
At1HVKx.pnguVi0BlM.png
urhsAAL.pngAQPJNOh.png
Water wraps them in kelp and lets them fall to the very bottom of the Leviathan Trench, deeper even than the spiral keep where they are feasted on by the eldritch behemoths that live there.

Only a small honorguard is allowed. To be asked to be a part of a water dragon's honorguard is a precious thing and makes them closer than lovers or family.
Water wraps them in kelp and lets them fall to the very bottom of the Leviathan Trench, deeper even than the spiral keep where they are feasted on by the eldritch behemoths that live there.

Only a small honorguard is allowed. To be asked to be a part of a water dragon's honorguard is a precious thing and makes them closer than lovers or family.
Silver Pocketwatch Copper Pocketwatch
Mmm, I took my funeral aspect for my lore from the religion of WoF Skywings. They leave their dead in high places for a day/half a day so that they'll be reincarnated into a strong flyer.
Mmm, I took my funeral aspect for my lore from the religion of WoF Skywings. They leave their dead in high places for a day/half a day so that they'll be reincarnated into a strong flyer.
1 2 3 4 5